Tendo City
Double standards and racism - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Den of the Philociraptor (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Double standards and racism (/showthread.php?tid=120)

Pages: 1 2 3

Double standards and racism - OB1 - 17th January 2003

Read this article and tell me what you think.

Quote:In his most recent racial taunt of Yao Ming, Shaquille O’Neal told a reporter, “Tell Yao Ming, ‘ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh.’” No, the superstar center of the L.A. Lakers was not trying to speak Chinese. Shaq was, in a most derisive tone, aiming a racist barb at the rookie center for the Houston Rockets.

...Ironically, just days before this racial taunt was aired nationally, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) had honored O’Neal with their Young Leaders Award. We can only hope that the NAACP had no knowledge of Shaq’s earlier racial taunt of Yao Ming and L.A. Clippers center Wang Zhizhi, broadcast on June 28 on Fox Television’s Best Damn Sports Show Period. When Yao Ming was brought up, Shaquille O’Neal spoke with a mock Chinese accent and made mock “kung fu” moves.

...The only reason anyone knows about Shaq’s latest taunt is because Fox Sports Radio’s Tony Bruno Morning Extravaganza played a recording of the taunt several times to its nationwide audience on Dec. 16 and 17. On the latter day, Bruno commented that Shaq’s comment was “not racist,” and then invited listeners and radio commentators to call in jokes making racist fun of Chinese. For hours, people cracked jokes, such as offering free bike parking to increase Chinese attendance at basketball games.

...What do sports commentator Jimmy “The Greek” Snyder, NBA Head Coach Dan Issell and former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Trent Lott have in common? They all lost their jobs due to comments offensive to blacks or Hispanics. Golfer Fuzzy Zoeller, baseball pitcher John Rocker and basketball star Isaiah Thomas were all forced to apologize for racially insensitive comments.

...“I look forward to breaking down that mother f—’s body,” Shaq said of Yao Ming. “He said my name three times, two in Chinese and one in American. You don’t ever call me out. I’m from LSU.” Yao has never “called” Shaq out.

It's a very sad truth that while racial slurs directed towards blacks and hispanics are responded to with severe chastisement, racial slurs directed towards asians are pretty much ignored or even applauded in some ways. Why is that?

Double standards and racism - Weltall - 17th January 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
Read this article and tell me what you think.

It's a very sad truth that while racial slurs directed towards blacks and hispanics are responded to with severe chastisement, racial slurs directed towards asians are pretty much ignored or even applauded in some ways. Why is that?

Didn't you know? Only white people are capable of racism. Just ask Mapel Rolleyes

Everyone is capable of racism, Mapel. Or racial prejucice, whatever. Screw the semantics.

Double standards and racism - Dark Jaguar - 17th January 2003

It may just be me, but I have yet to really see that many people discriminating against asians. However, such a quote there sure is rude. There's also all the nationalistic stuff going on, like the insults against, um, you know the 'stan nations.

It's just you.

Double standards and racism - LukeIsTerrified - 18th January 2003

Would it not have been the funniest thing ever if Yao Ming had responded, "Tell Shaq, 'Wuts goin down in your hood, my nigga?'" Am I way off-base here? I am giggling just imagining that.

Double standards and racism - A Black Falcon - 18th January 2003

I know I've read that Shaq claims that it was just a joke (and that some people actually believe that), but if it was a joke it was in pretty poor taste... and shouldn't have been said with microphones around at the very least... or, better, not at all...

Oh, and though right now it isn't Asians who are getting most of the insults, historically they did... just look at almost anything about Japan from the 1920s to 40s! US views were VERY racist... it was so normal then to be racist against Asians that many people probably didn't consider it racism to make derogotory statements about Asians. Like it was with Blacks in parts of the country for a long time.

Fortunately most of the modern world is past that... not all, of course. As stuff like this shows.

Double standards and racism - Sacred Jellybean - 19th January 2003

:D @ Luke!!1!11

Makes you wonder how much more media coverage this would have gotten if the shoe were on the other foot.

Double standards and racism - N_A - 19th January 2003

Well, not a big deal in WW2 because the Japanese weren't just getting it, so were the Germans, Italians and Russians.

Anyways, double standards are always funky of course. Its kind of like the new age double standard... Men should engage in promiscuous sex while women should avoid sex. What the hell is that about ? Perhaps there are different ways men and women do it, but the proper standard of course, should be for both to abstain - not a double standard.

