Tendo City
Arnold wins! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Arnold wins! (/showthread.php?tid=1143)

Arnold wins! - alien space marine - 7th October 2003

WTF!

Reality is so screwed!

I guess now there will be no terminator 4....

Arnold wins! - Great Rumbler - 7th October 2003

In Japan they elected a Congressman who was a profesional wrestler and in he refused to take off his mask even when their Congress was in session.

Arnold wins! - A Black Falcon - 7th October 2003

That's pretty silly, but Ahhnold as governor is worse...

Arnold wins! - Great Rumbler - 7th October 2003

We'll see.

Arnold wins! - Fittisize - 7th October 2003

Jim Rome makes fun of Minnesota a lot because Jesse Ventura is their governer. But now he said that if Anoldswazeneger! gets elected he won't make fun of Minnesota anymore.

Another funny thing, Jim Rome had Eric Gagne on his piece-of-crap list, and when he had something like fifty saves in a row he took Gagne off his list and put himself on it. :D

(Jim Rome is a sports, er, analyst I guess who has his own radio show that airs every morning. It's a good show, if only I could listen to it more often)

Arnold wins! - Laser Link - 7th October 2003

Sometimes I like Jim Rome, sometimes I don't. He can be funny, but also extremely opinionated and stupid.

Arnold wins! - bomberman - 7th October 2003

now i guess old arnie has to shut down his pizza shop

Arnold wins! - OB1 - 7th October 2003

Damn. No T4.

Arnold wins! - alien space marine - 8th October 2003

Arnold talked about terminator 4 once remeber.
So I guess it is still possible he could do it but probaily not a major role like before.

Arnold wins! - Weltall - 8th October 2003

I'm kind of happy for him, as at the very least he'll be a marked improvement over Grayout Davis' 5 1/2 year failed experiment in liberal excess, but I personally would have voted for McClintock, because I'm afraid Ahnold isn't conservative enough, and McClintock was vastly better qualified to undo the fiscal disaster caused by the thankfully-dead Grayout regime. But only time will tell.

But oh well. Half a loaf is better than none. Go Ahnold!

Arnold wins! - Dark Jaguar - 8th October 2003

Half a loaf? That's a new expression that's never once been said in the history of mankind! Explain the etymology of it!

There's ACTUALLY someone named McClintock? That's hilarious!

"Welcome to the offices of McClintock and McClintock. If you would like to speak to McClintock, press 1. If you would like to speak with the other McClintock, press 2. If you do not wish to speak with either of them, please go into your back yard and hit yourself in the head with a hammer now. If you do not have a hammer, press 3. If you do not have a back yard, press 4. If you do not have a head, press 5. If you are just calling to annoy us, please hang up and try again."

Arnold wins! - Weltall - 8th October 2003

I heard it on the radio not even an hour ago, in fact pertaining to Arnold's victory :D

I think a real reason for Arnold winning over Mclintock is because california is a Liberal state and having a moderate worked better for the Republicans. Arnold isnt there for promoting anything except rebuilding the States screwed economy and fixing up stupidity why be concerned when it wont really matter what he believes in.

As for experience it may be true Mclintock was better qualified but what people wanted waisnt qaulification but motivation. Gray Davis was Qualified but he certainly didnt deliver , People didnt want a dead fish politician but a somthing exciting and new out of the box and Arnold was it.

Arnold wins! - A Black Falcon - 8th October 2003

McClintock is way too far right to win in California. Ahhnold? He's a pretty moderate Republican, and people were tired of career politicians like Davis... so they voted for that idiot...

Arnold wins! - Undertow - 8th October 2003

Gooo...runn...GET TO THE OFFICE!

Arnold wins! - Undertow - 8th October 2003

Double post.

Did anyone see this rubbish? Reminds me of a small child that loses and and takes his ball home.

http://www.recallarnold.us/

Arnold wins! - Great Rumbler - 8th October 2003

Democracts: Recalls are evil! They're just a power grab by Republicans! The recall must not go through!

