Tendo City
$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: $99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? (/showthread.php?tid=1546)

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - A Black Falcon - 28th January 2004

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/28/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes

That would be interesting...

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - OB1 - 28th January 2004

And it would kill Nintendo. They'd pretty much have to give the GC away for free to compete with that.

Maybe they could release a $70 system with a regular controller, a wavebird, the Zelda compilation disc, a Mario compilation disc, and Metroid Prime or something.

Releasing the X-Box 2 early, though... as the article says, it'd be quite a gamble and could easily fail. Dreamcast showed that early doesn't automatically mean it'll do better. And it would hurt because X-Box is in part doing okay because it's the best technically...

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - alien space marine - 28th January 2004

If the Xbox was released lets say a month after the PS3 then it would do better, But releasing a year later is unacceptable for either microsoft or nintendo if they wish to win next round. MS needs to sway over sqaure and other japanese developers. Honnestly If the PS3 doesnt have 4 ports or a hardrive I am not buying it.

Erm, ASM, they're talking about releasing the X-Box Next a year BEFORE the PS3 (ie in 2005, not 2006 like PS3), not a year AFTER...

And as for Japanese gamers, they can try harder with things like a smaller console, but the Japanese are pretty insular and it's very hard to get into the market given how much they prefer local companies.

Oh, and as for Sony... 26% drop in PS2 sales = losses. :)
http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6087115.html

This is where Nintendo has an edge. Even at $99 Nintendo is barely losing money on Cubes. PS2 and especially X-Box would be massive money losers at that price... yes, those companies can absorb losses, but how much money do they want to lose?

I think MS may have gained a little experience next try , But a Hardrive is gonna be standard. If nintendo fucks up on online in the next console their toast!

I would like to see either Nintendo or Microsoft win !

I think the reason for Sony's slump is the xbox and the cheap 99$ gamecube, The Xbox has had alot of great bundle deals and Xbox live is the real killing gun,All of the ps2 big games have all been ported namely GTA3 double pack.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - OB1 - 28th January 2004

The Dreamcast failed because of piss-poor marketing, the fact that Sega wasn't a favorite among hardware owners at the time (32X, Sega Saturn, Sega CD all put a sour taste into people's mouths), and poor third-party support. Not because it came out in 1999.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - Great Rumbler - 28th January 2004

An early release, if done right, can give a huge boost to a console. Just look at the PS2 compared to the GC and Xbox.

The PSX vs the N64 as another example, If the N64 was first it would have fared better rolling on nintendo previous record at that time.

Dreamcast had to much agiast it and it had nothing to do with being out early,Sega was in horrible shape , People as you said had a bad memmory of sega,It failed in Japan and only america and europe had decent sales.

Actually rumor says the X-Box 2 might not have a standard HDD...

And early releases... they utterly failed for Sega with the Saturn and the Dreamcast both, you know... or how about the Genesis on the Super Nintendo? A lead only helped it somewhat...

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - Weltall - 28th January 2004

alien space marine Wrote:The PSX vs the N64 as another example, If the N64 was first it would have fared better rolling on nintendo previous record at that time.

Dreamcast had to much agiast it and it had nothing to do with being out early,Sega was in horrible shape , People as you said had a bad memmory of sega,It failed in Japan and only america and europe had decent sales.
N64 actually outdid Playstation for several months after its release. Being late didn't kill N64 because the Playstation was an unknown quantity for a long time. What killed N64 was that after the launch, there was a big software drought right around the time the PlayStation had arguably it's strongest release lineup ever. In the period of time when FF7 and Resident Evil 2, two of the machine's best-selling games ever, were released, the N64 had nothing huge with which to compete, and it remained that way really until Ocarina a year later. It was pretty much decided by then.

There are several more mistakes that decided it, but being almost two years late wasn't really one of them, since most people felt N64 was gonna walk all over the newcomer anyway. People were very willing to ignore the PlayStation and wait for the N64, and many did.

It can be argued that if N64 were first, Sony never would have had the chance to start rolling, but if Nintendo had done things differently, they still could have won in the end.

