Tendo City
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (/showthread.php?tid=136)

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A Black Falcon - 21st January 2003

Coming this summer. :( Why so long, Blizz? That's 10-12 months after Warcraft III! Warcraft II and Starcraft had their expansions within 6 to 8 months... oh well. At least its finally announced.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2909333,00.html
Quote:Warcraft III expansion revealed
Blizzard's upcoming expansion to last year's best-selling real-time strategy game will be called "The Frozen Throne."

According to a press release published on Computer Games Online, Blizzard has officially announced Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Some fans may be surprised to hear that the expansion may be released release as soon as this summer.

The expansion is set a few months after Warcraft III's final battle, and it focuses on events that take place on the arctic continent of Northrend, which was seen in a few missions at the end of Warcraft III's human campaign. The lich king Ner'zhul is imprisoned deep within the Icecrown glacier, and while this powerful undead foe is attempting to escape his prison, both the night elf renegade Ilidan and the traitorous former prince Arthus are trying to discover the powers that lie within the glacier.

As expected, much of The Frozen Throne's new content will come in the form of many new units and one new hero per race. A unique part of Warcraft III's multiplayer gameplay were the neutral buildings where units could be recruited and hero items could be purchased, and there'll also be plenty that's new here. The expansion will not only have additional neutral buildings to provide new upgrades, items, and abilities, but it will also have neutral heroes who can be recruited by players to supplement their forces with unique spells and abilities.

The Frozen Throne's single-player missions will take place in new environments, so it's natural that the multiplayer maps will also feature three new tilesets, which will come complete with new creeps and critters. Many new multiplayer maps are promised for the expansion, as are multiple new game types. The accompanying upgrade to Blizzard's Battle.net service will include clan and tournament support.

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos has sold 2 million units worldwide since its release last summer, and it was named GameSpot's Best PC Game of 2002. For more details, check out our previous coverage of the game.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Dark Jaguar - 21st January 2003

I wonder how many new units are meant by "many new units"? In any case, I'm certainly looking forward to this little thing. Heh, I figured a whole new race was too much to ask for.

I'll be uprading my PC before I buy the expansion though, mainly because later in my WC3 game it seems my PC slows to a pathetic unplayable crawl.

Anyway, lemme ask you this ABF. You say that the general consensus is that the Orcs aren't nearly as balanced as the rest of the races, and in fact are quite weak. Well, here's an idea. I suggest one or a combination of these additions that could make them equals. You tell me if they sound good, bad, or way too good.

How about an autobloodlust in units whenever a nearby friendly unit dies? It could compound as more and more die.

Another would be to lower the food requirements of all units, or most, to allow for a larger army.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A Black Falcon - 21st January 2003

What they need most is healing WAY sooner in the techtree (all the other races get it SIGNIFICANTLY earlier... its a huge disadvantage!) and decent antiair... after that its just tweaks, imo, but those are clear flaws.
Lowering food requirements / raising max food cap is, IMO, a big NO. I like it as it is with the limited army sizes...

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A Black Falcon - 22nd January 2003

http://www.blizzard.com/war3x/
The official Blizzard WC3 Expansion page. Has new (cool) story details, and one new hero: the Elven Blood Mage. Cool!
[Image: images\screens\concept\ss01.jpg]
Quote: Many of the stoic high elves, reeling from the loss of their ancient homeland, Quel'Thalas, have given in to their hatred and despair and embraced the dark side of their magical natures. Calling themselves 'blood elves' - these cold hearted refugees seek to expand their remaining magical powers at any cost - even if it means courting the infernal powers of the Burning Legion! Though still loyal to the Alliance, the blood elves' passions will lead them not only to the highest pinnacles of power, but to the darkest depths of madness.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Dark Jaguar - 22nd January 2003

Not so high now are they? Guess it's up to the night elves to bring force good and justice and plantlife. *cuts down mana tree*

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A Black Falcon - 23rd January 2003

[Image: war3logo.jpg]

http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/january03/war3tft/index.shtml

New 3 page interview with Rob Pardo about WC3: The Frozen Throne.