*Davis is recalled, Arnold is elected governor*

Democrats: We must recall Arnold!! Our recall must go through!

Let's not forget the Republicans.

Repubs: Recount? Bush won fair and square! Stop whining!

California Repubs: We don't like that he won! We demand a do-over!

DJ: Do-over? What are ya, 5?

In conclusion, both parties believe in whatever helps them get into office.

California Democrats voted for the recall too.

Arnold wins! - OB1 - 8th October 2003

That's because most Californians are stupid.

Or how about the accusations of Arnold's ... sexual indescretions ... ? The exact same Republicans who condemned Clinton in the strongest possible terms support Arnold... and yes I'm sure Democrats that are condemning Arnold supported Clinton... because its generally only bad when the other side does it.

And yes, the fact that with a very high turnout (60-70%) they voted 55-45 for Arnold isn't exactly something that I think Californians should be proud of... at least Jesse Ventura had a platform!

Arnold wins! - OB1 - 8th October 2003

Yeah I believe the only thing Arnold has said so far is that he's going to "pump up Cah-lee-foh-nee-ah!".

Arnold wins! - Fittisize - 8th October 2003

Quote:Sometimes I like Jim Rome, sometimes I don't. He can be funny, but also extremely opinionated and stupid.

Yes, one of his problems is that he is very opiniated, but I think that's why lots of people listen to the show. He can sometimes be a Nazi, like when somebody is phoning in and saying something he doesn't like or isn't right (most of the time, though, it isn't right what they are saying) and he buzzes them off and says, 'Get the hell off of my show and dont' phone in if you're gonna be an idiot!' I also dislike it when he talks bad about soccer, or the French (lots of times it's very funny, but he takes too many cheap shots).

Anyways Arnold winning? Good god and the Californians thought electing him would make it a better state? Good god. Why not vote in a POLITICIAN who actually knows a little bit about being governer of a state!

Well, I'll at least say this. The general problem republicans had wasn't the sexual indescretions, but rather that he lied under oath about it. For those who say "did you expect him to tell the truth?", I say YES. Don't take an oath unless you plan to uphold it, even if it means you embarress yourself. I myself certainly find that the major beef. Of course, had Clinton told the truth from the start, I have no doubt the repubs who "only had a problem with his honesty" would suddenly make the cheating thing out to be the major problem.

Arnold was honnest about it, but atleast he didnt actually have sex.But it did actually make me question him not just as a candidate but as a person, The worry is he will be brought into office and then law suites will shoot up.

but what is odd is that why did they choose now to come out with these complaints? Why not when he was the big shot actor, But what made it oblivious was the fact it was in politics and since watergate and Clinton these sort of things are just conciderd political blackwatering and nasty attack ploys.

Hopefully the sexual thing will clean up smoother for California's sake.

Arnold does have alot of help from experienced pros in politics including former govenors of california.

Quote:but what is odd is that why did they choose now to come out with these complaints?

A very intersting question.

Quote:Arnold was honnest about it, but atleast he didnt actually have sex.But it did actually make me question him not just as a candidate but as a person, The worry is he will be brought into office and then law suites will shoot up.

Well I could say "well at least Clinton had consent", but it wouldn't make that right... same with Arnold here...

And I don't think he stopped... the rumors go well into the '90s...

Quote:but what is odd is that why did they choose now to come out with these complaints? Why not when he was the big shot actor, But what made it oblivious was the fact it was in politics and since watergate and Clinton these sort of things are just conciderd political blackwatering and nasty attack ploys.

Because now they'll get BIG publicity from them... more than before. And because now people are actively searching for them.

Quote:Well, I'll at least say this. The general problem republicans had wasn't the sexual indescretions, but rather that he lied under oath about it. For those who say "did you expect him to tell the truth?", I say YES. Don't take an oath unless you plan to uphold it, even if it means you embarress yourself. I myself certainly find that the major beef. Of course, had Clinton told the truth from the start, I have no doubt the repubs who "only had a problem with his honesty" would suddenly make the cheating thing out to be the major problem.