Double standards and racism - A Black Falcon - 19th January 2003

Well... sort of. While the Germans, etc were also slurred, it was different towards Japanese. Just look at any World War II US propaganda cartoons or comics... generally, Germans are not looked at NEARLY as harshly and nowhere near as stereotyped... Note that only Japanese-Americans were put in camps by the government, not German-Americans... No, the US treatment of Asians was markedly worse than its treatment of Europeans. Its a fact and its why in those comics while Hitler is more often a foolish character, Japanese are either evil or ridiculous (stereotypes of them were pretty bad). I t doesn't take looking much US stuff from the period to figure out that... it was fortunate for the Germans that they were European.

Double standards and racism - Weltall - 19th January 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Well... sort of. While the Germans, etc were also slurred, it was different towards Japanese. Just look at any World War II US propaganda cartoons or comics... generally, Germans are not looked at NEARLY as harshly and nowhere near as stereotyped... Note that only Japanese-Americans were put in camps by the government, not German-Americans... No, the US treatment of Asians was markedly worse than its treatment of Europeans. Its a fact and its why in those comics while Hitler is more often a foolish character, Japanese are either evil or ridiculous (stereotypes of them were pretty bad). I t doesn't take looking much US stuff from the period to figure out that... it was fortunate for the Germans that they were European.

Yes but bear in mind, not only did Germany not attack us, but they were not an immediate threat to us anyway. The Japanese attacked us directly, and they were a much more apparent threat.

In retrospect though, in the years since the war, making fun of the Germans has always been more popular.

Double standards and racism - Sacred Jellybean - 20th January 2003

Quote:Anyways, double standards are always funky of course. Its kind of like the new age double standard... Men should engage in promiscuous sex while women should avoid sex. What the hell is that about ? Perhaps there are different ways men and women do it, but the proper standard of course, should be for both to abstain - not a double standard.

Yeah, that bugs the hell out of me, too. If a guy is promiscuous with all sorts of women, he's obviously some sort of Fonzi-imitating lady-killer that controls and uses women for sex, making him cooler beyond any shadow of doubt. For women, though, it merely makes them slutty and thereby worthy of social ostracization by everyone, excluding guys trying to pick them up for a quickie.

It's very demeaning to females, and obnoxious.

Double standards and racism - Dark Jaguar - 21st January 2003

Yet another weakness of creatures who reproduce via sexual means... I can see why you humans NEED it and all, what with the fact that you need a good way to evolve quickly and mixing and matching bits of DNA is a pretty good way to get the best of the currently existing genes in one creature, but eventually it's going to be a weakness, especially when scientists do all the evolving. Sure, "The Wiseducen" has been getting some bad rap about them getting religious and "purging" entire worlds and all, but hey it's all good.

Double standards and racism - Darunia - 9th February 2003

I'm not a racist (yea, thats right; I don't like illegial immigrants and that crap, but I'm smart enoguh not to hate peoples), and I sure don't hate black people and Jews. But I DO NOT AND NEVER will think that affirmative action and all this PC bullshit is neccessary. I drink to the day it's left behind.

Double standards and racism - Weltall - 17th February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Darunia
I'm not a racist (yea, thats right; I don't like illegial immigrants and that crap, but I'm smart enoguh not to hate peoples), and I sure don't hate black people and Jews. But I DO NOT AND NEVER will think that affirmative action and all this PC bullshit is neccessary. I drink to the day it's left behind.

At least some people here have some sense :)

Double standards and racism - A Black Falcon - 17th February 2003

Funny... I was thinking that that proved once again that politically Darunia makes no sense... :)

Double standards and racism - Dark Jaguar - 17th February 2003

ABF, the point of affirmitive action is to stamp out racism by essentially punishing morons for stupid thinking right? Well, while this is indeed something I fully agree with, I gotta say that this particular method seems a bit counterproductive.

Let me ask you this question. Do you understand Weltal's previous point when he stated that affirmitive action can in fact do the harm of making people think there's a difference? While I think it's stupid for people to blame affirmitive action for not getting a job, the fact is that when someone sees a person of a different race than what is considered the majority (oh, I'll rant about that in a second by the way), they will view them differently. They will view them as someone who they should consider hiring MORE than the majority member person. This is simply put racial discrimination. This is Weltall's point. All I want to know is do you see the logic here? It's not really "bad" discrimination, because they aren't getting fired because of it, but even the complimentary discrimination is still wrong.

Now, about this majority thing. Why is it that white males are considered "majority" anyway? Stating majority and minority in my opinion is a line of seperation. It's saying that in fact they are a group, which shouldn't be assumed at ALL, because people of each "group" may not know or care about each other at all. Why group them together as though they are either downtrodden or plotting against or whatever? It's just nuts and it's offensive. Ugh, sorry it's just this sort of thing really is offensive.

