Tendo City
What's this white, powdery stuff? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: What's this white, powdery stuff? (/showthread.php?tid=1612)

Pages: 1 2 3

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Great Rumbler - 14th February 2004

Now I remember!! It's snow!! About five inches of it, which isn't a lot by some standards but in southern Oklahoma it only slows like this about once every 2-3 years.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - A Black Falcon - 14th February 2004

I want more snow. It's only snowed twice in the last month and a half and there's just like three or four inches of pretty hard snow on the ground... after those several feet in early December it's been very dry. :(

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Weltall - 14th February 2004

We had five inches of the white shit last month.

If I never see snow again in my entire life, I might not be unhappy. When I was fat and the cold didn't bother me, I was okay with it. Frankly, right now I think a nice week in Aruba would be great.

Plus, when I was in school, snow got me a day off. Now that I work, I still have to go to work, rain, shine, or white shit. So, there's not even a practical use for it now.

I say, bring on the global warming!

Snow is great! It always makes me happy to see it snowing out... :)

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Weltall - 14th February 2004

That's because you never go outside!

I go outside to go to class... so? You have to wear a coat from November to April anyway, so who cares if it's snowing? Actually I like it, if it isn't freezing cold... I far prefer snow to freezing wind or extreme cold... The only problem is if you drive (in a snowstorm -- getting used to driving during winter doesn't take that long). And I don't drive much. :)

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Fittisize - 14th February 2004

I love snow...skiing! And we sure do still have a fuckload of it here. At least it's gotten warmer...on average it's only -10 Celsius now. And it doesn't rain anymore when it's -20. So uh, now whenever I'm going to the city I only see about one or two cars instead of five or six in the ditch.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - The Former DMiller - 14th February 2004

It was just about no-coat weather tonight. I'm pretty sure it was in the high 20s. No snow, though, and a lot of it melted the last few days. Bring on some more of the white stuff!

What's this white, powdery stuff? - A Black Falcon - 15th February 2004

I've heard people in the south consider the mid 20s cold... it's not. At least not in winter. :) I don't know about no coat, though. 30s, yeah, if you walk quickly. :)

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Weltall - 15th February 2004

I don't know about south of where I live, but anything under 50 is cold here. Cold is seeing your breath.

Consequently, 'hot' doesn't start until about 95. Unfortunately, 'humid' more than makes up for it.

'hot' is about 75 or more, i'd say. And 'cold' depends on the season. For summer 50 may be chilly, but for the rest of the year? 20s, minimum... and as for 95, that's absurdly hot and it only gets that warm a couple times a year. It never gets to 100...

What's this white, powdery stuff? - alien space marine - 15th February 2004

What are you pussies complaining about? 5 inches of snow is nothing!
I remeber once a freak snow storm in atlantic canada in 1990 that brought 3 feet of snow all in one day and it was so bad the premier had to announce a state of emergency as many people couldnt leave their homes and some cars were Buried in snow on the highway and couldnt be found untill a week later.

Yes, it's quite pathetic them complaining about that...

What's this white, powdery stuff? - EdenMaster - 15th February 2004

Weltall Wrote:We had five inches of the white shit last month.

If I never see snow again in my entire life, I might not be unhappy. When I was fat and the cold didn't bother me, I was okay with it. Frankly, right now I think a nice week in Aruba would be great.

Cry me a friggen river, you wuss :).

Since the snow started flying, we've had 70 inches dumped on our sorry lakeside asses, and in these parts, spring don't come till late March, so we got plenty left to come. One night a few weeks back brought an ice storm which caked everything in town under a quarter inch of ice. It took me almost 15 minutes to chip enough ice off of my car to see out the windshield and even get my door open. You could have skated on empty parking lots.

You wussies complaining about your five inches will get no sympathy from me. :evilha:

What's this white, powdery stuff? - alien space marine - 15th February 2004

70 inches ? Thats kind of rare and is probaily worse then what I had said.

Well that's for the whole season, but still, that's nothing to scoff at.

To make it worse, we live directly and I mean DIRECTLY south of Lake Erie, thus anytime the wind shifts even slightly, we get punished with snow.

Oh, and around here, 50 degrees is longsleeve T-Shirt weather.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Fittisize - 15th February 2004

It depends on the season up here...if one day it's -10 and the next day it's zero, then that's t-shirt weather. But if in the Spring it's 10-13 degrees and the next day it's zero, then you'll find yourself wearing a light jacket.

