Tendo City
Sword of Mana Interview - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Sword of Mana Interview (/showthread.php?tid=1428)

Pages: 1 2

Sword of Mana Interview - The Former DMiller - 27th December 2003

This was my first ever live interview, and I hope I did a good job. The guy I interviewed wasn't from Brownie Brown so I couldn't really ask him specific questions in regards to the development of Sword of Mana, but he did talk a lot about what I asked him. You are all actually seeing this before it is officially posted so I hope you guys feel special. Anyway, hope you all enjoy it:

Quote:Richard Amtower is a localization writer for Nintendo, and he previously worked at Square making him perfectly suited to market the Brownie Brown-developed Sword of Mana for Game Boy Advance. We talked with him a little about the new RPG for Game Boy Advance.

N-Philes: First off, why don’t you tell us a little bit about yourself and your role in the development of Sword of Mana?

Rich Amtower: I’m a localization writer/editor, and usually that means that my role is to work with the translators to get, essentially, the best translation that we can out of a game; the best rewriting, creative writing problems, to basically get the best match of words and gameplay. To make text that fits the style of gameplay as well as the game’s art style.

For Sword of Mana my role was a little bit different because whereas if the localization needs help on this I’ve been operating more in a sort of marketing sense where I can handle as best as possible the questions you guys might have.

NP: How did you get interested in videogames, and what are some of your favorite games?

RA: The problem is I can’t remember a time when I haven’t been interested in games. My gaming experience goes back to Pong, and I have been a fan of gaming all of my life. I just sort of stumbled into a career accidentally when I had a job game testing. I started as a game tester and I had to sort of work my way through a number of companies popping hither and yon until I settled into what I think is a pretty fun career.

NP: What a lot of people don’t release is Sword of Mana is actually a remake of an old Game Boy game. Why was the decision made the remake Final Fantasy Adventure and not make a new Mana game?

RA: My suspicion is, and I say suspicion because I haven’t talked to Brownie Brown about this or anyone involved, that over the years the Mana series has evolved rather a lot. If you checked out Legend of Mana they introduced a very distinctive art style that separates the Mana series from other fantasy role-playing action/adventure games. They also introduced very memorable characters and when you look back at Final Fantasy Adventure, as I did when I first heard that the game was going to be remade, they really didn’t have much in the way of technology on the Game Boy to tell a really expressive story on that system. So when they decided to make Sword of Mana one of the key goals was to bring the art style inline with the art of Legend of Mana, but one of the other goals was to tie the original Mana game back into the Mana universe a little bit more. They’ve expanded the stories of all the characters, or fleshed out all of their roles within the story, added a lot of character depth, and also added a lot to the story and world depth as well. So while I can’t say for certain what their motivation was the end effect is that they’ve done a great job fleshing out this world as a whole and tying this game into the other Mana series game, and adding a lot of depth to the world that they had fleshed out in Legend of Mana.

NP: There are already a lot of good role-playing games for Game Boy Advance. What differentiates Sword of Mana from the rest of the good Game Boy Advance RPGs?

RA: Sword of Mana has a very different visual style than other role-playing games. It almost has a watercolor aspect to it where it feels much more like a fairy tale to me. The story itself also has a light fairy tale quality to it. The gameplay is very easy to get into. At first glance it feels like a sort of hack-and-slash type of battle, but as you get deeper into the game you start discovering not only a deeper magic, but also a relatively a pretty impressive character building quality as well.

In terms of leveling up you can spend your level up points in a number of different job classes. At first you think all your doing is upgrading specific skills like your power or your defense or your magic points based on what you’re picking, but after you start putting enough points towards a different skill you change levels and you wind up switching from a very general character to a much more specific character with strengths in swordwork, or in archery, or in elemental magic, or in defensive and healing magic. As you get deeper into the game and you spend more points developing your character your character becomes much more specialized to the kind of play you’ve been working towards.

NP: At the beginning of Sword of Mana you can choose to play as either the hero or heroine, how does this affect the game?

