Tendo City
Halo PC - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Halo PC (/showthread.php?tid=1132)

Pages: 1 2

Halo PC - Dark Lord Neo - 5th October 2003

Does anyone else have it?
I think it would be fun to have a TC multiplayer match

Halo PC - Dark Jaguar - 5th October 2003

While I am fully aware the PC version is superior to the XBox version (though controls are debatable, AND I'M LEAVING IT AT THAT DON'T START ANYTHING ABF AND OB1), I already have that game once over and won't be getting it again. Multiplayer may have some extra stuff, but I'll wait for Halo 2 to get that and then some. Single player as far as I can tell still sucks, so I'm not getting two copies of suck in that regard. Besides, I can play online with the XBox version anyway and you'd be the only person I know who has the PC version anyway.

Ever seen the Master Chief without the cyber suit? I tell ya, if I woke up looking like that, I'd just run towards the nearest living thing, and kill it.

Halo PC - Great Rumbler - 5th October 2003

I already have the Xbox version and my comp probably couldn't handle it anyway.

Halo PC - A Black Falcon - 5th October 2003

The PC version has vastly better aiming accuracy since it uses a mouse. The reviews do say that this makes the game a bit easy, though, since it wasn't adjusted from the consoles... but the only changes in the game are more multiplayer maps and stuff and the removal of the cooperative mode. Probably not worth getting if you already have it for X-Box, I'd think... unless you're a big fan. :)

Oh... speaking of new games, I went to the mall today. Went in with $48 and left with $6, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, and Mischief Makers for N64. :)

Halo PC - Great Rumbler - 5th October 2003

Quote:The PC version has vastly better aiming accuracy since it uses a mouse.

Let's not start that again...

Quote:Mischief Makers for N64.

Ah, Mischief Makers, a fine game indeed.

I didn't talk about better or worse. I just stated a fact. There's a difference there...

Oh, and Mischief Makers is a pretty good game... when I saw it ($10...) I knew I had to get it. Don't think I've seen it for sale used before... and its one of the other very few sidescrollers on the N64, and a Treasure game... how could I resist? :)

I often seem to end up getting N64 games when I go to the mall... probably because so many good ones are $15 and under and I never have much money... I saw a bunch I'd like to get, but that was definitely #1. Second would have been Extreme-G... $5, but I really only needed one N64 game.

I need to get Mischief Makers, but sadly I can only find the frickin' Japanese version! Don't get me wrong, I'm aware there's likely not much heavy reading involved, but still I'd like to be able to read what is there. I'm not sure if this is just a local thing or not, but rental store or used game store, all they have are Japanese versions of that game around here.

How odd... its not a super text-heavy game, but there is a story and it definitely helps to be able to read the controls... or read a FAQ... to figure out how to play. Its somewhat unique. :)

Oh, and isn't it kind of a pain to get your system to run Japanese games? You need that special screwdriver that opens the N64...

Now I must find Goemon's Great Adventure... sure, I beat it, but I want to own it! It was great... I'd get Mystical Ninja too if I ever saw it...

Though of course the #1 game I would always buy on sight, but bet I'll never see, is Ogre Battle 64.

Actually, a good number of the rental store versions at least have been... altered... with a screwdriver or something...

I'm sure I'll find a US version eventually though.

Halo PC - OB1 - 6th October 2003

Halo PC is actually inferior to the X-Box version because they left out the single best mode of the game: co-op. That and you'll need a super-powerful PC to run the game at a decent resolution and a decent framerate, which is completely ridiculous considering how the game wasn't even that great looking when it came out on the X-Box two years ago. Bad port.

Halo PC - Great Rumbler - 6th October 2003

It's actually not that hard to get a Japanese N64 cart to work on an American system. Just cut off the little notches on the back and it'll fit.

I did that with a Japanese Sonic cart for my Genesis. It looked pretty pathetic after I butchered it, but at least it worked! :D

I have a Japanese baseball game [import] and it came pre-cut. It looks crude, but it works okay.

Halo PC - Dark Jaguar - 6th October 2003

You thought co-op was good? Co-op for me just meant TWO people got bored with the repetition instead of one. Multi is certainly the greatest aspect for most people I know.

I thought the single-player was boring, but actually found the co-op mode to be very fun. My dad and I played through the entire game.

Yeah, I know there are some who really seem to enjoy it. That just hasn't been the case with me or any of my friends. I mean, it's still a game played among friends and such. Generally it's very hard to screw that up and make it boring because most of the fun is on the controller end if you catch my drift.

