Tendo City
This Week at the Box Office... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: This Week at the Box Office... (/showthread.php?tid=1314)

This Week at the Box Office... - Darunia - 17th November 2003

I say we tell which movies we've recently shelled out dough to see at the theater, and our opinions there of.

Elf:Awesomely cute, funny movie...saw it twice, and Will Ferrel is in it!

Matrix Revolutions: Worst. Ending. Ever.

Scary Movie 3: Funny, but oh-so-poorly made. Worst script I've seen in years.

This Week at the Box Office... - EdenMaster - 17th November 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Darunia
This Wee at the Box Office...

That could be construed in any number of different ways! Rofl

I saw School of Rock about a week ago. Good movie, but then again Jack Black was in it. Jack Black instantly makes anything he is in funny.

This Week at the Box Office... - The Former DMiller - 17th November 2003

I saw School of Rock a few weeks ago and it was excellent. I was expecting it to be a decent, predictable, heart-warming comedy, but it was a great, unpredictable, heart-warming comedy.

Anyway, I also saw Revolutions and will never speak of that thing again.

Mystic River is also an excellent movie that stretches a few plot points, but it mostly holds together.

This Week at the Box Office... - Great Rumbler - 17th November 2003

I saw Master and Commander on Saturday. I thought that it was cool movie and had two cool ship battles. I few scenes in the movie seemed to stretch a little too long, but aside from that I don't really have any complaints.

Quote:Scary Movie 3: Funny, but oh-so-poorly made. Worst script I've seen in years.

SM3, to me, was a very funny movie. I didn't think it was poorly made.

This Week at the Box Office... - Laser Link - 17th November 2003

I don't think I've been to a theater since I saw SWAT. That was probably June or July or something. I've been planning to se Revolutions, but just haven't made it yet.

I do plan on seeing The Return of the King right away, but wouldn't you know it comes out on Finals week. Reloaded came out on Finals week too. Do they plan this?

This Week at the Box Office... - OB1 - 17th November 2003

I just saw this incredible Brazilian movie "City of God" at the local University theater last week. By far the best movie I've seen in years. It was so good that I clapped (in my mind) all throughout the picture.

This Week at the Box Office... - Undertow - 17th November 2003

See 'Kill Bill' for big fun!

This Week at the Box Office... - The Former DMiller - 17th November 2003

I forgot about Kill Bill. One of the best movies I've seen recently and certainly the most violent I've ever seen.

And I wish my University's theater was still open. They would show a lot of cool indie pics and old stuff, but it closed down my freshman year. There is a theater in the city that shows pics sometimes and hosts Roger Ebert's film fest, but it's kind of a pain to get to.

This Week at the Box Office... - Darunia - 23rd November 2003

I was going to go see The Cat in the Hat, but it's getting appalling reviews and now I'm hesitant. I was going to see Master and Commander, but it's so obvious what's going to happen in it, (i.e. evil French and vanquished by the eternal heros of the world; the British) so nah.

Great Rumbler, SC3 was very funny, but it was poorly made and had a lousy script. That whole Eminem thing was stupid and had no place in a movie that is SUPPOSED to be a bunch of horror movies come together. Also, it ended so suddenly, and they should've brought back more of the original characters.

This Week at the Box Office... - Undertow - 23rd November 2003

I was going to go see The Cat in the Hat, but it's getting appalling reviews and now...

It seems I have better foresight than thou. I could tell it was going to be crap. That, and I swear the movie merchandise has been pimped waaaay too much. Go to the mall to see what I mean.

This Week at the Box Office... - Great Rumbler - 23rd November 2003

Quote:Great Rumbler, SC3 was very funny, but it was poorly made and had a lousy script. That whole Eminem thing was stupid and had no place in a movie that is SUPPOSED to be a bunch of horror movies come together. Also, it ended so suddenly, and they should've brought back more of the original characters.

I'm not sure what you expected from SC3, but all I expected was a very funny movie and it was. So, I wasn't disapointed.

This Week at the Box Office... - Darunia - 23rd November 2003

Well, yes, but SC1 & 2 had intelligible storylines and, I can't explain how or why, just seemed a lot better put-together. SC3 sorely lacked the original cast. 2 was my favorite, and it seemed almost realistically-stupid, as if you could expect to find these people doing these weird things. 3 was just fake-stupid...(I'm sure that makes no sense)...so...I dunno...I'm going to bed now. Don't look at me like that.

