Tendo City
Twin Snakes - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Twin Snakes (/showthread.php?tid=1713)

Pages: 1 2

Twin Snakes - OB1 - 11th March 2004

So... who got it? Nobody is talking about it? Yeesh.

Twin Snakes - Great Rumbler - 11th March 2004

I didn't even know it was out yet.

:shake:

Twin Snakes - Great Rumbler - 11th March 2004

Oh yeah?! Well, I bet you don't have it yet either!

I bought it this morning... $35 at Best Buy (with the $5 coupon that ABF hates so much) and it came with a free third-party memory card.

Twin Snakes - Dark Jaguar - 11th March 2004

Congrats! Now you can save and worry every single waking moment that the save file won't be there, which it won't. :D

I wasn't aware it was so close to release either. It was months ago that I last heard any REAL news, so I just decided to wait until I heard anything else or it came out, you know whichever came first. Tell me this OB1, does it come with the original Metal Gear (not Solid, just "Metal Gear") like the Japanese release of this game does? I'm still getting it anyway, just wondering is all.

Anyway, it's going to be a while before I get this game, for the same old reasons.

Twin Snakes - EdenMaster - 11th March 2004

Who likes Easter Eggs? Not the holiday oriented fetal chickens, I'm talking about hidden fun stuff!

Well, Silicon Knights was involved in this game, so they've got a little something. Try placing a girlie magazine on the ground and look who shows up...Alex Roivas :).

I'm sure theres more but I've yet to discover them. I'm still amazed how good the game looks.

I'd think saving the multiverse would give her more confidence than that...

Hey, she needed money! The Tome of Eternal Darkness and Pious' staff got surprisingly low resale value, considering their age.

Twin Snakes - Sacred Jellybean - 11th March 2004

Quote:I bought it this morning... $35 at Best Buy (with the $5 coupon that ABF hates so much) and it came with a free third-party memory card.

Hot shit! Where do you get that coupon?

You should have been around during the several weeks when OB1 was working for Best Buy :D. Well, not working, but he was totally selling this thing to us. I myself am interested enough that should I happen to be NEAR a Best Buy in the future when I'm trying to find a game I'll do it (it's pretty far though). ABF however hates companies that succeed.

(WHAT edit button?????)

Oh, and does anyone know if the difficulty has been dumbed down at all? I sure as hell hope not... I watched a video at IGN, though, of Snake shooting Revolver Ocelot (in the first battle), and it looked a lot easier than in the PSX version.

First person view is nice, but the battle is still challenging.

EM: Good to hear, good to hear. I hate games that are way too easy, and the original MGS had a very nice challenge level.

SJ, what are you talking about regarding the edit button? No one here said anything about it... By the way, it's over in the lower right of your post...

Oh yes, I read that IGN review just to check things out. Those people have no idea what they are talking about. It's like they are pretending they actually played the game but were actually asking people who have from the Playstation crew what they remembered, and the PS guys lied to them or just forgot...

First thing's first, THE ORIGINAL VERSION ALSO HAD FIRST PERSON AIMING MODE! In fact, just to make sure I was right, I started up the game. I'm aiming and shooting right now in fact. One of the weapons in fact can ONLY be used in this mode. Unless what they actually mean is that you can now run around while in first person (which you can't even do in MGS2), they just plum forgot about an ability in there. You know, the battles are actually pretty easy once you've figured some tricks out in MGS. Revolver may have only looked easy because they had fought him a lot and memorized his patterns. I didn't watch that video myself though.

I know there was something else they got wrong about the original, but I forget what. Here's the thing, how intact is the Metal Gear theme music? I know it's been heavily remixed, but can it still be recognized, or is it SO remixed that it's like the Hyrule field theme of Ocarina of time, where if you pay attention you hear little strains and bits of tunes that are from the standard theme but it's not recognizable very quickly.

Twin Snakes - A Black Falcon - 11th March 2004

IGN said that some parts (including some bosses) were made a lot easier because you could be in first-person mode at any time...

And as I said, you can be in first person mode at any time in the original, so unless they mean you can now actually RUN AROUND in first person mode (you can't move around in first person mode in the original), then they must have forgotten something about the original. I wouldn't put it past them. They are after just like us, only paid to do it.

First person mode now works like MGS2, I believe. And they specifically say in their review that the first person thing makes some bosses easier... just read the review yourself... :)

Quote:SJ, what are you talking about regarding the edit button? No one here said anything about it... By the way, it's over in the lower right of your post...

Every time someone makes two posts in a row on this board (which is what I originally would have done, but you actually posted one minute before me), someone else always comes out and attempts to be witty (and fails) by snootily reminding them that an edit button exists. I should know, because I'm pretty sure I've done it before.

