Tendo City
The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The "cool Episode III pics" thread (/showthread.php?tid=1538)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Great Rumbler - 29th February 2004

He looks different somehow...

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - OB1 - 29th February 2004

:D

Well it's not actually Hayden. I think it's just the doll they use for practice makeup.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - alien space marine - 29th February 2004

Who is the red Daemon guy?

yahoo! Storm troopers are back! :far-out: Banana

He's a senator.

EP3: Jackson on CBS Morning Show
Sun, Feb 29, 04 12:31:21 AM EST

Loyd sends us this brief clip about Episode III after catching actor Samuel L. Jackson on CBS Morning Show:

Samuel L. Jackson was on CBS this morning promoting his new movie and was asked about Episode III. He said that all he can say is the "it's the darkest, the bloodiest, and the most adult of the Star Wars movies".

UPDATE
Just found this on the Early Show website:

When he is not golfing, he is very busy working. Soon he says he will have to go to London for the finishing touches on the latest installment of “Star Wars.”

He says, “Episode three is sort of in the can. We shot it last summer. And I got a call last week saying, they need me for, like, three more days.”

About that film, he says, “It’s the darkest of all the ‘Star Wars’ that have been done. I think it’s going to be the bloodiest of all the ‘Star Wars’ that’s been done. It’s the most adult of all the ‘Star Wars’ that have been done. And hopefully it will tie up a lot of the loose ends that everybody has always had real questions about.”

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - alien space marine - 29th February 2004

Whats the name of the movie going too be? Rise of the empire? Return of the Sith? Anakins sexual fetish .

Star Wars Episode III: Alien Space Marine is the weirdest person in the universe

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Darunia - 1st March 2004

I hope it won't be so dark that it alienates itself from the series. Episodes I & II were too colorful, child-oriented and computer-generated to be taken seriously (says I).

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - OB1 - 1st March 2004

And I says that you're stupid, but since you have a Mooninites avatar I will forgive you this time. :p TPM is light-hearted, as it's supposed to be, but AotC definitely has some darkness to it. It perfectly sets up for the tragedy of Episode III. Episode III is going to be dark, very dark. It's the fall of the Jedi, the fall of Anakin, and the birth of Vader and the Empire. Lucas said that it's going to be so dark that he won't be surprised if it only brings in half the audience of the last movie. After Episode III, "A New Hope" will have a totally new meaning. :)

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Dark Jaguar - 1st March 2004

It had that meaning after Ep 1, when everyone realized Darth Vader was the first hope. It won't be any more of a shocker here. Also, it's no secret WHY it'll be so dark.

Finally, CN needs to stop with the 5 min episodes. I can't watch that, it's more like a commercial than a show! There's a reason the first time around didn't really grab the ratings, everyone kept blinking and missing the whole thing :D. Really, it was on once a week and at that, no one could find it in TV guides because they don't shrink entries down to 5 minute sub-shows, and on top of THAT, a lot of people have a habit of flipping on the TV 5 or so minutes late for whatever show they wanted to watch anyway because the time snuck up on them. Maybe it would have had a lot more success if they crammed all the sub episodes into some movie length show. Oh YEAH that would have had a lot more ratings, because it would actually BE a new Star Wars movie. I mean, the whole thing is mostly one continuous story as it is.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - OB1 - 2nd March 2004

Quote:It had that meaning after Ep 1, when everyone realized Darth Vader was the first hope.
Erm What on earth are you talking about?
Quote:It won't be any more of a shocker here. Also, it's no secret WHY it'll be so dark.
Actually it is. You know how it all ends up, but not why or how it happens.
Quote:Finally, CN needs to stop with the 5 min episodes. I can't watch that, it's more like a commercial than a show! There's a reason the first time around didn't really grab the ratings, everyone kept blinking and missing the whole thing . Really, it was on once a week and at that, no one could find it in TV guides because they don't shrink entries down to 5 minute sub-shows, and on top of THAT, a lot of people have a habit of flipping on the TV 5 or so minutes late for whatever show they wanted to watch anyway because the time snuck up on them. Maybe it would have had a lot more success if they crammed all the sub episodes into some movie length show. Oh YEAH that would have had a lot more ratings, because it would actually BE a new Star Wars movie. I mean, the whole thing is mostly one continuous story as it is.
They're short because it's basically a test for Lucasfilm. I too wish they were longer, but don't worry, a regular-sized animated series will come out within the next few years.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Dark Jaguar - 2nd March 2004

YEARS?!