Oh, Clinton was really stupid to do it, and then even dumber to lie about it... but reacting the way the Republicansdid, with impeachment? Idiocy. Pure idiocy. At least Clinton's lies didn't kill people... unlike Pres. Bush's...

On that note, I wonder what will hapen to Arnold... will he make the accusations not matter by admitting it? It'll be interesting to see if he can avoid being really hurt by them by doing that.

Arnold wins! - bomberman - 8th October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
That's because most Californians are stupid.

BUT, california has the most halarious talk show host ever, michael savage. some of the stuff he says on the air would get me lynched if i raised my hand and said it in class. one time on msnbc he told this gay caller who called up and started insulting him to get aids and die. hes stupid yes, but halarious to listen to

Michael Savage is teh human equivilant of a rabid attack dog and deserves about teh same kind of attention.

Arnold wins! - Laser Link - 8th October 2003

Quote:That's because most Californians are stupid.

Don't bash California- afterall, everyone is originally from there!

Hmm, perhaps you could elaborate on that joke a bit? Where you are from, is there a sort of on-going joke about everyone being from California or something?

Arnold wins! - Laser Link - 8th October 2003

Colorado, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and all the other Western states have grown like crazy over the last 10 years. And all of those people were Californians (okay, and some Texans too). It makes me laugh that these people will complain about how the rich Californians sold their million dollar houses and moved here and all how it ruined life. They blame things like property taxes rising, traffic, bad drivers, pollution, lack of jobs, and every other problem you can think of on Californians. But they forget that Colorado was in a huge economical slump back then. There was nothing here, housing prices were in the toilet, there was NO economy whatsoever. Houses that were worth $20,000 just 15 years ago are now selling for $300,000. Nobody complains about that. I've actually heard complaints that Californians are to blame for the drought, because they water the lawn too much and this somehow chases away the rain. There is no logic to any of these arguments, it's just a huge "Blame California!" thing.

The roads are clogged not because there are too many people, it's that the government and the citizens refuse to pay for new roads! There is a reason California has high taxes, and it's because they actually fix the problems they have. In Colorado Springs the taxes are a little lower, but it takes an hour to drive 5 miles during rush hour because there are only 3 2-lane roads that go east-west. This is a city of 500,000 people and growing faster than the video game industry. We have 1 free-way, and it's only 2 lanes as well! They've been trying to widen it to 3 lanes since I moved here in 99, and they still have barely made any progress. And don't even get me started on Denver's T-Rex project, a 15 year plan to widen the freeway just in time to out grow it again.

I would guess that 30-50% of Colorado citizens moved here from California. That's how it is with the people I know. It was the same way in Idaho and Washington.

All this has led me to the conclusion that these scientists are very wrong. Now they think Africa was the birthplace of human civilization, but I firmly believe it was actually California. The evidence speaks for itself.

Ah, a local thing then :D. Interesting... I suppose if I was from one of those places I'd find the joke a lot more funny then :D.

Arnold wins! - alien space marine - 9th October 2003

Have you ever been to california laser link?

The traffic is so long it is as far as the eye can see regularly.
Unlike colorado california is the biggest state with 35 million people , Infact california is 4 million people bigger then Canada.
Running california is like running a country.Not everyone is rich that is a bad misconception , The majority of california is hard working middle class people who live in regular homes and land.

The major expensive shacks are those close to the ocean and in Orange county.

Arnold wins! - A Black Falcon - 9th October 2003

Yes, build more highways! The perfect way to solve traffic problems!

... oh wait, all it does is generate more cars, get clogged in ten years, and make them make it double-decked... or eight lanes, or something...

They're widening I-95 in Maine from the border at Kittery up to Portland from 2 lanes to 3... its so dumb, there is only enough traffic to fill two lanes in summer when the tourists come. Why spend so much to just get a few summer days with less traffic? Oh well...

