Tendo City
Return of the King - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Return of the King (/showthread.php?tid=1395)

Return of the King - Laser Link - 17th December 2003

Yeah, I just got back from seeing the best movie ever created. Go now, if you haven't yet. You will not regret it.

Return of the King - A Black Falcon - 17th December 2003

I will within a week, I hope... weekend, maybe? I'll be home... depends when the theater isn't full too. :)

Return of the King - The Former DMiller - 17th December 2003

I'll be seeing it Monday. Can't wait.

Return of the King - Dark Jaguar - 18th December 2003

Return of the King - The Former DMiller - 18th December 2003

The Sauromon stuff you are talking about that is missing was taken out, but will be on the extended DVD. There was a huge controversy about that stuff being taken out before the movie's release.

Return of the King - A Black Falcon - 18th December 2003

The "return to the Shire" with Sarumon taking it over isn't just not in the movie, it was never filmed. There was an alternate ending to the Sarumon problem, but it was cut and will be in the DVD...

The book has been out for fifty years. Everyone should know how it ends. :)

Return of the King - Laser Link - 18th December 2003

Return of the King - OB1 - 18th December 2003

I don't know how it ends.

Well, some punk told me what happens to Gollum, but the rest is a mystery to me.

Just remember, as usual when the book was first, the book is better. Oh, sure, the movie is a grand spectacle, but the book is better...

A good example of that would be ... oh, there are a lot, but how about Wizard of Oz? Great movie, but the book really is better...

Return of the King - OB1 - 18th December 2003

The Oz movie is nothing like the original books. I used to read them all of the time when I was in elementary school, and they really are great fantasy stories.

Return of the King - Sacred Jellybean - 18th December 2003

Quote:The book has been out for fifty years. Everyone should know how it ends. :)

Bullshit... I just started getting into the books after the movies started being released. I was going to start reading them after I finished the Hobbit, but I never got around to it, and only revived the incentive to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy after I saw Fellowship of the Ring.

So I bought the book, and got about 100 pages into Fellowship of the Ring before some asshole friend of mine spoiled what happens in the end of the story to Frodo and the ring... and it just completely spoiled the book for me. I read maybe 50 more pages, but it really isn't the same... so I took my rage out on the asshole with a baseball bat while he protested the same dumb logic that you are. YOU'RE WRONG. :cuss:

Well they are better than the movies. :)

And OB1... you're right, Wizard of Oz the movie is nothing like the books. I like the books more... for one thing, there are a whole bunch of them, not just one, and it's a good series... and doesn't leave you with that stupid 'it might have been a dream' ending...

And sure, many people haven't read LOTR. I just said that they should know.

Why WOULD people know? Can you tell me that? Where would they pick up this info if not by reading the book?

Return of the King - Fittisize - 18th December 2003

Me and a buddy were gonna go last night, but we got away late and showed up at the theater about a half hour before the show started.

We saw Elf instead. I'll see it on Sunday, and I'll see it in a good theater (we were gonna see it in a shitty one in some dumb ciity that's not Edmonton).

The movies are better than the books! Yeesh, ABF. I think we've had this argument before.

You know what I think, is that in like 5 or so years from now they should make The Hobbit into a movie (I've read that book and it's fantastic). Everybody loves prequels, and it would make a billion dollars.

As I said... the movies are a bigger spectacle and look cooler and all that, but if you want true depth and complexity and detail the books are the only way to go. And I like those things. :)

And yes, Peter Jackson should do The Hobbit too, preferably soon and with the same actors, to make 4 movies with a consistent look...

And DJ, just ... because. :)

Return of the King - Dark Jaguar - 19th December 2003

Well everything that's needed to tell the story is in Lord of the Rings, plus The Hobbit's one link is more of a side story, as opposed to the focus, of that book.

Obviously NOT just because, because NO ONE except LOTR readers and those who have seen the movie know the ending! Not one! Best to keep it that way. Book's better enjoyed when you don't know the story.

Return of the King - The Former DMiller - 19th December 2003

Peter Jackson has talked about the Hobbit. He said that if it is done he would like to be the one to do it so it stays consistent with the Rings trilogy. He said the rights to the Hobbit are complicated, though, and he is working on King Kong now so it wouldn't get made until after that anyway.

