Tendo City
Star Wars DVDs? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Star Wars DVDs? (/showthread.php?tid=1582)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Star Wars DVDs? - OB1 - 6th February 2004

I already said that it's not about complaining! It's about claiming what's "right" or not!

Star Wars DVDs? - A Black Falcon - 6th February 2004

And I said that people are not perfect and what you do isn't always "right". Same goes for anyone.

Star Wars DVDs? - OB1 - 6th February 2004

Holy cripes, just how long does it take before you begin to understand simple concepts, ABF? Ten pages worth of posts A hundred?

Star Wars is George Lucas' creation, not yours! You don't have to like it, but it's right if he says so! It's whatever he wants it to be!

But if I dislike it I have every right to say so! You act like I should not be allowed to do that!

Star Wars DVDs? - alien space marine - 6th February 2004

I wonder what Indiana Jones 4 timeline will be? Still during world war 2? What will be the relic he is searching for? There is alot of Indiana Jones spins offs Tomb Raider and Relic Hunter this fourth movie will have to stretch thing further then what we have already seen.

I think they should do it during the Korean war in the 50's and have them as the bad guys , Why not toss in a Old Nazi Nemesis to cause more trouble for Jones.What the relic should be? Some magical korean Orb that reveals the future and of course would help any army in battle.

Explaining how Indy ages that much and it's still WW2 would be tough... :D

I think Soviets is a good guess.

Star Wars DVDs? - Great Rumbler - 6th February 2004

It just won't be the same without the Nazis...:(

Maybe not, but we can't have Nazis and a 60-year old Indy... and Soviets aren't awful. But you're right, not as good as Nazis. Are any badguys a better choice than Nazis? :)

Star Wars DVDs? - alien space marine - 6th February 2004

old retired nazis looking for revenge? Looks like you may be right.

I thought Korea as Indiana has never been in that part of the world before.

Star Wars DVDs? - Great Rumbler - 6th February 2004

Well whatever they decide to do I hope it's a good movie.

Star Wars DVDs? - Dark Jaguar - 6th February 2004

Lemme just say this. I own my computer. I can smash it and it wouldn't be a sinful thing to do, but it WOULD be a very stupid thing to do. I think ABF is saying it was STUPID to change it (not that I agree, I honestly don't see the difference, and by the same token don't even see why it was changed, plus I didn't even notice it), not a sin. One can easily judge that some piece of art or whatever is WORSE after the creator did something, and I think that's what ABF means. Does that make it WRONG? No, not in the sense that it was a sin or a crime (well, a crime against art maybe :D), but it can still be stupid or make something worse. He's got the full right to do whatever he wants to his movies and there's no moral problems at all (well, unless he films himself eating babies or something and puts that in the movies), but he could still be said to have made the movies worse for what he did, like if he changed Darth Vader into a nagging englishman.

Yes, that whole ET thing was STUPID. You just know what those police were saying on their walkie talkies.

Police: Where are our GUNS!? We're trying to stop an ALIEN and you sent us out UNARMED?!

DJ: You know, something like that.

Oh GR, I thought they just painted out the guns completely, but I guess some of that was walkie talkies put in (yeah, it wouldn't make sense for them to have both handheld walkie talkies AND secret service style headsets). I thought it was utterly hilarious when a bunch of men walk in on Kaiba threatening him to come with them and all they could do to menace him was all point at him with somewhat badly drawn index fingers, and more than that Kaiba actually saw it fit to jump out the window, off a cliff, and down to jaggy rocks in the ocean rather than face the menacing wrath of those pointing fingers!

Seriously, when did it become wrong for even the bad guys to have guns? They exist! Kids know they exist! They even pretend their fingers are guns when they can't have toy guns, and have for a LONG time! Oh, and I suppose a sword is just fine then? Right...

Quote:Oh GR, I thought they just painted out the guns completely, but I guess some of that was walkie talkies put in (yeah, it wouldn't make sense for them to have both handheld walkie talkies AND secret service style headsets). I thought it was utterly hilarious when a bunch of men walk in on Kaiba threatening him to come with them and all they could do to menace him was all point at him with somewhat badly drawn index fingers, and more than that Kaiba actually saw it fit to jump out the window, off a cliff, and down to jaggy rocks in the ocean rather than face the menacing wrath of those pointing fingers!

Seriously, when did it become wrong for even the bad guys to have guns? They exist! Kids know they exist! They even pretend their fingers are guns when they can't have toy guns, and have for a LONG time! Oh, and I suppose a sword is just fine then? Right...

