Tendo City
Conan in Canada - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Conan in Canada (/showthread.php?tid=1393)

Conan in Canada - Fittisize - 17th December 2003

Cool

Quote:TORONTO - Talk show host Conan O’Brien will bring his quirky brand of humor to Canada’s biggest city in February, a move local organizers hope will boost a tourism industry ravaged earlier this year by the SARS outbreak.

The comedian confirmed Monday his “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” will shoot from Feb. 10 to 13 in Toronto. The idea was partly initiated by Lorne Michaels, the Canadian-born producer of “Saturday Night Live”.

“I want to announce now that if this week goes well in Toronto we are moving the show permanently to Winnipeg,” O’Brien told a press conference in Toronto.

The comedian said it would be “premature and foolish” to say who would appear on the show, but he thought “Ben Affleck, J.Lo. guaranteed”, along with J.D. Salinger and Saddam Hussein.
Newly elected Mayor David Miller and other officials said they hope the exposure will help revive tourism, which slumped during the SARS outbreak that ran from mid-March until May. Toronto was the only city in North America where people died from the disease.

Unlike the many Hollywood-backed “runaway productions” attracted to the city by the weaker Canadian dollar, O’Brien said the show would highlight its locale.

“We’re not going to just try and replicate our show. There was an initial idea that maybe like everybody else we should shoot our show in Toronto, but say it’s New York,” he said.

O’Brien said the idea of coming to Toronto appealed to him because he had been heavily influenced by Canadian comedy, particularly the 1970s classic “SCTV”. The popular low budget television show helped launch the careers of Martin Short, John Candy, Eugene Levy and Andrea Martin.

Copyright 2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Conan in Canada - OB1 - 1st February 2004

So how was it?

Conan in Canada - Fittisize - 1st February 2004

I er, forgot about it.

Conan in Canada - Fittisize - 1st February 2004

Hey wait it's not 'till the 10th!

Conan in Canada - A Black Falcon - 1st February 2004

February 10-13 was previously, yes, I know...

Conan in Canada - OB1 - 2nd February 2004

Hey cool, it hasn't happened yet.

Conan in Canada - A Black Falcon - 9th February 2004

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/09/tv.conans.travels.ap/index.html

Conan in Canada - Fittisize - 9th February 2004

Yeeeeeeeah, Jim Carrey! He's real funny on talk shows, unlike Mike Myers. They should get Brendan Fraser and Matthew Perry on the show...even though they aren't really um, Canadians. I always thought they were, but it just turns out they have duel citizenships. Meh. They're pretty funny guys, bring 'em on anyways!

Conan in Canada - Dark Lord Neo - 10th February 2004

I just watched it, it was pretty good.

The audience booed at the mear mention of Bush

Conan in Canada - A Black Falcon - 11th February 2004

Now, OB1, you can ask "how is it?". :)

Conan in Canada - OB1 - 11th February 2004

I missed it...

Isn't it four days?

Wha? Oh yeah.

Forgetful... :)

Conan in Canada - Fittisize - 11th February 2004

Dang it, I missed it last night. Stupid homework. :( I'll make sure 100% that I'll watch it 2night though.

You can catch reruns on Comedy Central.

I only get Comedy Network east and west though, and they never have reruns of Conan.

Conan in Canada - Great Rumbler - 11th February 2004

Conan comes on too late for me to watch it.

Phh. Wuss.

Yeah.

Sorry, but I don't really feel like staying up till 1:00 in the morning. :p

Comedy Network?

I don't have Comedy Central.

Conan in Canada - Dark Lord Neo - 11th February 2004

Fittisize Wrote:I only get Comedy Network east and west though, and they never have reruns of Conan.
You get ACESS though so you can watch it on that

I don't know if I'll watch it tonight. Nicklecrap is on

There is this thing, called "recording". You should discover it, it will allow you to solve problems like this diplomatically. :)

(now guess ... oh forget it no one will ever get my reference there...)

Conan in Canada - Fittisize - 12th February 2004

OB1 Wrote:Comedy Network?

Hmm, Comedy Netork, I guess it would be the Canadian form of Comedy Central. It plays most of the same shows that Comedy Central does, I think.

And last nights show was pretty funny. :D Except for the crowd. Um, they were extremely loud. And sometimes dumb. The mud-wrestling match between the CN Tower and the Seattle Space Needle was one of the funnier parts I thought. Whoooooo, CN Tower rules!

Conan in Canada - A Black Falcon - 12th February 2004

I've been up the CN Tower... the part with the glass floor is unnerving...

Conan in Canada - A Black Falcon - 13th February 2004

http://www.canoe.ca/Television/feb13_conan-cp.html

Conan in Canada - Fittisize - 13th February 2004

Hmm....yes I figured that he woulda offended the French Canadians. Right when he said that Triumph (the major Ed the Sock rip-off...grr and it eats my up inside) I was thinkin, 'the French [Cdn.] are gonna be writing in letters about this one'.

And you were right. :)

btw last night's show was extremely funny. :D He somehow got the Stanley Cup on his show, and he was like, 'Now, to present the trophy is a team that will never know what it's like to hold a major championship trophy. The Mets!' And like, three of them wheeled it out (and they touched it without the white gloves...only players are allowed to do so. They should be shot)

... But the Mets won in '86... :)

Ahh, but how many of those players still play in the MLB?? (and I thought it was funny how some of the Mets actually felt like coming to Toronto to get made fun of...well at least they dont' take themselves too seriously).

True, true, not many if any, and at their current level of play the Mets won't be winning anytime soon...

Conan in Canada - alien space marine - 14th February 2004

I actually live in quebec , I am not sure if that many french people watch Conan Obrian, But now that it is in the news and canadian politicians are angry since we gave that talk show a subsidy to come too canada and he made a jack ass out of himself.

But I am desapointed that they didnt have Ed the sock and Trump the trash talking dog together. Ed the sock says alot of obscene and sarcastic comments but they never would make him make fun of the french.

Conan in Canada - Fittisize - 14th February 2004

'Make him'? I'm pretty sure he just does his own thing.

Conan in Canada - alien space marine - 14th February 2004

Ed the sock puppeteer I was refering too, We dont know if a women or a man does his voice.

Conan in Canada - Fittisize - 14th February 2004

Ummmmm, I'm willing to bet that a man does the voice.