Tendo City
Looking for a good internet/telephone service - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Looking for a good internet/telephone service (/showthread.php?tid=1830)

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - lazyfatbum - 15th April 2004

We're saying goodbye to our expensive cable internet and going with something like DSL. I just started looking at prices and realizing that I hate shopping. So I ask upon the minions of the City of Tendo to tell me what home service I can get that comes with internet.

I'm in Florida, in Winter Park (Orlando).

Guide my hand fellow Tendites! Guide it like you were masturbating a fragile infant! Help me find affordable, quality service in my area! *theme to Indiana Jones*

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - OB1 - 15th April 2004

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from Comcast. They are evil.

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - The Former DMiller - 15th April 2004

Yeah, I'd stay away from cable modems altogether. I don't know who is in your area, but I've had no problem with SBC's DSL service. I've heard Earthlink's is good too.

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - Dark Jaguar - 15th April 2004

Nothing wrong with a cable connection, except apparently in your area it's pretty pricey. Honestly though, I wouldn't expect DSL to cost much less, if less at all.

Up to you though, each system has it's advantages. Living in an area with only a few people having a cable speed connection likely helps me.

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - OB1 - 15th April 2004

Cable modems are great, but Comcast is the wost company in the universe.

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - lazyfatbum - 15th April 2004

DSL = $20 a month

Cable = $40 a month

I wish Earthlink offered a phone service as well.

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - Undertow - 15th April 2004

lazyfatbum Wrote:I'm in Florida, in Winter Park (Orlando).

I'm sorry.

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - Great Rumbler - 15th April 2004

Stay away from Cherokee Telephone Company, whatever you do.

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - Laser Link - 15th April 2004

I've had nothing but trouble from MSN/Qwest DSL. It goes out at least once a week and is out for several hours at a time, plus you have to use a web based mail program. Their @msn is really just hotmail overly simplified, and you can't use that mail without installing their MSN Explorer, which is like the reject inital run of IE. But hey, it's pretty and colorful and has rounded side bars instead of square and big bright icons, so what more could you ask? I suspect they still have real POP3 servers if you have email from some outside source, but their "tech support" will not tell me what the address is, so I am stuck with webmail. And unless you are using a Microsoft browser, OS, modem, and router, they blame all your problems on the non-MS things. Burn Microsoft for their evil!

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - Laser Link - 15th April 2004

Oh, I was quite happy with Adelphia's Cable service, but like you said, it's too expensive.

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - Dark Jaguar - 15th April 2004

The company yells at you for not using MS stuff eh? Well, maybe that's because they are owned by MSN eh? :D Still, really stupid of them.

One thing though LL, I would think you would have learned, as I have, that tech support is utterly USELESS. I tried calling one recently. One thing, I can't get ahold of anyone at a company with english as their first language any more! They are ALL some sort of not english speakers. They should either have taken lines specifically for other languages (and they DID have those lines to choose from (numero sace, or however that's spelled, I dunno because I don't know nor ever want to know spanish, which is a language doomed to crumble in the wind.... eventually) or they should have just taken positions that didn't involve talking with customers. You know, or know english well enough that we both don't get frustrated with each other to the ends of pain. Anyway, first thing, FIRST THING they do is SLAP ME IN THE FACE with various insults they are REQUIRED to tell me like "is your router plugged in?". More than that, if I take initiative and tell them that "yes it's all plugged in and I checked everything", they PUNISH me verbally by saying "I know that but I have to go through this check list so if you will bear with me", so I say "Look, I won't tell on you, just skip it and get to the ACTUAL stuff okay?", and then I'm slapped in the face again when they say "look, let's just get this over with". So, while I know deep down this person is required to do this, I honeslty don't CARE because the company SUCKS for telling them to do that, and the person sucks for not taking control in their life and just skipping these instructions to help me out. Anyway, I get through this moron's inquiry and we get to the part where the person says "Okay, I just can't seem to figure it out". That's not a surprise of course, because generally if my computer ever messes up, it decides to do it on a completely colossal scale, epic like, of which the elves still sing songs to this day. Then, they send me to "tier two" or something. I'm not playing a video game here I'm just trying to figure out what happened to my service! Well, after being on hold at "tier 2" for 5 minutes, they hang up on me, and, not having been given the number, I call again. Now, to hope that I could just tell the person I had been passed up to tier 2 before and I just want to get up there again because they hung up on me is apparently a great social sin of some sort, as they would not do me this service and rather would force me to answer the SAME questions again. At this point, my mind is floating about the universe, pondering the greater meaning of it all, when eventually tier 2 answers. Lo and behold, an answer may just be in sight! You all know it isn't right? After all, I put it like that in such a dramatic way, so it would have to be sarcasm or something right? Right, so moving on allow me to say this person didn't have a clue either, for a while. They said "I'll send someone tomorrow". Lovely, I should have just asked for someone I think. Of course, then I also think "nay you moron, they wouldn't allow such a thing!". Anyway, I go to sleep, dreaming of a net connection that works. Ah yes, what a dream, what a really... really mediocre dream... Next day, someone shows up. She rumages around some cords and then checks outside. Lo and behold! Last person to come by and check on things forgot to remove a special data filter plug from the line! Harumph... Anyway, it's removed, and all is well. For now... dun dun dun dun dunalunalunalunalu...

Looking for a good internet/telephone service - lazyfatbum - 16th April 2004

hahaha well good, now I know i'm not the only one with that experience.

LL/ Adelphia sucks total ass here, they have a monopoly so they yank their prices up and treat their customers like shit. With basic cable (very basic) and internet, Adelphia is charging us over 80 bucks a month.