Yeah, coming late didn't kill the Cube. Losing Square did. Nothing else. With Square went the other big Japanese third parties...

I remember those pics of FF7-N64 in Nintendo Power... :(

Could you show N64 FF7 pics ? I am curious to see it.

I remember seeing one pic. It was in the Mako Reactor at the beginning... looked the same, except it was filled with green gas or fog or something.

There were like two or three pics... dunno where to find them though.

Well, post them if you do. I COMMAND IT.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - OB1 - 29th January 2004

Saying that an early release would be a bad thing for MS just because it failed for Sega is very naive. Microsoft has been doing much better than post-Genesis Sega ever did, and they've yet to make any Sega-like mistakes.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - A Black Falcon - 29th January 2004

But even the Genesis, where early release helped, it only helped so much... I just don't think that an early release is a huge help. The PS2 was a year behind DC and it crushed it. The GC and X-Box? Given the level of Sony success they could have launched with the PS2 and probably only been a bit more successful...

ABF, the PSone crushed the Dreamcast. If the DC were released a year after or a year before, it wouldn't have mattered. You're not looking at all of the facts here.

And what facts might those be?

That the Dreamcast did not fail because of when it was released but rather because of bad marketing, bad third-party support, etc., and that the PS2 was released a year before the X-Box and GC which was a huge advantage for Sony. So saying that it would be stupid for the Xbox 2 to come out a year earlier than the PS3 because the DC tried something similar and failed is completely ignoring these facts. It would not be the same situation as the Dreamcast. Probably not the same situation as the PS2, either, but more close to that than the DC.

And as for Nintendo... http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040129/earns_nintendo_2.html

Sega's marketing wasn't that awful... certainly not as bad as Nintendo's has been for a long time, excepting a few short periods like the last couple months...

And I said Dreamcast, Saturn, and Genesis, not just DC. As I said, it can help some but it's not major deciding factor on who wins... longer term you can recover if in the right position. Unless, of course, your opponent is so far ahead that you'll never catch up... like Sony was when the PS2 came out. As I said, even had MS and Nintendo come out soon after the PS2 I bet it would have still won big.

It was absolutely because of Sega's marketing. When they left the hardware market the president of Sega American even admitted that their marketing was pretty much the main cause for their failure!

If the GC and X-Box came out at the same time as the PS2 then Sony definitely wouldn't be as far ahead as they are now. That whole year with no competition gave them an enormous boost.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - alien space marine - 29th January 2004

Your forgeting the PS2 was horribly screwed up after its launch , Some of the games didnt even have anti aliasing , The PS2 didnt get any hits or killer aps untill the next year. If the Xbox with the fact it was the most powerful of the consoles and it roars in multiplayer and Halo was its best premier title that the Ps2 never had anything like that at launch , had they come at the same time as Sony the PS2 wouldnt be dominating.

That is also true. Well, the parts of that paragraph that I understood, anyhow.

Nintendo would have still struggled, though. Their launch lineup wasn't exactly stellar either...

Better than MS'.

Halo crushed all upon release... :) SSBM was Nintendo's closest title, but it didn't match Halo.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - Weltall - 29th January 2004

If you were into mindless shooters, I guess.

Are we talking about best quality or best selling, ABF? Because Enter the Matrix sold millions of units but it's far from being the best game of last summer.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - Weltall - 29th January 2004

Crappy games sell well.

See: Resident Evil outselling Silent Hill.

'tis true.

Selling, not quality. Quality is irrelevant for success, sales are. And sales are driven by marketing and idiots convincing other people that they are smart and that bad or mediocre games are good. :)

And yes, bad games sometimes sell well.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - alien space marine - 30th January 2004

Enter the matrix is underrated.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - A Black Falcon - 30th January 2004

No, it is not. It is awful and the epitome of liscenced junk games.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - OB1 - 30th January 2004

The game is crap.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - alien space marine - 30th January 2004

I didnt say it was amazing , But I think it is average atleast.

$99 X-Box, X-Box 2 in '05? - A Black Falcon - 30th January 2004

No.