RA: Ultimately, the story works out to be pretty much the same, however, both the hero and heroine have very different starting points and they also have very different character motivations. The hero starts off as a gladiator who’s escaped from the slave gladiator pits of the Dark Lord and the heroine starts off having her entire village destroyed and going off in search of her real parents. Each one of them has a very different set of experiences to work from, and they experience the different story elements in very different ways. They come together very early on and they play through roughly, depending on if you playing as the hero or heroine, the same series of events, but every not and then if you’re playing as the hero the hero will go his separate way and you’ll have a story sequence with just the hero in it. Then later the heroine will join up again. There are a couple of different dungeon split points as well like in Devius Manor when the hero and heroine separated through actual gameplay sequences and the hero will have a different set of dungeon levels to work through than the heroine. Mostly it comes down to a matter of different perspectives on the same sequence of events. However, sometimes you get an entirely different set of events that the other character simply isn’t there to see. At one point the heroine is kidnapped. Playing as the heroine you get to see what happens to her when she gets kidnapped, and you get to help her make her escape. Playing as the hero when the heroine is kidnapped you have to work your way to find her only to find out that she has already escaped. So the end result is roughly the same, but the way that they get to where they’re going is totally different.

NP: How’s the multiplayer link-up system work in Sword of Mana, and what does it add to the game?

RA: The multiplayer link-up system is called the Amigo system. It’s pretty straightforward actually. If you’ve been played the game for a while, let’s say you’ve got a level 10 character in the game, if you link-up you transfer over your character data to your friend’s system and your friend transfers his data to your system and your character is added to your friend’s Amigo list. You can do this with a number of different friends and you can get a number of different Amigos on your Amigo list. Then once per day within the game you can use your Amigo whistle to call on all of your Amigos basically to come in and join in on a group attack. It is a way of helping to soften up some of the bosses or to clear out tough areas. In essence it amounts to a summon. If you get enough Amigos you actually start summoning things other than your Amigos. You start summoning these things called the Wisdoms that are very different summon attacks. So your incentive to link-up with your buddies is that you can work your way up to get these much more impressive summons that aren’t available any other way.

NP: How much input did Square-Enix and Nintendo have on the development?

RA: I’m not entirely sure how much Square-Enix was responsible for, how much Brownie Brown was responsible for, and how much Nintendo was responsible for. I think most of it came down to Brownie Brown’s work since they were the original Mana development team, but I couldn’t tell you how much input anyone had on the project afterward.

NP: What are the chances of another Mana game for Game Boy Advance?

RA: That I do not know, I’m sorry.

NP: Do you know what’s next for Brownie Brown?

RA: No, I’m sorry, but I also do not know that.

NP: I think that’s it. Thanks a lot.

RA: No worries. It’s been nice talking to you.

N-Philes

Sword of Mana Interview - OB1 - 28th December 2003

Cool, thanks.

Sword of Mana Interview - A Black Falcon - 15th February 2004

http://www.n-philes.com/php/epzyapukflekllyzlpvu.php

Took you long enough... it came out like two months ago... :)

My only comment is that I wouldn't really say its true that the Hero and Heroine are together most of the game. They aren't. They aren't together much at all, at least as far as I am (beat Davius)... But other than that a good review even if I would have scored it higher. :D And no stupid complaining about the (perfectly good, by any standard I can see) menu system...

Oh, I hadn't played in a while but played some today, and beat Davius. They sure make it a sad story, and make all the badguys sympathetic... it's almost a bit overboard, but oh well. It's certainly more interesting than the original version. :)

