Tendo City
We Hate Lucasarts Day - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: We Hate Lucasarts Day (/showthread.php?tid=1680)

We Hate Lucasarts Day - A Black Falcon - 3rd March 2004

http://pc.ign.com/articles/496/496351p1.html

:( :( :(

We Hate Lucasarts Day - Great Rumbler - 3rd March 2004

Thank you, Mr. I-Like-To-Post-Threads-With-Cryptic-Name-And-Then-Force-You-To-Follow-A-Link-To-See-What-The-Thread-Is-About! Rolleyes

A Black Falcon Wrote:http://pc.ign.com/articles/496/496351p1.html

:( :( :(

That sucks.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - OB1 - 3rd March 2004

Very much so.

*sigh*

*plays Sam and Max Hit the Road*

We Hate Lucasarts Day - OB1 - 3rd March 2004

*plays... nothing*

*looks all sad and stuff like that one baby picture*

Poor, OB1.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - A Black Falcon - 3rd March 2004

"MARKET REALITIES"? Morons!

We Hate Lucasarts Day - Great Rumbler - 4th March 2004

I'd say the market for adventure games is bigger now than it has been in years.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - A Black Falcon - 4th March 2004

I would too... :(

At least the Europeans are still making adventure games. The Longest Journey 2... :)

Syberia 2!

Syberia was pretty and had a fine story but was a bit too non-interactive... felt 'sterile' more so than most adventure games. TLJ is, IMO, the best adventure game released since Grim Fandango.

I haven't played either [even though I have both] so I can't really say which is better.

Play TLJ for the great story and game and Syberia for the very cool artwork. :)

I already have Syberia installed on my computer so I'll probably play that first.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - Dark Jaguar - 4th March 2004

I've actually heard good things about Syberia. Seems that while on the surface the story seems shallow, it's actually allegory. Sorry Tolkein but I like allegory as well as direct story. I have heard that while interaction is low (and yes, I hate it when an adventure game is shallow like that... unless as I'm about to say), it actually involves collecting hints more than items, so a notepad might be needed. Here's where ABF and I have a huge disagreement. I personally loved Myst because it did just that, but he absolutely hates it. He says it killed the adventure genre, while I well, disagree.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - A Black Falcon - 5th March 2004

Oh it is a fact that Myst led to the downfall of the genre. You can't really argue that whether you think it is good or bad. And I don't "absolutely hate" Myst. I have played it some. It is like a series of pretty pictures with often nonsensical logic puzzles in your path. A very different style of adventure game from normal graphic adventures, for sure... but it wasn't Myst itsself that killed the genre it was its effect. It did extremely extremely well, obviously. So everyone copied it. And failed. And abandoned the genre because it wasn't selling anymore. Simple.

As for Syberia I played the demo. It's just the beginning of the game so obviously it doesn't have much but as I said the game has great graphics, very cool mechanical devices (going with the theme of a factory that makes mechanical toys in the first town in the game), and a story that I'm sure gets interesting... and some puzzles. It is a good game. My problem with it was ... hmm kind of hard to explain better... interactivity? As I said it feels 'sterile'. I really like how in most adventure games you can look at your surroundings and get explanations of things. I miss that feature greatly when it is missing. It's not in this game. Also in the demo at least where you could go was very limited, and all of the people who weren't major characters said next to nothing (were essentially doorblocks for a few cases)... from what I've heard you probably make more conversations on your cellphone than with the other characters... it didn't feel 'alive' or real or something. But you should play it and make your own judgement. That's how I felt (though I'll certainly say I found the demo fun). It reminded me a bit too much of ... well, Myst, in a way...

The Longest Journey is simply a brilliant game. ZIt's a long game, with epic scope (as its 4-disc length suggests -- and it's not just full of FMVs! It's just a fairly big game.), a great mix of both futuristic and fantasy worlds, really good story, nice puzzles... it's just got everything you could possibly hope for from an adventure game. Easily one of the best ever and I'm thrilled that they're making a sequel.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - alien space marine - 5th March 2004

George lucas must be rolling in his grave.