I mean Ep 1 was when everyone figured out Anakin was the first hope, who is Darth Vader.

He does bring balance to the force eventually, but the title A New Hope refers to Luke. And after Episode III is released, that title will have greater meaning to it. Right now we just kind of figure that "bad things happen" and that's it.

And yeah, probably years. Maybe 2005, I don't know. It takes a while to make a new animated series, you know.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Great Rumbler - 2nd March 2004

After they show all the 5 minute episodes they show them all again back to back. Or you could just buy them on DVD when they came out.

Well of course it refers to Luke. Look you said "and after Ep 3 "a new hope" will have a totally new meaning", and that could only be interpretted as people finally understanding why it's a NEW hope and not just the first hope, and Anakin would be that first one. Thus, I was pointing out that we pretty much figured out Anakin is the first hope from Ep 1.

To GR: No. They didn't play them back to back, and aren't doing it now either with the new ones, like they SHOULD. They want them to be a success, they need to make it an actual show and not a commercial.

Quote:Well of course it refers to Luke. Look you said "and after Ep 3 "a new hope" will have a totally new meaning", and that could only be interpretted as people finally understanding why it's a NEW hope and not just the first hope, and Anakin would be that first one. Thus, I was pointing out that we pretty much figured out Anakin is the first hope from Ep 1.

Anakin is the one who will be bring balance to the force, not really "the first hope", although I suppose you could look at it that way.

Quote:To GR: No. They didn't play them back to back, and aren't doing it now either with the new ones, like they SHOULD. They want them to be a success, they need to make it an actual show and not a commercial.

They did show all of season 1 back to back in December. And like I said, the reason why they're so short is because this entire thing is just a test for future projects! Lucasfilm wanted to see how well a SW cartoon would be received. Genndy Tartakovsky mentioned that he'd love to do a full length Han Solo/Chewie series in the future, and I do know that there is at least one SW series being planned right now.

And that's why it should have been full length! They wanted to see how well a show would have done, but this test is completely flawed. They can't know how well a show that people might actually be able to catch would do based on how well 5 minute interstills that aren't even listed in TV Guide do.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Great Rumbler - 2nd March 2004

Quote:No. They didn't play them back to back

Yes they did.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:And that's why it should have been full length! They wanted to see how well a show would have done, but this test is completely flawed. They can't know how well a show that people might actually be able to catch would do based on how well 5 minute interstills that aren't even listed in TV Guide do.

I'm not sure where you get your information from DJ, but the show has been a great success and because of it Lucasfilm is planning a full series.

I'm just surprised you can possibly defend the whole idea of 5 minute shows. That's just EVIL and you know it!

So they did play them back to back eh? How many times? I managed to totally miss it, AND any commercials for it, at any rate. Was it on Christmas day or something? That's like the worst ratings day there is, what with almost no one watching TV at all in favor of doing Christmas things.

They did the back to back thing several times, and not during Christmas. I rarely watch CN (except for Adult Swim) and I saw the ads for it.

Of course I hate that they're so short, but it's either this or nothing. Again, this was just a TEST! Much bigger things will come! Have patience!

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - A Black Falcon - 3rd March 2004

Han/Chewie series? Like that classic Han Solo Trilogy? I loved those books...

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - OB1 - 3rd March 2004

That's what Tartakovsky said he'd love to do.

I think the perfect thing to do would be to make a full-length Han Solo/Chewie animated series sometime after Episode III comes out, which would bridge the gap between Episodes III and IV quite nicely, especially since most movie-goers will probably wonder what happened to Chewie in between III and IV. As you probably know, Lucas has made the story of how Han and Chewie met off limits in the EU, probably so that he could save it for something like this.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - A Black Falcon - 3rd March 2004

Of course remember there are already six Han Solo books (and some number of comics I have no idea how many) set between eps 3 and 4 -- the old Han Solo Trilogy about his exploits in the Corporate Sector, and the newer (ie post-Zahn) Han Solo trilogy that covers a lot of his backstory... that goes over most of it. I'm sure they could fit something in but they'd need to work around the story as it was set in those 6 books (or at least the 3 newer ones, if they don't use that time period he was in the CorSec) if they don't want to really annoy me... :D

Oh and how Han and Chewie met wasn't in the EU? Huh? I thought it was in the (newer) Han Solo trilogy... I might remember wrong but I thought there was something about how Han was in the Imperial Navy, and was sent to a place with some Wookie slave laborers, and got mad at the other Imperials abusing the Wookies and freed Chewie as one of them and that incurred the life debt and got Han kicked out of the Fleet... or is that a bit wrong?