I want to see:

-Last Samurai
-That new Alamo movie
-Return of the King
-The Garfield CG-movie (w/ Bill Murray!)

This Week at the Box Office... - Fittisize - 23rd November 2003

Er what the fuck are you talking about.

Scary Movie 3 probably wasn't as good 'cause it was sans Wayans.

This Week at the Box Office... - Undertow - 23rd November 2003

-The Garfield CG-movie (w/ Bill Murray!)

This Week at the Box Office... - Great Rumbler - 24th November 2003

Quote:-The Garfield CG-movie (w/ Bill Murray!)

Erm

Quote:Well, yes, but SC1 & 2 had intelligible storylines and, I can't explain how or why, just seemed a lot better put-together. SC3 sorely lacked the original cast. 2 was my favorite, and it seemed almost realistically-stupid, as if you could expect to find these people doing these weird things. 3 was just fake-stupid...(I'm sure that makes no sense)...so...I dunno...I'm going to bed now. Don't look at me like that.

That...makes no sense.

This Week at the Box Office... - Darunia - 24th November 2003

lol, yea I guess that didn't make any sense...but if you noticed, I knew it wasn't making any sense, thusly I added
Quote:...(I'm sure that makes no sense)...

You don't like Bill Murray? He's one of my favorite actors! You suck, you Bill Murray-haters!

This Week at the Box Office... - OB1 - 24th November 2003

Bill Murray is the greatest. You should all go see Lost in Translation.

I loved Kill Bill, especially as it was one big tribute to some of my favorite genres (Samurai, martial arts, anime) and featured a ton of winks and nudges at people like me. The Shaw Bros. logo at the beginning of the film (Shaw Bros. is the big Hong Kong studio that dominated Asian cinema from the 60's to the early 90's), cameos from Shaw Bros. legend Gordon Liu (he played the main Crazy 88 guy and will also play the Kung Fu master in Volume 2), Sonny Chiba in a pretty sizable role (he played the sword maker, and he's a big Japanese MA and Samurai star from the 70's and 80's), music from a bunch of great Asian movies, the whole Master of the Flying Guillotine homage (the school girl with the big mace on a chain thingy), and far too many other things to mention here. I really loved it, especially knowing the fact that I was probably the only person in the theater that got all of the references. :)

This Week at the Box Office... - Laser Link - 24th November 2003

Who cares who is in it, it's Garfield! What else matters?

This Week at the Box Office... - Great Rumbler - 25th November 2003

Quote:You don't like Bill Murray? He's one of my favorite actors! You suck, you Bill Murray-haters!

I never said I didn't like Bill Murray! He's a great comedy actor!

Quote:Who cares who is in it, it's Garfield!

It needs Lorenzo Music, but he died back in 2001 so that's no possible. Still, I think Bill Murray can do a good job as the voice of Garfield.

This Week at the Box Office... - The Former DMiller - 25th November 2003

Bill Murray is awesome! In my attempt to relate everything to the Cubs, I saw a game this summer and Bill Murray threw out the first pitch. He made this huge show as he walked up to the mound and took a few practice windups before he threw it high into the stands and pretended he blew his arm out.

This Week at the Box Office... - Darunia - 25th November 2003

I think that if anyone can do a good Garfield replacement, it'll be Bill Murray...but I'd also like to hear his voice before I pass judgement. If only that were possible...

This Week at the Box Office... - OB1 - 25th November 2003

His voice is perfect for Garfield. I just hope it'll be funnier than that cartoon... I liked it when I was little, but I saw a few eps recently and realized how unfunny it is.

This Week at the Box Office... - A Black Falcon - 25th November 2003

As I've said before, that cartoon wasn't that good... but I thought so when I was younger too. Well, I liked the Christmas Special, but the cartoon itsself... not that good, overall. I hope this movie is good... I like Garfield, the comic strip.

This Week at the Box Office... - The Former DMiller - 25th November 2003

The Halloween Special was the best, but, yeah, the cartoon wasn't all that good. I always loved reading the comics, though.

