Tendo City
$99 PS2??? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: $99 PS2??? (/showthread.php?tid=1156)

Pages: 1 2

$99 PS2??? - A Black Falcon - 11th October 2003

http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/4432/

links this report

http://ultimategamez.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1065718031,8453,

... don't know, seems like a much bigger drop than Sony would be prepared to do. A smaller one, maybe, given the GC's recent succes... but that? I doubt it. But still... if its true...

$99 PS2??? - Great Rumbler - 11th October 2003

I heard this rumor too, but it sounds a little far-fetched. Not to say that I don't think it's something Sony wouldn't do, but I think in their current situation a price-cut like this just isn't necessary.

$99 PS2??? - A Black Falcon - 11th October 2003

Yeah, it definitely sounds a bit out there. Now $150... that I definitely would believe.

$99 PS2??? - Weltall - 11th October 2003

I'm not sure about this one.

For one thing, I've not received any promotional material, or any information at all, regarding any price drop, though our Sony rep comes in this Wednesday...

That aside, I can almost believe it might happen, as doing so would essentially destroy Xbox and GC sales for the holidays, and PS2 has a large enough lead for them to take that chance (and hell, the profits come from the games anyway).

But on the flip side, Sony would probably be eating at least $60 per console if they did drop the price, therefore I can't help but wonder, if the rumor has any credibility at all, if Sony would consider it worth the risk to sell tons of software... that $60 would be recouped with about three sales of $50 games, so it isn't entirely unplausible...

We'll just have to see.

$99 PS2??? - OB1 - 13th October 2003

Even though this would completely destroy the GC's chances of selling decently this holiday season, I kinda want it to happen since my damn PS2 doesn't work half of the time and I might need to replace it soon. Stupid Sony and their shitty hardware.

$99 PS2??? - A Black Falcon - 13th October 2003

But why should they spend the money to make good quality hardware when with lower quality hardware they will make significantly more money (in saving money on quality and on replacements, which everyone will need)?

$99 PS2??? - OB1 - 13th October 2003

$99 PS2??? - Private Hudson - 14th October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
Even though this would completely destroy the GC's chances of selling decently this holiday season, I kinda want it to happen since my damn PS2 doesn't work half of the time and I might need to replace it soon. Stupid Sony and their shitty hardware.

Have you tried taking the damn thing apart and cleaning it? Every few months or so my PS2 starts to play up (only playing some games, only playing some DVD's, not always reading the disc, etc.) and my friends start to harp on about how shitty the PS2 hardware is. Until I simply open it up and clean it and it works perfectly everytime.

Also, most people I've seen complaining about their PS2 breaking just give it a clean and it works fine, too.

$99 PS2??? - OB1 - 14th October 2003

Hey guess what? My ancient NES still works. So does my N64, my Dreamcast, my Gamecube, my PS2, my PSX, my X-Box, and all of the other consoles that I have. The PS2 is a shitty piece of hardware.

$99 PS2??? - Great Rumbler - 14th October 2003

My PS2 has trouble reading PSX discs.

Have you tried cleaning it?

I've cleaned my PS2 many times, the exact way that Sony told me to. I don't want to open up the system.

Yeah, I don't really want to take apart my PS2 either. I'd rather not make the system any more broken than it already is.

Actually it will read PSX discs but you have to turn the system over on its side.

$99 PS2??? - Weltall - 14th October 2003

I dunno. I never had a Playstation problem, save for an original Playstation, but it lasted a robust seven years of constant use. My first NES didn't even last half as long. Also, one of my original GameBoys shit out on me within three years. Conversely, I have an Intellivision, which anyone whose ever owned one knows they're hardly durable, and it's been going for a solid 18 years.

I seriously do think it's just that people don't take care of them properly. I give all my systems a good cleandown every month.