JRR Tolkein has been one to say "this is not a trilogy, but a single novel told in 3 parts".

Return of the King - A Black Falcon - 19th December 2003

And your point is? So it's a story in three parts. So are the movies. There's a reason that they were made without much of any explanations of what happens in the previous films... what do you want? One four hour movie instead of three three and a half hour movies?

Quote:Obviously NOT just because, because NO ONE except LOTR readers and those who have seen the movie know the ending! Not one! Best to keep it that way. Book's better enjoyed when you don't know the story.

You act like you think most people haven't read the books...

Return of the King - Laser Link - 19th December 2003

Return of the King - Darunia - 19th December 2003

Best installment of the trilogy.

Return of the King - alien space marine - 23rd December 2003

This is a great movie , See it now if you have not already!

Return of the King - Dark Jaguar - 23rd December 2003

Yes, for as the wise old baboon from Lion King says: "The king, has returned!"

Now you'll NEVER be able to seperate that quote and all that it implies from Return of the King! NEVER!

Return of the King - Laser Link - 23rd December 2003

I almost used that quote for the subject of this thread. :) That old Lion King SNES game repeated the quote everytime you continued after dying, which means I heard it an awful lot in just 5 days. It is now forever burned into my mind.

Return of the King - Great Rumbler - 24th December 2003

Return of the King is one of the greatest movies ever. I would even consider putting it slightly above Return of the Jedi, which was my previous favorite movie ever.

The whole trilogy is just awesome, amazing even. Peter Jackson has done a great job and deserves tons of awards.

Return of the King - Dark Jaguar - 24th December 2003

Haha, same with you LL? I forgot WHERE I got it burned in, but now I remember, yes that was it! I rushed throught it, as I only had rented it, but found it enjoyable! It came to mind when I first heard Ocarina of Time would have Link grow up to adulthood at a certain point.

Return of the King - A Black Falcon - 24th December 2003

I don't think that that was in the GB version...

Return of the King - OB1 - 28th December 2003

Return of the King - Fittisize - 28th December 2003

Um....what movie did you see this year that was better than RotK?

Return of the King - alien space marine - 28th December 2003

ROTK is the best movie this year.

Return of the King - Dark Jaguar - 28th December 2003

Oh and what was the name of that white, bald-headed Orc commander? He looked an awful lot like Sloth from Goonies:

[Image: sloth.jpg]

Return of the King - alien space marine - 28th December 2003

He looks like the hunchback of Notredame!

I prefer warcraft orcs to be honnest.

Return of the King - Dark Jaguar - 28th December 2003

That's a character I forget in the book. I'll have to look it up later. Why later? I'll tell ya wh... hey LL could ya finish my sentence for me?

Return of the King - Laser Link - 28th December 2003

I didn't know that the thing was a real character from the book- I thought Peter Jackson just sort of created an evil general character for effect. But I've only read through once, so I'm not an expert at all. I'll look it up real quick in my copy of LotR...
Eh, couldn't find anything, but I didn't look long.

[edit]Well I found its name: Gothmog. I was just reading a psuedo-review of RotK that is written as if the characters themselves are debating the accuracy of the film. Just a warning, but don't read this review unless you want to see spoilers. Here's a small portion I found:

Quote:Aragorn: Enough of dueling and tinkering! What are your thoughts of the characters? It is to the credit of the filmmakers that no new characters have been contrived, at least none that I noticed. All seem to be taken from the text.

Imrahil: I am intrigued by the depiction of Gothmog, the lieutenant of Morgul, who led the assault on Minas Tirith from the field out of Osgiliath.

Eomer: You speak for me also. Nay, I felt I was looking at Sloth, the creature from The Goonies, a film from the year 1985 of the modern age.

OB1 hit it on the nose! :)

[/edit]

Return of the King - OB1 - 29th December 2003

Haha, I almost yelled out "Hey you guuuys!" when I saw him. :D

Return of the King - Dark Jaguar - 29th December 2003

I suppose the skin color is the same as the guy in that picture... That thing is completely missing the gigantic eye tumor though.

Return of the King - A Black Falcon - 29th December 2003

I finally saw it a few days ago. Great movie, probably best in the trilogy... though all three were so awesome that it's really hard to choose...