They had guns originally? That does make that scene make more sense... :)

Quote:Lemme just say this. I own my computer. I can smash it and it wouldn't be a sinful thing to do, but it WOULD be a very stupid thing to do. I think ABF is saying it was STUPID to change it (not that I agree, I honestly don't see the difference, and by the same token don't even see why it was changed, plus I didn't even notice it), not a sin. One can easily judge that some piece of art or whatever is WORSE after the creator did something, and I think that's what ABF means. Does that make it WRONG? No, not in the sense that it was a sin or a crime (well, a crime against art maybe ), but it can still be stupid or make something worse. He's got the full right to do whatever he wants to his movies and there's no moral problems at all (well, unless he films himself eating babies or something and puts that in the movies), but he could still be said to have made the movies worse for what he did, like if he changed Darth Vader into a nagging englishman.

Yes.

Star Wars DVDs? - Great Rumbler - 7th February 2004

Quote:Oh GR, I thought they just painted out the guns completely, but I guess some of that was walkie talkies put in (yeah, it wouldn't make sense for them to have both handheld walkie talkies AND secret service style headsets). I thought it was utterly hilarious when a bunch of men walk in on Kaiba threatening him to come with them and all they could do to menace him was all point at him with somewhat badly drawn index fingers, and more than that Kaiba actually saw it fit to jump out the window, off a cliff, and down to jaggy rocks in the ocean rather than face the menacing wrath of those pointing fingers!

Hmm...yeah I think that was what they did.

Thugs: *points fingers at Kaiba* You're coming with us, Kaiba!

Kaiba: Oh no! *jumps out a window*

Star Wars DVDs? - A Black Falcon - 7th February 2004

Heh... yeah... I watch Yu-Gi-Oh sometimes. I saw most all of the first season...

Star Wars DVDs? - Great Rumbler - 7th February 2004

I watched it a few times.

Star Wars DVDs? - OB1 - 8th February 2004

I never said that ABF can't complain about Star Wars, and I made myself very clear about that. You'd have to be the dumbest person in the world not to understand that (hmm...). What I'm saying is that you cannot claim that Lucas did something objectively wrong to his creation because that is precisely what it is: his creation. You can criticize it all you want, but that does not make it wrong by any means. The same exact thing goes for the walkie talkies in ET, no matter how dumb we all think it is. Spielberg decided to touch up his painting, so to speak. It's his work.

Star Wars DVDs? - A Black Falcon - 8th February 2004

We've already described why that is wrong.

No, you made a comment that didn't have anything to do with what I said. You misunderstood me like you always do.

No. I (and DJ) said that people can be wrong about things!

Quote:Lemme just say this. I own my computer. I can smash it and it wouldn't be a sinful thing to do, but it WOULD be a very stupid thing to do. I think ABF is saying it was STUPID to change it (not that I agree, I honestly don't see the difference, and by the same token don't even see why it was changed, plus I didn't even notice it), not a sin. One can easily judge that some piece of art or whatever is WORSE after the creator did something, and I think that's what ABF means. Does that make it WRONG? No, not in the sense that it was a sin or a crime (well, a crime against art maybe ), but it can still be stupid or make something worse. He's got the full right to do whatever he wants to his movies and there's no moral problems at all (well, unless he films himself eating babies or something and puts that in the movies), but he could still be said to have made the movies worse for what he did, like if he changed Darth Vader into a nagging englishman.

Just because you have the right to doesn't make it right.

That's a poor example. A better example is the Van Gogh one that I mentioned. If he wanted to go back and change one of his paintings, it would very much be right because it's his vision. He could put clowns in all of his paintings and it'd still be right. I think it would be dumb, but it's not my art.

Just because it's his right, it isn't necessarially the right thing to do! Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Gah, why is it so difficult for you to understand anything that anyone ever says?? Yeesh, just shut up for a second and try to understand other people!! Art is subjective, and an artist answers to noone but themselves. They may make art for other people to enjoy, but their decisions are in no way ever wrong in in any manner but in the eyes of critics. And that is irrelevant.

I understand your point! Why do you think I don't? I just don't completely agree... yes they can do whatever they want, and they are free to, and no, the complaints of others shouldn't mean that they should not if they want to... but was it the right thing to do? Not necessarially.

Star Wars DVDs? - Dark Jaguar - 8th February 2004

I agree with both of you. It's not wrong in any sense for them to ruin their art, but in the same breath I say things they do, while not wrong, ARE ruining the art. This Star Wars thing? Don't really care. But if Michalangemelomelolangelo were to crash a helicopter through "Birth of Man", he WOULD be ruining it even if that was his vision.