However, generally my friends and relatives would rather "kill all humans" than trek through the game's single player mode with a friend. They just get bored really quickly and don't make much of an attempt to get into the teamwork spirit of it. Then again, I too found single player boring even with friends so I couldn't really blame them. We just stick with the one reason most everyone I know gets the game, for multiplayer.

Hey don't get me wrong-- I really don't like Halo that much at all. However, the only part that I enjoyed for a little while was co-op. The regular deathmatch is alright, but really sucks in comparison to the best PC FPS's. Why play Halo multi when I could be playing Battlefield instead?

For me the only reason is "because my friends suck and don't have that game yet", well except you. We should play against each other some time. I must warn you though that I REALLY suck at Battlefield. Perfect Dark also blows Halo away in multi if you ask me. Anyway, Halo is a game pretty much everyone I know has a copy of, so when we get together, we play that. It's not like the multiplayer sucks or anything. It's got a decent handful of various modes and decent customization, and an average number of weapons. The vehicles are also nice as well as the whole limited weapons thing to kinda give people who just spawned a chance (though Battlefield wins there of course, but I explained the prob with that...). Basically, Halo is good enough for the whole interaction with friends thing to really be fun.

I'll say this though. My main circle of friends has finally gotten sick of Halo (well, I did a few weeks before them but anyway...), and as such that game remains unplayed. SC2 is the thing we all play now.

PD's multi is so great because of the insane amount of customization allowed. No other FPS has as many customization options as PD has. I love using smart slow-mo and one-shot kills. I used to play like that all of the time. It also helps with the bad framerate. :D

Frame rate's not that bad unless you set off about a gazillion bombs, like I ALWAYS do, because that's how it happened to me!

PD in my humble opinion is the best FPS I ever played for either PC or console, except for it's lack of online play and a map builder (and the explosive slowdown). Yes, I prefer it to Time Splitters 2. That game just didn't quite compare. Thing about TS2 is they tried too hard and it shows. Even if Perfect Dark Zero was just a graphically enhanced port of PD64 with online play and a map builder, I'd snatch it instantly. Great thing though is it's a whole new game on top of it being PD. It's not just the customization (and yes, smart slo mo is great, SO much better than standard slo mo because smart gives ya the speed right when it gets boring, which is when no one's around to make things all matrixy), it's the awesome weapons, the cool maps (I don't care what anyone says, some of those PD maps totally owned the GE maps, like that one in the huge cavern with the floating moving platform and such... I can't remember any of their names....), and the various gameplay modes. All I can hope for is they totally make it far and beyond even the coolness of this.

I'm hoping for the ability to customize weapons to the point where you can say whether or not doubles are allowed, whether or not a weapon will respawn (meaning you can have just one farsight and no one else can have one until they kill the guy who got it first), add in limited lives (the one thing they removed from the GE engine...), and most importantly, be able to turn off certain weapon modes on any weapon. That way, a mine might function JUST as a detector, or more importantly, you can have proximity mines and disable their detectors.

Well, I better stop now. That game won't be out until the XBox 2 is out, so no point in getting all worked up about it.

Unless you only played two-player multi the framerate was crap.

Now let's not start this again. I had no prob with 4 people and 8 sims running around. Things clipped along well enough for me. It was better than GE at any rate, which couldn't handle more than 2 in some of it's levels at all. We already decided there's nothing further here than personal opinion on the whole thing.

Anyway...

So, who's interested in Halo 2? I myself will end up getting it purely because everyone else I know is. Peer pressure? Kinda. It's because it's the only FPS I know they will also have so I can play against them with it, as opposed to playing against total strangers (or worse, you people...).

I'll probably get Halo 2 since it seems like it's going to be a lot better than the first.

Then you have no problem with crap framerates, DJ. Nothing wrong with that. 4 players with 8 bots is insanely slow, and not even ABF could handle such a framerate. ABF, think XG2 for the N64 but ten times as bad.

Halo PC - The Former DMiller - 6th October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Though of course the #1 game I would always buy on sight, but bet I'll never see, is Ogre Battle 64.

I saw Ogre Battle at Amazon actually. It is about $35 used, though, and I'm sure you don't want to pay that much. It's probably my favorite N64 game, though, so I'd say any price is worth it.

OB1: Let's not start that again.

DMiller: I've heard good things, but I have no idea which of the Ogre Battle games I should get first. Anyone played any of them other than "Person of Lordly Calibur"? I did see it at Vintage Stock for $25, which is cheaper than eBay at least.