Arnold wins! - Undertow - 9th October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon

... oh wait, all it does is generate more cars,

"Hey Martha, did you hear they were expanding the highway?"

"REALLY? I suppose that means we should buy a few new SUVS then! Did you know the Sucliffs' bought 2 f-150s last week? I'm sure they heard the news too!"

Arnold wins! - OB1 - 9th October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Laser Link
Colorado, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and all the other Western states have grown like crazy over the last 10 years. And all of those people were Californians (okay, and some Texans too). It makes me laugh that these people will complain about how the rich Californians sold their million dollar houses and moved here and all how it ruined life. They blame things like property taxes rising, traffic, bad drivers, pollution, lack of jobs, and every other problem you can think of on Californians. But they forget that Colorado was in a huge economical slump back then. There was nothing here, housing prices were in the toilet, there was NO economy whatsoever. Houses that were worth $20,000 just 15 years ago are now selling for $300,000. Nobody complains about that. I've actually heard complaints that Californians are to blame for the drought, because they water the lawn too much and this somehow chases away the rain. There is no logic to any of these arguments, it's just a huge "Blame California!" thing.

The roads are clogged not because there are too many people, it's that the government and the citizens refuse to pay for new roads! There is a reason California has high taxes, and it's because they actually fix the problems they have. In Colorado Springs the taxes are a little lower, but it takes an hour to drive 5 miles during rush hour because there are only 3 2-lane roads that go east-west. This is a city of 500,000 people and growing faster than the video game industry. We have 1 free-way, and it's only 2 lanes as well! They've been trying to widen it to 3 lanes since I moved here in 99, and they still have barely made any progress. And don't even get me started on Denver's T-Rex project, a 15 year plan to widen the freeway just in time to out grow it again.

I would guess that 30-50% of Colorado citizens moved here from California. That's how it is with the people I know. It was the same way in Idaho and Washington.

All this has led me to the conclusion that these scientists are very wrong. Now they think Africa was the birthplace of human civilization, but I firmly believe it was actually California. The evidence speaks for itself.

Yeah but I'm not a native Coloradoan. :p

Quote:"Hey Martha, did you hear they were expanding the highway?"

"REALLY? I suppose that means we should buy a few new SUVS then! Did you know the Sucliffs' bought 2 f-150s last week? I'm sure they heard the news too!"

Hey, we already have more cars than people with driver's liscences in this country...

Arnold wins! - Undertow - 9th October 2003

Probably, but I doubt they bought them because they knew the highway was being expanded.

Well no, but when you widen the highway it'll help traffic for a while, but then more people will be driving on it again and it'll just clog up again in short order...

Arnold wins! - Weltall - 9th October 2003

Well no, but when you widen the highway it'll help traffic for a while, but then more people will be driving on it again and it'll just clog up again in short order...

Now THAT'S sound logic. While we're at it, doctors should no longer perform heart bypass surgeries on patients, because they'll all die from something else eventually anyway. Why waste the time?

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Oh, that sure makes sense as a comparison... Rolleyes

If you don't have surgery on a heart patient they will die right then. Its not the same with roads...

Now, in some cases widening well might be sensible, if the road is old, always clogged, and nothing else could be done... but its just not needed as much as we do it. There are plenty of things to try before resorting to widening... because widening doesn't solve the problem. Just like a person who has a heart attack because of living unhealthily... if they don't change, it'll happen again! Roads don't change when you widen them, it just gives people one more lane to clog up... without a change in behavior its merely a short-term fix. Not so great.

Oh, that sure makes sense as a comparison... Rolleyes

If you don't have surgery on a heart patient they will die right then. Its not the same with roads...

Now, in some cases widening well might be sensible, if the road is old, always clogged, and nothing else could be done... but its just not needed as much as we do it. There are plenty of things to try before resorting to widening... because widening doesn't solve the problem. Just like a person who has a heart attack because of living unhealthily... if they don't change, it'll happen again! Roads don't change when you widen them, it just gives people one more lane to clog up... without a change in behavior its merely a short-term fix. Not so great.