Wait............ he is still alive !

We Hate Lucasarts Day - Dark Jaguar - 5th March 2004

I can argue that because it isn't a fact. It didn't make everyone think they all sucked, nor did it FORCE other companies to copy the design. It's all those who copied it where the fault lies. You can't say it's the original's fault that others chose to copy it. That's just silly.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - Great Rumbler - 5th March 2004

I'd say it's more the fault of the ones who copied Myst and not Myst itself.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - Dark Jaguar - 5th March 2004

But of course. It's not Myst's fault that people made sucky copies of it, and to say it is is a complete logical fallacy. That sort of logic makes EVERYONE responsible for EVERYTHING by extension. You might as well go on to blame the inventor of the gun for the murders the weapon is used in, or blame God for creating creatures with free will when they choose to commit mass genicide.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2004

Myst = Boring. Not an awful game, just dull. Certainly not one of the better adventure games around.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - Great Rumbler - 6th March 2004

I knew someone who had it a bazillion years ago when it came out and I played it some. I thought it was cool then, but I haven't played it since.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2004

It WAS kind of cool then. It was the game that sold CD-Rom drives to the masses... the "killer app" if you will. Because of the graphics it took people a while (like a few years) to figure out that the game was boring... but by then it was too late and the adventure genre was on a unstoppable downward spiral.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - OB1 - 22nd March 2004

[Image: 040322.jpg]

Major spelling errors, but still pretty funny.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - Great Rumbler - 22nd March 2004

Yeah, VG Cats always has lots of spelling errors, but it's almost always funny. :)

We Hate Lucasarts Day - A Black Falcon - 26th March 2004

... I was playing Rebel Assualt yesterday. Still a fun, if way too hard, game...

We Hate Lucasarts Day - A Black Falcon - 23rd May 2004

[Image: index.php?do_command=show_strip&strip_id...9853-12612]

Old, but I just found it. :)

We Hate Lucasarts Day - Great Rumbler - 23rd May 2004

:D

They can't have been thinking much more than that...

But...but the market conditions!

It wouldn't burn up the charts, but I think it'd at least do decently. There are a lot of people who loved Lucasarts adventures, and good adventure games aren't that common anymore... these days they're mostly mediocre European imports...

The market for adventure games now is probably bigger than it has been in years, I don't know what "market condition" they're waiting for but interest in adventure games is going to start fading again soon.

The one where it'll be a guaranteed multi-million seller The Sims-beating game? I can't think of anything else...

We Hate Lucasarts Day - Great Rumbler - 24th May 2004

I think by "market conditions" they actually meant "We don't feel like making it because it won't make a bazillion dollars...and because we are stupid and don't know how to make anything besides Star Wars".

We Hate Lucasarts Day - A Black Falcon - 24th May 2004

Not that they don't know how, but that they have forgotten that such a possibility exists. They didn't use to make many SW games. Those NES and SNES titles weren't made by Lucasarts... and I don't think they were published by them, either. By the mid '90s they built up SW production. And by the late '90s it was the majority of their lineup. Now they make nothing else. Sad. Oh, some of their SW games are great, but LA was great for more reasons than just Star Wars!

I can't say that 'as they made more SW games they got worse', though, because they've made some truly great Star Wars games. The problem now of course is that they lost their talent, and their ideas... their SW games now are not in the same class as the greats (TIE Fighter, Jedi Knight, etc).

So, what I think is that they can make SW games, and in decent quantity, if they want -- that's what they did for years. But what they are doing now is ONLY making SW games, and not making games that are original... and their quality level has fallen so precipitously since about '98 that it's really amazing. In the sad way.

At this point all I can hope for is for them to continue outsourcing. Internal Lucasarts is just about useless now, so for good Star Wars games we have to be happy that they got others in once they failed to keep decent developers.

We Hate Lucasarts Day - alien space marine - 28th May 2004

Lucas Arts is being run by Jar Jar Binks the I.Q of the developers has too drop by 25%.

He had better call Darth Vader and get him to clean house.