Tendo City
What's this white, powdery stuff? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: What's this white, powdery stuff? (/showthread.php?tid=1612)

Pages: 1 2 3

What's this white, powdery stuff? - OB1 - 23rd February 2004

I lived in Europe for four years but still used Standard. When someone would say to me "that weighs so and so kilos" I'd reply "in American, damnit!". :D

What's this white, powdery stuff? - A Black Falcon - 23rd February 2004

DJ were you born in Canada or do you just have strange parents, because most people in the US aren't brought up using Metric... :)

And Celcius is just odd. Oh I know the '0 - 100' thing makes sense, but.. 30 hot? That's just wrong! And anyway as I said Farenheight is more precise. :D

Oh and Farenheight was supposed to have some different numbers I think but there were some innacuracies in Farenheight's calculations and they had to change it some... so now water freezes at 32 and boils at 212 (as I said that's a 180 degree difference -- intentional. Half a circle. :))

Oh I think the thing was about body temp or something... I think human body temperature was supposed to be 100 but he was off and it's actually 92.6 or something like that... I forget about 0.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Fittisize - 23rd February 2004

Quote:They list weight on your driver's licenses?

They sure do....and yes it is something that can change a lot, but maybe you have to get your license renewed more in Canada? I dunno.

Anyways my learners permit (bah, I wish I was old enough to drive on my own legally) has issue date, height, weight, etc.

My [learners] license is flawed, though! I'm 12 kg. heavier then what I was at the issue date! :D

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Great Rumbler - 23rd February 2004

My license lists my weight on it.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Dark Jaguar - 23rd February 2004

See what I mean? That whole unit of measurement is constantly in flux because it's not based on some sure thing that won't change. Seconds are nice and metric, though all other units of time above it, though TECHNICALLY metric for being based on it, don't have the luxery of easy conversation. Still, wouldn't change THAT due to how much easier it is to use those units than having to figure out how many gigaseconds it is until the new game comes out.

Oh and, as I already explained a few times, during elementary my school made a similar choice that really old schools made when they decided to teach the "new math" (you know, the hard to learn stuff that doesn't work?). They all taught us metric instead of english standard. Now, the thing is I think that was the only school doing that in the whole state. Also, I only went to that school for a year or two, as was the case with EVERY school I've ever been to. Why none of them since then decided to get down and teach me standard I am not sure, but I think it's a combination of OK school's lack of goodness (that's FUNNY, LAUGH!) coupled with the teachers just being impressed at a student knowing metric. You have to keep in mind that while most people know standard, they still think of metric as a "smart" standard of measurement (what they don't get is that metric is smart because it's so easy, not because it's something you need a diploma in to understand), so they would actually indulge me and not only allow me to use metric measurements, but went about telling all the others students they should learn too. Really, in retrospect it does seem rather odd. No, I'm not from Canada. I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life.

I bet you didn't read that whole incident with the kilometers-per-hour only sign in the middle of nowhere did you?

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Weltall - 23rd February 2004

Fittisize Wrote:They sure do....and yes it is something that can change a lot, but maybe you have to get your license renewed more in Canada? I dunno.

Anyways my learners permit (bah, I wish I was old enough to drive on my own legally) has issue date, height, weight, etc.

My [learners] license is flawed, though! I'm 12 kg. heavier then what I was at the issue date! :D

I suppose it differs from state to state. In Virginia, you have to renew your license every fifth year of your life (ie. age 20, 25, 30, etc). This is what mine looks like (and I can't believe I actually looked like that once!)

What's this white, powdery stuff? - A Black Falcon - 24th February 2004

Quote:Oh and, as I already explained a few times, during elementary my school made a similar choice that really old schools made when they decided to teach the "new math" (you know, the hard to learn stuff that doesn't work?). They all taught us metric instead of english standard. Now, the thing is I think that was the only school doing that in the whole state. Also, I only went to that school for a year or two, as was the case with EVERY school I've ever been to. Why none of them since then decided to get down and teach me standard I am not sure, but I think it's a combination of OK school's lack of goodness (that's FUNNY, LAUGH!) coupled with the teachers just being impressed at a student knowing metric. You have to keep in mind that while most people know standard, they still think of metric as a "smart" standard of measurement (what they don't get is that metric is smart because it's so easy, not because it's something you need a diploma in to understand), so they would actually indulge me and not only allow me to use metric measurements, but went about telling all the others students they should learn too. Really, in retrospect it does seem rather odd. No, I'm not from Canada. I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life.

And I learned Metric some in first grade too (not as the only units used but we were introduced to it), but didn't then use it for everything... you mean all of your classes were ONLY metric? How bizarre. But at home I'd expect you to use Standard from the beginning...

