Tendo City
heheheh - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: heheheh (/showthread.php?tid=1414)

heheheh - Fittisize - 24th December 2003

USA had mad cow now, too!

Quote:WASHINGTON (AP) - After years of mad cow scares in Europe, Americans who eat beef are faced with the threat for the first time at their own dinner table.
U.S. Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman announced Tuesday federal scientists suspect a cow in Washington state had mad cow disease, an infectious brain-wasting illness. She and legislators from agricultural states immediately issued statements to reassure consumers the beef they eat is safe.

To be effective, those reassurances will have to overcome the fear mad cow disease, which can lead to a similar incurable disease in humans, has reached the United States for the first time. Food safety advocates warn consumers will be nervous because of the discovery and may avoid eating beef altogether.

"I think it will be harmful to the industry," said Carol Tucker Foreman, head of the Consumer Federation of America's Food Policy Institute.

"I hope it is not going to be a major problem for human health. But it is alarming that there is finally an animal, an animal that was discovered to have BSE."

That is bovine spongiform encephalopathy, the scientific name for mad cow disease.

A lone case of mad cow disease was discovered in Canada in May, which prompted countries worldwide immediately to block imports of Canadian beef. The result was devastating. Canadian officials estimate the country lost $1 million a day after the bans went into effect.

The Canadians' loss was a boon for U.S. cattle farmers. Sales of U.S. beef skyrocketed as countries that had relied on Canada for beef turned to the United States for their supply.

Demand is high at home, too, and the supply is small, because droughts in the U.S. West forced some ranchers to reduce their herds to survive the tough conditions.

Together, the factors have driven retail prices to record high levels. USDA Choice sirloin steak now sells for more than $6 US a pound, far more than last year's price of about $4 a pound. Ground beef sells for $2.04 a pound, compared with $1.84 last year.

Shoppers haven't been frightened away by the prices. Over the last decade, the average American has eaten at least 60 pounds of beef every year, the U.S. Agriculture Department said.

Beef sales remain strong partly because of the popularity of high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets for losing weight such as the Atkins diet.

U.S. ranchers want to hold the good times but they fear this incident could devastate their industry. They want to be sure consumers don't stop eating beef, especially since they are certain no contaminated meat went into the food supply.

Terry Stokes, chief executive of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, repeatedly stressed the food supply is safe when speaking during a conference call Tuesday.

"There is no risk to consumers based upon the product that came from this animal," he said.

"We expect that our consumers understand the U.S. government and beef industry have implemented the necessary steps to ensure the safety of the U.S. food supply and cattle system."

One thing is for sure, I will continue to NOT eat U.S.A. beef. It just doesnt' have the same...flare you could say as Alberta beef. :D

heheheh - Great Rumbler - 24th December 2003

Good thing it's only one case and apparently an isolate one, nothing like what they have over in Europe.

heheheh - A Black Falcon - 24th December 2003

I'm sure that it's more widespread than we think... we don't have the same kind of monitoring system set up as they do in Europe, for one...

The one, single isolated case in Canada had every single country block their borders to Canadian beef, though. However they are starting to partially open up.

I'm sure that now the US will have something similar happen... some countries have already banned US beef.

heheheh - Great Rumbler - 24th December 2003

Yeah, right now it's just a few Asian countries, but more will probably do the same.

heheheh - alien space marine - 24th December 2003

Yah now the U.S wont probaily be as turned off to eating canadian beef as it is relatively the same level of risk.

Asians seem like paranoid freaks in regards to mad cow BSE so you probaily wont be selling any meat to them in the next 50 years like canada.

It only takes one cow to put everything in question ,I wonder if the U.S will have the patriotic beef eating like canada did . It may have been a surpise but canadians bought more beef after the mad cow case then before it, Since canadians felt it was the patriotic duty to support the cattle farmers of canada who were hurt bad, I guess it all depends if there is another reported case.

Yes, I believe Canada has followed suit and closed the borders to American beef. I'm pretty sure I heard that on the news...

I think they should just test every single god damn cow for BSE.
Every cow that comes in and out of elsewhere needs to be tested its that simple.

Probaily dificult to do but it should be manditory now that ever single cow is properly checked before they are slaughterd and enter the food supply, Also stop feeding cows dead cows.

Europe (supposedly) tests every cow for BSE. We definitely should be doing the same in the US and Canada...

The hole made cow thing goes back to feeding cows dead sheep which have the original virus when injusted by cows turns into BSE and then it is transforable to humans were the original virus which only affected sheep and didnt harm humans.

heheheh - Weltall - 27th December 2003

Heheheheheheh...

Investigators Trace Diseased Cow to Canada

:love:

heheheh - Fittisize - 27th December 2003

Hm I was wondering when somebody was gonna post on that.

Cows move around a lot in their lifetime, they are either auctioned off or sold to ranchers all across North America. The first case of mad cow this year, which happened in Alberta, had that cow traced from Alberta, Saskatchewan and Montana owners. So I guess you could say that the case earlier this year is all USA's fault.

Infinity

I give you credit. You have the pride of a hundred Canadians. It's kinda cute.

:D

So what are you saying? That you think I'm wrong that these cows probably went through 10 different owners each (or more) between both countries?

Confused

Of course not. I just think it's funny how you like to poke your southern neighbors at the slightest opportunity ;)

Ahh. Gotcha.

heheheh - alien space marine - 28th December 2003

The U.S always seems to Blaim canada for everything like the black out which was unproven and false .

The Cow is 6 years old so he could have been shiped around back and fourth to the U.S infact he could be from England were all the BSE came from.

heheheh - A Black Falcon - 29th December 2003

But isn't it always Canada's fault?

heheheh - alien space marine - 29th December 2003

Yes we somtimes are at fault. But before acussations are made we check the facts unlike new yorks mayour who babbled off about the black out being canada fault when in the end it was a american power server that was to blaim.