ABF, I have, and I'm trying to say they are wrong, not asking what they said. First person in MGS2 and MGS1 (original) work exactly the same way. You can do everything you want in first person except actually move around (except when in intrusion mode, where you are crawling in some pipes or something). The only question is if they mean you can now actually RUN AROUND in first person view. It's possible they added that of course, but they never said that. They only mention that you can go into first person mode now, when you could in the original and that worked exactly the same as in MGS2.

Twin Snakes - Weltall - 11th March 2004

Dark Jaguar Wrote:ABF, I have, and I'm trying to say they are wrong, not asking what they said. First person in MGS2 and MGS1 (original) work exactly the same way. You can do everything you want in first person except actually move around (except when in intrusion mode, where you are crawling in some pipes or something). The only question is if they mean you can now actually RUN AROUND in first person view. It's possible they added that of course, but they never said that. They only mention that you can go into first person mode now, when you could in the original and that worked exactly the same as in MGS2.

With the exception of the Stinger and PSG-1, you could look around in first-person mode but you certainly could not aim and fire weapons while in it.

That's kind of relieving to hear. That game would have been much easier if you could aim and shoot in the first person. :confused2 Well, the portion I played through, at least.

Quote:With the exception of the Stinger and PSG-1, you could look around in first-person mode but you certainly could not aim and fire weapons while in it.

So do they mean that now you can?

http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/march04/mgsttsgcn/

Yup, now you can fire from first-person mode.

Oh, and Gamespy has some interesting critiques of the controls... as you might expect they had to make some compromises going from PSX to NGC...

Twin Snakes - Weltall - 12th March 2004

Twin Snakes is running on MGS2's engine, so using weapons in FP mode is a given, not to mention a very welcome addition. It doesn't make the game easier, it just means that if you're a good shot, you'll use less ammo. It also makes the game slightly more realistic, as it would be my instinct to aim for the head, and you cannot do that in the PSX MGS. It also allowed for gameplay instances that could not exist with the engine of the first game... for instance, shooting radios.

What I wonder is if the weapons have been retooled to how they are in MGS2. For example, in MGS1, grenades, claymores, C4, Stingers and PSG-1 shots were instant kill weapons against most enemies, but in MGS2, it would take multiple grenades, C4, et cetera to kill a soldier, with the exception of a PSG-1 head shot (in MGS1, a single shot, no matter where it hit, killed a regular enemy).

Twin Snakes - Dark Jaguar - 12th March 2004

I too hope the explosives are still one hit kill, as that makes a lot more sense, while the sniper rifles have the MGS2 system going for them.

Ah yes, you see Weltall I actually loaded my file at the end of the game and tested the first weapon I came across, which is the machine gun built into that truck you escape in. I tried first person, and firing in first person, and they both worked fine. The only times I remember using first person though were when using the stinger missile launcher and sniper scope myself, so I suppose I didn't notice you couldn't fire other weapons in first person (though you could still look in it). Well, no matter. IGN still gives the false impression that the entire first person feature was added to the game when it was in the original version. It'll be nice to aim, though I will say this Weltall (and it probably applies to you too). When sneaking around, if I find I have to, I too aim for the head. However, when in a fire fight with lots of people around, I aim for the chest as it's a much easier target to hit.

Twin Snakes - OB1 - 12th March 2004

Quote:Congrats! Now you can save and worry every single waking moment that the save file won't be there, which it won't.

Haha, I know I know, but third-party memory cards have come a very long way since the N64 days. They actually keep your save files now!

Quote:I wasn't aware it was so close to release either. It was months ago that I last heard any REAL news, so I just decided to wait until I heard anything else or it came out, you know whichever came first. Tell me this OB1, does it come with the original Metal Gear (not Solid, just "Metal Gear") like the Japanese release of this game does? I'm still getting it anyway, just wondering is all.

Nope. :(

Quote:Hot shit! Where do you get that coupon?

I've mentioned this several times in the past but stopped doing so after DJ and ABF complained about me telling people about great deals. I'll send you a PM.

Quote:Oh yes, I read that IGN review just to check things out. Those people have no idea what they are talking about. It's like they are pretending they actually played the game but were actually asking people who have from the Playstation crew what they remembered, and the PS guys lied to them or just forgot...

Rolleyes

I remember when MGS came out Matt Cassamassina was talking about how great it was in the ign64 mailbag. They don't only play games from their specific channels, you know. I post at a Nintendo board yet--*GASP!*--I also play games from other consoles! Who knew that was allowed! :p

Quote:Ah yes, you see Weltall I actually loaded my file at the end of the game and tested the first weapon I came across, which is the machine gun built into that truck you escape in. I tried first person, and firing in first person, and they both worked fine. The only times I remember using first person though were when using the stinger missile launcher and sniper scope myself, so I suppose I didn't notice you couldn't fire other weapons in first person (though you could still look in it). Well, no matter. IGN still gives the false impression that the entire first person feature was added to the game when it was in the original version. It'll be nice to aim, though I will say this Weltall (and it probably applies to you too). When sneaking around, if I find I have to, I too aim for the head. However, when in a fire fight with lots of people around, I aim for the chest as it's a much easier target to hit.