And my biggest complaint is the same: too linear, with almost total railing of your path. FFA was much more open and benefited from it. For example, the dungeon I just beat today, Davius' manor. The dungeon wasn't easy... I died too many times in that stupid thing. I'm a magic user and my health isn't too high... I have 180 health and 100 mana at level 28. I keep not using healing potions fast enough... so my complaint isn't the difficulty (though I did beat Davius on my first try -- thanks homing magic, he was easy! If I had didn't have that homing magic it would have been a real pain on that spinning platform...) but the linearity. Yes, there are multiple paths in the dungeon, but each one is either just to a treasure chest and dead end or a thing you must activate and dead end. And they give you blatant hints for pretty much all the puzzles... or make it impossible to miss. Dissapointing to see really hard puzzles like finding the Medusa's Cave made impossible to miss, and seeing no exploration, even in the overworld... you just follow the path, can't get lost... :( I know FFA had areas too, and clear progression so you could tell which area you were in (and didn't have to go back), but it had more open areas that had actual exploration. Same in dungeons. The game adds all kinds of cool things (so much so that it is barely a remake) but this one bugs me (in that unlike most of the changes it wasn't an improvement).

Sword of Mana Interview - The Former DMiller - 16th February 2004

Reason it took so long is it wasn't sent to me in the first place. Someone else was suppose to do the review, but he was taking so long he just decided to give it to someone else. Therefore, I didn't receive the game until three weeks ago, and I had to get through as much of the game as possible while I have almost no free time. </end rant>

Anyway, I guess it is kind of true the hero and heroine aren't fighting together as much as I made it sound like. That's probably a good thing, though, as my major complaint about the game was the dumbass AI. I didn't really talk about the linearity of the game, but I guess it's because it didn't really bother me. I liked fighting in the game, and it was the perfect length for a linear RPG. If it was linear and as long as Final Fantasy X I probably would have complained.

Sword of Mana Interview - A Black Falcon - 16th February 2004

Based on the GB game and so far in this one they really aren't together much at all... some at the beginning, a little bit here and there, the final battle in FFA (VERY appreciated since Heroine can heal you full with the Ask command...) but most of the time you're with others...

The AI doesn't bother me. The AI helper walks around at attacks things. That seems just fine for me... what is the problem? That they don't use magic? I remember in SD3 the two AI characters never used magic which was very annoying since you had to switch to the character(s) with attack spells to use it... but if you are controlling that character all you can hope for really is for the helper to be a meatshield, which they are. And you can control what they do somewhat with that grid... I don't see a big problem there really.

I just wish it was less linear (as I said, it'd be better more like FFA -- it'd be harder, since it would be less obvious exactly where you should be going, but it'd be a lot better...) and that it told you what levels you need for upgrading your character.

Oh, I was just reading the manual. OB1, you've complained a lot about the menu system. Did you know that, while in combat, when you go to the ring menu (Start) if you press L or R you will go straight into the Weapon and Magic screens? And once you choose a weapon or spirit it closes the ring menu. And then next time you press start you're on the same option you were before (not Weapon or Magic) -- making it easy to get into Item, where it usually is during battle. That makes your (and some reviews like IGNs I think) complaints about the ring system look pretty silly... see the kind of things you get when you read the manual? :)

IGN also complained that the seeds and metal and stuff isn't that common which I also don't get... it's not super common but enough that you always have some metal and fruits/veggies (not always both depending on what you got from your seeds) and not enough money for everything unless you get a lot just for that...

Oh, with Heroine I just reached Cascade Cave (on the route from Jadd to wheverever's next, after killing Davius...), and am probably like 10 hours in. The clock says 7:30, but I know it's higher because of all the times I've died...

Sword of Mana Interview - OB1 - 16th February 2004

Nice review, Derek. The buddy AI is a complete joke in the game. I'm surprised that even ABF didn't notice how awful it was. It's not just the fact that your buddy can't fight worth shit, but he/she always runs into walls. It's like having a blind stormtrooper on your side.

Oh, sure, the AI character does have major problems keeping up with you and often gets stuck on walls, that is true... and it's irritating... oh, and it's also pretty annoying how they constantly attack the magic block things that only react to a specific weapon when what they have is doing nothing -- it makes actually destroying it impossible until they either die or you lead them away! That one has been pretty irritating several times. But when they are in fights with you they do as they should -- be a meatshield and keep some enemies away from you. And do some damage. :)

Oh, and nice to see how you fail to respond to my point about the ring menu. Can't admit you're wrong like usual.

What? I didn't even read your whole post. I just wanted to comment on the crappy AI.