No, Lucas has made the story of Han and Chewie's first encounter off limits for now. Just like no one can do a story of Palp's past yet.

More pics!

[Image: 2.jpg]

New Ep 3 baddie General Greivous. He'll be in the last few eps of the cartoon.

[Image: 5.jpg] [Image: 3.jpg]
[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 12.jpg]

[Image: 11.jpg]

[Image: 10.jpg]

[Image: 9.jpg]

[Image: 8.jpg]

[Image: 6.jpg]

[Image: 5.jpg]

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Dark Jaguar - 3rd March 2004

That guy with the skull mask looks a lot like the guy in Xenogears who wants to kill god.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - OB1 - 4th March 2004

Post a pic!

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Darunia - 4th March 2004

The sets look very nice. It all looks very nice--I just consistently object to how the ships, characters and everything in Episodes I-III looks so much more advanced than IV-VI. It was inevitable since they went from models to computer. I think they should've STILL used models for close-ups and some shots. And actors in lieu of too many clone troopers for the close-ups and dialogues. But what do I know---I'm just a humbler Emperor of the divine race.

---Barry

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - A Black Falcon - 4th March 2004

But Ep3 clearly has style connections to the old ones and has lots of 70s-looking stuff in it... okay it looks more advanced but you cannot get around that. It will.

Oh and OB1 then what was I reading? It seemed to me like a story about Han's early life... :)

Darunia: They did use models in Episode III. LOTS of them. You just can't tell them apart from the incredible CGI, so you think it's all CGI. And the reason why things look dirtier and crappier in the OT is not because they're using CG in the prequels, the look is very intentional (and it's easy to make things old and rusty in CG, believe it or not!). Before the OT, the Republic was prosperous and (kinda) peaceful, and the economy was great. Then everything started to go wrong, and the Emperor took over the galaxy. Now people are oppressed and poor and can't afford shiny new Naboo cruisers.

ABF: I'm not sure what you read.

I don't remember exactly what the book covers, but I know it goes through Han's life from the beginning...

Not his first meeting with Chewie.

I'll check. But not now. By next week I will have. :)

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Dark Jaguar - 4th March 2004

Darunia's eyes aren't exactly the sharpest in the world, well it's the brain that does the part of difference telling rather than the eyes... so... The CGI is great but it's not yet at the level of being indistinguishable from real life.

Anyway, here's a picture of the Xenogears skull helmet guy. Red rather than grey, and there's some differences, but the similarities are clear. Behold, Grauf!

Eh, that looks nothing like Grevious. Do you have a clearer pic?

And yes CGI isn't 100% photorealistic just yet, but you cannot tell the difference between miniatures and CG buildings in AotC.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Dark Jaguar - 4th March 2004

Eh, no nothing clearer. It's basically got the exact same "skull face inside of a gigantic neck" thing.

Uh, Grevious doesn't have a gigantic neck, and he's a cyborg who is basically some rotten flesh and brains inside of a droid head. Here are some better pics:

[Image: general_grievous_clone_wars.jpg]

[Image: 4.jpg]

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Great Rumbler - 5th March 2004

Those pics don't work.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - OB1 - 5th March 2004

Go to grilled-sarlacc.com

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Darunia - 5th March 2004

Darunia's eyes aren't exactly the sharpest in the world,

True, for a Goron, my eyes are poor; but the poorest Goron eyes are 6x better than the best human eyes. I don't care how über-real the computer is, the colorful scenery and characters (expecially in Episode II) were not realistic. Tatooine was very, very real in Episode IV--grittily life-like, in as much as that I could believe that this was a real place. Granted that some planets cannot be recreated without computers (i.e. the watery-stormy world where the clones were created)...but Geonosis was just blah. And the Geonosians were lamely unrealistic. I KNOW they're the best technology, but it's no replacement for synthetic puppetry for realism (if not for realistic motion). I also think that the puppet Yoda was better-looking than the CG-Yoda.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Dark Jaguar - 5th March 2004

Oh come now, you gorons can't take a little volcano ash in the eyes without bawling for processed eye of frog. Don't talk to me about vision you pupil-less jackass!

