Tendo City
Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? (/showthread.php?tid=1560)

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - A Black Falcon - 29th January 2004

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/29/news/companies/pixar_disney/index.htm

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - OB1 - 29th January 2004

YES!! Pixar is so great and Disney is going through the crapper. I wonder what Disney is gonna do now that they've abandoned 2D animation and their big 3D studio is leaving?

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - A Black Falcon - 29th January 2004

Not completely abandoned 2d... last year they had the smash hit Brother Bear... but yes Pixar has been propping up their animation department for years now. What now, Disney, what now?

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - OB1 - 30th January 2004

You didn't hear? Disney announced not too long ago that they're abandoning big-budget 2D animation. And there has been some serious conflict within Disney lately, with Walt's son wanting to take the company out of Eisner's hands since he's pretty much been fucking around and doing the exact opposite of what Walt originally intended for the company. It's a big mess.

Here's Roy Disney's reaction to this Pixar news:

Quote:The following statement was released Thursday night by Roy Disney and Stanley Gold:

"As significant shareholders of The Walt Disney Company, we are extremely dismayed, but not surprised by the loss of Disney's Pixar relationship. More than a year ago, we warned the Disney Board that we believed Michael Eisner was mismanaging the Pixar partnership and expressed our concern that the relationship was in jeopardy. In fact, Roy cited this in his letter of resignations from the Board.

"Michael Eisner's inability to manage and nurture crucial creative relationships, like the one Disney had with Pixar, is one of the main reasons we have maintained that we did not believe Disney's earnings were sustainable.

"Steve Jobs, John Lasseter and their team are enormously talented. Pixar has hit five grand slam home runs in five times at bat for Disney. While we expect that the tail of the relationship will continue to provide short-term earnings gains, the loss of this relationship, we believe, will result in the loss of long-term value for the company and its shareholders."

[Source: PR Newswire]

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - A Black Falcon - 30th January 2004

Eisner is a moron and should be fired because he's ruining Disney, but he's in charge and no one can oppose him...

That's not neccesarily true. Eisner is the president of the company, but he's far from invincible. There's a huge movement going on to remove him from power. Everyone at Disney wants him out.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - A Black Falcon - 30th January 2004

Disney exists because of animation! Getting rid of that is idiotic and will bring the company down, in time, I think... it is pretty shortsighted to get rid of it because it isn't as successful right now. Oh, and if you want it all 3d...

You get rid of Pixar who did all your good 3d animation movies. Great, great move.

That's what they're doing.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Geno - 30th January 2004

This reminds me of when Rare left Nintendo, except I don't have to buy an XBox to watch Pixar movies. But yeah, all of Disney's recent good movies were done with Pixar. (With the exceptions of The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stitch.) Well, I heard Brother Bear was good, but I haven't seen it. But hooray for Pixar for breaking free!

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - alien space marine - 30th January 2004

Pixar did so much good for disney.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Great Rumbler - 30th January 2004

Quote:This reminds me of when Rare left Nintendo

Yeah, that is kind of similar, but not quite as big. Something closer would be EAD leaving Nintendo and Nintendo saying that they would stop making GBA games.

Quote:with Walt's son wanting to take the company out of Eisner's hands since he's pretty much been fucking around and doing the exact opposite of what Walt originally intended for the company.

Eisner needs to be gotten rid of.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - geoboy - 30th January 2004

It looks like those disposable DVDs that Disney pioneered (you know, the ones that expire 2 days after you open them or whatever) aren't doing too well either. And after 9-11, the parks haven't been quite as profitable as they used to be.

Jeez. Disney really seems to be headed for the crapper lately.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - alien space marine - 1st February 2004

It should be a Disney helming disney ,Not some rich ceo scum who have no passion for the company and solely care about their own paycheck.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Weltall - 1st February 2004

One thing to keep in mind is that Eisner will have substantial footing as long as Disney remains a profitable company. Keep in mind that they are still terrific merchandisers and that's where a majority of their profit comes from now.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Geno - 1st February 2004

Walt would be turning in his grave right now if he saw how many sequals were being made to classic Disney movies.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - OB1 - 1st February 2004

Yes, he absolutely despised sequels. And now we have Lion King 1.5... *sigh*

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Great Rumbler - 1st February 2004

That's just sad.