The menu is fine, but the fact that you have to go through three different sub menus to change your stupid weapon every five seconds is incredibly stupid. It's a poor system.

No, you didn't read my post. I'll post it again then.

Quote:Oh, I was just reading the manual. OB1, you've complained a lot about the menu system. Did you know that, while in combat, when you go to the ring menu (Start) if you press L or R you will go straight into the Weapon and Magic screens? And once you choose a weapon or spirit it closes the ring menu. And then next time you press start you're on the same option you were before (not Weapon or Magic) -- making it easy to get into Item, where it usually is during battle. That makes your (and some reviews like IGNs I think) complaints about the ring system look pretty silly... see the kind of things you get when you read the manual?

And three sub menus? What in the world are you talking about? Press start. Press shoulder button or scroll over to weapon and press A. Spin to weapon you want. Press A. Done. Same for magic. And you don't do it very often... unless you're trying to play the game as slowly as possible or something... just when you want a different spell/ability or when something isn't doing much damage against the enemy you are facing.

It's a huge pain in the ass when almost every single enemy requires a different weapon to be killed with. If it were a matter of just one button press to switch weapons then it wouldn't be such a big deal, but that's not the case. You are clearly in the minority when it comes to liking Mana's idiotic weapon switching system.

Um, that just is not true. I keep the same weapon (well since i use magic...) most all the time -- the Sickle, because it hits twice. It's harder to hit with since you need people in a certain area around you but the damage it does is worth it... as to switching elements, you do have to do it every so often when an ability does little damage but most of the time I stick with Salamander... does good damage and I'm up to level 10 with it now. :)

And when I do switch, it's not a big deal at all because the ring system is very well designed and streamlined and makes for quick and simple switching.

The only time weapon switching really irritated me was the dungeon that required lots of use of the Flail to get over pits.

You cannot kill most enemies with just one weapon and you know it. The ring system is crap--every reviewer has acknowledged that. They should have either made switching weapons as easy as a single button press or not make it so that you have to change your weapons so frequently.

Sword of Mana Interview - Dark Jaguar - 16th February 2004

To be honest I wish they kept Secret's weapon switching. It was as simple as going into the ring menu for weapons and selecting it like that. Same with magic. That made selecting spells and weapons VERY easy, regardless of having to pause the game to do it. The way they put item magic and weapon seleciton into SUB rings didn't help. Yes it's nice to have hotkeys, but considering that before it was only one level deep and now it's two, it's still awkward to get to it.

AI? Well, actually I too have a problem with it because the AI for characters actually seems worse than Secret. Secret wasn't stellar or anything, and you couldn't leave your characters behind, but they were intelligent enough to back away from the fight until they were ready and THEN rush in to attack. Actually, considering there's no weapon charging in this game, that might explain it. The characters wouldn't have any easy to program trigger to go into "defend" behavior. That would explain why they get themselves whenever they decide to attack. Perhaps a flag could have been set up so that whenever they did a combo, or attempted one, they should run away and stay back for a set amount of time, based on their aggresiveness setting, and THEN run back in. However, the rest of their AI seems similar to Secret and it's pretty much as good as one can expect. We aren't AT such an amazing level yet that we could actually expect AI that can determine paths anywhere near as good as humans. Honestly I'm surprised at how well they DO manage to path, that they actually know they need to not only move AROUND an obstacle, but sometimes AWAY from the lead character for a bit to get around said obstacle, is actually very impressive. They get stuck if they need to go a significant distance away from the leader, but that's just because it's AI, not I. When we reach I, then we'll have to feel guilty about turning off our systems :D. Basically, it's only not as good as Secret because the battle system in Secret was the main trigger used to determine battle behavior, and in Secret, that battle system was perfect for AI fighting to base it's behavior off of. Generally, after tweaking with the aggressive/distance settings a bit and how far they should charge the weapons, I found my allies could really help me out in combat, so long as I did a good job leading them into position. Of course, they don't use magic or items or switch weapons on their own, but that's due to them being mere bots. They aren't adaptive at all, and the amount of code that would be needed to actually get them to determine what type of weapon or magic or item to use in a given situation would be FAR too immense. LL's right, you really can't knock AI until you've tried making some yourself, and realize you have to program AI in totally different and unrelated ways depending on what you are trying to get it to do. Deep Blue the chess master for instance is programmed totally differently than the upcoming Poker game master, and that's just because of the differences between the two games, namely that deep blue has perfect information at all times on the locations of every single piece, while the other one has imperfect information, only knowing the cards it has and not knowing what cards the opponent has or what's coming next in the deck. Doesn't sound like a big difference, but reading about what I have it quickly becomes apparent on how utterly different the best style to handle those two games are from each other.

