Tendo City
My very own Zelda game - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: My very own Zelda game (/showthread.php?tid=1726)

Pages: 1 2 3

My very own Zelda game - OB1 - 17th March 2004

My friend and I were discussing what our next game should be, and we've decided to spend a few months on a small 3D project, mainly so that my friend can gain some 3d programming experience and I can put my modeling, animating, and texturing abilities to the test. To make it as simple as possible we're going to make it play like a 2D game, and we think a 2.5D Zelda game would be a fun thing to create. Hey if that one dude could work on a 2D version of OoT and since we're going to give the game away for free, why not? Right now here's what we've decided upon:

-A small overworld, maybe half the size of LA's overworld. Possibly smaller.

-Two dungeons, with two bosses

-Art and controls as close to LttP as possible

I was thinking that it would be cool if the game would fill a specific Zelda plot hole, or just work within the Zelda continuity. So if you guys have any suggestions, please post them. I'm looking at you, DJ. ;)

My very own Zelda game - Darunia - 17th March 2004

I smell a project that will never be completed.

My very own Zelda game - Great Rumbler - 18th March 2004

Heh heh :D

It could be Link's quest to get milk for his grandmother!

My very own Zelda game - OB1 - 18th March 2004

If we start on this we will definitely complete it. We've already finished one game and are almost halfway through with another.

My very own Zelda game - Great Rumbler - 18th March 2004

Make it about Link trying to find milk for his grandmother!

My very own Zelda game - Darunia - 19th March 2004

If we start on this we will definitely complete it. We've already finished one game and are almost halfway through with another.

It's nothing against you OB1, but people (myself most definitely included) tend to be exciting when starting out a big new project, and then bored and tired of it until they abandon it. Like my 4-year-old RPG Maker project, or my countless Jedi Knight levels. People start stories, drawing ambitious art projects, building things---once the initial excitement of something dies down, so does the underlying drive to complete it.

My very own Zelda game - Geno - 19th March 2004

He's right, actually. I lose interest in projects quickly, but sometimes if I let it sit for a few months, perhaps even a year, and come back to it, the thrill returns.

In some cases, however, one can become committed enough to a certain project to keep working on it until it's complete.

He's right, actually. I lose interest in projects quickly, but sometimes if I let it sit for a few months, perhaps even a year, and come back to it, the thrill returns.

The same with my stories---I get bursts of ambition for writing, for a week at a stretch usually--and I type out really good sequences. Then I lose interest. Then I come back---and such is how I wrote my 472-page chef d'oeuvre over three years.

My very own Zelda game - geoboy - 19th March 2004

Welcome to the wacky world of art.

My very own Zelda game - OB1 - 19th March 2004

Quote:It's nothing against you OB1, but people (myself most definitely included) tend to be exciting when starting out a big new project, and then bored and tired of it until they abandon it. Like my 4-year-old RPG Maker project, or my countless Jedi Knight levels. People start stories, drawing ambitious art projects, building things---once the initial excitement of something dies down, so does the underlying drive to complete it.

I know what you mean, but I'm not like that. I take this very seriously as I want to become a game designer someday. A few months ago I came up with an idea for a 2D platformer and for the past few months my friend has been doing all of the programming while I've been working on all of the art. We plan on submitting this game to the Independent Game Developer's Conference in the fall. It will definitely be finished before the summer is over, and you can all have it for free (I'll also be asking for testers here in a few months once it nears completion). We're already planning our next games which will be 3D projects. Our first 3D game might be the Zelda game that this thread is about, and it's not just some "hey this would be cool but I'll probably get bored of it" kind of thing. Believe me, I'm going to try whatever I can to realize my goal of becoming a game designer.

So anyhow, does anyone have any serious ideas? DJ?

My very own Zelda game - Nick Burns - 19th March 2004

Try putting it right before Zelda 2, before the towns where built. Or right after wind waker, when they try to find "New Hyrule". If all else fails, put it at the end of the whole timeline.