Bwahahaha, this is about the ninety eighth time we've had a discussion about weather where we live.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Great Rumbler - 15th February 2004

A Black Falcon Wrote:'hot' is about 75 or more, i'd say.

75 here is considered the "just right" temperature

Quote:and as for 95, that's absurdly hot

Absurdly hot is 105...in the shade.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Dark Jaguar - 15th February 2004

"Just right" for me is a slight chill in the air, so something like 65-70 is perfect for me. Also, ALMOST perfectly clear skies with one cloud covering the sun, and following it from dawn until dusk, is perfect sky for me (sunny, but not overly bright), though I know that will NEVER EVER happen, EVER.

Also, we don't need 70 inches of snow for our vehicles to become encased in a cage of ice. We too end up digging vehicles out of thick sheets of ice struggling just to get the door open. I find it funny more than annoying myself.

Quote:Since the snow started flying, we've had 70 inches dumped on our sorry lakeside asses, and in these parts, spring don't come till late March, so we got plenty left to come. One night a few weeks back brought an ice storm which caked everything in town under a quarter inch of ice. It took me almost 15 minutes to chip enough ice off of my car to see out the windshield and even get my door open. You could have skated on empty parking lots.

Spring in March? Not here... spring is April, and even then it just means that occasionally the snow melts and turns everything into mud...

Quote:Also, we don't need 70 inches of snow for our vehicles to become encased in a cage of ice. We too end up digging vehicles out of thick sheets of ice struggling just to get the door open. I find it funny more than annoying myself.

Garages are good.

Quote:Bwahahaha, this is about the ninety eighth time we've had a discussion about weather where we live.

So? It's still funny to see them complain about a few inches of snow... :)

Oh, and on the subject of heat, I know I dislike heat... but still, the fact that we don't have air conditioning means it matters more... sure you may not find the mid 80s hot but I do. Summer temperatures... 90s are rare and those are heat waves. 70s, 80s... 60s sometimes, sure. But that's fine, I prefer my summers not really warm.

A Black Falcon Wrote:Spring in March? Not here... spring is April, and even then it just means that occasionally the snow melts and turns everything into mud...

Hey, if we're getting warm temperatures in March, then that's considered a good year.

Weather is so screwy here. Winter can start way before Halloween, or as late as after New Years (yes, we've had Christmas without a flake of snow). Conversely, it can end anywhere between March and it even dragged on until May one especially frigid year.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - buckey_lasek - 15th February 2004

EdenMaster Wrote:Hey, if we're getting warm temperatures in March, then that's considered a good year.

Weather is so screwy here. Winter can start way before Halloween, or as late as after New Years (yes, we've had Christmas without a flake of snow). Conversely, it can end anywhere between March and it even dragged on until May one especially frigid year.

i would say that this year is extremely screwey considering it is 12degrees now it'll be in the mid 40s by this weekend. and it's been like this since december.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Great Rumbler - 16th February 2004

Saturday: high 20s, 5 inches of snow.
Sunday: mid 40s, snow starts to melt.
Monday: 60s, snow melts.

:(

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Weltall - 16th February 2004

Hahahaha, we'll see who's laughing come July. You snow bunnies would be shitting your pants if you had to suffer a central Virginia summer. If you ever thought 97 degree days were bad, try adding 100% humidity to it, and multiply it by three months. That humidity makes it ten times worse, when the air is thick, wet, cloying, and hard to breathe. It's what kills the old people as often as heat stroke.

75 degrees HOT? That's less than room temperature!

What's this white, powdery stuff? - alien space marine - 16th February 2004

You guys are pussies! In England its a big deal just to have a clear blue sky.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Weltall - 16th February 2004

We got snow last night. A dusting, really. I still had to waste time cleaning my car.

Many people hate snow because it impedes driving. Not me. I'm quite used to it. However, it does really get in the way and after what in Virginia is considered a monumental blizzard of five inches, it just finished melting after three weeks, so I'm sick to death of looking at it.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Fittisize - 16th February 2004

A change of scenery is good every once in awhile.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - A Black Falcon - 16th February 2004

Quote:Hahahaha, we'll see who's laughing come July. You snow bunnies would be shitting your pants if you had to suffer a central Virginia summer. If you ever thought 97 degree days were bad, try adding 100% humidity to it, and multiply it by three months. That humidity makes it ten times worse, when the air is thick, wet, cloying, and hard to breathe. It's what kills the old people as often as heat stroke.

I called 85 hot, not 75. :)

And at least you have air conditioners...

