Tendo City
Official Hockey Thread - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Official Hockey Thread (/showthread.php?tid=1159)

Official Hockey Thread - A Black Falcon - 11th October 2003

Quote:I didn't know that college hockey was that popular. I don't really know why those particular sports are more popular...they just are.

In Maine college hockey is probably the most popular college sport... other sports (football, basketball, etc) are popular too of course, but hockey is probably the most popular.

Official Hockey Thread - The Former DMiller - 11th October 2003

College hockey is pretty big at Illinois too. Our team plays in the ACHA so they aren't an offical college team. They are pretty good, though, and have been national title contenders the last few years.

The University of Maine is NCAA Div. I... last won the title in '99. :) And Maine's three top private colleges, among others, (Bowdoin, Bates, and Colby) are in NCAA Div. III...

Official Hockey Thread - Fittisize - 11th October 2003

I know that Michigan hockey is pretty popular...they once had a sellout-crowd in a 100,000 seat football stadium (the ice was set up in the middle of the field). In Edmonton on the 24th, I think, there is going to be another game like that in Commonwealth Stadium where the Edmonton Eskimos play, which seats about 65,000. It sold out in no time.

I also understand that Minnesota hockey is pretty competetive and popular...well, competitive enough to compete on a Candian level. :)

DMiller-At a Major Midget (AAA hockey, the highest level of minor hockey there is) tournament in Calgary, Team Illinois (how many million people does Illinois have? Is it close to 10?) played in the finals against Price Albert, Saskatchewan (30, 000 people approx.) and beat them by one goal (earlier on in the tourny however PA did beat Team Illinois). Puh. Damn Illinoians...have to send and all star team to beat the likes of a tiny city of Prince Albert. (that's right, greedy Illinoian punks)

Yes, we know hockey is popular in Canada. Still, the country has trouble keeping its NHL teams...

Oh yeah, and there's a minor league hockey team in Portland. The Portland Pirates, in the Washington Capitols organization...

Official Hockey Thread - Fittisize - 12th October 2003

That's pro hockey, ABF, not minor. Oh, Portland has a CHL team as well (bar none best junior league in the world), the Portland Winterhawks.

The reason why there is trouble keeping NHL teams in Canada is, because, well, nobody can afford them. Er, I don't see how they can't, because there is absolutely no trouble at all with filling a stadium, but whatever. It was sad to the the Nordiques go(although I really do think that Quebec City is a bit too small to support an NHL team), as well as the Winnipeg Jets (Phoenix is NOT a hockey town!) but whatever. Maybe someday another NHL team will be moved or an expansion team placed in whatever large cities Canada has left that doesn't already have an NHL team. And some rich guy to buy and own them too. *sigh* :(

Official Hockey Thread - A Black Falcon - 12th October 2003

Pro? Pro to me means the top league... below that is the minor league organization, like baseball's minor leagues or the AHL (the minor league the Pirates are in, I believe)...

And I've never heard of the CHL. You sure they have a team here?

Official Hockey Thread - The Former DMiller - 12th October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Fittisize
DMiller-At a Major Midget (AAA hockey, the highest level of minor hockey there is) tournament in Calgary, Team Illinois (how many million people does Illinois have? Is it close to 10?) played in the finals against Price Albert, Saskatchewan (30, 000 people approx.) and beat them by one goal (earlier on in the tourny however PA did beat Team Illinois). Puh. Damn Illinoians...have to send and all star team to beat the likes of a tiny city of Prince Albert. (that's right, greedy Illinoian punks)

Illinois has around 12.5 million people. Doesn't seem fair does it?

Official Hockey Thread - N-Man - 12th October 2003

Fitts: the W-Hawks play in Portland, OR, not Portland, ME.

That said, Maine does have a CHL team, just not in Portland. Ladies and gentlemen, the Quebec Junior-Major Hockey League's worst-named team in the history of ever - worse than the Cap Breton Screaming Eagles and the Halifax Mooseheads - the Lewiston Maineiacs.

Get it?

Maine. iacs.