This Week at the Box Office... - Great Rumbler - 25th November 2003

Quotes from ABF:

Quote:Garfield was alright

Quote:The Garfield parts are good!

Quote:and the Garfield parts of the cartoon were good

:p

This Week at the Box Office... - A Black Falcon - 25th November 2003

Er... yeah. How about I finish up my repetition by saying again that is compared to the stupid farm parts? :D

This Week at the Box Office... - Great Rumbler - 26th November 2003

:p

This Week at the Box Office... - OB1 - 26th November 2003

I can't even laugh at the comic strip anymore. I just don't find it even a tad bit funny. I used to be a huge Garfield fan when I was a wee lad, but it just stopped being funny for me. I still love Calvin & Hobbes though. Truly a comic strip for all ages.

I still read Garfield as much as I can, but it does seem to be getting rather old. My favorite comic as of right now is a tie between Foxtror and Dilbert.

This Week at the Box Office... - OB1 - 26th November 2003

I'm amazed that not one single person made a joke about this thread title. This Wee at the Box Office.

Guess you're all more mature than I thought you were.

*giggles*

This Week at the Box Office... - Dark Jaguar - 26th November 2003

I gotta agree. Recently, reading Garfield comics online (it's great that a lot of comics are just posting everything they put in the papers online on the same day :D, I no longer need the primitive and inefficient newspaper at all), it seems the writer has nearly run out of jokes. I mean, one can only laugh at a dogs are stupid and slobber joke so many times... Still, I read it because every once in a while, a comic comes out that is brilliant :D, like the one in my sig!

Quote:I'm amazed that not one single person made a joke about this thread title. This Wee at the Box Office.

Guess you're all more mature than I thought you were.

You don't need to say the jokes, everybody knows what they are. :D

This Week at the Box Office... - A Black Falcon - 26th November 2003

Oh, lots and lots of comics are repetitive... Garfield, Wizard of Id, B.C., etc, etc... most are, actually. Its the rare comic that isn't... Foxtrot is repetitive too, definitely, as is Dilbert, and most others... Calvin & Hobbes? Somewhat, yeah... it just did it really, really well. :)

Anyway, yes, Garfield repeats the same things over and over. But its funny...

This Week at the Box Office... - Darunia - 28th November 2003

I read Garfield, Close to Home (aka FarSide Part II), and usually really everything else when I come across the comics section of the local paper.

This Week at the Box Office... - Undertow - 28th November 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
I can't even laugh at the comic strip anymore. I just don't find it even a tad bit funny. I used to be a [b]huge Garfield fan when I was a wee lad, but it just stopped being funny for me. I still love Calvin & Hobbes though. Truly a comic strip for all ages. [/B]

You took the words right out of my mouth. Although, I've recently discovered Get Fuzzy which can be pretty funny at times.

This Week at the Box Office... - Darunia - 30th November 2003

I've now also seen Gothika, Timeline and The Haunted Mansion. Timeline was a cool movie, albeit poorly made (jumped around, and seemed amateur)...but still, good enough story that I enjoyed it. Gothika surprised me, in as much as that it was creepy and good, and the extent to which I hate Halle Berry improved 3.4%. I was also surprised at how little the Haunted Mansion sucked; i.e. it didn't suck all that bad. I'm looking forward to The Last Samurai, Return of the King, that Alamo movie, the Trojan War movie, and Dawn of the Dead.

This Week at the Box Office... - A Black Falcon - 30th November 2003

I saw Master and Commander today... very good movie. People who complain that the middle drags because there isn't any action have no patience... I don't mind slow pacing. :)

This Week at the Box Office... - Weltall - 30th November 2003

Close To Home isn't a tenth as funny or clever as Far Side was.

Well no, nothing in the single-panel genre is anywhere near as good as Far Side was.

Agreed. But of those I've seen, Close to Home is probably the least worthy of being called a successor to Far Side.

There is one that the Times-Disgrace recently started carrying that is actually quite good, I'll have to check it out sometime as I can't recall the name of it.

"Non Sequitor" is also quite funny. It's my favorite comic that is current.

Non Sequitor definitely is a good comic... and as for things like Far Side, maybe Bizarro...

Bizarro might actually be the one I'm thinking of... I'll have to wait until I get tomorrow's paper to know for sure, it's not in the Sunday.