Wow, those pics show a much different head OB1. No "neck hood" there. Point taken.

Um, rotting flesh? Wouldn't that kill him in a horrific fasion? If I had flesh in my cyborg body, I'd want it all fully healthy!

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - OB1 - 6th March 2004

Darunia, a lot of Geonosis was models just like the stuff in the OT. You're just anti-CG because that's the popular thing to be right now. "Rubber muppets are SO much more realistic than terrific CGI!!".

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Dark Jaguar - 6th March 2004

I wasn't aware CG was popular to hate right now, at all. I mean, everyone I talk to likes them more than puppets. I suppose hating CG might happen under the whole "keep it real dog" mindset everyone has, but thanks to Lord of the Rings, people actually feel like using their imaginations again.

Are you sure the CG hatred thing preferring puppets isn't just some weird Star Wars fan trend?

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2004

For example the great stadium on Geonosis was a model... of course like everything in the PT it was computer-enhanced, but it was based on a model. As OB1 said the movies are a mix of model and CG... and when it's done well you really can't tell the difference. In some places you can, and a lot of the time you can tell when something isn't real... but still it's as good as it possibly could be and in plenty of places (especially in backgrounds and stuff) looks real enough to not matter. Clone Troopers and stuff are obvious, but buildings and sets? Can you tell which parts are CG, which parts are miniatures, and which parts full size set?

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Great Rumbler - 6th March 2004

I think Darunia's hatred of CG stems from nostalgia more than anything else.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Darunia - 6th March 2004

Darunia, a lot of Geonosis was models just like the stuff in the OT. You're just anti-CG because that's the popular thing to be right now. "Rubber muppets are SO much more realistic than terrific CGI!!"-----Are you saying that being anti-CG is popular, or CG-is actually popular in itself? Either way, I'm oblivious to popular fads; I attack the CG because it makes Episode II more akin to a really sophisticated video game than a movie. Compare a still from Episode IV with real guys in stormtrooper armor to a still close-up from Episode II with a clone trooper. Close, but no stogie.

I think Darunia's hatred of CG stems from nostalgia more than anything else.

Most likely.

As OB1 said the movies are a mix of model and CG... and when it's done well you really can't tell the difference.-----That's vehemently wrong, OB1's part that is. You could almost always tells a CG clone trooper from a real-life guy---for massive battles, obviously thousands of CG troops are best, but for close-ups, just use an actor!

Clone Troopers and stuff are obvious, but buildings and sets? Can you tell which parts are CG, which parts are miniatures, and which parts full size set and when it's done well you really can't tell the difference.-------My argument is about the unconvincing CG characters, not so much the background.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2004

Not the backgrounds? But you object to CG! CG is heavily used in the backgrounds. The backgrounds are in most places a mix of model, CG, and live action sets... and in many places you truly cannot tell. You can tell it isn't quite real, in many cases, but is it a set or CG? You can't tell that. Well not until something that a model couldn't do happens... :)

And you are right, CG characters do not look real, and can be told apart from real people for the most part (I bet you missed the couple places where Obi-Wan was CG in AotC!). But... CG Yoda vs puppet Yoda? I'd take the CG. Much cooler and more versatile and it can do so much the puppet cannot. Clone troopers? For mass numbers like was common obviously the CG is necessary. For a couple you could use actors I guess but why? The CG ones look pretty good...

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - Great Rumbler - 7th March 2004

I think I'll go watch Episode 2 and see how the clone troopers look.

The "cool Episode III pics" thread - OB1 - 7th March 2004

DJ: Most people who are into movies despise CG and use terms like "it looks like a video game" like Darunia just said. Seriously, they would rather see fake muppets and rubber suits than realistic CG.

Quote:That's vehemently wrong, OB1's part that is. You could almost always tells a CG clone trooper from a real-life guy---for massive battles, obviously thousands of CG troops are best, but for close-ups, just use an actor!

Actually in some shots certain body parts (I won't say which just yet) were real. Try and guess which shots they were and of which body parts. You won't be able to tell. You know why? Because the Clone Trooper models are perfect. You only say they look fake because I told you they were.

I bet you also would have liked it if Yoda was a muppet in AotC, right? That would have been a great fight scene, having a muppet thrown around!