Tendo City
Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Redisovering Hockey's Heritage (/showthread.php?tid=1319)

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Fittisize - 18th November 2003

From NHL.com

Quote:Every hockey player can remember where their love affair with the sport started.

For most, the spark was struck on the nearest body of water to their homes. As soon as the cold descended and the pond, lake, river or even cow pasture froze solid, the neighborhood kids drifted over with skates and sticks thrown over their shoulders looking for some action. They were rarely disappointed, finding legions of like-minded souls strapping on the blades and gliding around the ice waiting for a game of shinny to break out.

It was there -- on those frozen expanses -- that the players became hooked on the speed, grace and excitement of the game, chasing pucks all over the frozen surface.

There were no boards to constrain their enthusiasm, no coaches to dampen their creativity, no stats to feed their ego. Rules were a matter of efficiency, not a stringent set of decrees laid out in a technical rulebook. All of that, not always for the better, would come later for those that moved on to organized hockey

Allan Watt, the vice president of marketing and communications for the Edmonton Oilers, remembers those early hockey-playing days fondly despite being more than a half-decade removed from such simple pleasures.

That's why he is not surprised that Saturday's Heritage Classic at Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium -- the first outdoor game in the League's 86-year history -- has become the biggest story of the 2003-04 NHL regular season. The game will pit the host Edmonton Oilers against the Montreal Canadiens in a type of atmosphere that each of the 56,169 fans will intuitively understand, having experienced a similar scenario in their own childhoods. As a result, there were more than 70,000 requests made for the 7,000 tickets available to the general public.

"From the time when you're a kid in Canada -- wherever you live in North America where snow flies and you can make a rink, or you go for Christmas and your dad takes you out and he turns you loose and you're gliding on this thing, there's some magic in that," Watt said. "The thought of seeing multi-millionaire hockey players skating around outside playing for real points has captured something, and that's about as simple as I could put it."

In Edmonton, the sounds of skates scraping against the hard outdoor ice and the shrieks of excitement from kids -- and the not-so occasional adult, echoing across the prairie is the soundtrack of winter. It runs from the first freeze of late October until the ice finally melts well into the new year.

"Playing outside, playing hockey outside, you can do it at minus-20 Celsius, and you're still OK because you're outside and people do that here," said Watt. "People go to the lake and scrape it off and skate around on it and it's quite cold. We all grew up doing it and it was brought home again when the Oilers played in Montreal this past week.

"All of the Montreal Canadien players in their dressing room were saying we can't wait to get there because no matter where we're from, Kirkland Lake (Ontario) or Timmins (Ontario), we all did that.

"We all went home from school, put away our homework, lied to our parents and said we got it all done, and played hockey every chance we could. Despite the fact that we had never played an organized game outside, we still played it outside."

For sure, though, the stakes will be a little different come Saturday at Commonwealth stadium.

NHL players will be battling for NHL points. There will be referees and coaches keeping control of the game. The players will be decked out in snazzy uniforms instead of a motley assortment of sweaters and parkas. Millions of fans watching on television for the usual Saturday night Hockey Night in Canada telecast on CBC will join the sell-out crowd at Commonweath Stadium to watch the action -- by far trumping the knot of frozen parents usually on hand for the local outdoor contests.

But, the spirit of the undertaking remains unchanged despite the fancy trappings.

"It's the nostalgia of it all, the thought of playing outdoors," said Montreal defenseman Sheldon Souray, who grew up in Elk Point, Alberta, about 155 miles east of Edmonton. "It's like having an old car for some guys.

"I think the kids today get spoiled with so many indoor rinks and rec centers with four sheets of ice in one complex going up, but some of my best memories are playing on community-league rinks, with mitts on under my hockey gloves, scraping the ice every 10 minutes.

"I played a game on a little outdoor rink a couple of years ago for fun where it was 20 below. I loved it."

Souray's sentiments have been echoed by the Edmonton players for the last month.

"The fans and people throughout northern Alberta are all excited about the game," said Jason Smith, the Oilers' captain. "It's been in the media and a topic of conversation around here since the start of training camp.

"I haven't played outdoors since tyke hockey, you know 6 or 7 years old. But that doesn't mean anything, you know. This does mean something. It should be interesting, that's for sure."

Aside from surely being interesting as the novelty that it is, it will also provide a looking glass back into the game's roots, a reaffirmation of the love affair that for so many began on the frozen ponds of their childhood.

Whoo hoo, this is gonna be great!! PLUS, to top it all off, on Saturday Edmonton All-Time Alumni (featuring GRETZKY!! [see avatar] Messier, and Paul Coffey, three of the absolute greatest hockey players ever) vs. the greatest (living) Montreal Alumni. This is gonna be the greatest...I just can't wait to see Gretzky play again.

*sigh* playing hockey on frozen lakes, outdoor rinks etc. was the shit...but ya know, I like being spoiled and having huge centres to play games and practices in, quite frankly. :D

(note the real grass at Commonwealth...only way to go baby)

[Image: 12_G.jpg]

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Laser Link - 19th November 2003

Wow, that is awesome. I hope they show it on ESPN also. It's knd of ironic that they are playing hockey in a football field, because for a while now Arena Football has been playing football in hockey arenas.