My very own Zelda game - OB1 - 19th March 2004

Yeah, with Link as an old fat guy who has nothing else to do now that the world is at peace.

My very own Zelda game - Dark Jaguar - 19th March 2004

OB1, you completed a game? Could ya show us, or let us download it or something?

My very own Zelda game - Nick Burns - 19th March 2004

OB1 Wrote:Yeah, with Link as an old fat guy who has nothing else to do now that the world is at peace.

There is no such thing as peace...

...just be sure that you include Gorons! Carrot

My very own Zelda game - OB1 - 20th March 2004

Dark Jaguar Wrote:OB1, you completed a game? Could ya show us, or let us download it or something?

No, because it's pretty damn awful. :D It had a good concept behind it but it was the first time my friend programmed a game from scratch so it kind of fell apart. It was quite the learning experience though.

So come on, don't you have any Zelda ideas? Yeesh.

My very own Zelda game - geoboy - 20th March 2004

How about Zelda and Ganon get together and have a retarded child named Bork?

:shake:

Sorry. It was worth a shot. :D

My very own Zelda game - A Black Falcon - 20th March 2004

On a vaguely related note I think kind offigured out why I call the LttP sword swing animation "weird"... not just that it looks different but that it has a much smaller-area hit than the LA sword! Just play them and look at the two. Oh and Link seems bigger... and the enemies are tough.

That doesn't make the game bad though, just challenging, and that isn't so bad... :) Oh, I beat the Dark Palace. Got the boss on the first try too! Of course I did use both faries I had with me, but still.. :)

My very own Zelda game - Great Rumbler - 20th March 2004

Quote:So come on, don't you have any Zelda ideas? Yeesh.

Dude, make it about Link going on a quest to find milk for his grandmother!!

Quote:It's nothing against you OB1, but people (myself most definitely included) tend to be exciting when starting out a big new project, and then bored and tired of it until they abandon it. Like my 4-year-old RPG Maker project, or my countless Jedi Knight levels. People start stories, drawing ambitious art projects, building things---once the initial excitement of something dies down, so does the underlying drive to complete it.

That's what happens to all of my writing projects. I've actually been doing very well with my comics, although lately I've been hard up for ideas.

My very own Zelda game - Laser Link - 21st March 2004

That would be awesome if you DID make it about Link going to get milk. I wish that comic had not died. I would love to help you guys test the platformer when you guys are ready. I don't know if you are considering Open Source or not, but if you did (at least for testing), I could help more than just say "Thing X happens when you do thing Y". But however I can help, that would be great.

When I finish my game project for school, I'll put it up so you guys can download it. It will NOT be very good (I'll be happy if I get one track up, and maybe some texture mapping), because I simply don't have the time to put into it now, but I will continue to work on the project until I can feel like it is complete. There are so many other ideas in my head, but I won't let myself get started on something else until I finish this one.

My very own Zelda game - A Black Falcon - 21st March 2004

My point? Bigger range of sword attack than in LttP. :)

And yes, actually finishing these things is hard... I remember doing some Klik & Play games. The ones "finished" were pretty short... :D

My very own Zelda game - Great Rumbler - 21st March 2004

Quote:That would be awesome if you DID make it about Link going to get milk.

It could be a comedy/adventure!

Ganon: Yeah...I know I'm supposed to fight you and all, you know, you being the hero of whatever and my being the evil guy, but you know...I just don't feel like it. I'm tired of doing this stuff all the time, so I'm just gonna go back to my evil whatever and, I don't know, sleep for a year or something.

Quote: I wish that comic had not died.

Yeah, it was an awesome comic. :D

My very own Zelda game - Darunia - 21st March 2004

PUT GORONS IN THE FUCKING GAME, OB1! And in a more prominent role that we had in Wind Waker.

My very own Zelda game - geoboy - 21st March 2004

I think you should have an asteroid or something hit Goron city. That would be cool. And how about only Darunia survives, but he's paralyzed from the waist down.