Anyway, while the good of affirmitive action is that "minorities" (ugh) are not being "punished" for who they are, it comes at the cost of perpetuating discriminating THOUGHTS. While, on the other hand, if it was not the case, while such discrimination could still occur (hey now, they COULD still sue if they can proove it was due to genes they were fired), the thoughts of people could actually be allowed to move on without a stubborn law continuously reminding people of old stupidities.

Oh, and Darunia I'm happy to hear that you are in fact not a racist. To be honest you have made some very racist comments in the past though. I certainly hope you won't be using such slurs any more. No need to refer to an entire country or group of genetically linked people when all you are angry at is the individual. Don't insult all of Mexico (sheesh, the fact is that when you do that, you are ONLY insulting people still in Mexico, who most assuredly aren't illegal immigrants) when you only mean to insult people who aren't even in Mexico any more.

Double standards and racism - Dark Jaguar - 22nd February 2003

Here's another thing, when did Mexicans and Canadians become a race? It's a nationality sure, but a race?

Double standards and racism - Laser Link - 22nd February 2003

I'll just mention this real quick. When I transferred to UCCS a couple years ago, I was told of how they had internship programs that would give you a head start and get experience for finding a real job. But these were only available to juniors and seniors, because the upperclassmen needed this the most and had the most knowledge. Unless you were a minority. Then you could get an internship right away. So now that I'm a junior the computer field is dead and nobody is hiring anyone, especially not a college kid who doesn't have a degree yet. I just always thought the whole point of "All men are created equal" was that we are all given equal opportunity. Silly me and my foolish idealism.

Double standards and racism - OB1 - 22nd February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by alien space marine
isnt this chinese player 7 feet tall?
it depends at what you define as racism....
making fun of someone name isnt necessarily racist.
Saying people of a certain group are dumb, stupid, lazy or greedy is racism.
If someone called me JOJO! Would I jump out shout racist?

As for the kung Fu thing.... Alot of asians are trained in martial arts at a young age and it just a staple mark of being Asian.
It would be the same as an american trying to mock a canadian saying "eh" alot.It doesnt mean the american is racist agaist canadians.Nore does it mean that Shaq is racist either.
If he shouted out "dumb Rice head" or somthing it would be pretty evident to what his motives were.

What does his height have to do with anything? Shaq mocked the man, saying things like "ching chong ching!" and doing mock kung fu moves. If you think that's alright then you've got a bit of bigotry in yourself.

Double standards and racism - Weltall - 23rd February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Laser Link
I'll just mention this real quick. When I transferred to UCCS a couple years ago, I was told of how they had internship programs that would give you a head start and get experience for finding a real job. But these were only available to juniors and seniors, because the upperclassmen needed this the most and had the most knowledge. Unless you were a minority. Then you could get an internship right away. So now that I'm a junior the computer field is dead and nobody is hiring anyone, especially not a college kid who doesn't have a degree yet. I just always thought the whole point of "All men are created equal" was that we are all given equal opportunity. Silly me and my foolish idealism.

Giving advantages to anyone because of their skin color is just criminally stupid, to anyone possessing common sense. Those that lack the common sense usually get it when they suffer the consquences of their actions.

Assuming ABF is a white guy, I wonder what his views on affirmative action will be when perhaps someday he gets passed over for a job in favor of a minority who in some probability will be less qualified for the position. Maybe he'll have a few mouths to feed and a mortgage to pay. I wonder if he'll be so naively charitable then.

Not that I ever wish that on a person, but sometimes getting your ass kicked, even metaphorically, is the best way to learn how the world works.

Double standards and racism - alien space marine - 23rd February 2003

Bigotry?!!!!
Shaq comments were Imature.
I dont deny that.

The hole idea of having token members for employment is racism.
The poor black , Hispanic , Aboriginal , Asian are just gonna say to themselves" hey I am only here becuase am of a certain race "." I am not here because of my skills".Its certainly not fare to white people , It will only annoy and alienate White people from other minorities because of unfare racial tokenism.

Double standards and racism - Private Hudson - 23rd February 2003

As for the kung Fu thing.... Alot of asians are trained in martial arts at a young age and it just a staple mark of being Asian.

A staple mark of being asian? It's called conjectural stereotyping.

Here's a news flash, not all asian people are Jacky Chan (appanently, only one of them is).

yah every american owns a gun!.
conjectual stereotyping isnt limited to asians.

but I heard that asians even make fun of each other , my teacher in history once taught in korea. The common chinese joke in korea was that chinese people would toss plates down the stairs and name there kid after whatever sound it makes.
Asians make fun of the west too!that said and done.
I am sure what should be done is for asians to laugh at these jokes and just poke fun back.
not everything should be taken to heart.

