Tendo City
NES GBA... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: NES GBA... (/showthread.php?tid=1698)

NES GBA... - A Black Falcon - 7th March 2004

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200403/N04.0302.1845.03638.htm

NES GBA... - Dark Jaguar - 7th March 2004

Honestly, considering what games are in that lineup, I can't imagine actually buying them. I mean, most of them are already inside Animal Crossing and can be downloaded onto a GBA as it is. Sure when the system is shut off, the data is lost, but there's really no data worth saving anyway, not that those games were capable of saving data anyway so it's a moot point.

I didn't think these games were worth full price when they were first released, much less now.

NES GBA... - A Black Falcon - 7th March 2004

As I've heard pointed out, GBA games often go for as much as 5000 Yen in Japan, so the 2000 Yen price doesn't seem so bad in that light... and it suggests that here, where GBA games are $30, the NES titles will not be $20. They will be noticably less. $10-15, I predict.

At that price a few of them are worth getting... Xevious and Star Soldier, maybe? :)

Oh and a GBA-SP that looks like a NES will be really cool. I know the Famicom one is cool so it'd be great for us to have one too... :)

NES GBA... - Dark Jaguar - 8th March 2004

There are actually TWO Famicom ones. One has the scheme of the system, and the other has the scheme of the controller. To be honest I've always thought the Famicom had a look that would have SO been great to be a part of my memories. Cheesy but it's in the past, so it's self justifying!

NES GBA... - OB1 - 8th March 2004

Haha, I've never heard anyone say anything quite like that before.

NES GBA... - A Black Falcon - 8th March 2004

... but I like the NES... :)

And anyway the NES was better because the original Famicom had the controllers attached to the system and player 2 didn't have start or select buttons... okay the NES had issues too (the cart slot) but it's what I remember so I like it. :)

I was responding to DJ's comment about wishing that she had old memories of the Famicom.

Don't you?! :D

You're right ABF, the Famicom's controllers were hard-wired. If you wanted anything other, one could plug a controller into a port on the side just for add-ons, but you couldn't get 3rd party controllers. Also, yes it is PATENTLY unfair that the second controller didn't have two buttons, but rather had an almost entirely unused microphone built in (with volume bar... wee...). This might just explain why so many NES games can't be paused with controller 2, and WHY MY SIBLINGS WOULD BE ABLE TO PAUSE WHEN I'M PLAYER 2 IN THE MIDDLE OF A HUGE JUMP AND THEN UNPAUSE AT JUST THE WRONG TIME SO I CAN PLUMET TO MY DEATH! :D Good times... good times... Basically, a lot of the time the US would suffer for the Japanese version's lack of buttons. Well, at the very least they updated both models. Japan's already had top loading, but it added A/V support and the controllers were detachable (though the updated ones that came with it lacked the microphone, which I don't think was ever used, in fact I think a company that did have a kareoke game decided to make their own microphone instead of using the one hardwired into the sytem). As a result, you could use all the cool American controllers with it, with mixed results sometimes though. However, in the US they actually took OUT the AV support the original NES had from the start. Not sure why they would do such a stupid thing, but it wouldn't be the last time. The updated SNES took out S-Video support. Also, all the updated systems except the Japanese updated Famicom took out the expansion port, even though in Japan they were actually used.

So?

Whad'ya mean "so"? I'm providing data, not really trying to make much of a point outside of that. We're nerds, it's what we do.

I was responding to OB1. As in, I knew that, so why do you mention it?

The redesigned NES is best... it does have the flaw of no AV support, but for the NES RF isn't that bad... it's worth it to get rid of that cart slot, I'd say. :)

And yes I imagine that it'd be quite annoying to not be able to pause.

The best of all, if you ignore region issues, is the redesigned Famicom. Since it's got detachable controllers, they are all identical, and as a result second player has start and select. Support is the issue though, as it was in the US actually. It's not about IMAGINING it, here in the US we ALSO had to deal with second player almost never being able to pause. I THINK that Super Mario Bros 3 (US) allowed second player to pause. Maybe that support is also in the Japanese version, even though the system can't support it, because it was added over there for when it gets released here. That would be a curious thing to check out, but oh well. For the most part, it was an annoyance more than anything when you were second player. Also, the Famicom redesign KEPT the expansion port so one could use the disk system add-on.

So why is the redesigned Famicom better than the redesigned NES?

Because it has AV!

Ah. But does it really make a big difference in what you see, AV or RF from a NES?

Yes, for those of us with regular vision.

I have not seen a old-style NES in action in years so I could hardly be expected to remember what it was like compared to a new-style NES (which I have played exactly once, and that was like a year ago)... I was asking a question!