I'll only add that this doesn't defend them from the whole thing with the AI killing itself on those barrier sphere things like ABF was talking about. It would have been a simple enough thing to do to tell the AI that those are NOT targets and they would have ignored them completely (meaning if they were standing next to them for some OTHER reason, they would still get attacked over and over again, but still they wouldn't be walking TO them at least :D).

Quote:You cannot kill most enemies with just one weapon and you know it. The ring system is crap--every reviewer has acknowledged that. They should have either made switching weapons as easy as a single button press or not make it so that you have to change your weapons so frequently.

Not true, not even remotely. Just because you and a few reviewers have some strange problem with a great system doesn't mean it is bad! I don't get you... how you can think so strongly that there is no way for anyone else's opinion to ever be right about this... oh I may defend my position too but I do not come even close to your level of certainty that everyone agrees with me. It's totally ridiculous. Everyone doesn't.

Ooh, so you have to press two buttons and then spin through the weapons and then press one more instead of pressing one button multiple times... OH SO HARD I CAN'T HANDLE IT!!!!1111`!!!!!!11

Seriously, it's simple, quick, and the best it could possibly be. Complaining is really stupid.

Quote:To be honest I wish they kept Secret's weapon switching. It was as simple as going into the ring menu for weapons and selecting it like that. Same with magic. That made selecting spells and weapons VERY easy, regardless of having to pause the game to do it. The way they put item magic and weapon seleciton into SUB rings didn't help. Yes it's nice to have hotkeys, but considering that before it was only one level deep and now it's two, it's still awkward to get to it.

That's what they do, though... pause into the ring menu, go to Weapons or Magic (or press L or R during battle in the ring menu), and you're in the Weapons or Magic rings... or do you mean you had different buttons for each ring? You'd need a lot of buttons then... Weapon, Magic, Stats, the rope (which I have never used) level up, Popoi's Notebook, etc...

Oh, I prefer this to SD3's menu/ring system, definitely. Far quicker and easier to use. That has three different menus... Start which lets you switch items between people, and two face buttons, one of which opens the Ring Menu, which is your item ring. Pressing up or down switches to the Magic Ring if you're a spellcaster. And on another face button you go into the main pause menu. This is a 9-screen area you can scroll around, with a lot of options -- equip weapons/armor (that that character has), set AI companion behavior, menu background color, seeing which spells you have, character stats, the savefiles (though you can't save here), and controls configuration... a huge and quite bulky menu that is a bit of a pain to navigate especially when to move items (well weapons and armor to be specific -- items are in a collective pool, but each character carries their own weapons cache... and though you equip weapons and armor in the 9-screen menu, if one character has armor for another you have to exit that and go to Start and switch items there and then go back...) has between characters you have to exit that and go to Start.

Sword has an all-ring system and compared to SD3 it's the model of simplicity and ease of use. Sure it doesn't have all of those options, but being able to look at your save files, having control config (at least in the patched version; don't know about the original of course) and changing menu colors is somewhat superflous...

And the ring system is great. It's noticably faster than the menus in FFA... yeah it had fewer options (because there were two seperate menus) but it was slower, and finding what you wanted took longer. And you had to do it way more often because magic and items were on the same button. This new design, with magic having its own button and items just in the menus, is way, way better... cuts down significantly on your switching, while making it quicker to switch. I just don't understand the complaints. Especially when the ring menus are so quick to navigate through!