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Fittisize - 20th November 2003

BOOYAH!!!!

I'm going to the game!! My mom's friend from work gave up four tickets...so she picked 'em up and I'm gonna watch it!

Ha ha, sweeet.

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Fittisize - 21st November 2003

Holy shit...

Tomorrows forecast:

Saturday Morning: -22°C, mainly sunny
Saturday PM: High -17°C, mainly sunny
Low-(ass-biting cold)
I guess I should bundle up.

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Laser Link - 21st November 2003

Heh, and I was worried about the ice melting. Actually, I wasn't. Honestly, I think they wanted it that way, because it will be even more like playing on a pond than in an arena. You wouldn't want a comfy 25°C, would you?

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - A Black Falcon - 21st November 2003

Uh... what's that in Farenheit? I don't know Celcius at all, except that 0 is freezing and 100 boiling... :)

Er, minues 22 celsius is minus 7 farenheit, and -12 celsius is 10 degrees farenhiet. All thanks to the Celsius/Farenhiet converter.

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - A Black Falcon - 21st November 2003

That's cold. :)

Yup, and I never realized how lucky I was to get these tickets until now...of the 58,000 tickets avaliable, only 7000 were avaliabe to non-Oilers season ticket holders, and VIP's. And there were 200,000 entries avaliabe for the general public to buy those 7000 tickets.

I think whoever my mom got the tickets off of was a VIP...'cause my seats are pretty good...on the first level at least, right behind the endzones (if it were a football game).

I bet if the stadium was begin enough, 200,000 people would come watch. That'd be like, a fifth of the city of Edmonton. Eek

Ha, off-topic, for the Grey Cup this year in Regina, Saskatchewan, 50,000 people came and watched, and Regina is a city of about 200,000 people.

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Fittisize - 22nd November 2003

Well that was sure fun. :) Damn near 58,000 people were on hand...making it the largest crowd ever for an NHL game. Just, it was EXTREMELY cold. I wore five layers of clothing, so my upper body was alright, but my toes have turned blue. Not cool. Oh well, when Gretzky stepped on the ice it was sooo loud, all fans were cheering and the ovation lasted quite a long time.

It's was really fun, but I don't think I'd like to spend eight hours in freezing cold weather all too often.

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - A Black Falcon - 22nd November 2003

Yeah, the fact that it's winter would hurt turnout for a outdoor hockey stadium. :)

If it were a regular event, that is...

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Fittisize - 23rd November 2003

[Image: heritage_classic_wide.jpg]

That is probably the best picture I've seen of the Heritage Classic.

...Note how freakign awesome Commonwealth Stadium is. :D Yeah everybody was extremely bundled up...(except for the guy wearing nothing but a t-shirt and a left sock who ran out from the stands on the field during the Alumni game...he juked cops left and right and three of them fell on their ass before he got the shit kicked out of him and taken away). When people were clapping you'd just hear the thumping of peoples gloves. My was it ever extremely cold. -20 during the NHL game.

Man was that ever a sweet time. I can't believe how much I lucked out and got tickets. And on the first level too!

ABF that's not a hockey stadium. It's a football stadium. wtf.

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - A Black Falcon - 24th November 2003

Nice pic... :)

And yes, I know its a football stadium... I meant if someone got the brilliant idea to make an outdoor hockey stadium...

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Fittisize - 24th November 2003

Ah...ok.

Silly me.

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - alien space marine - 24th November 2003

Out door hockey stadiums exist just not very big.

But Unlike indoor controling the temperature and weather is alot more dificult.

Were was this heritage game anyways?
I think I heard about it .

Great question, ASM... there certainly isn't any article quoted in its entirety in this thread that answers it!

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Dark Lord Neo - 24th November 2003

I'm suprised it wasn't played on any US TV stations, and I know it wasn't because the NHL and CBC said that it wasn't airing on any American Stations

It didn't involve an American team so no one thought anyone here would care?

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Fittisize - 25th November 2003

Yeah but it's the biggest hockey event of the year...it reportedly brought Edmonton 25 million.

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - A Black Falcon - 25th November 2003

Hockey isn't anywhere near as big here, obviously. Its only popular in cold areas, and there its not as popular as most of the other major sports...

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Laser Link - 25th November 2003

Eh, I think hockey is getting big everywhere. It's very big in Colorado, definently bigger than basketball (but that's also in part thanks to the Nuggets), and right around the level of baseball. Now I bet this is one of the bigger hockey markets in the US outside of the North East anad Great Lakes areas, but you see as much Avalanche stuff as you do Broncos.

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Laser Link - 29th November 2003

I just happened to turn on ESPNClassic, and they were showing this game. It was the CBC broadcast. It was really cool watching, although I only got to see a few minutes. I guess I timed it well because I did see Montreal's 2nd goal. Looked pretty cold out there, and what was up with the ref's uniforms? I guess those are throwbacks?

Redisovering Hockey's Heritage - Fittisize - 30th November 2003

Heh, the ref's wanted to go vintage too. I thought that was a nice touch.

Yes, extremely cold. :) At the third period of the second game, some guy came on the big screen and announced the temperature. -22 celsius. And then he announced the temperatyre for tomorrow. -1 celsius. Everybody booed him.