Double standards and racism - Private Hudson - 23rd February 2003

yah every american owns a gun!.
conjectual stereotyping isnt limited to asians.

but I heard that asians even make fun of each other , my teacher in history once taught in korea. The common chinese joke in korea was that chinese people would toss plates down the stairs and name there kid after whatever sound it makes.
Asians make fun of the west too!that said and done.

And you don't consider making fun of someone based on a false cultural stereotype to be racism?

Quote:I am sure what should be done is for asians to laugh at these jokes and just poke fun back.
not everything should be taken to heart. [/B]

That would be the logical thing. But this isn't a perfect world where people can brush off 'hilarious' comments based on one's cultural background.

Double standards and racism - Dark Jaguar - 23rd February 2003

Yeah, but Koreans have urban legends even stupider than our own! We may think you need to wait half an hour before swimming, but at least Americans don't think you can't sleep with a fan on at night or it'll suck up all your oxygen!

I dont see how the one were the guy got his kidneys cut out by a hooker is anymore realistic.

Double standards and racism - Private Hudson - 24th February 2003

Bah, had to edit my previous post because I didn't use the quote tags properly.

Double standards and racism - OB1 - 10th November 2004

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Yeah, but Koreans have urban legends even stupider than our own! We may think you need to wait half an hour before swimming, but at least Americans don't think you can't sleep with a fan on at night or it'll suck up all your oxygen!

Erm

Double standards and racism - Private Hudson - 10th November 2004

Sacred Jellybean Wrote:Yeah, that bugs the hell out of me, too. If a guy is promiscuous with all sorts of women, he's obviously some sort of Fonzi-imitating lady-killer that controls and uses women for sex, making him cooler beyond any shadow of doubt. For women, though, it merely makes them slutty and thereby worthy of social ostracization by everyone, excluding guys trying to pick them up for a quickie.

It's very demeaning to females, and obnoxious.

I think those days, too, are long passing. Many mainstream womens magazines nowadays are filled with sections relating wholly to sexual techniques, lesbian encounters, oral sex tips, sex olympics, etc. etc. etc. It's all there purely encouraging women to be open with their sexuality. People such as Christina Ageulira and Angelina Jolie are continuing the "open about their sexuality" and are almost celebrated for it (at least, Angelina. Though, she's not just a sexual being she's also extremely charitable and does aid work, etc.)

Madonna may have broken down the barriers, but people like this, shows such as Sex and the City are making women of this type actually seem like human beings, and not 50c hookers. I'd really only consider a girl slutty if she's promiscuous and cheap about it. Britney Spears for example.

In some areas, women are actually becoming far more sexually predative than men are.. not that the men are complaining, of course ;) Well...... except those in long-term relationships. ;)

;)

... what

Double standards and racism - Great Rumbler - 10th November 2004

Why are you reviving old threads, OB1?

The question you need to ask isn't "why?", but rather "what...?".

Double standards and racism - Private Hudson - 10th November 2004

...what?

Double standards and racism - Great Rumbler - 11th November 2004

[Image: what.jpg]

Double standards and racism - OB1 - 11th November 2004

Oh for--

Double standards and racism - A Black Falcon - 11th November 2004

OB1 realized that his post count isn't high enough so he's doing stupid things to boost it...

Rolleyes Yes that's right.

You're an idiot, ABF.

What, do you actually have a reason, or are you just doing it to be stupid?

Obviously he revived this old thread because he had some relevant thought that would add to this thread and enhance it's...you know what I'm gonna agree with ABF on this one...not that there's anything wrong with boosting you're post count.

First of all, if I really wanted to boost my post count I'd just do it in the admin panel. And who am I competing with? Nobody has nearly as many posts as I do... and I really don't care.

Secondly, do I really need a good reason to resurrect old threads? It's fun! Something very foreign to you, ABF.

You have a weird idea of fun then...

Some people revive old threads, I boost my post-count with nonsense. *shrugs*

A Black Falcon Wrote:You have a weird idea of fun then...

This, coming from the guy who hates the outdoors and spends all of his free time playing computer games? Lol

Playing outdoors is fun...except when it's cold like it is now.

Haha, actually I should have mentioned the fact that ABF makes threads that contain long and boring lists for fun. Rofl

He's a party animal all right!

I don't see how doing something like that could be fun.

Cold? It's not too bad, I haven't been forced to wear my winter coat to get to class yet...

Great Rumbler Wrote:I don't see how doing something like that could be fun.

That's because you haven't even begun to understand the meaning of fun!

That's because you're weird and you think that a temperature of 50 degrees is a mild summer day. Wacky Maineninites.