Maniacs.

*sigh*

Official Hockey Thread - A Black Falcon - 12th October 2003

Portland, OR, is quite different from Portland, ME... our Portland is a much older town, but the population isn't quite as large. ;)

And Maine jokes and stuff are common. Common, and kind of stupid...

For example, we don't have Main Street (in my town)... its Maine Street. Really.

Official Hockey Thread - Fittisize - 12th October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Pro? Pro to me means the top league... below that is the minor league organization, like baseball's minor leagues or the AHL (the minor league the Pirates are in, I believe)...

And I've never heard of the CHL. You sure they have a team here?

I'm talking professional as in you get paid to play hockey. The minor hockey I'm thinking of is for people 17 and under, who don't get paid to play hockey, legally anyways.

CHL (Candian Hockey League) is a Junior League (not farm league, junior leage, I think max. age is 20) and it's divided up in three sub leagues, WHL (Western hockey league), OHL (Ontario Hockey League) and QJMHL (Quebec Major Junior). And I did not know about a Portland, Maine...oh well.

Official Hockey Thread - A Black Falcon - 14th October 2003

Hockey is certainly more interesting to watch than football...

Official Hockey Thread - Great Rumbler - 14th October 2003

Well then why don't you make a hockey thread and talk about it there instead of here, which is a college FOOTBALL thread.

Official Hockey Thread - Great Rumbler - 14th October 2003

Now, ABF and Fittisize have a place to talk about hockey.

Official Hockey Thread - Weltall - 14th October 2003

Hockey is certainly more interesting to watch than football...

Oh, indeed. I especially love the loooooong periods of scorelessness and the insanely frequent tied games. It lends an atmosphere of sheer intensity!

I've never been a baseball fan either, but I still find it loads more enjoyable than hockey, mostly because it usually doesn't put me to sleep.

Figure-Skating with sticks!

Official Hockey Thread - Fittisize - 14th October 2003

Might as well cut a paste this from the football thread....

Hockey is a waaaaaay faster game than football is, and you can't say it's not without being a dumbass. Actually 60 minutes of the game are played, not the twelve whole minutes of actualy football that is played in a game (Kickoff, wait thirty seconds, do a running play, wait another 30-35 seconds, do another four second running play, tick thirty seconds of the clock, PASS IT! Oh, dropped pass, at least another four seconds are ticked off etc. etc.). Watching players skate around the ice at insanely high speeds is much more entertaining that seeing a 300 pound blocker (or whatever they are called...) doing his best not to pass out from being on the field for over twenty seconds at a time. Also, being a hockey player requires way more skill than being a football player. Learning how to skate, for one, can be very difficult, and the amount of years it takes to develop a slap-shot that goes over 90 mph is a long road...Hockey players have to excel at every aspect of the game, where as football players only have to be good at one part (running, kicking, catching, being a fat-ass etc.).

Average amount of goals in a hockey game is about 3 a piece...depending on the team you are playing however that can differ. Besides, it's way more fun to watch a third period or overtime game that's at 1-1, 2-2 etc. than a tight football game, because half the time those games end with the quarterback kneeling three plays in a row, and then the game just ending with 35 seconds left anyways.

That's one thing I really dislike about [NFL] football, anyways; they don't stop the clock as much as they should.

The physical aspects of both games are the same, however, I figure.

Pace isn't everything... fast-paced ones can certainly be more exciting, but I love baseball with its slow pace and lack of a clock... its slow, but every pitch has excitement like plays in football I guess. Its really two completely different styles of play... with basketball on hockey's side of course, but slower.

Football I just don't like all that much because people trying to run into eachother as hard as possible just isn't very interesting to me. :)

I'm surprised also that two of TC's most liberal gentlemen love the pro sport that has the least racial diversity of all major pro sports. :D

I love baseball. I wouldn't say 'love' for any other sports... I like hockey, and like soccer, but not 'love'.

And if black people lived in snowy areas in any significant numbers they'd play hockey too. :)

I love baseball. I wouldn't say 'love' for any other sports... I like hockey, and like soccer, but not 'love'.