As for AI I can ignore the stupid pathfinding because its the most fun to kill the baddies on your own anyway and when you go to the next screen the ally's there, I just wish they could program them to use magic. That would really, really help.

I've noticed they are most inept at jumping obstacles. When you jump up cliffs or over pits they usually fail to be able to follow you... but it can be tough to get in the right place for that yourself so I understand it. Still, that's the most obvious example of bad AI I can think of that matters. Well other than the times they fail to get around corners. :)

Quote:I'll only add that this doesn't defend them from the whole thing with the AI killing itself on those barrier sphere things like ABF was talking about. It would have been a simple enough thing to do to tell the AI that those are NOT targets and they would have ignored them completely (meaning if they were standing next to them for some OTHER reason, they would still get attacked over and over again, but still they wouldn't be walking TO them at least ).

Last time my AI companion was auto-attacking a sphere it couldn't break (and when the thing is in 'attack' animation YOU can't destroy it with the proper item of course) I eventually had to retreat and wait for him to die... I've been killed several times in that situation, so it really is very annoying.

Sword of Mana Interview - Dark Jaguar - 16th February 2004

Never played SD3, but you misunderstand. PLAY Secret. It's got the same ring system, but instead of having a weapon button you have to go into, it's just another ring on the SAME level. You press up and down to switch rings, but more importantly, it remembers what ring you last used. So, I can just easily go into the ring menu and it's already in weapon mode rather than having to press another button. LIke I said, it's only on the first level rather than 2 levels deep.

Oh and, you DO know you can just switch control to your partner in this game right?

SD3 doesn't remember your ring I think, I don't remember actually... but there are only two... And Sword has something like that -- it remembers which one you last chose and selects it. And as I said L/R doesn't change that selection. Which means that if Item is selected (like it usually is since you frequently need healing/mana heal items as a mage) pressing L or R won't change the main menu selection to Weapon or Magic... making it quicker to access all three as you'll just need to hit A (twice, true, to get to the normal items, but occasionally some of those other categories are useful -- but not often) to go into item or L or R for weapon and magic. :)

Sword of Mana Interview - OB1 - 17th February 2004

Quote:Not true, not even remotely. Just because you and a few reviewers have some strange problem with a great system doesn't mean it is bad! I don't get you... how you can think so strongly that there is no way for anyone else's opinion to ever be right about this... oh I may defend my position too but I do not come even close to your level of certainty that everyone agrees with me. It's totally ridiculous. Everyone doesn't.

Ooh, so you have to press two buttons and then spin through the weapons and then press one more instead of pressing one button multiple times... OH SO HARD I CAN'T HANDLE IT!!!!1111`!!!!!!11

Seriously, it's simple, quick, and the best it could possibly be. Complaining is really stupid.

Oh puhLEEZ, you're the biggest complainer in the universe! Believe me, I checked! It's a very big problem, and it's one of the main reasons the game has gotten lower than expected scores from everyone. You're in the minority on this one.

Sword of Mana Interview - The Former DMiller - 17th February 2004

I didn't really have a problem with the ring menu either which is why I didn't mention it in my review. ABF has pretty much gone over the reasons I didn't have a problem with it.

Sword of Mana Interview - A Black Falcon - 17th February 2004

Quote:Oh puhLEEZ, you're the biggest complainer in the universe! Believe me, I checked! It's a very big problem, and it's one of the main reasons the game has gotten lower than expected scores from everyone. You're in the minority on this one.

I highly doubt it. You're just oversensitive for some reason I can't understand to a perfectly good system. DMiller agrees so it's not just me. :) While you're the only one I know of here strongly on your side...

Oh, and classic OB1 -- instead of actually answering the questions, you just respond with insults because you know you don't have much to say...

What questions?? It's true that you're the biggest complainer here! The weapon switching system is terrible. I gave it a chance and didn't believe the reviewers when I first started playing the game, but as soon as it got to the point where I needed to switch weapons every few moments in order to kill a different kind of enemy and had to wade through those annoying menus and sub menus, I got sick and tired of it. You (and Derek :D ) are in the minority with liking it.