$99 PS2??? - Dark Jaguar - 14th October 2003

Well, with the PSX not even out yet, I'm not surprised your PS2 can't read PSX disks. :D

Quote:I dunno. I never had a Playstation problem, save for an original Playstation, but it lasted a robust seven years of constant use. My first NES didn't even last half as long. Also, one of my original GameBoys shit out on me within three years. Conversely, I have an Intellivision, which anyone whose ever owned one knows they're hardly durable, and it's been going for a solid 18 years.

I seriously do think it's just that people don't take care of them properly. I give all my systems a good cleandown every month.

I cover my systems whenever I'm not using them, and I force myself and anyone else who plays with them to wash their hands.

Sony makes shitty hardware, simple as that.

You know what I'm talking about! Besides, the new "PSX" doesn't use a special kind of disc anyway.

He's got you there, DJ! :p

$99 PS2??? - A Black Falcon - 14th October 2003

My cousins had a Dreamcast. It broke quickly. They got a new one. It's messed up and keeps reading discs badly... you have to constantly clean off the head thing with a Q-Tip and it still too often fails to read a game in midgame... and one of my N64s (I have two) broke... it reads games, but it won't read the in-cartridge saves of games with those. It reads the carts as blank and not saved on. That system also reset the memory in my SSB cart so that it looks like I've never played it... and I'm really lucky it didn't do that to Zelda:MM... and I remember another cousins' original NES being a major pain to get to work, and that was like ten years ago.

My (original) Game Boy also has several dead lines on its screen. Our other GB also has some, I think... not sure, I never use that one.

I must be lucky [or you're unlucky] because almost all of my systems still work just fine, except an old Atari that I used to have a long time ago [my bro pulled the cart out while it was still on, fried the thing] and an NES that had the usual problem [you know what I mean].

I cover my systems whenever I'm not using them, and I force myself and anyone else who plays with them to wash their hands.

Sony makes shitty hardware, simple as that.

Then, my friend, either I have great luck or yours sucks. :shakeit:

I've never had any problems with any non-Sony consoles. And many others have reported problems with their PS2's so I'm definitely not alone.

I've never had any problems with any non-Sony consoles. And many others have reported problems with their PS2's so I'm definitely not alone.

So then either my luck is good, or I take better care of my stuff than a lot of other people. I'm betting on the latter.

Not a chance. I'm the most anal-retentive person in the universe when it comes to taking care of my electronics. During the first few years that I had my N64 I used to put the system back into its original packaging every night. I clean my systems regularly, have everything neatly organized, and cover every system before I go to bed. I also keep my GBA games in the little plastic sleeves that they come in.

$99 PS2??? - A Black Falcon - 14th October 2003

That's insane... there's being careful and there's going too far. Keeping GB games in the plastic sleeves and the N64 in its box? That's 'too far'. :) I used to keep GB games in the plastic boxes, but abandoned that years ago... now I just keep them in this GB-holder bag. It has spaces for games in one part but that only holds like ten games and I have many more so they're just loose in there. But its a zippered-closed section so they are relatively safe... though I do often have to blow on them to get the dust off so that they'll work.

On that note... what did they do to N64 carts that avoids that problem? I've never had to do that with them, unlike GB games (or, of course, NES carts...)...

Almost all people that I've seen (at forums) complain about their PS2 having problems are given the advice to open it up and clean it. And you know what? Every time they come back and say that it works perfectly. You would be surprised how much dust gets in there.

$99 PS2??? - Dark Jaguar - 15th October 2003

My PS2 has worked perfectly since the day I got it. Not a single skip even. Maybe that's just me though.