Alright, professor. What alternatives to widening an existing road would help a clogging traffic situation?

This ought to be good.

(Also, for the record, bypass surgeries often times are done before it becomes an immediate risk to a person's life. Thus, it makes a great comparison, especially when you're basically saying we shouldn't fix it because it will break again anyway.)

Arnold wins! - Laser Link - 9th October 2003

ASM, yes, I lived in California and I go back about once a year. Have you ever been to California, or does your experience end at tv shows and movies? Traffic in LA can be bad at times, but that's really just LA. And my whole point was that not everyone in California is rich. and it frustrates me when people complain about the rich Californians.

Quote:Originally posted by Laser Link
ASM, yes, I lived in California and I go back about once a year. Have you ever been to California, or does your experience end at tv shows and movies? Traffic in LA can be bad at times, but that's really just LA. And my whole point was that not everyone in California is rich. and it frustrates me when people complain about the rich Californians.

Traffic is bad everywhere. Try driving 1500 miles of Interstate 95.

Arnold wins! - Fittisize - 9th October 2003

Highway 2 from Red Deer (66,000 people) to Edmonton (950,000 people) is hardly ever bad. And those are two of Alberta's largest cities.

Arnold wins! - Dark Jaguar - 9th October 2003

When every house seems to have a car for every single person IN the house, it's not hard to see how traffic can be bad. Take a look at some of the neighborhoods around here. It's like drive ways and car holes don't even exist any more. There's just barely enough room to drive right along the center between the long long rows of people parked in the street, and this isn't just Independence Day or local fair type of parking stuff (that's MUCH worse these days), this is year round now! It's really terrible. However, used cars are so cheap now that it's not much of a surprise that everyone can get one. That's it! Get me Robo and a vat of chocolate cocoa! I'm inventing a telepod if it takes me all night!

I-95 in Maine is fine except for about ten days in midsummer... and it was pretty much the same before they widened it to Portland...

Quote:Alright, professor. What alternatives to widening an existing road would help a clogging traffic situation?

This ought to be good.

(Also, for the record, bypass surgeries often times are done before it becomes an immediate risk to a person's life. Thus, it makes a great comparison, especially when you're basically saying we shouldn't fix it because it will break again anyway.)

What alternatives are there to widening? Well... I don't know. We can't do much with this nation's car culture. Still... widening is a quick-fix solution that will not lead to any long-term help. It will lessen traffic for a while, sure, but like coronary bypass surgery if the person doesn't change they'll be back! That road will just clog again because there is now more space for people to clog... our habits haven't changed so people will just clog three lanes instead of four or four instead of five. Sure, it'll help for few years... but then the highway people will be back, saying they need more lanes. Its a viscious cycle...

But what can be done? I really don't know. Not with our nation's culture the way it is... well there are SOME things. For one big cities should all build effective public transportation systems, including subways. Most of the new cities don't have public transporation and people drive everywhere... we will get nowhere until that can be cut into like it is to some extent in some parts of the country. I don't think we can suddenly make people not drive or take the bus places or something... that is unrealistic. But there are things we can do that would help...

Arnold wins! - alien space marine - 10th April 2004

Quote:ASM, yes, I lived in California and I go back about once a year. Have you ever been to California, or does your experience end at tv shows and movies? Traffic in LA can be bad at times, but that's really just LA. And my whole point was that not everyone in California is rich. and it frustrates me when people complain about the rich Californians.

My uncle lives in laguna beach,Ive been in california atleast 6-7 times on two week long trips, last time I went was for my uncles wedding. Sure you probably know more then me. I tend to visit every 2 years.

LA traffic is bad for what I am used too, Ive never been to the hole state, But I watched the local tv and they had this hole debate over what to do about the traffic congestion and the growing population,They wanted high speed bullet trains.