Sword of Mana Interview - Dark Jaguar - 17th February 2004

One little thing that annoyed me is that the ring spin direction is reversed in Sword compaired to Secret (and Evermore actually, they use the same ring system). It's a little counterintuitive to be so used to pressing right to get it to spin one way, and then the new game right makes it spin the opposite direction. Spin direction is never really standardized when there are rings and circle and such. They never decide on whether or not the top should be the side that determines which direction one can say it's spinning, or the bottom.

You never have to switch every few moments. That is unless you're trying to make the game take as long as possible... but you don't do that, so you are making a massive, massive overstatement. In some cases you do have to switch every couple of minuites when you hit a guy who doesn't get hurt by your current ability, but it really isn't that often AND THE SYSTEM IS AS GOOD AS YOU COULD POSSIBLY EXPECT IT TO BE!

If the GBA had more buttons I'd want a button for the items (so you could use items with a button like in FFA). Weapons/magic? Maybe, but it really isn't needed. The ring system works fine. I just don't get you at all... it's fast, quick, simple... what more could you possibly want?

Gee I dunno, maybe for it to NOT SUCK? Yeah, I think I'd like that. You have to switch weapons very frequently throughout the game and it gets extremely tedious. I suppose if you're used to tedious gameplay it would seem alright, but I am most certainly not used to that.

Just not true in any way, but I've already detailed why so saying it again would be pointless.

Oh, and are you calling the rest of the gameplay tedious too?

No, just the weapon switching.

And it's not tedious?? Wow, and all this time I thought it was really annoying... guess I was wrong, huh? I also think that getting stabbed in the foot is annoying... but just because it annoys me doesn't make it objectively annoying, right? Because isn't that what you're talking about?

No more than using any menu in any other game has ever been tedious... less, actually, compared to most games...

I think what OB1 wants isn't a button that opens a weapon specific menu on command, but a button that switches weapons WIHOUT having to pause, like every Megaman since Megaman X. Personally, I found it to be dangerous to surf through a list of weapons using that system while fighting, but it was useful at times.

Hmm... MMX. The buttons are occasionally useful, true, and make it quicker, but I never felt like the menu was a problem in the older games... it's a nice extra in X but hardly needed. I wouldn't miss it much if it were gone. Sure, you switch more in Sword than in MM, but the comparison is reasonable...

As I said, I rarely used that myself mainly due to the time it took to find something on the other side of the loop of weapons, all the while having to fight and such. Easier just to pause it is my opinion. Anyway, some people prefer such a setup though.

You could only use it if you were alone, any enemies around and it's useles... it'd be the same in Sword of Mana -- you couldn't switch with enemies around without taking damage, really, and you can't do that so pausing is really the only viable option... and you can't have everything on the main level of the pause menu because there are a bunch of options you need to put there and I really like them putting them all on one menu system instead of using two or three like previous Mana games. :)

Sword of Mana Interview - OB1 - 18th February 2004

A MM-like system would be perfect for Mana.

Sword of Mana Interview - Dark Jaguar - 18th February 2004

I HAVE VIRUSES! I HATE VIRUS MAKERS! I HATE THE PROBLEMS VIRUSES CAUSE TO DATABASES!

ANYway, lemme type up everything I did before...

I don't think you get what I was saying about Secret. It's ring system had 4 ring menus ALL at the same level. You press up or down to surf around the rings. The one you are on would go away and the new one would appear. It would stay in that ring even if you closed the menu and opened it back up. Rather than have a button on one ring so you had to go INTO the ring system to get to weapons or magic, it was all on the same tier. Don't mistake this for it remembering what button it was hovering over, it does that too. No, it'll stay in the same ring you last used. Since it's all on the same level, if you wanted to switch from weapons to magic, you wouldn't have to go "up" a level to get to the main ring and then go "down" into magic. You'd just navigate up or down to that ring. The 4 rings are items, magic, weapons, and configuration. I prefer that system to having all these rings hidden under one main ring. I will say that it's not that big a deal to me. I don't think it's as good, but I got used to it quickly enough, much quicker than getting used to the reversed ring spin direction anyway. Why'd they have to mess with that?