:D

My very own Zelda game - OB1 - 22nd March 2004

Quote:Dude, make it about Link going on a quest to find milk for his grandmother!!

If we decide to go for something comical I just might do that. :D

Quote:That would be awesome if you DID make it about Link going to get milk. I wish that comic had not died. I would love to help you guys test the platformer when you guys are ready. I don't know if you are considering Open Source or not, but if you did (at least for testing), I could help more than just say "Thing X happens when you do thing Y". But however I can help, that would be great.
How well do you know java? Because my friend is programming the 2D game in java. He's found a really good open source 3D java engine as well.
Quote:When I finish my game project for school, I'll put it up so you guys can download it. It will NOT be very good (I'll be happy if I get one track up, and maybe some texture mapping), because I simply don't have the time to put into it now, but I will continue to work on the project until I can feel like it is complete. There are so many other ideas in my head, but I won't let myself get started on something else until I finish this one.

That's good that you have that kind of determination. I also have a bunch of other ideas that I'd like to see realized but I am completely focused on finishing this platformer first.

Quote:PUT GORONS IN THE FUCKING GAME, OB1! And in a more prominent role that we had in Wind Waker.

Alright, I'll add a grumpy Goron who likes to complain about stuff and doesn't like people. :D

Quote:I think you should have an asteroid or something hit Goron city. That would be cool. And how about only Darunia survives, but he's paralyzed from the waist down.

That's an idea!

My very own Zelda game - Weltall - 22nd March 2004

Quote:Alright, I'll add a grumpy Goron who likes to complain about stuff and doesn't like people. :D

You should make him a Colonel Matterson-type, who walks around all day in full dress uniform, engages in furious swashbuckling swordfights with inanimate objects, plots military strategy against the old ladies down the street and their noisy terrier, and shouts orders to his hundreds of thousands of soldiers, none of whom really exist save for the three or four neighborhood kids who get a kick out of screwing with him. He would also have a lieutenant named Burgess, who is the Mr. Smithers-type and in reality is a cat.

Hahaha, brilliant idea. I don't think my friend would get it though, since he's never been here before...

My very own Zelda game - Great Rumbler - 22nd March 2004

You could make it were Link shoots lasers out his sword when he has full health!

Or out of his eyes!!

My very own Zelda game - Darunia - 22nd March 2004

I approve of Weltall's critcisms. Such Goron tie-ins would be magnificent, and lucrative (since we wouldn't accept any less than a 45% share of the profits.)

Hell you can have 100% of the profits from this game!

Hey, can I have %100 of the profits too?

You can have ONE BAJILLION TIMES the profit that we make from this game!!

Woo!!

My very own Zelda game - Dark Jaguar - 22nd March 2004

You mean you people actually liked that Zelda comic? Okay then, I'll get right back on it! Honestly, the main reason I stopped was because I figured you all weren't too interested, and also because I haven't the slightest idea how to get to where most of the rest of my jokes are going to be. Superman will make an appearence you know. I just need to find a humorous way to get Link to the first dungeon. Ideas welcome.

OB1, just don't give up if you get stuck (like I apparently did). Keep it up and I'm sure it might just be great (possibly) :D. Oh, but if we end up loving it, I would really recommend changing all the characters for original ones so you could sell it as a parody adventure game.

Actually it was this comic, DJ:

If we decide to make a Zelda game it'll definitely be finished. So do you have any ideas?

Oh, well then screw it! :D
Nah, I'll actually be trying to get my old comic going again.

My very own Zelda game - Weltall - 22nd March 2004

Make it so that he accidentally stumbles into the sixth dungeon, using a map given to him telling him it leads to the first dungeon. As he runs away from the far-superior creatures inhabiting Six, he shakes them off... and he does so right in front of dungeon 1.

Or, the map gives him a very, very roundabout way of getting there, involving a 15 mile walk and going through a desert and forest. When he does finally make it, he sees that it was like a hundred feet from where he found the map.