Quote:See what I mean? That whole unit of measurement is constantly in flux because it's not based on some sure thing that won't change. Seconds are nice and metric, though all other units of time above it, though TECHNICALLY metric for being based on it, don't have the luxery of easy conversation. Still, wouldn't change THAT due to how much easier it is to use those units than having to figure out how many gigaseconds it is until the new game comes out.

Metric people knew they couldn't change our system of time... too ingrained I guess. I mean units of 60 aren't normal standard now. They were for the Babylonians who we owe that to (since the Babylonians had a Base-60 number system), but not anymore... :)

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Fittisize - 24th February 2004

I like how on your driver's it says 'chesterfield', Weltall.

But what does a couch have to do with driving?

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Weltall - 24th February 2004

Chesterfield is the county I live in. I don't understand why I don't have my address as Chesterfield, VA, since many people in this area do, but nonetheless, that's what it means.

Funny, no one commented on how it says I have no class. :D

I actually made a post like that.

But then I deleted it.

btw. in my LA book I found an article about the Metric System in Canada and how it's integrated...bwaha.

Quote:The Metric System [Sort Of]

Canada was declared a metric nation in 1971, and after 2.8 decades, it's safe to say that we're as metric as we're going to get. At first, the to systems, metric and imperial, battled it out-the metricists seized the road signs and thermostats, while the stubborn imperialists reused to buy anything that wasn't measured out according to some body part. You may recall extremists in Ottawa driving all the way to Carleton Place, a distance of sixty-three kilometres, to fill up at a service station that still sold gasoline in gallons. But that's all ofver now. Resistance and insistence proved equally futile.

Purists on both sided have lamented the resulting mism-mash, failing to see that what we have now is a system that's uniquely Canadian. By combing the more sensible features of the metric system, or SI (Systeme International d'Unites), with some long-cherished aspects of hte imperial system, we've come up with a seamless hybrid that makes prefect sense to us all. Let's call it simperial. Like franglais and "Progressive Conservatism," simperial is the ideal Canadian comporomise.

For example, the other day I asked directions to an auction sale: "Drive ten kilometres down this road," I was told, "and you'll see a barn about two hundred feet in from the highway." That's simperial. Only in Canada can a river be half a mile wide and thirty metres deep. At building supply yards, you can buy 100 square metres of shingles and a boz of three-quarter inch roofing nails to hold them down. When I ask my daughter, who is fourteen and has been raised metric, how tall she is, she says "Five four." What's the temperature outside? "Plus three." Simperial.

In our quite, peackeeping way, we took the best features from each extreme and consigned the rest to oblivion. Simperial simply makes more sense than either of its two feeder systems. Nobody's feet should be size forty-two anything. But at the same time, zero degrees, not thirty-two, is obviously the temperature at which water should freeze; if anyone knows that, it's us.

After the auction, I stopped at that gas station in Carleton Place. The pump registers gasoline by the litre now, of course, and when I went in to pay, the guy in the booth pointed his chin at my car.

"How is she on gase?" he asked.

"I get 100 kilometres on siz litres," I said, quoting the manual; I had no idea what it meant.

He nodded appreciatively. "That's pretty good mileage."

What's this white, powdery stuff? - A Black Falcon - 25th February 2004

That's funny... :)

What's this white, powdery stuff? - EdenMaster - 25th February 2004

Fittisize, you need to download the song "The Metric System" by Atom and his Package. From the posts you've made, you'll probably be cheering the whole way through.

Sure, the Metric System is easy to use and remember, but it's just like trying to teach an entire nation to speak a different lagnuage. It'd be a tremendous challenge that would take decades and billions of dollars to implement, to replace a system that works perfectly fine as it is.

Ryan pointed out the issue of road signs. That is but a fraction of the costly changes that would need to be made to switch.

I'm also glad that Ryans lack of class has been recognized by the government :).

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Weltall - 15th May 2004

Oh, now it's mid-may, Virginia's roastin' in the 90s, and by God I love it. I'm tanned, burned (my right shoulder is red as a whore's stoplight), and I spend my off-days at the park writing.

I would like to take this opportunity to again thank etoven for selling me that laptop for twenty bones. With the serenity of Rockwood Park and that laptop, I'm writing better than I ever have in my life. I seriously think I have some publishable shit in limbo right now. This is the first time I've had the euphoria of inspiration PLUS the will to keep it running PLUS the means to do so anywhere I want.

And it's thanks to him and that ten year old IBM Thinkpad. God bless you all.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Fittisize - 16th May 2004

Ya know what, I was just about to make a post saying that the snow from last week melted (the day before it snowed it was 22 degrees, very warm for this time of year), and now the grass is a pleasent browish-green hue.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Great Rumbler - 16th May 2004

Temps around here are in the mid-to-upper 80's and the skies are clear. The perfect weather if you ask me. Soon it will be time for the pool, but for right now it isn't necessary.