Tendo City
$99 PS2??? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: $99 PS2??? (/showthread.php?tid=1156)

Pages: 1 2

$99 PS2??? - OB1 - 15th October 2003

Quote:Well then go back in time and tell that to my eight-year old self.

Rolleyes I was just explaining to you why you had problems with your NES.

Quote: Yeah, I've heard its bad for them, but the danger seems greatly overstated... never heard of anything bad happening because of blowing on carts... and it seems to work to make them run. Okay, maybe like spitting or something is bad... but just blowing the dust off? How?

Bubba, when you blow at anything there's always some saliva that travels with your breath.

$99 PS2??? - A Black Falcon - 15th October 2003

I still doubt that it'd actually destroy games.

$99 PS2??? - OB1 - 15th October 2003

Damage.

$99 PS2??? - Dark Jaguar - 15th October 2003

No it won't, and you must be blowing all weird and messy because many people can blow without blowing spit. Do you wear gloves all the time and try not to touch anything you haven't washed by any chance? (Well, come to think of it, if you did one you wouldn't need to do the other, but that would assume clean freaks have any sense of logic anyway :D.) Yeah, I know spit occasionally sputters out on accident (and woe to those who are unfortunate enough as to see someone spit on their birthday cake by accident, knowing you WANTED some of that cake), but generally I avoid doing that to my stuff, and so long as you wipe it off if it even happens and dry it (which I did whenever I did that) before exposing it to electricity, no harm no foul AT ALL. In fact, the only reason Nintendo even put that warning there is for legal reasons, knowing someone somewhere would eventually spit on it while blowing and then immediatly power the system up.

Um, OB1, your stuff hasn't lasted this long BECAUSE you did all that. It lasted that long AND you did all that. No connection.

And no, the magical saliva you IMAGINE, because it's just a metaphor, for Sharky, didn't short out so very many systems. The reason so many NES systems got all broked was because the stupid "ZIF" system broke itself. The pins got too loose from the pressure of the carts (you'll see how easy that is to happen if you crack open your NES, which I know horrifies you to no end :D (don't bother telling me you've done it before silly, that was FUNNY)), and the carts would just slide right in without making proper contact. A little tweaking with those pins and some cleaning with something better than wind gets those working just fine. Read that last sentance. It proves beyond a doubt that saliva didn't do anything so terrible. The one thing saliva CAN do, short out the cart or system, would prevent something as simple as pin alignment or cleaning from possibly being able to fix it. The mere fact such actions DO fix it proves it's not the case. What other damage could it do? Slow decomposing? Never noticed a bit of rust or any other sort of rot in the stuff I've fixed, plus if that was the case, then again, cleaning and alignment wouldn't fix it!

Remember Full House? You're like that dad from it, you know... Oh what was his name... Oh yeah... DAN! AHAHHAHAHAHA! *points and laughs* You've been brainwashed!

OB1: Everything should be washed *daze*

DJ: ....Right... anyway... one other thing.... The point about most of the dust that even gets into the systems being sucked in when it's on is indeed absolutely correct. Silly OB1, convincing himself that his actions have somehow had a direct impact on protecting his system. The amount of dust entering and leaving when it's off and no wind is moving through it at all (unless you set it next to a fan) is very low indeed. The idea of thinking preventing that minimal amount of dust protects your system when so much more is constantly moving about in there is just crazy. If you REALLY want to protect it from dust, open them up now and again and blow some compressed air around. I do that all the time with the systems I can actually get into. I know I'm actually HELPING it too, as opposed to your systems which are likely filled with dust (except for the 1% you prevented thanks to your oh-so-careful putting away at night actions :D). However, I do acknowledge that even if I didn't it wouldn't really lower the life span of my system by very much, if any. It's not like I leave my systems with the cases OFF lying around all the time.

There's a diff between things that WILL protect it, like putting your games in safe containers and such, and stuff that WON'T, like your neurotic stuff. I'm not surprised that rather than admit it, you claim everyone else is filthy. Self defense really. Eventually, you'll realize you're acting in utter futility. That won't be enough though. You'll keep doing it even though you know it's worthless just because you need the mental satisfaction, that "click" where your brain finally says "it's alright, feel complete now". Now OB1, rather than attempt the futile act of getting us all to become neat freaks (and OB1, it's not laziness, your acts do NOTHING to really protect your system at all, that's why we avoid it, much like how we are "too lazy" to dance the dance of safety around our systems before bed each night), turn the camera around and try lightening up. To think, with your own VERY obvious neatitude disorder, you once accused me of being too paranoid :D.

Oh c'mon LAUGH, that was funny!

$99 PS2??? - A Black Falcon - 15th October 2003

Yeah, that is ironic... :)

And I agree. OB1 is obsessive and it won't add a lot of life to his systems. Sure, I could do more than I do, but I think I do plenty to protect my systems... I don't leave games lying around on the floor, for instance...