I saw an ad for it last night, and a little baby goat died because of it.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Great Rumbler - 1st February 2004

Poor goat...:(

Yeah... his name was Wilbur... :(

Sequeils can cheapen movies its why steven speilberg will never do or allow E.T 2, Just about every single disney classic movie from the jungle book to the lion king has been milked with Sequeils, If want to see what can happen look at startrek. I think disney needs to go back to were it was 9-10 years ago before it ran into these bumps.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - A Black Falcon - 1st February 2004

Walt Disney did not make Peter Pan 2 or Cinderella 2. There was a good reason for that. :barf:

I hate Peter pan!

But atleast Robin hood was not ruined , The one with the Fox and animals.It was my favorite as a kid.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Weltall - 1st February 2004

A Black Falcon Wrote:Walt Disney did not make Peter Pan 2 or Cinderella 2. There was a good reason for that. :barf:

That and the fact that they weren't his stories. Making sequels to someone else's stories is really stupid.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - A Black Falcon - 1st February 2004

Yeah, that too...

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Geno - 2nd February 2004

Indeed. The stories' authors would also turn in their graves if they knew sequals were being made of their stories.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - OB1 - 2nd February 2004

What about Roddenberry and Trek though...

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - A Black Falcon - 2nd February 2004

I really don't know... he'd probably like some things and not others...

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Weltall - 2nd February 2004

OB1 Wrote:What about Roddenberry and Trek though...

The Star Trek idea is Roddenberry's creation, but the creation of the Trek universe and history was the work of many people, some of whom stayed with it a very long time. Star Trek isn't exclusively Gene Roddenberry's creation the way that Alice in Wonderland is Lewis Carroll's, or The Jungle Book is Rudyard Kipling's.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - OB1 - 2nd February 2004

Or everything else Disney made is the Brothers Grimm's.

Not everything, just a bunch of stuff... I mean, Dumbo was original, right? And good, I think...

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Great Rumbler - 2nd February 2004

The Emporer's New Groove was original!! Well...sort of original.

Yeah, and others, but I was thinking old ones. :)

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Weltall - 2nd February 2004

A Black Falcon Wrote:Yeah, and others, but I was thinking old ones. :)

Fox and the Hound? Fantasia? Fun and Fancy Free?

Fantasia is great too.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Geno - 3rd February 2004

The Emperor's New Groove is indirectly based off of The Emperor's New Clothes, but the idea of becoming a llama was certainly original. To my knowledge, Lilo & Stitch is also original. I thought The Lion King was original for years until I learned the plot to Hamlet.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - A Black Falcon - 3rd February 2004

All of their stories are original. After all, most of these stories are darker in their real form and Disney has to make them all happy... :)

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - OB1 - 3rd February 2004

Bambi is sad...

Disney always did seem to insist on a pro-animal point of view in their movies. It's not uncommon for humans to be considered bad guys in a Disney movie.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Great Rumbler - 3rd February 2004

Yeah.

Not just Disney... or did you forget FernGully...

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - OB1 - 3rd February 2004

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/488/488787p1.html

Oh I would be so, so surprised... Rolleyes

I suppose "the white lion" refers to Kimba the White Lion, a 50's manga/60's anime which The Lion King was said to be a ripoff of.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - alien space marine - 4th February 2004

That does look like Nemo.

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - Geno - 4th February 2004

alien space marine Wrote:That does look like Nemo.

Indeed it does. Even though they're both designed to be clownfish, every little non-fish-like detail is included as well. (Such as the big, cartoony eyes.)

Pixar, Minus Disney, Equals... ? - OB1 - 4th February 2004

Well that book cover was done in 2002, before Nemo was shown to the public but also after Pixar started work on the movie. The story, however, was finished in 1995. It's pretty close to Nemo, but not nearly as close as Lion King was to Kimba. And that was a definite rip-off. You should see Kimba the White Lion. It's pretty good.