Sword of Mana Interview - A Black Falcon - 18th February 2004

SD3 has that dual-level ring for items and magic and does remember which one you were on. Which item? I don't remember, probably... I get what you mean. I just think that having seven or eight rings in that kind of system would be more confusing and not as good as having a base ring menu. It'd take longer to navigate, for one thing... flipping through various rings (remember you'd need like seven or eight rings for Sword) would probably take even longer than just going to the main ring and spinning to what you want... not to mention how Sword has lots of sub-rings, like the five different categories of items or the four categories in the Stats ring... how do you deal with that? Combining all the items in one ring is impossible. I don't see how this would deal with the subrings. Would we need fifteen rings to flip through? THAT'd work well...

That system would take even longer to switch weapons in than in the system Sword uses! I don't see how it could possibly be either faster or easier to use, or less confusing (given how you'd have no main ring to show all your options at once)...

Oh and OB1, come back when the GB has 8 buttons. Until then this is the best system they could possibly have.

Nonsense. They could have easily done what other GBA developers do, which is make combo buttons like 'R+select is magic, L+select is ability' and leave L or some other button for switching weapons. It's a very simple solution.

Sword of Mana Interview - Dark Jaguar - 18th February 2004

I don't want to have to press two buttons every time I use a magic spell. Reverse that. Have R+Select be for switching magic rrather than using it.

Oh, and I don't suggest putting EVERYTHING into it's own ring, just weapons and magic on their own rings. Leave everything else on that "main" ring if they must.

Whatever, that was just an example of what could be done.

Sword of Mana Interview - A Black Falcon - 19th February 2004

Yeah, combo buttons would be a huge pain! And R already does two things... so does L actually - L+A is Sit. So no, it could not be improved on the GBA.

And DJ, how would that work? How do you access these three rings? I don't get it.

Sword of Mana Interview - OB1 - 19th February 2004

You're crazy, it's been doen a hundred times already! Just play any Nintendo SNES port on the GBA! Yoshi's Island is one such example.

So you want THREE functions on each shoulder button? That would be a pain!

Oh, and I don't think that holding select while pushing shoulder buttons (because having magic or jump as a select thing would be incredibly annoying since you do those more than switching weapons/magic) would speed it up as much as you think... especially in combat when you need it most. In combat you'd have to pause anyway.... unless you retreat...

No dorkus, you could use different buttons.

Umm... which buttons? There are only 6...

R+whatever, L+whatever, select+whatever, etc. Duh.

As I said, complex and not necessarially faster...

Holding one button and pressing another is complex? And it's not faster then pressing start a bunch of times and moving the dpad??

You are el stupido, Brian.

Sword of Mana Interview - A Black Falcon - 20th February 2004

Try doing that in combat. You'll either die or lose a bunch of health. Either way it just won't work and you'll have to use the pause menu anyway...

Sword of Mana Interview - OB1 - 20th February 2004

If you're a complete moron then yes, it will be difficult. But you are smarter than the average two-year-old and have at least 8 fingers, it'll be as easy as saying "you're an idiot, Brian".

I can just imagine you playing Yoshi's Island for the GBA...

ABF: Aaah! They're attacking me! How to I shoot these stupid eggs??!! I have to WHAT??!! Hold L and press B AT THE SAME TIME??!!! AAAAGGHHH!! I'm dying!! I HATE this game!!!!

No, not just once, you'd have to cycle between 6+ weapons... while holding one button and pushing another... and the combat is tough enough without stuff like that! You could only do it while not in combat or if you retreat...

Sword of Mana Interview - OB1 - 20th February 2004

Hold one button, press another to cycle through weapons. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Well, unless of course your name is A Black Falcon.

You are ignoring my point.

Sword of Mana Interview - Dark Jaguar - 20th February 2004

The point is that while a person is cycling, they are getting smacked about the head and neck.