$99 PS2??? - Weltall - 16th October 2003

I don't think the reason most NESs went bad was because of people blowing on cartridges. That practice was in place long before and lasted long after the NES. The reason the NES was so faulty was because of that crazy spring-load cartridge design, which easily and quickly, in many cases, misaligned, which is why the famous practice of using the black plastic sleeve to keep the spring-load anchored down came into being. My NES simply would not work period unless I did that.

$99 PS2??? - OB1 - 16th October 2003

Simpletons, the very first thing you'll learn in any computer maintenance class is that blowing into electronics is BAD. Unless you have a completely dry mouth there is always going to be some amount of saliva traveling with your breath. Are you really that stupid? I haven't had to blow into my NES or carts once since I've started cleaning them the right way. Ask any computer or console repair person about this and they'll tell you that I'm right.

$99 PS2??? - A Black Falcon - 16th October 2003

Oh horror, my games will break! Yeah, right... it can't be very bad at all or people would have games breaking because of it all the time...

*sigh*

Are you really that dumb? Of course your carts won't melt if you blow into them, but it does damage them over time. That is also why if you ever called Nintendo technical support back during the NES days they would always tell you not to blow into your carts and systems.

You overstate the danger. And anyway, I'm talking about GB, not NES... you never have to blow into the system, for one...

I'm overstating the danger by saying "it does damage them over time"?? You are incredibly dense, ABF. You see everything in extremes. It's either "it'll blow up your system!" or "it won't do anything at all!" with you. :shake:

If it hurts them at all its very minor to the point of being irrelevant, I think.

You think wrong, as usual.

I doubt it.

Rolleyes

$99 PS2??? - Great Rumbler - 16th October 2003

I only rarely blow into my SNES carts, because they usually work pretty good.

I had to clean my used copy of Space Station Silicon Valley with hydrogen peroxide in order for it to work.

$99 PS2??? - Weltall - 16th October 2003

What it still comes down to is that NES machines broke far more often than most other consoles, and it was not due to people blowing in cartridges.

$99 PS2??? - A Black Falcon - 17th October 2003

Yeah, I had to clean the contacts for some of the N64 games I got used... the games wouldn't run until I got the stuff off them. I actualy cleaned Mischief Makers with a toothbrush... :) See, we don't have Q-Tips.

None of my N64 games have ever gotten dirty enough to not work, however, or even required any cleaning.

$99 PS2??? - OB1 - 17th October 2003

My NES has lasted much longer than my stupid PS2.

$99 PS2??? - Private Hudson - 17th October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
My NES has lasted much longer than my stupid PS2.

Have you tried opening up and cleaning it?

$99 PS2??? - Sacred Jellybean - 17th October 2003

OB1: You think that(cleaning the cartridge out with hydrogen peroxide, that is)'d help my copy of Space Station: Silicon Valley? It locks up during certain parts of the game, and always at the same moment. I figured that I simply recieved a defective copy.

Quote:Have you tried opening up and cleaning it?

Not yet.

Quote:OB1: You think that(cleaning the cartridge out with hydrogen peroxide, that is)'d help my copy of Space Station: Silicon Valley? It locks up during certain parts of the game, and always at the same moment. I figured that I simply recieved a defective copy.

Before you try cleaning it make sure that you don't have an expansion pak in your N64. Silicon Valley is one of the few N64 games that locks up when an expansion pak is inserted. And if that's not the problem then take a couple of cue tips, dip them into hydrogen peroxide (make sure they're not dripping wet), and wipe the cartridge contacts with it.

HOLY CRAP!! I *do* have an expansion pack in! That's probably the problem! Thanks. :D

Unfortunately, I think I threw out the old... silicon chip thingie that came with the N64. I better rummage around for it when I get home.

Hahaha, it also took me a while before I remembered that little detail when I first got the game. :D

It'll be a real bummer if you can't find that little plastic placeholder thingy since I believe the N64 won't run without it. If worse comes to worse you could always call Nintendo customer support and ask if they could send you another one.

Hmm... ya think they'd send me a new one? I *am* a poor college kid, after all. Eek

Well considering that the only other way you could get one is by buying a new N64, Nintendo just might be nice enough to send you one for free. I've had good experiences with them. Just tell them that SSSV doesn't work if there's an expansion pak plugged in and you lost the black plastic thingy.

Cool, I'll try that this weekend. Thanks.

Sure. Tell them that Artie McFunkleton sent you. They'll know what it means...

...or hang up on you.

I saw a copy of SSSV in the store once used... several of the contacts were competely chipped off. Somehow I doubt it'd work, even with an expansion pack...

You mean even without an expansion pak. The game will not work if there's an expansion pak in your N64.

Yeah, right... without. Though I hadn't heard that about that game...

It was mentioned in a few magazines and gaming sites back when the game first came out.

Really? I'd forgotten that... strange. I didn't know any games were incompatible with the expansion pack. I know that Blast Corps is incompatible with the Rumple Pack, though. :)

Yeah it's pretty annoying.