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Great Rumbler - 16th February 2004

[QUOTE=Weltall]Hahahaha, we'll see who's laughing come July. You snow bunnies would be shitting your pants if you had to suffer a central Virginia summer. If you ever thought 97 degree days were bad, try adding 100% humidity to it, and multiply it by three months. That humidity makes it ten times worse, when the air is thick, wet, cloying, and hard to breathe. It's what kills the old people as often as heat stroke.

75 degrees HOT? That's less than room temperature![QUOTE]

I remember one summer where we had several days with a temperature of over 110 degrees. Now that's hot.

Humidity does make a huge difference though. Here in Oklahoma it's not quite as wet so it doesn't feel as hot.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - EdenMaster - 16th February 2004

Weltall Wrote:Hahahaha, we'll see who's laughing come July. You snow bunnies would be shitting your pants if you had to suffer a central Virginia summer. If you ever thought 97 degree days were bad, try adding 100% humidity to it, and multiply it by three months. That humidity makes it ten times worse, when the air is thick, wet, cloying, and hard to breathe. It's what kills the old people as often as heat stroke.

Things get humid here, too. As I said, we're lakeside.

We have cold winters and hot summers. Never is there a middle ground. This place is so screwy.

Oceans moderate temperatures. The farther from the ocean you are the bigger the temperature swings... well except for the tropics where the seasons are wet and dry not hot and cold. :)

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Laser Link - 16th February 2004

Quote:You have to wear a coat from November to April anyway, so who cares if it's snowing?

That's the point exactly. And in truth it actually is much warmer when it snows than when you get a crystal clear night. I totally agree that 60 is about the perfect temperature, especially in the fall. That just feels like football. The last couple days we have probably been getting up to 50 during the day, so that has been very nice. Still pretty cold at night though.

I used to stay outside all day, and I never got cold. Now I have a bit of a different perspective: My car has no heater and the doors and windows don't close all the way. I have to walk about a half mile to and from school from where I park my car, and since I'm going to be in class or the labs all day I can't really wear a whole lot of clothes because I don't want to haul all that around. And then the fun part is walking and driving back at 9pm. Now I appreciate the warmer days like today.

... they make cars without heaters? I don't think they'd get many customers for that kind of car around here... :D

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Weltall - 17th February 2004

All cars have heaters. However, having a heater that doesn't work is just as well as having none at all. :)

What's this white, powdery stuff? - A Black Falcon - 17th February 2004

True... :)

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Geno - 17th February 2004

In Alabama, it snows about every 2-3 years PERIOD. It's pretty cold out around this time of year, but we've been getting nothing but rain. It rains too much here.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Weltall - 17th February 2004

It's going to snow tonight and tomorrow morning. Dolphin fuck. :(

What's this white, powdery stuff? - geoboy - 17th February 2004

Yes, dolphin fuck INDEED.

If its raining its not cold. :)

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Great Rumbler - 17th February 2004

I beg to differ.

Freezing rain can be cold, true... and I would say rain is far more unpleasant than snow. Snow is light and fluffy and doesn't drench everything... rain is much worse.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - The Former DMiller - 17th February 2004

It's suppose to be in the 40s the next few days and maybe even 50s on Friday! What the hell?! Time to break out the shorts.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Great Rumbler - 17th February 2004

Quote:Freezing rain can be cold, true... and I would say rain is far more unpleasant than snow. Snow is light and fluffy and doesn't drench everything... rain is much worse.

Of course snow is better, but just because it's raining doesn't mean it isn't cold.

It means its not much below freezing...

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Weltall - 18th February 2004

Our snow already came and melted :D

What's this white, powdery stuff? - OB1 - 18th February 2004

It's 65 degrees over here in Colorado right now.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Great Rumbler - 18th February 2004

A Black Falcon Wrote:It means its not much below freezing...

It doesn't have to be below freezing to be cold.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - A Black Falcon - 18th February 2004

In winter, above freezing is quite warm. Here anyway.

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Fittisize - 18th February 2004

Anything about 10 degrees is warm. 15 on a spring day is nice...20 on a summer day is about average.

Ugh, I remember last year I was playing soccer and it started to SNOW. Extremely heavily, only a couple of days away from June. And it was in the first half...we still played the whole game though (I never got subbed off once...I was freezing in my shorts and jersey). The game ended 1-1. There was probably two good shots in the whole second half. :D

What's this white, powdery stuff? - Great Rumbler - 18th February 2004

A Black Falcon Wrote:In winter, above freezing is quite warm. Here anyway.

I consider anything below 50 to be cold enough for a jacket and anything below 40 is too cold for me.