Here's a very interesting quote.
Quote: The campaign starts with the Night Elves, progresses to the Human Alliance, and ends with the Undead Scourge. The Orcs will have their own unique Orc-specific campaign that serves a stand-alone story

Hmm... it looks like Starcraft all over again... WC3: ROC's story obviously drew a lot from SC, and WC3: TFT seems to be like BW -- evil wins...

Edit: New unit is mentioned!
Quote:one of the new Human units is the Blood Elf Spell Breaker. The Spell Breaker is a sort of magical thief: his innate ability is spell immunity, and his learned spell is spell steal - an autocast spell that removes positive buffs from enemy units (such as bloodlust and inner fire) and transfers them to friendly units.
Cool!

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Dark Jaguar - 23rd January 2003

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - The Former DMiller - 23rd January 2003

My goodness, Beyond the Dark Portal. I had somehow erased that from my memory. I could barely get past the first 2 or 3 levels of that spawn of Satan. Did Blizzard really expect people to beat that? Hehe, still love them, though. :)

Yeah, BTDP is still the hardest RTS I've ever played... back when I got it, I never beat level 2 for either side... :(

Blizz did much better with BW... good difficulty level there. Hard, but not IMPOSSIBLE like BTDP.

Oh, and DJ, yeah those were MAJOR spoilers I gave... but you did ask, so don't complain! :)

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Dark Jaguar - 24th January 2003

Seems that you, me, and apparently DMiller are the only ones who even care :D. NetMapel and Biggah would be talking about it too if they didn't leave us. Oh well, they'll be back...

Anyway, I'm sure Laser Link would love a game like this, if only he'd download the Starcraft or Warcraft 3 demos. He's always raving about how much he loves the turn-based strategy Advance Wars, so I'm sure he'd love a real-time strategy too if he'd try it.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A Black Falcon - 24th January 2003

Advance Wars reminded me a LOT of those old mid-'90s shareware strategy/wargames... you know, simple yet fun strategy/wargame hybrids. Good games, but not as good as deeper strategy games -- Civilization, Warcraft, etc.

There are some people who only like either TBS or RTS... I like both, though. Do you like TBSes DJ? Civilization is one of the best serieses ever... I also love the RPGish TBSes like Heroes of Might & Magic, Disciples, and Age of Wonders. Great games... the strategy genre has so much variety. It includes everything from Civ to C&C...

Oh, and yeah it seems only a few of us are Blizz fans here. :(

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - The Former DMiller - 24th January 2003

Civilization is one of my favorite series. I first played the game on Super Nintendo and I've been hooked ever since. I really don't play that many computer games, but if a new Blizzard, Civlization, or Sim game is released I'll usually buy it.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Dark Jaguar - 24th January 2003

Yes I do like TBS. That's why I know what LL is talking about when he raves about what seems to be the first he's played, Advance Wars. One of my favorite TBS games has been Ogre Battle, even though I never even beat it (rentals suck that way...). I plan on buying one of the Ogre Battle games eventually of course.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A Black Falcon - 25th January 2003

More TFT info...
http://www.infoceptor.com/ - several updates in the news area... with new units and everything. Most of that is also here -- http://www.infoceptor.com/information/war3exp -- but not the info on the neutral heroes and balance changes. Very interesting... even though I am sure that, by the time the game comes out, a lot of this stuff will change significantly. It always happens that way.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A Black Falcon - 15th February 2003

New Gamespy preview.
http://www.gamespy.com/previews/february03/warcraft3tft/

Quote:Those who are in love with Blizzard's trademark cinematics are in for a treat as two more are in the works for the expansion

Noooo... only 2? I guess I could have expected this, after Warcraft 3 had just 6 cutscenes versus SC's 12 or so... but still, I thought it would be like Brood War and Warcraft III and have one after each campaign... so even if they didn't do one for the unrelated Orc campaign they should have 4! :(

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Dark Jaguar - 15th February 2003

Oh WC3 had plenty of cutscenes, it's just that only 6 were FMVs.