Hmm, that's an interesting thing. I think I'll have something like that in fact. First off, the reporter!

You'll see... oh you'll see...

Let's just say that the whole other Link needs SOME sort of explanation.

My very own Zelda game - Laser Link - 22nd March 2004

OB1 - I haven't worked in Java in a few years, and I never did get into the graphics libraries, but it wouldn't be hard to pick up at all. Although I had sort of promised myself that I would never write Java code again... But that's just my arrogant C programmer side coming out with it's contempt for (true) pointer-less and garbage-collecting languages. :) Alot of the good companies around here (like Lockheed-Martin) work with Java, so I'll probably have to use it for work anyway. It really is safer, and in truth I'm not good enough to take full advantage of the little extras C provides, and I still make enough stupid pointer and memory allocation mistakes that I probably <i>should</i> use Java. So all that to say, yes, I know Java. Sorry about the rant.

It's pretty cool that you guys have at least finished something and are determined to keep working on more. I tried to do a little Tetris thing a few years ago, and got sick of it and never got close to finishing.

My very own Zelda game - Darunia - 23rd March 2004

You could try & explain what the hell the deal was with Wind Waker, i.e. why there was water everywhere.

My very own Zelda game - OB1 - 23rd March 2004

Weltall Wrote:Make it so that he accidentally stumbles into the sixth dungeon, using a map given to him telling him it leads to the first dungeon. As he runs away from the far-superior creatures inhabiting Six, he shakes them off... and he does so right in front of dungeon 1.

Or, the map gives him a very, very roundabout way of getting there, involving a 15 mile walk and going through a desert and forest. When he does finally make it, he sees that it was like a hundred feet from where he found the map.

Heh, that's a good idea. Maybe we will make it a funny game so that I can use some of your guys' ideas.

Laser Link Wrote:OB1 - I haven't worked in Java in a few years, and I never did get into the graphics libraries, but it wouldn't be hard to pick up at all. Although I had sort of promised myself that I would never write Java code again... But that's just my arrogant C programmer side coming out with it's contempt for (true) pointer-less and garbage-collecting languages. Alot of the good companies around here (like Lockheed-Martin) work with Java, so I'll probably have to use it for work anyway. It really is safer, and in truth I'm not good enough to take full advantage of the little extras C provides, and I still make enough stupid pointer and memory allocation mistakes that I probably should use Java. So all that to say, yes, I know Java. Sorry about the rant.

It's pretty cool that you guys have at least finished something and are determined to keep working on more. I tried to do a little Tetris thing a few years ago, and got sick of it and never got close to finishing.

We've found some good java engines so that's what we'll most likely use for our next game. :)

Darunia Wrote:You could try & explain what the hell the deal was with Wind Waker, i.e. why there was water everywhere.

You didn't beat the game, did you?

My very own Zelda game - Weltall - 23rd March 2004

It was explained. Granted, the explanation sucked. But one was given, nevertheless.

I wanna know how Ganon got free of that seal thingy.

My very own Zelda game - Weltall - 23rd March 2004

Because magical seals ALWAYS weaken. It's like... a law or something.

Did they actually explain it in the game? I don't remember.

My very own Zelda game - Darunia - 24th March 2004

You didn't beat the game, did you?

Why--yes I did, and I recall something of the story, but I was suggesting a game that would portray that story.

My very own Zelda game - OB1 - 24th March 2004

Hyrule being flooded? That might be a boring game...

Hylian #1: Hey... why is the floor leaking?

Hylian #2: I dunno... woah! It's up to our knees now!

Hylian #1: Well crap. Better get out the boat then!

*gets out boat*

Hylian #2: So what now?

Hylian #1: *shrugs* Wait for Hyrule to flood, I guess.

Hylian #2: Oh... wanna play cards or sumthin?

Hylian #1: Yeah sure.

*plays cards*

*five days later, Hyrule is covered in water*

Hylian #1: Well I guess we should find a new home now.

Hylian #2: Sounds good to me.

THE END