Tendo City
Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Evil, Evil Internet Outage! (/showthread.php?tid=161)

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - A Black Falcon - 25th January 2003

I don't know about anyone else here, but that internet outage REALLY BADLY affected the campus network. My internet connection went down 12:30am Saturday morning (while I was chatting on MSN with DJ, actually...). It didn't come back up until 8:45... PM! Thats over 19 hours! Lets just say that it is not fun to have no internet... not fun at all... especially when its the only way to do much of anything... (esp. with no TV!). :(

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Dark Lord Neo - 25th January 2003

One of Canada's major political parties was holding it's leadership vote last night, and they were the first party to allow online voting, they had to extend the voting periode because of this

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Italian_Pyro - 25th January 2003

I wouldnt call the NDP major.....

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Dark Jaguar - 25th January 2003

It didn't affect me at all, lucky me I guess.

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Dark Lord Neo - 25th January 2003

According to the latest poles they have more support than the Alliance, they've frequently formed provincial governments and have been involved in coalition governments. On the latest poles they have come in third, right after the liberals and BQ.

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - A Black Falcon - 25th January 2003

Lucky... I bet it was the fact I'm on a network on campus... I'm sure their servers went down. Still... 19 hours is REALLY LONG! I was NOT happy today. Lets just put it that way.

Oh, and DJ, this explains why I vanished last night... :(

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Dark Jaguar - 25th January 2003

Strangely enough, right after you left Sheepy contacted me, and we chatted for like an hour. He's currently a TC lurker now.

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Laser Link - 26th January 2003

Wow, I had no idea this even happened. I found a story at MSNBC that had a funny comment I'd like to point out and laugh at. There has been a patch to fix the problem since July, but the article said that it was too difficult do install and many were waiting for a service pack to do it automatically.
Quote:Most patches require a simple download and restart of the computer. But this patch required manual editing of critical system files, something many administrators just aren’t comfortable doing.

That's the funniest thing! I've never heard of a sysadmin who was afraid to mess with system files. They typically love to geek around with everything just for fun. So quit blaming Microsoft for everything. It just waters down the valid reasons why we all hate MS.

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Dark Jaguar - 26th January 2003

Haha, my dad used to be a system administrator for some company here (forget the name), and he ALWAYS messed around with system files whenever he could.

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Dark Lord Neo - 26th January 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Haha, my dad used to be a system administrator for some company here (forget the name), and he ALWAYS messed around with system files whenever he could.

You said used, did he do to much messing around with system files thus bringing the network down

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Dark Jaguar - 27th January 2003

No, actually he got a better paying job at some other company. Now he fixes systems for all sorts of companies, from his home pretty often.

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Dark Lord Neo - 27th January 2003

Cool

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - OB1 - 27th January 2003

I wasn't able to access any of my online classes on friday and sunday.

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Dark Jaguar - 27th January 2003

Wow that has to suck...

Very much so.

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - A Black Falcon - 27th January 2003

The virus didn't hit till early Saturday morning, so this wouldn't explain a problem on Friday...

Must have been something else then.

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - geoboy - 27th January 2003

That's very strange that you were hit so hard. Here's what <a href="http://www.techtv.com/news/security/story/0,24195,3415704,00.html">TechLive</a> said about it:
Quote:The SQL worm first appeared around 12:30 a.m. Eastern Saturday and quickly spread worldwide. South Korea was perhaps the country hardest hit by the worm, with most users unable to access the Internet for a period of approximately eight hours. The worm's effects ranged from mild slowdowns in Internet access to a more serious slowdown of Bank of America's ATM network.

Many experts are currently eyeing Hong Kong as a possible starting point for Slammer, as disruptions were first reported there. However, experts say that even though computer users first felt Slammer's impact in Southeast Asia, it could have been launched from anywhere.

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Nick Burns - 28th January 2003

The worst part of the whole virus is that it's only roughly the size of a subject line in an email message: roughly 350 bytes! Thats small. The person who made that really knew SQL inside and out.

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - Dark Lord Neo - 29th January 2003

http://www.msnbc.com/news/865453.asp?0dm=B15LT&cp1=1
Aparently Microsofy didn't even know how to install their own patch

Evil, Evil Internet Outage! - A Black Falcon - 29th January 2003

Well, the 12:30am EST thing sure makes sense because that's right about when it went down... it was just out for a VERY long time. I wish I knew why... it must have just been that the campus servers got messed up pretty badly...

Oh, and the thing about how MS didn't install their own patch is pretty funny... :)