Tendo City
RIP, Dan Snyder - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: RIP, Dan Snyder (/showthread.php?tid=1133)

RIP, Dan Snyder - Fittisize - 5th October 2003

Center for the Atlanta Thrashers, who was in a car crash with Dany Heatly (2001 Rookie of the year, last season's All-Star MVP), suffered a fractured skull, went into a coma, and passed away. He was only 25.

Quote:ATLANTA (Ticker) - Atlanta Thrashers center Dan Snyder died Sunday night, six days after suffering massive brain injuries in a one-car accident involving All-Star teammate Dany Heatley.

Snyder, 25, never regained consciousness after the accident, which occurred late Monday night in Atlanta's Buckhead section. According to police, he was a passenger in a Ferrari driven by Heatley that struck a pillar near a condominium complex.

Snyder underwent surgery late Monday night at Grady Memorial Hospital to repair a depressed skull fracture.

"We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Dan Snyder," the Thrashers said in a statement. "Dan was a teammate and friend to all of us. We feel a tremendous amount of pain as an organization and extend our deepest sympathies to his family."

Yeesh, and Heatley (who, as any person who knows about hockey, has the potential to be the best player in the league, along with linemate Ilya Kovalchuk) has a broken jaw and massive knee and shoulder injuries(can he play next season? I hope). I wonder how Heatley will be accepeted by the Thrashers now, and how the Thrashers will do this season after the loss of a player? I can only imagine.

RIP, Dan Snyder - A Black Falcon - 5th October 2003

Before he goes to play hockey he'll have to deal with the little vehicular homicide charge, I think... up to 15 years in prison if convicted...

RIP, Dan Snyder - Weltall - 6th October 2003

You got me so excited, I thought the owner of the Redskins died. :(

RIP, Dan Snyder - Fittisize - 6th October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Before he goes to play hockey he'll have to deal with the little vehicular homicide charge, I think... up to 15 years in prison if convicted...

Yeah...it's been a pretty big news topic up here.

I don't think he'll face 15 years in prison, but wreckless driving charges probably. Like, I don't think he MEANT to smash up a 200 and some grand Ferrari and kill one of his good friends and teammates, oh and put a great risk to ending his own hockey career and life.

RIP, Dan Snyder - A Black Falcon - 7th October 2003

I believe homicide means you didn't mean to...

RIP, Dan Snyder - Fittisize - 7th October 2003

No...I believe homicide means an act of murder.

Anyways, Edmonton Oilers coach Craig McTavish was also charged with the same thing as Heatly did, and he spent 6 or 8 months in prison...I can't remember but he was back in due time.

I think involuntary manslaughter is when you dind't mean to. But I'm not too sure.

Maybe that's it... but he'd better hope that he wasn't drunk. That would make the charge a lot worse. Yeah, 15 years is a lot and more than he probably will get... but still, it'll hurt his career quite a lot I'm sure.

RIP, Dan Snyder - Fittisize - 7th October 2003

They say he wasn't drunk...I believe it too. But why would they be driving 130 km/h in a city like Atlanta? My guess is he was testing his new Ferrari. I dunno.

Quote:DULUTH, Ga. (AP) - Atlanta Thrashers coach Bob Hartley called the team's practice ice a sanctuary, so it was fitting the players kneeled for a prayer Tuesday after their first practice since centre Dan Snyder died.

"It's a situation you never want to come across," centre Marc Savard said. "It's tough. It's in the back of your mind with every little thing you do."

Snyder died Sunday night of injuries he sustained in a Sept. 29 car crash in which teammate Dany Heatley was driving. Heatley, who was also injured, was charged with vehicular homicide.

With the encouragement of Snyder's family, the Thrashers will play their season opener Thursday night at home against Columbus. The team then will fly to Canada for Snyder's funeral in Elmira, Ont., on Friday.

A judge ruled Tuesday that Heatley, who remains free on $50,000 US bail, would be allowed to travel for the funeral. Heatley's lawyer Ed Garland says his client is "an emotional wreck" and is grieving Snyder's death.

Prosecutors said the vehicular homicide charge, which carries a sentence of three to 15 years, was based on a preliminary finding that Heatley was driving recklessly.

Heatley suffered a broken jaw and a serious knee injury in the accident. He underwent reconstructive knee surgery Tuesday faces nine months to a year of rehabilitation.

Nameplates for Snyder and Heatley were still on their lockers Tuesday.

Savard promised to win that first game for Snyder, but the coach said hockey is not the priority this week.

"We are definitely facing the ultimate adversity, and we have to face it as a team," Hartley said. "The game now is not about winning. It's about taking care of our family. This is basically our sanctuary right now. Going on the ice is what we enjoy the most."

Captain Shawn McEachern, who will assume Heatley's spot on the first line, said the players needed to be with their teammates.

"It feels good to be with the guys, to tell the truth, and do what we do," McEachern said.

Goalie Byron Dafoe said the group prayer Tuesday would not be the last.

"It was just all of us getting together with our thoughts and prayers for Dan," Dafoe said. "That's what it's going to be every time we get on the ice."

Team officials were still discussing how Snyder will be honoured Thursday night. Players likely will wear a patch with Snyder's initials or his No. 37.

There also will be a moment of silence before the game.

"It's bringing guys closer together, knowing he's there with us," Savard said. "He's looking over us."

Here's what the team will be wearing on their helmets: (15 for Heatly, 37 fo Snyder)

This almost made the big issue of the upcoming strike go away for a while...