Halo PC - The Former DMiller - 7th October 2003

I played the SNES game, March of the Black Queen, but that was only after I had played the N64 game so I didn't enjoy it much. I imagine you'd like the SNES game better if you play it before the N64 game.

Halo PC - Private Hudson - 7th October 2003

Halo 2 and Killzone are really the only FPS's I'm looking forward to at the moment. I guess Killzone has more hype for me at the moment, perhaps because of the unknown factor. It seems to be taking all the good bits from Halo and Brute Force and, reportedly, doing it right.

Perhaps whatever Free Radicals come up with next will be worth a look. I'm hoping they ditch the whole TimeSplitters idea, and work on a more 'serious' FPS. TS3 would still be nice, though. :)

Halo PC - A Black Falcon - 7th October 2003

I remember the one time I saw a used copy of Mega Man 4 for GB it was $40... and the one time I saw MM3-GB it was $35. Just too much, even for games that good... though if it'd been MM5 for GB I well might have spent that much. :)

As for Ogre Battle 64... if I see it in a store and have the money I'd get it. Online? Too much of a hassle...

And as for framerates... all we need to do is agree again that OB1's standards for good framerates are far, far higher than the average person's. I have PD, but I don't think I've ever played 4 players with 8 bots... don't think I've played more than 3 players, actually.

Halo PC - OB1 - 7th October 2003

Quote:Perhaps whatever Free Radicals come up with next will be worth a look. I'm hoping they ditch the whole TimeSplitters idea, and work on a more 'serious' FPS. TS3 would still be nice, though.

Give them a break. They made TS2 is less than a year. Same goes for TS1. If they take half the amount of time to work on TS3 that Rare worked on PD then we'd have one of the best FPS's ever, methinks.

And DJ, it's perfectly fine that you found PD's multiplayer framerate acceptable, but for most of us it was unbearable in four-player mode with any bots.

Quote:And as for framerates... all we need to do is agree again that OB1's standards for good framerates are far, far higher than the average person's. I have PD, but I don't think I've ever played 4 players with 8 bots... don't think I've played more than 3 players, actually.

This coming from the person who whined about XG2's multiplayer framerate. Rolleyes You hypocrite. XG2 has nothing on PD when it comes to choppy multiplayer framerates. Try playing four player mode with eight bots and you'll see what I mean.

XG2 multiplayer? Huh? I've never even played XG2 in multiplayer mode... and haven't played the N64 version much, actually. Just enough to know that it does have framerate issues.

Erm

You have complained about XG2's framerate several times in the past. Single player or multiplayer, whichever. The N64 version.

Yeah, the N64 one has a poor framerate... makes playing it hard, since its a fast game where bad framerates can kill you... unlike some genres where occasional bad framerates aren't as bad.

FPS's running at 5-20 fps is pretty damn bad.

Halo PC - alien space marine - 7th October 2003

I just played halo for the first time today!

I love that tank!

I find it easier to simpily bunt my enemies then shoot them.

Halo PC - Great Rumbler - 7th October 2003

Yes, hitting guys with the gun is significantly more fun than just shooting them.

Its really hard. I played it a few times... I did really bad. Even worse than I usually do at FPSes... of course, that's not saying a lot. :)

And I don't remember Perfect Dark ever being anywhere near 5 fps. No way.

The best example of slowdown I can think of? Two player Rush 2049. Track six.

Or three or four player Rush 2049 in stunt mode...

Or is the Dreamcast version better?

Quote:I have PD, but I don't think I've ever played 4 players with 8 bots... don't think I've played more than 3 players, actually.

You're making this easier for me than Darunia has, ABF. You admitted that you've never played four-player PD yet you proclaim that "And I don't remember Perfect Dark ever being anywhere near 5 fps. No way."

Gee, maybe that's because you never played four-player mode! :bang:

PD in four player mode with eight bots is slower than Rush's multi.

Then it would be slow, but not unplayable... I know some people complained about the framerates in, for instance, PD's co-op and counter-op modes (ones I have played), and parts of the single player... never noticed anything...

Halo PC - alien space marine - 8th October 2003

I find Halo does slow down a little bit not very much but enough to notice.

Halo is better then Goldeneye but I find that GE was still more fun.

Halo PC - Dark Jaguar - 8th October 2003

Um, so you say GE was more fun than Halo, but Halo is still better? How does THAT work? The game that's more fun wins the "better" contest!

PD beats GE all over this country though :D.

