Tendo City
Star Wars DVDs? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Star Wars DVDs? (/showthread.php?tid=1582)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Star Wars DVDs? - A Black Falcon - 5th February 2004

http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#23166

Quote:Classic Trilogy DVD Announcement Close
Thu, Feb 05, 04 04:44:26 PM EST

We've received information from a reliable source that an official announcement regarding the much rumored Trilogy DVD is expected soon. Our source says next Tuesday (2/10) will bring official word that the Special Edition versions of Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return Of The Jedi will be released in a four disk set on September 21 of this year. No mention was made of additional footage, or the contents of the fourth disk, but more information will likely be known next week.

Oh, and a report of another probable delay to the Indy 4 script. Shocking. Rolleyes

Star Wars DVDs? - OB1 - 6th February 2004

I told you about these last year... they've pretty much been confirmed by everyone but Lucasfilm since last... November, I believe. Next week is supposed to be the official announcement.

I'm expecting them to be the SE's, but I really hope they're the Archive Editions that Lucas and everyone else has been talking about for years now. Ah well, maybe we'll get those in 2007. :S

The script was delayed because Lucas wasn't happy with it. Personally I'm happy about it as I want the movie to be as great as possible.

Star Wars DVDs? - Great Rumbler - 6th February 2004

This is very good news, my VHS copies of Star Wars are starting to get a bit worn out.

Quote:Personally I'm happy about it as I want the movie to be as great as possible.

Definitely.

It looks like the 2005 set is going to be 6 discs, according to a reputable DVD site, but I don't really believe it. Lucas originally planned for the OT to be released after Episode III--sometime in 2006. He probably changed his mind because of how successful the Indy release was and he loved the format (4 discs: three for the films and one for special features) because he's always said that there isn't enough special features for a really huge release. One disc of extra features for all three movies is perfect. But perhaps Lucas is listening to the incessant whining by fans across the globe who want the original versions on DVD as well as the special editions. So perhaps that's why it would be 6 discs instead of 4... but I dunno. Here's how I predict things:

September 2004: 4-disc Indy-style OT release with just the special editions.

Late 2005: Prequel trilogy box set (Episodes I and II have recently been discontinued)

2006: Archive Editions with the original versions, possibly a 7-disc set.

I'd rather these upcoming OT discs be the Archive Editions with the original versions, but I don't know if Lucas has had enough time to finish the AE's.

This is just my guess.

Sounds reasonable. If they release the 4-disc set in September I'll get that and then sell it right before the 7-dics set is released and then get that.

Star Wars DVDs? - A Black Falcon - 6th February 2004

Yeah, he's working on Ep.3 so I don't know if he has time to do as much work as the 'Archive Editions' would take, and if we're getting it this year I'd expect just the SEs with a disc of extras... 6 discs? That would make me think that it'd include the original versions as well as the SE...

Oh, and they should include the old 'making of' stuff -- the Making of Star Wars tape I have and that Making of the trilogy one that includes some stuff from all three... each is just half an hour, and should be there. :)

And as for Indy, it definitely should be waited on until its good, but they need to sometime... Harrison Ford isn't getting any younger... :)

It still doesn't add up quite right, though. Would Lucas release the SE's when he's already making the AE's? Hmm...

Possibly...

True... but maybe he got tired of everyone asking for them and just wants to release something... I don't know...

ABF, Lucas has been working on the AE's ever since Episode I began production, I believe. He's already filmed new scenes for it. Remember that documentary on the Episode II DVD where he mentioned how he was filming a scene for something other than Episode II? That might have been for the AE's. Or then again, maybe Episode III since they didn't go back to Tunisia for that movie.

Canadian online store DVD Soon has the set listed already. See? 6 discs. Let's hope they're right!

What would $76 Canadian be in American dollars?

Yeah, I thought that scene they mentioned was for Ep3... he's been working on the AE's for years? You think? Maybe some but I'd think he'd focus on the new movies... hadn't he said that he'd have to wait until after the Prequel Trilogy to really have the time or something? So I don't know if this will be a new version or just the SE and maybe even the original versions...

Maybe the original and SE now and AE later? Hey, we can hope... but they really need to fix the SE. It's pretty bad in places.

$76 CAD is a little under $60 USD. But that's just a guess price. The MSRP has yet to be announced.

Yes he's been working on the AE's for a while now, a little bit here and a little bit there. He's been doing it while he's been shooting the prequels.

October 19, 2004...according to that site anyway.

It's September, actually. They got some things wrong, so I think the disc number might be wrong as well.

So, here's the question... should they keep the SE on some DVD version? I do think they should have the original version, but if the AE is better than the SE... well, it'll depend on the AE I guess. :)

Original versions and AE only, I'd prefer.

Yeah, me too, given that there is no way it could be worse than the SE. :)

What was wrong with the SE, other than a few less-than-amazing f/x shots? And don't give me the whole "Han shot first!" crap. I'm so sick of that.

... but he did... and it was stupid...