And if black people lived in snowy areas in any significant numbers they'd play hockey too. :)

Not fair. Hockey is played all over America.

Not outside of domes, it isn't... note how most all players on teams below areas that get snow have players mostly all from the northern states, Canada, and Europe? :)

Not outside of domes, it isn't... note how most all players on teams below areas that get snow have players mostly all from the northern states, Canada, and Europe? :)

Los Angeles and New York both have hockey teams. Both cities have several million black people and eight, maybe nine of them gives half a shit.

:)

Official Hockey Thread - Fittisize - 14th October 2003

What's wrong with not liking a sport because not very many black people play in it? There ya go again, playing the race card. Rolleyes

There's a few black people in the NHL...not very many, though. But Jarome Iginla scored fifty goals two years ago, and he's the first black captain of an NHL team. Anson Carter scored the winning goal in overtime for Team Canada at the world championships last year. And he's black. And Grant Fuhr is in the Hall of Fame as a goalie...

Ok that isn't too much but a sport doesn't have to have black people in it to make it the best sport.

One of the reasons you probably hate hockey is that it's the only major sport (other than soccer) that USA doesnt' dominate in. Probably not, though.

Official Hockey Thread - Laser Link - 14th October 2003

You guys are all being supidly stubborn. But I don't know why I even point that out, since this is Tendo City.

Fittisize, don't go on about how hockey is much more difficult to play than football. You sound like one of those dummies that thinks football is all about fat people hitting each other, and you know the game better than that. It is not that hard to learn to skate, just as it is not that hard to learn to walk. Anyone can do it if they practice. Sure, it adds,an extra element of difficulty to the game, but it's not some unbelievably difficult thing.

Yes, hockey is played constantly, and we both know that excluding the goalie the players are on the ice for about 30 seconds per shift. And even then they are not going full speed the whole time. The only time I see players skating as fast as they can is when there is an odd-man rush. The rest of the time they tend to loaf it up the ice and dump.

And while I certainly agree that hockey is a physical game and I blasted someone once for saying the soccer is more physical than hockey, it is not even close to football. That's the simple truth. Here's proof: Hockey teams will sometimes play 3 or 4 games a week. Football is still only one per week, only 16 games per year. And if you think that proves that football players are wimps, you aren't thinking clearly. Think how much more money the NFL would make if they doubled the season to 32 games and had teams play even twice a week. It would be astronomical. Do you really think they would let that slip by just to create the illusion that football is a tough sport? Not a chance. Collisions in hockey are brutal, but they are also very rare. How many hits, even little ones, do you see in a NHL game? You know the game much better than I do, but I would guess around 30. There are 30 hits on every single play in the NFL. And most of them are just as brutal as anything in hockey.

Also, football players have to run plays. There is a lot of strategy in game plans and adjusting to the other team. I know there is that in hockey as well, but not to the extent of football. There is no sport that is so playbook dependant as football. And not only must they know what to do on every single play, most of the players have to be able to adjust during the play based on what happens. If a defense is playing a soft zone the receiver might have to cut his route short, but at the same time the quarterback must see the same thing and know the reciever is changing the route. And it all happens in seconds.

Now I'm not trying to say that hockey is an inferior game at all. I think it's amazing that these guys can play 82 games in the regular seasona nd then go through a 2 month long playoff playing every other day. That takes incredible strength and endurance. And I think a good playoff hockey game is much more entertaining than most football playoffs games. There is nothing in sports like a triple overtime 0-0 game 7. You know that every single shot or mistake could win the series, and it is amazing. Football can be very exciting, but it often only comes in spurts. It's awesome to see somebody catch a huge pass or see a running back break a bunch of tackles as he goes for a long TD. It doesn't happen often, but what is cool about football is that it could happen anytime. People often think that hockey is boring because they dump the puck so often, but that's the equivalent of a draw play or a screen pass in football. It is neccesary and even a good strategy, but you don't understand it until you learn the game. Hockey doesn't have a lot of scoring, but the goals are so huge when they do come. Baseball is the same. People who think baseball is boring just don't understand the strategy in every single play. It's a huge chess game.