Couldn't you tell that by cutscene I meant FMV? Blizz's FMVs are really cool... I like to see more of them... :)

From that preview...
Quote:The Pandaeran Brewmaster is a fascinating unit, and at first glance, is in for comic relief. It is literally a giant panda with a huge cask under its arm. Pardo said the abilities of this drunken hero are still in flux, but all of them will be related in some way to drinking, such as breath of fire or drunken brawler.

A PANDAREN HERO! :) :)

That's cool... Cool

Haha! That's awesome!

Hey ABF, I gotta wonder why they think the Orcs wouldn't care about some force that wants to destroy ALL, especially with them being some of that said "all".

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Laser Link - 17th February 2003

NO WAY! They are going to include a Pandaren? That's great! Somehow I would have bought this game and done the necesary upgrades if they had included the Pandarens all along. I just love Pandas. Reminds me of the old TaleSpin episode...

Someday I'll get SC and WC3. But today is not that day, and tomorrow is not either. Check back in May. After E3. I'll be done with school then, and it's not looking likely that I'll be able to get an internship position anywhere. :(

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A Black Falcon - 18th February 2003

You can't afford SC+BW even though the battlechest is $20? You're sure broke... Rolleyes

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - OB1 - 18th February 2003

I can't afford it until friday.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Dark Jaguar - 18th February 2003

It's called college ABF. When you are broke enough, you MIGHT suddenly find a dollar one day, and then you are like "WOW A DOLLAR!" and then you just start thinking about the stuff you could do with that dollar. You could buy "food", or maybe you could just sit around all day with your dollar. The sky's the limit when you found a dollar! (And since the sky is the limit, STARcraft is a little out of reach :D)

On another note, I certainly hope not all the high elf survivors become "blood elves". Oh right, enough of them had to have kept their goodness enough to keep being high priests and such :D.

Hey, I have almost no money... I can't get much of anything till summer because of how I spent it all right after christmas... and if I was talking about $50 WC3, I'd understand it... but $20? Thats not much...

Plus, any sane strategy games fan should have bought SC four or five years ago.

Rolleyes

Hahaha...

You're such a dork. :p

Why? Because I spent $190 on games when I only had $250 (saving that $60 for Zelda- WW)? Or because I bought Starcraft within 2 or 3 days of its release (for $30! EB had it for $40 with a $10 rebate...), then did the same thing with WC3? :)

And I hold to my statement that anyone remotely interested in RTSes should have bought SC years ago... because its true. It'd be like being a Nintendo fan and not getting OoT until now with the bonus disk...

When I was writing that I didn't see your post. I was actually replying to DJ.

Ah... :)

Oh, and DJ, while in the story bad things might happen to the good high elves, in multiplayer the current units don't change, of course... so they'll all be there there, at least.

Though knowing Blizz, I am fully expecting a pretty negative ending... given how the Undead campaign is last, and Blizz sure doesn't seem to like to leave the good guys victorious for long in their games...

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Dark Jaguar - 18th February 2003

Which while innovative back in Warcraft, is getting redundant :D.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Laser Link - 18th February 2003

I didn't say anything about money ABF. :) But I'm still broke, just not like you'd think. I have more than $20, but no time. The only way I keep my sanity is by checking in to TC every once in a while so I can forget about the mountain of work I'm supposed to be doing. But now you just reminded me.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - The Former DMiller - 18th February 2003

Haha! I have no CS classes this semester! Just 2 mildly difficult stats courses and 2 blow-off classes. Although I am staying an extra semester, it's worth it to be able to relax a bit.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A Black Falcon - 19th February 2003

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2911200,00.html

Gamespot proves once again that on the subject of previews, they are unmatched... that Gamespy preview was decent, but this one's better, and longer... I don't know why, but on the big games Gamespot always seems to do the best previews.