And yeah, I meant the SFX. It's not like they are utterly awful or anything, it just didn't age that well really... the original movies are okay because they don't have CG, but in some ways early (poor) CG is almost worse than none at all...

HAN WAS SUPPOSED TO SHOOT FIRST!!! RAR!! DESTROY LUCASFILM!!! GEORGE LUCAS MUST DIE!!!!

Anyway, I don't see why they change that part, but really it isn't a big deal. It's just looks kind of messed up.

I liked the SE, especially the new ending for Return of the Jedi.

Yes, the added ending on RotJ was nice...

I only own the original versions, not the SE (the "for the last time" boxed set that has on the front of each of the tapes parts of an interview of Lucas by ... ah, Leonard Maltin?). I've seen the SEs a couple of times, though.

I also have that Making of Star Wars in a box that matches that boxed set... it was clearly made after ANH, but before ESB... :)

The CG still looks a lot better than the old effects they used in the movie. Just look at the new X-Wing scenes. The only effects shots that need to be fixed are Jabba in ANH and Han shooting first. I have no problem with Han shooting first (believe it or not, they're Lucas' damn movies and if he wanted Luke to be a ballerina then it would be fine because they're his damn movies!), but the effects looks bad.

... but its so stupid to have Greedo shoot first...

Greedo must be an awful shot to miss a target only 2 feet away.

Poor guy never got a break... pathetic guy really, but still... missing Han when he's right in front of him? Even for Greedo that's a bit tough...

And it looks incredibly dumb!

Yeah it does, but it's not that big of a deal.

It looks dumb because of the effects, but the fact is not dumb at all. Han knew he was going to shoot, so he dodged before he even pulled the trigger. All of you babies complaining about how "wrong" it is that Han doesn't shoot first make me sick.

Why?

Because you guys forget that this isn't your Star Wars, it's Lucas'. He didn't like Han shooting first, so he changed it. That's how it happened now.

I have this to say to you anti-Greedo-shooting-first people:

[Image: tastemyjuice.gif]

So you don't mind anything a creator does to their work? Removing the guns in E.T. was fine too?

Yes, because it's their work! They're not our movies! If Van Gogh wanted to go back and change Wheat Field with Crows by changing the type of birds flying, that would be his prerogative because it's his painting and his vision so he can change whatever the hell he wants.

Quote:Removing the guns in E.T. was fine too?

The changed the guns in Yugioh to walkie-talkies.

That wasn't a creator-decided choice, though. That was network censoring.

Yeah, it was still funny to see, though.

Sure its their work, but that hardly means I have to agree that what they are doing with it is right! Far from it!

It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, you have no right to demand a change.

Rolleyes

Umm, no "right"? I have the right to do whatever I want (within legal bounds)! You certainly have the right to say that you'd rather something be different! Do you expect them to change it just because you think this way? No. But that doesn't matter! Expressing your opinion is always a good thing. Always.

I'm not talking about simply saying "I don't like that", but saying that Lucas has the obligation to release the original versions on DVD like so many stupid people are doing, and saying that Lucas' changes are "wrong" is ridiculous. You may not agree with the changes, but they are most certainly right and official.

Just because he does them doesn't mean they were the right thing to do.

If Star Wars wasn't his creation then you would be right. But they are 100% his, and all decisions he makes regarding them are right, whether we like them or not.

It's his creation. So? Why does that matter? People aren't always right! They make mistakes all the time!

Oy, you still don't get what I'm saying. What you or I think is "right" or not is beside the point. If he wanted all of the characters to be replaced by peanut butter then that would be his right.

He can do it, but it doesn't make it right! As I said, people make mistakes or do stupid things... having Greedo shoot first is one of them. If it was just me it'd be one thing, but this is a pretty common opinion among serious Star Wars fans...

And it just makes more sense for Han to shoot first! It's perfectly in character with him... making him look like a 'better guy' is stupid...

Hmm, I've been trying to find out more about the AE's and I'm getting conflicting reports. Some say it's going to have tons of new scenes added while others say that they're just cleaning up some effects shots and adding some new minor ones in. Lucas did say that there was going to be an "ultimate edition", but who knows how it'll end up.

A Black Falcon Wrote:He can do it, but it doesn't make it right! As I said, people make mistakes or do stupid things... having Greedo shoot first is one of them. If it was just me it'd be one thing, but this is a pretty common opinion among serious Star Wars fans...

And it just makes more sense for Han to shoot first! It's perfectly in character with him... making him look like a 'better guy' is stupid...

Yeah guess what? You're not the one that gets to decide what's right for the movies. Lucas does. You're just a whining fanboy like the rest of us.

And your point is, exactly? I don't see one...

*sigh*

You never will.

I mean, you make no sense at all. You complain about things all the time! But because it's Lucas I'm not allowed to? Huh? What in the world? So he made it. WHY DOES THAT MATTER??? People are NOT ALWAYS RIGHT, even about things they make! I'm sure you agree with that statement, given how you act, so why you are arguing is beyond me...