Tendo City
Help me sort something out - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Help me sort something out (/showthread.php?tid=1431)

Help me sort something out - Fittisize - 31st December 2003

Who's the better athlete, Mike Weir or Eric Gagne?? Grr, it should be no question, GAGNE! Weir was the third best golfer in the PGA, but Gagne was the NUMBER ONE player in baseball! Gagne made it into the record books this year, won the Cy Young (as a reliever) and absolutely destroyed the theory of 'nobody's perfect'. Sure Weir was a lefty and won one masters (first in over ten years to do so, and quite a respectable feat, as most courses are made to favour righties...bastards) but still...

I do not see how everybody seems to favour Weir over Gagne, when Gagne is clearly the superior athlete of the two.

Help me sort something out - The Former DMiller - 31st December 2003

Being a pitcher in baseball is a lot harder than being a golfer so I have to go with Gagne.

Phew...just that Weir was picked over Gagne for the Conacher award (Canada's top male athlete) and I thought that was a horrible decision.

Not that I have anything against Weir or anything.

Help me sort something out - The Former DMiller - 31st December 2003

Okay, so it's an award for the best Canadian in sports, not necessarily the best athlete. I'd still go with Gagne, though, because he was the most dominant pitcher in baseball in 2003. Everyone feared being behind to the Dodgers in the late innings because they knew Gagne was lurking in the 9th.

Help me sort something out - OB1 - 31st December 2003

Bo Jackson!

Help me sort something out - Dark Lord Neo - 31st December 2003

I think the reason Weir was chosen was because his impact on Canadian sports was more significant than Gagne's.
He was the first Canadian to win a PGA championship and statistics show that his win helped increase intrest in the sport among Canadians and increased the number of people who decided to give golf a try.
And remember it's all politics

Help me sort something out - OB1 - 31st December 2003

Bo Jackson played both pro baseball and pro football at the same time. Is that crazy or what??

Fine, fine, I'll leave.

Bo Jackson is one of the greatest athletes of all time.

Ha ha I remember when I was little and ate Pro-Stars cereal there'd be little cards that would have cartoon versions of Bo Jackson, Wayne Gretzky, and Michael Jordan when they were all in their prime. I still have the cards, too. :D

Ok, my list for the top athletes of all time: (by what they did for their respective sports(s))

1.Wayne Gretzky
2.Bo Jackson
3.Michael Jordan

There can't be a four and five and so on, without it being subject to lots of debate, but those three definently stand head and shoulders above the rest, but others that would be close:

(these are only for baseball players btw)
Barry Bonds, Nolan Ryan, Mickey Mantle (had he not been so extremely hard on his body, he coulda done 90 times better)

Help me sort something out - Laser Link - 2nd January 2004

Eh, I don't really see the big deal about playing two sports at once. Sure, it's harder, but not that big. Deion Sanders did it also, and before we get into the Deion revering I should also mention that Brian Jordan played both baseball and football as well and he's not a superstar. And a lot of players are drafted by two sports.

Though I should mention that I'm not a big Bo Jackson fan, as he was a Raider.

Help me sort something out - OB1 - 2nd January 2004

It's like being a chef and an astronaut at the same time! A pretend astronaut of course, but that still counts!

Help me sort something out - Dark Lord Neo - 2nd January 2004

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
It's like being a chef and an astronaut at the same time! A pretend astronaut of course, but that still counts!
You could always be the chef on a shuttle mission

Help me sort something out - OB1 - 3rd January 2004

I don't think chefs are allowed in space...

*looks down, kicks the dirt beneath his feet and sighs, dropping his chef hat and spatula*