Anyway... what you've all been waiting for. A screenshot of the Pandaren Brewmaster!!! :)
[Image: w_screen003.jpg]

And we all thought that that April Fools Day preview of the Pandaren Empire was a April Fools Day joke... Cool

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Laser Link - 19th February 2003

Well try not to enjoy your easy load too much while I die out here. I'm taking 3 CS classes, linear algebra, Japanese 2, and a physics lab. I took Phyiscs 1 in Fall 2001, but I'm just now getting around to the lab. One of my CS classes was a stupid 1 credit ethics class and today was my last day, but we had to write a paper and make 15 minute presentation. I'd rather take a test every single class period. But it's done now, so that's good. My computer graphics class is a lot of work but it's also a ton of fun. The evil class is Analysis of Algorithms. Yes, the very name sounds evil. And it is. I imagine you've taken a class like this, but for those reading who are not CS students... All that discrete math I tried to forget has come back and it's 100 times worse than before. *insert exploding smily here* For our first homework assignment we had to find a new method for matirx multiplication, and it had to be faster than the normal one. The professor actually suggested we use the internet for help (never a good sign). Turns out the only (known) fast matrix multiplication algorithm is insane. People do their Doctoral Thesis on this thing!!!! Shoot me now. And for kicks, my linear algebra teacher makes us do proofs on the tests. *cries*

If I can make it to March 24, I'll be okay. One whole, interruption-free week to live in Hyrule.

Now, you may continue the WarCraft discussion. Thank you for letting me vent. Please send all pity, food, and/or money to lswarner@tcforums.com. Please send all hate mail to /dev/null.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Private Hudson - 19th February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Plus, any sane strategy games fan should have bought SC four or five years ago.

:(

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A Black Falcon - 20th February 2003

Quote::(

Uhh... if you're going to comment, how about making sense... what do you mean by :( ? You'd better not be disagreeing... Mad

Anyone who remotely likes RTSes and doesn't have SC now, when it'll have been out for 5 years in April, has NO excuse. None. As I said before...
Quote: It'd be like being a Nintendo fan and not getting OoT until now with the bonus disk...
... if you got that bonus disk this christmastime, that is, to make it 5 years after launch...

Note -- it works with any appropriate extremely good game (that you and the people you are talking about are all fans of the genre of) that came out years ago too...

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - The Former DMiller - 20th February 2003

I took that class last semester LL and I am so glad it's over. For me, though, it actually seemed to be easier after the first few weeks. I also took an ethics class last semester and guess what my final report was: Computer Ethics in the Movies. :D My professor was a huge movie fan but I still can't believe she let me do that. I pretty much just did a presentation on Office Space, The Net, and Antitrust. I probably only spoke for 6 or 7 minutes, the rest was movie clips. :)

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - alien space marine - 21st February 2003

what does this have to do with warcraftIII?

Samurai Pandas spew beer!LOL!

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Laser Link - 21st February 2003

Someone must be new to TC if they are complaining that the topic has gone off on a tangent...

I hope this class gets easier. I don't like it at all. For my computer ethics class I did Videogame Emulation and Piracy! Looks like we both got off pretty easy. :)

So when will you be graduating now? I've pushed hard this year so I can graduate next spring. I should be able to get it now, with a relatively light amount of credits too! YAY!

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - The Former DMiller - 21st February 2003

I'll be graduating in the Fall, but I still have to go to grad school to get certified to teach, but that will be quite a relief since I won't be taking any really tough technical classes.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Laser Link - 22nd February 2003

So you are still planning on teaching? Sounds like that's a good plan. You would be good at it, I think.

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - A Black Falcon - 26th February 2003

http://www.blizzard.com/war3x/units/brewmaster.shtml
:D