DJ, that's pretty much what I'm saying... the only difference is whether ruining their art is "wrong" or not. :)

Star Wars DVDs? - Dark Jaguar - 8th February 2004

I wouldn't say so. Art belongs to the creator from stem to stern (not a sailor so I have no idea what those terms mean), so whatever they do to it isn't "wrong", it's neutral. Well, within limits. If Lucas choked someone to death with some Star Wars movie... somehow... THAT would be wrong.

Star Wars DVDs? - Great Rumbler - 9th February 2004

I typed up a post of things I wanted to say in this thread...but then I thought "Do I really want to get involved in this?" and then I decided to post this instead.

Star Wars DVDs? - A Black Falcon - 9th February 2004

You know you do.

Star Wars DVDs? - OB1 - 9th February 2004

Even if Michaelangelo wanted to alter his paintings by putting helicopters in them it would be RIGHT. He wouldn't be as well-respected by critics, but like I said that does not matter.

Star Wars DVDs? - A Black Falcon - 9th February 2004

We are going in circles here...

Star Wars DVDs? - Darunia - 10th February 2004

http://www.CNN.com has the official press release of the trilogy now.

Star Wars DVDs? - A Black Falcon - 10th February 2004

Yup. 4 discs, SE only, not Archival Editions, but with director's commentaries for all three films and a fourth disc with extensive new documentary stuff... hmm, both good and bad here. But I still would really like them to clean up the CG... :(

Star Wars DVDs? - OB1 - 10th February 2004

Yup, and September 21st like I said. I think Lucas is releasing just the SE's to satisfy fans for the time being, and will release the archive editions sometime after Episode III comes out. That's my guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do clean up a lot of the effects shots for the DVDs, as well as make a few changes to them, like adding Vader's theme to ANH (which John Williams confirmed Lucas wants to do).

Why do you want the archival editions before the SEs so bad anyway...

Star Wars DVDs? - Great Rumbler - 10th February 2004

Woo!! Star Wars OT on DVD!! YES!!!

True... they don't have to completely redo the series to improve a few things, like some of the CG and that music... they should do that because in places it doesn't look the good anymore. But still this is definitely good news... :) :)

Darunia Wrote:Why do you want the archival editions before the SEs so bad anyway...

I never said I want them before the SE's, just that I want to know what the heck they'll have.

They said "SEs", but I do hope they do more than just retouch the old film when they bring it to the DVDs... nothing big needs to be changed if it's just a re-release, but they could clean stuff up and (I wish though it'll probably have to wait for the mythical AEs) fix the CG in places...

I believe they are doing some f/x clean-up work.

Good.

For one thing... how about Han and Jabba in ANH... can that be saved...

Just replace him with the Phantom Menace model. I don't know if they'll do it, but Lucas loves changing things for his DVD releases. Just look at all of the changes made to the Episode I & II DVDs.

He made a lot? I didn't know that... I knew they put one of those very short deleted scenes in, but that's it...

Star Wars DVDs? - Great Rumbler - 10th February 2004

I didn't know they made any changes to those movies.

The one I know of is a flyover of the Jedi Temple when they go there... he says that they put it back in in the commentary, which is why I know. :)

What I wish they'd done when the SEs were in theaters in January, February and March respectively, '97, is enhanced the Battle of Endor. They added that lackluster music video in Jabba's Palace; and an enhanced Wampa scene on Hoth...they should've enhanced the Battle of Endor. They never show more than two Mon Cal cruisers at any one time (only two models?), yet two are destroyed, and you again...only see two. They should've added some CG ones in the background; and more awesome shots of the action. Lost opportunity.

Yes, definitely. That would be great. I mean, the Rebel fleet was NOT two cruisers and a few dozen fighters like you see in the movie, it was much more...

Star Wars DVDs? - OB1 - 11th February 2004

He left the Battle of Endor alone because it still looks great today.

The Phantom Menace DVD got a ton added to the pod race sequence, and they made some minor changes here and there. AotC got that deleted scene added to it as well as some minor fixes in some places. And those movies were brand-new at the time, so I imagine Lucas will do plenty of altering to the SE DVDs.

I hope.

Star Wars DVDs? - Great Rumbler - 11th February 2004

Yeah, I just finished watching Return of the Jedi and the Battle of Endor still looks awesome.

Star Wars DVDs? - A Black Falcon - 11th February 2004

But it'd be better with a more accurately sized Rebel fleet. Though you are right, it does look very cool as it is...

Star Wars DVDs? - OB1 - 11th February 2004

The Rebel fleet was big enough.