Halo PC - A Black Falcon - 8th October 2003

I agree that PD is better than GE, but not many others seem to think that way... I don't know why. Nostalgia?

I'd say many others DO think that way, many of them here. However, I know how you could get that impression going around naustalgia sites where people talk about the "good old days" and finding everyone dissing greatly upon PD. I know a few TC members (who sadly don't come around any more) think GE was the better game for some reason. They cite better level design, though personally I disagree.

In any case, PD became a million seller pretty quickly after it was released, even in Japan, so that shows it certainly had a lot of popularity.

Halo PC - The Former DMiller - 8th October 2003

The reason I liked GE better than PD was because GE was a much simpler game, and was less like PC FPSers. Goldeneye was the game to play my freshman year of college, and even people who had never played the game before got into it. PD wasn't like that. I enjoyed PD, but no one really enjoyed it enough to play multiplayer. However, I didn't really enjoy the multiplayer much when people did play it with me because it felt like I was playing a PC FPS. You died a few seconds after first getting shot in the game. There were no "straffing battles" in PD. Had I rented PD before I bought it I probably wouldn't have ended up buying the game. The only reason I bought it was because it was the successor to GE and I thought I'd enjoy it.

Maybe you played it wrong :D, because I ended up in a lot of strafing battles. If you died so quickly, you could have turned up the health or something (though I found the health fine where it was). Maybe it was just the people you played it with. Eh, anyway I ended up in a lot of cool things. I have more PD battle stories than GE ones now, all hilarious.

Why, I remember a time when I was playing stationary king o' the hill in the temple against a team of sims with a friend. We had the thing covered and mined the walls outside the hill and had a turret or two and some weapons. I had a rocket launcher too (boom boom, yes yes) :D. Anyway, so we were racking up points since they just couldn't get in. Then, I happened to accidently target my friend with a rocket... I fired it moving backwards so it ended up travelling kinda slow, but still my friend ened up running around the edge of that small room with a rocket following close behind. Eventually, I end up getting too close to this chase and see it heading towards me, so I end up running around in the same circle. I was all like "eeeek! exploding death!". So, we ended up screaming and running for a good few minutes. Suddenly, a sim runs into the room (they managed to destroy the mines it would seem, the way sims normally destroy them :evil: ). This sim picked just the wrong time to come in, because the very entrance it ran into was the one that rocket was passing by. BOOM! Of course, it all worked out EXACTLY as I planned it :D.

Stuff like that couldn't happen in PD :D. I'm not sure what you mean by simpler game. It didn't have nearly as many options, but you can just ignore those options and use premade games just like in GE. The game PLAYS exactly like GE, so I don't see why PD isn't a pick up and play game (friends who never played it easily got into it, just like with GE). They only need to learn one more new move, the ability to switch gun functions, and they can go on. The other stuff, like the quick menu and so on, are fully optional and can just be ignored so you can instead just use the GE style of switching weapons.

Eh, oh well... To each their own I suppose. To me, PD just totally ownzered GE because it was everything GE had and a giant thing full of "more", and other non-corporeal concepts like that too. To you, it was.... sorry I have a hard time seeing why any aspect of PD was really a problem... you can just ignore all the extras and play GE style...

I agree with Dmiller GE didnt feel like a pc FPS it felt a little simpiler.

Halo isnt that dificult to control but it requires alot more skill and experience to enjoy.

The only thing that makes Halo better is the vehicles and more variety in multiplayer options. The sniper is a little better to use in Halo, The Graphics and animation is better of course.

Just somthing wierd that seems that GE was still more fun.

Perfect dark I never played enough to compare but it didnt captivate me like goldeneye did.

Halo PC - OB1 - 8th October 2003

I think a lot of people were turned off by PD's extreme customization in multiplayer. When I first got the game I brought over a long-time GE fan that I knew and he simple couldn't stand it because of the complex menus and near-unlimited options in the game. It's better than GE in every possible way, but some people just couldn't stand all of the options available. It's so weird.

Quote:Then it would be slow, but not unplayable... I know some people complained about the framerates in, for instance, PD's co-op and counter-op modes (ones I have played), and parts of the single player... never noticed anything...

Even PD's co-op wasn't nearly as slow as four-player mode with eight bots. Not even close. But that was slow, much slower than Rush 2049 (N64) or XG2.

that was bassically what scared me of Perfect dark was the overwhelming amount of menu options when you just want to go in and shoot it up fast.

When you just want to go in and shoot it up fast, as you say, use "quick play". It has a large list of premade games. Just have all the people you want to play pop in and pick a pre-made scenario.