So there is the unbiased truth. Both games are great, so nobody should be blasting the other sport in ignorance. I do like football more, as I was raised on the game. I've played it my whole life and was very obsessed when I was younger. I've only followed hockey for about 8 years, and I know I ams still new and very ignorant of the game. But I think I know enough to make this comparison fairly.

Quote:Originally posted by Fittisize
What's wrong with not liking a sport because not very many black people play in it? There ya go again, playing the race card. Rolleyes

There's a few black people in the NHL...not very many, though. But Jarome Iginla scored fifty goals two years ago, and he's the first black captain of an NHL team. Anson Carter scored the winning goal in overtime for Team Canada at the world championships last year. And he's black. And Grant Fuhr is in the Hall of Fame as a goalie...

Ok that isn't too much but a sport doesn't have to have black people in it to make it the best sport.

One of the reasons you probably hate hockey is that it's the only major sport (other than soccer) that USA doesnt' dominate in. Probably not, though.

Jesus dude, it was a joke.

I don't hate hockey, I wouldn't tell anyone not to watch it, and I'll even take a peek at a score during the Cup finals. But the game itself I don't like, and not for any other reason than it bores the shit out of me. If it makes you feel any better, I think basketball is even less interesting.

(because of all the black people.)

*waits for it*

Okay, Football isn't JUST fat people hitting eachother... but that's a big part of it...

Official Hockey Thread - Weltall - 15th October 2003

Okay, Football isn't JUST fat people hitting eachother... but that's a big part of it...

One of those 'fat' people would snap your pasty ass in half without breaking a sweat.

And don't think for a second that most of them are fat. I was 370 pounds once, fat as hell, easily the size of a lineman, but there's no way in hell I had the endurance to play a game like that.

Official Hockey Thread - A Black Falcon - 15th October 2003

Quote:One of those 'fat' people would snap your pasty ass in half without breaking a sweat.

Well it's their job to do that, isn't it?

Sure, sure, not all the players do that, but a lot do... and only one game a week. Sure, its needed because of how violent it is... but still. I'm used to baseball's playing every day...

Official Hockey Thread - Dark Lord Neo - 15th October 2003

The reason Canadian cities can't keep hockey teams is because of the diffrences in currency. Tickits are bought in CDN$'s but the players are payed in USD's.

Official Hockey Thread - Laser Link - 18th October 2003

So.... The Avs are gonna kick butt this year. Their offense is better than some All-Star teams, heck, they ARE an All-Star team. I wish Roy was still around, but I think they'll score enough points to be okay.

Official Hockey Thread - Fittisize - 18th October 2003

Damn Avalanche...I wish they were still the Nordiques. :(

Oh and if it's not the Rangers and Avs in the Stanley Cup finals than both teams have real horrible coaching and management...they both have too good of lineups to not be.

Of course, it'll end up the Oilers and Senators playing for the Cup. Booyah.

The Rangers peak about August, and it's all down hill for the rest of the year. Which is the entire regular season. The Sens will take care of them in the East. And the Red Wings would be really great if they could play 2 goalies at a time! I hope Roy gets angry with Hasek for coming back and decides he wants a few more years as well. It won't happen this year, but maybe next.

Official Hockey Thread - Fittisize - 18th October 2003

Ha, I highly doubt that Roy will come back. :) He said that he just lost the passion for it, and I believe him too. He didn't want to play for Team Canada in the Olympics, you can't have lost enough passion to do that. He's by far paid his dues, though. Most ever wins as a goaltender, three Stanley Cups,(or is it four?) and a playoff MVP or two as well.

Oh yeah, Oilers beat the Avs in Edmonton tonight. :p They've only won once in their last 8 games at Skyreach Centre (Oiler's stadium) now.

I don't think Roy will come back either, but Hasek said he didn't have the passion to play anymore and he's come back twice. So who knows.