OB1, that IS too far. No need to cover a system that's self-covering, and it looks a lot better OUT. With that logic you should cover your TV too, and your moniter, and your PC! Don't forget the plastic sheet over your bed. However, from the sounds of it ABF just leaves his games lying around in a mud puddle :D. Okay, not NEARLY that bad, but I do always keep my games in the plastic cases they came with, if they came with cases. I also always put my games away because it's more orderly that way. I tend to keep my controllers wrapped up and put next to the system (still plugged in, just wrapped up to that plug, or close, and set next to the system). I also keep my various portables safely tucked inside some containers to protect their screens. Though, with the new SP, I'm content just leaving it where I place it when it charges since it protects itself. Oh, and I NEVER "unplug a system when I'm done using it". Never have, never will. Too much work for no real reason at all. Besides that, my systems look nice all stacked up how they are. Wash their hands before using the system? That's just compulsive disorder. I can understand if you just ate pancakes or something. I wash my hands if there's syrup or soda on them too before using a controller (well, I do that anyway, because stickiness feels icky), and tell others to do the same if they just ate something messy. Ohterwise, what's the point?

Anyway, Weltall does seem to have had bad luck with Nintendo systems, oddly enough. Not the first I've heard about such complaints. I myself have always had my GBs work perfectly from day one to now. They just seem to endure. I mean, I've dropped my various GBs more times than I care to count, simply because I'm VERY clumsy. They survived perfectly. The worst that would ever happen is the battery pack would pop out. My NES works to this day as well. Aside from the cartridge slot, it's well built. I was starting to have some problems loading some games, but I fixed that by opening up the system a few years ago and using a glasses repair kit screwdriver to lift up the connecting pins inside the NES a tad. It was more than enough. For a while, I actually had to force games to fit in, but they all loaded percectly. Now, the pins are perfect resistance. SNES and N64? Perfect! The one problem is one I caused myself. When I was over at a relative's and playing my SNES, which was in the middle of the room, someone tripped over the power cord and broke a bit of plastic that kept the thing straight. Now I have to tape the cord at an angle to get the system to power up, but it still works most of the time (though occasionally it'll go into a weird "safety mode" or something like that when the connection is there but faulty, so I end up having to fiddle around a bit).

$99 PS2??? - OB1 - 15th October 2003

DJ, you are lazy, I am not. Simple as that. :p

$99 PS2??? - Great Rumbler - 15th October 2003

Not a chance. I'm the most anal-retentive person in the universe when it comes to taking care of my electronics. During the first few years that I had my N64 I used to put the system back into its original packaging every night. I clean my systems regularly, have everything neatly organized, and cover every system before I go to bed. I also keep my GBA games in the little plastic sleeves that they come in.

Hahaha! That's like the exact opposite of what I do. Although, I do take of my consoles, I do, however, leave them out for long periods of time, leave catridges out of boxes [but with the open end turned so that it isn't exposed as much to dust], and just generally leave stuff out so I can get to it quickly.

$99 PS2??? - A Black Falcon - 15th October 2003

My computer games I always keep in their CD cases either in a box or in a CD-rack. My N64 and NGC games I have in a box lid... its the perfect size to hold most of my collection. I keep the NGC games in their cases, but the N64 ones are loose (standing upright). Systems? By the TV. Only one can be plugged in at a time, though, due to the number or available outlets. And the GB games are loose in that GB case. :)

As for protecting GB screens... yes, that is an issue. I try to usually keep my GBs in the GB-bag I've got (its got two sections, one with the games and another padded one for systems), but I obviously can't always... and while for some reason my original GB is okay (somewhat scratched screen, but not awful) my GBC is terrible. Lots of scratches everywhere on that screen... its not good. Oh well... one more reason for the GBA. :)

Oh yeah, and I think the original GB is quite possibly the most durable system ever. Nothing can damage that thing unless you REALLY try...

That's true, but for the other home consoles with those air vents it's always good to cover them at night, despite what DJ thinks. That might be going to the extreme, but it still helps keep dust out.

I don't do that with my systems and they all work fine, well, except for my PS2, but I blame Sony for that. :)

Well of course they work fine, but my systems will probably last longer than yours...

$99 PS2??? - Weltall - 15th October 2003

To be fair, it's only the old Nintendo systems of mine that crapped out on me, and I know the Gameboy was an anomaly, but the original model NES was by far the worst-designed, shoddiest hardware I've ever owned. Again, to be fair, my Super NES, going on nine years of age, still works as good as the day I got it.