Sounded like your usual "RF is the same as everything" comment.

And DJ, do you mean RCA/composite cables when you say "AV"?

Um no, RF isn't the same as AV. I have a RF thing for N64/Cube and while I can't tell a difference on N64 (I'd need to see them next to eachother to really compare... doing a 'okay what did that look like last time I saw it on RF' doesn't work too well...) I can with Cube because there are diagonal lines moving across the picture the whole time... :D

:shake:

Yes, the red/yellow/white cables. The AV Famicom (that's what it's actually called because that was the main selling point, the controller thing was a secondary thing), by the way, used the same connection cables as the SNES/Super Famicom through Gamecube did, as opposed to the first version of our NES which was like what it was like, you know...

Generally, I don't really care about a small improvement like that ABF, however the fact is that it IS superior, even if by a small bit, if just because of that. Same reason the original SNES is superior to the remodel, due to the S-Video support. Paying some attention a while back, I noticed that colors were sharper, as well as the image itself (less blurry), and there weren't lines through the image. There's a reason I'm not that interested in a new model NES myself, since I actually noticed an improvement. It's not something I'd pay a lot to get, but I'm not going to pay to LOOSE it either. That's the mood I have for all the input updates there have been over the years. The cartridge slot is doubly flawed yes (one for using the spring loaded system, which fortunatly hasn't broken down on my NES, and a second time because the actual contact pins don't have very good contact anyway because it's all on one side as opposed to the normal squeezing of the cart between two rows of pins), but I actually fix the second flaw by opening it up and straightening out all the little pins with a screwdriver every year or so, then it works like it did when I first got it. However, I'd certainly like to get ahold of one of those new NES/AV Famicom controllers for comfort reasons.

Oh hey ABF. Here's how I compaired them on my NES (and it's probably easier to tell on the older systems because of how large and blatent the outlines are). I just had BOTH outputs setup on my NES (and that's how I always have it actually, for no real good reason except that if the output hole is there, I wanna be using it :D), and I kept switching my TV between input mode and channel mode. Saw the difference rather quickly that way.

"Normal squeezing between two rows of pins"? What do you mean? Like how the N64 has the contacts in the center and connects on both sides versus how the Game Boy only has them on one?

And yes the second edition NES controller is quite nice. I've used it... a definite improvement over the rectangle. :)

Yeah, that's what I mean. Much better way to put it.

The Gameboy has a better way of doing it that way though.

The oddest cart connection I've seen though is the VB carts. Rather than all the pins alligned on a card, it hooks up similar to how, for example, a printer cable connects to a printer port. Unusual, but it did the job just fine.

You know that the GB contacts go as deep as the N64? Those gold parts on the GB and N64 are the same depth, exactly... I have a Game Boy cleaning kit and it has one of those cart-cleaner wands, and I discovered a few weeks back that it cleans N64 games just as well as it does GB. :) It did a much better job than that toothbrush in cleaning off that Mischief Makers cart...

Hmm, wasn't aware it was a perfect match, but I always kinda figured most carts have about the same length. That's likely because I never once considered the possibility that they had a different length, but no matter. I myself have been using my SNES cleaning kit to clean all my carts out. I removed the little part that cleans the actual connection itself and thus was able to use that on most of my systems, except GB though fortunatly I've recently found a cleaning cart for those too, likely the same one you have.

Now, if only Nintendo would release a cleaning disk for the Gamecube. I can use my old cd player cleaner on pretty much every single optical drive I have when I need to clean that lense, but the GCN doesn't play audio cds so I can't use it on that one. I suppose it would be a simple enough thing to reach that lense though with a very fine brush of some kind.

The GB Cleaning Kit I have includes a Cart-cleaner Wand, with two ends that each have a pad (both dirty since it's been used a fair amount; I think it came with one or two more of them but they were too dirty to use...) and a Cleaning Cart -- for cleaning the system cart slot itsself, it's a cartidge with a cleaning pad in it. It's got two unused pads because it'll only work on Game Boys (well any type of GB but unlike the wand it won't help and N64...) and because I don't use it. I find that you can always get games to run by just cleaning the cart. Cleaning the system itsself isn't needed. Maybe it was once in a while with the first GB, but even then not often...

I never tend to have trouble with the carts myself because I always put them back in their cases when I'm not playing them. Sometimes I need to clean the connectors, but generally I don't really even need to clean much except the occasional NES cleaning.

Other than having to clean some games I got used (like Mischief Makers, and Mace, for N64), I've found that GBA, N64, and GBC games always seem to work and GB games require blowing onto the contacts if you haven't played the game recently. Oh I could use the wand thing but that'd take time and just blowing on them is quicker, and always works... :)