No they didn't, I knew exactly what they were talking about when they said "FPS aiming ala MGS2". You CANNOT aim and shoot all of your weapons in MGS1. That is a very unique feature to MGS2 which has been carried over to Twin Snakes. As a matter of fact Konami themselves advertise Twin Snakes as having the gameplay from MGS2, including "first-person aiming and shooting".

Twin Snakes - Dark Jaguar - 12th March 2004

Well IGN didn't make it very clear though. They should have said what they meant. Just saying first person isn't enough.

Twin Snakes - OB1 - 13th March 2004

They said "First person shooting ala MGS2". That's what everyone said, even Konami.

Oh and has anyone noticed that Konami hasn't released on single commercial for the game in the U.S. yet? If TS underperforms then Konami is gonna be like "see?? mature games don't sell on Gamecube OMG!!!!" even though they put almost zero marketing behind it.

Twin Snakes - Great Rumbler - 13th March 2004

Yeah, I haven't seen any commercials at all for it. Weird.

Twin Snakes - A Black Falcon - 13th March 2004

I was in EB yesterday and some people saw the game and said it looked good and it was too bad that it and RE were only on Cube...

Well then they should buy a Gamecube.

Twin Snakes - A Black Falcon - 13th March 2004

I know, and that's what Nintendo's hoping, but is it happening much?

More people should be buying GCs, and if they did then we could have WORLD PEACE!!

Twin Snakes - Dark Jaguar - 13th March 2004

World peace, oh yeah big dreams there... Why don't people ever include the REST of the universe?

Twin Snakes - OB1 - 14th March 2004

... because for all we know Omicron Persei 8 and Gargos 9 are all happy and peaceful...

Twin Snakes - Great Rumbler - 14th March 2004

But what about the planet Nintendoo 64? Doesn't anyone care about it?!

Twin Snakes - Dark Jaguar - 14th March 2004

QUARTERS!

Twin Snakes - Great Rumbler - 14th March 2004

NICKLES!!!

Twin Snakes - EdenMaster - 15th March 2004

DIMES!!!!!

(We're going to run out of coins and exclamation points here soon...)

Twin Snakes - alien space marine - 15th March 2004

Quote:More people should be buying GCs, and if they did then we could have WORLD PEACE!!

Nah we would have just have a better reason to kill shiggy for ruining are lives and relationships.
fin ~

Twin Snakes - Great Rumbler - 16th March 2004

Are you kidding? The magic of Shiggy cures all wounds!

LOONIES!!!!!!

No one said we HAD to use American currency!

Twin Snakes - OB1 - 16th March 2004

... back to the topic.

The game is a lot of fun, but it's true that the gameplay is really showing its age. No analog movement, the boss fights are pretty dull now (and easy most of the time thanks to the first-person mode), and overall it doesn't really stack up to newer stealth games like Splinter Cell. The graphics are pretty nice, not quite as good as MGS2 but still nice. Every once in a while the framerate really struggles (I've noticed it in certain areas when more than a few enemies started attacking me while in first-person mode), but it's not too frequent so it's not a huge deal. The cinemas are some of the best I've ever seen in a game before, and it's true that the gameplay pales in comparison to it. Especially the boss fights. You see this amazing cinema leading up to them and then when you fight them it's pretty dull. Just look at the Ninja fight. It's still a fun game, just not as timeless as I thought it would be.

The more I play Twin Snakes the more I get excited about MGS3, though. It looks to be the first major gameplay leap in the series since the original Metal Gear. This holiday season is going to be amazing, I tell ya. Better than 2002, even.

Twin Snakes - Dark Jaguar - 18th March 2004

Twin Snakes - OB1 - 19th March 2004

I didn't read that whole thing, but the lack of analog controls suck! Especially for a stealth game.

Twin Snakes - Dark Jaguar - 19th March 2004

Um, I thought it did have analog controls... full range of direction but not full range of speeds though. 2 speeds is plenty for this game (found the original ONE speed to be not enough though), though I agree that in the future full speed range is a must.

Twin Snakes - OB1 - 20th March 2004

It did not have analog movement. That might have been okay six years ago, but now? Oh heavens no.

Twin Snakes - A Black Falcon - 20th March 2004

You know that 'analog' and digital' are not always great definitions for this? Like a digital joystick for PC. It's digital, not analog, but it's a joystick... 'proportional' is probably the more accurate term. :)

Twin Snakes - OB1 - 20th March 2004

Two walking speeds is most definitely not analog, ABF.

Twin Snakes - Dark Jaguar - 20th March 2004

Eh, whatever. It was enough for me and it's no less than what was in MGS2, so I'm satisfied. I SAID I expect more from MGS3, what do you want my opinion to be?