But covering vents to keep dust out? That IS anal, especially since 99% of it gets in via air intakes while the thing is running.

The GB isn't an anomaly. It's indicitive of Nintendo's quality... a quality/toughness level that has dropped in recent years with systems like the NGC and GBA-SP but is still above the competition's, I'd say.

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
The GB isn't an anomaly. It's indicitive of Nintendo's quality... a quality/toughness level that has dropped in recent years with systems like the NGC and GBA-SP but is still above the competition's, I'd say.

Poor choice of words. I mean that my GameBoy kicking the bucket was an anomaly.

Quote:To be fair, it's only the old Nintendo systems of mine that crapped out on me, and I know the Gameboy was an anomaly, but the original model NES was by far the worst-designed, shoddiest hardware I've ever owned. Again, to be fair, my Super NES, going on nine years of age, still works as good as the day I got it.

My NES still works, while my PS2 barely does anymore. Yeah, the NES sure was shoddily built!

Quote:But covering vents to keep dust out? That IS anal, especially since 99% of it gets in via air intakes while the thing is running.

Yes it is anal, but my systems are still in perfect condition because of my extreme care. Well, everything but Sony's piece of shit hardware. Covering the vents at night after you've cleaned your system helps keep dust out.

Ah. Yes. Having them lose some lines on the screen is normal, though... both of mine did it, as well as my cousins', so I think its normal. :)

My NES still works, while my PS2 barely does anymore. Yeah, the NES sure was shoddily built!

Yes, they were. And if you even try to tell me you turn it on and get the game working the very first time every time, without blowing on the cart or inside the machine or performing all sorts of little tricks which are pretty famous because the NES WAS A PIECE OF SHIT, then you are either the world's luckiest bastard or your NES was never once used until about six months ago.

No. Just because YOUR NES is bad doesn't mean they all are! Sure, many have had problems with the loading mechanism, but its not that badly built... and the version 2 NES is quite good.

Quote:Yes, they were. And if you even try to tell me you turn it on and get the game working the very first time every time, without blowing on the cart or inside the machine or performing all sorts of little tricks which are pretty famous because the NES WAS A PIECE OF SHIT, then you are either the world's luckiest bastard or your NES was never once used until about six months ago.

That's the first mistake you made. Blowing into your system and carts is very damaging to them. You're supposed to dip a cue tip into hydrogen peroxide and gently clean the contacts on your carts and inside the system in order to clean it. Everyone blew into their carts and systems which is why some of them broke down so fast.

I've been blowing on my GB carts to get the dust off them to get them to work (never need to blow in the system, though) forever and all my GBs still work perfectly...

So you've been lucky so far. You should really stop doing that.

Quote:Well of course they work fine, but my systems will probably last longer than yours...

I have a lot of older systems that I do that with and they still work just fine.

Well mine will probably last a decade longer than yours, so :shakeit:

'lucky'. No, I somehow doubt that. See, I can't see any possible way that simply blowing into a GB cart to get rid of the dust and let the game be read in the system (games I haven't played in a while generally need that before they will run) could hurt the contacts...

Whenever you blow into a cart or whatever some of your saliva gets onto the contacts, and that is very bad for them.

Yeah, so I avoid spitting into the carts... :)

That's the first mistake you made. Blowing into your system and carts is very damaging to them. You're supposed to dip a cue tip into hydrogen peroxide and gently clean the contacts on your carts and inside the system in order to clean it. Everyone blew into their carts and systems which is why some of them broke down so fast.

Well then go back in time and tell that to my eight-year old self.

Besides, I've been blowing on my Intellivision carts forever and most still work just fine.

Yeah, I've heard its bad for them, but the danger seems greatly overstated... never heard of anything bad happening because of blowing on carts... and it seems to work to make them run. Okay, maybe like spitting or something is bad... but just blowing the dust off? How?