Tendo City
Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. (/showthread.php?tid=1127)

Pages: 1 2

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Great Rumbler - 2nd October 2003

Quote:The GameCube price cut to $99.99 last week has created a boom in sales. So far it is working very well, and we have yet to get closer to the Holidays, when a lot of people hold off to get a game console. Nintendo says sales rates of GameCube have more than quadrupled since the price reduction.

"Clearly, this move is what game players desired, and also what our retail partners wanted," says George Harrison, senior vice president, marketing and corporate communications, Nintendo of America. "We're already receiving requests for additional shipments of Nintendo GameCube systems between now and the holidays."

"The price cut is working great!" stated Dan DeMatteo, president, GameStop Corp. "Our sales of Nintendo GameCube have increased more than fourfold. We are currently increasing our shipment requests for the system throughout the holidays."

The cut seems to be doing pretty good short term, but I doubt it will have much long term effect.

N-Philes

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Nintendarse - 2nd October 2003

If you're looking for concrete numbers, the Gamecube sold through 61,000 systems this week and 15,000 last week.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - A Black Falcon - 2nd October 2003

Great... though, I agree that it'll probably be just a short-term gain. Once Nintendo's TV ads die down again they'll start dropping... though, it must be admitted that having a $80 gap between them and the PS2/X-Box is pretty large. Might help for a while since Sony/MS don't look to drop prices soon... we hope...

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Great Rumbler - 2nd October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Nintendarse
If you're looking for concrete numbers, the Gamecube sold through 61,000 systems this week and 15,000 last week.

Wow! That's a pretty big jump! I just hope sales like that continue for a while.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Dark Jaguar - 2nd October 2003

Might actually put Nintendo ahead of MS for a bit, since MS is and for the most part has been only marginally ahead of N. Face it, people like to save money. It's not just something in the water.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - A Black Falcon - 2nd October 2003

Yeah... and $80 is a HUGE difference.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - EdenMaster - 3rd October 2003

Wow! When you quadruple your sales in a week, I think they're more than making up for the monetary loss of $50 per console.

View the numbers and feel smart!

For 15,000 consoles at $150 each, the grand total is $2,250,000
For 61,000 consoles at $100 each, the grand total is $6,100,000

They made money by bringing in less! Sweet irony!

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Dark Jaguar - 3rd October 2003

DID they? They are still selling the systems for less than it costs to make them. They are still loosing money for each unit sold. However, it's the user base that's important.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - OB1 - 3rd October 2003

I don't think Nintendo is losing money for each GC they sell like MS and Sony are with their respective systems. Nintendo did everything they could to make the GC extremely cheap to make, and I'd be willing to bet that they're breaking even with this price.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - A Black Falcon - 3rd October 2003

The only question is if they're still making money off sales of the Cube at this low price...

Well that doesn't matter too much. All that matters is that they sell more cubes in order to gain a larger user base and sell more software. Too bad almost all of the big holiday games have been delayed. :S

Its not that bad, OB1! Sure the lineup isn't as good as it could be but its decent... Rebel Strike, Mario Kart, maybe 1080, and plenty of others (Wario Ware Cube, etc) are coming out, and then FF: Crystal Chronicles and Metal Gear Twin Snakes in early '03...

I'm talking about the pre-Christmas rush sales. We have Rebel Strike, Mario Kart, and 1080 (which is bound to be crushed by SSX3). I doubt Wario Ware will make it out in the U.S. this year. So Nintendo basically just has two big exclusive Holiday '03 titles.

What do the other guys have that will crush those games? Is Halo 2 coming out this year?

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - The Former DMiller - 3rd October 2003

That's what I've been thinking ABF. None of the three consoles really have blockbusters coming out for the holidays. I can't think of any games comng out before December that would really be thought of as "killer-apps." Maybe Rebel Strike, but not much else.

Exactly. OB1, you've been complaining so much that Nintendo's holiday lineup is so bad... but its just not! Mario Kart and Rogue Squadron as the headliners? That's a pretty good pair of top games... and the competition doesn't exactly have huge blockbusters coming out either. So we should be fine.

And also... you complain so much about the lack of EAD games, but I'd rather go by exclusives. And exclusives-wise the season looks like it'll be fine...

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Great Rumbler - 3rd October 2003

Besides those games there's also Viewtiful Joe and Kirby's Air Ride, which did pretty good in Japan.

Yeah, everyone's big name games that were supposed to dominate Christmas are delayed. Fable, FFCC, and... wait actually Sony has something, or has FFX-2 been delayed past Christmas too?

It has two big exclusives, that's it. Now they may be two really cool exclusives, but Nintendo is trailing behind Sony and MS right now so they need all of the help they can get. It doesn't matter if Sony and MS don't have a better winter '03 lineup because they're not #3. Nintendo is, so they have to go even further than the competition. Losing MGS TS, Pikmin 2, and FF CC was a huge loss.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Great Rumbler - 3rd October 2003

Yeah, pushing those games into next year didn't help, but I still think they're going to have a good holiday.

Yeah. You forget that most casuals don't actually own the huge title games that are already out (a lot of them waiting for Christmas to get them), so I imagine it'll still be a great season even without BRAND new games for other must have games like SC2, KOTOR, Wind Waker, Xenosaga, and so on, purely because of the number of people who just plain lack those games. Not everyone gets the big name games a week after they come out, like us (I still don't have KOTOR, and may end up getting Neverwinter Nights first, I've been reading too much about that game despite ABF, and PA loves it too, plus I wanna make my own module for it where alignment actually affects the flow of the quest, I gots the demo and for the first time I can actually see the fun of the click-on-guy-until-it-dies style of RPG, in that it's the preparation that makes it so much fun more than the combat itself, like Pokémon).

KOTOR is a hundred times better than NWN. Really!

Well, I have played a little KOTOR you know. Couldn't take the save file I made with me, BECAUSE IT'S BIGGER THAN A WHOLE MEMORY CARD, but enjoyed it a bit. Still, I think I'd rather get NWN first because it's multiplayer and you can make your own levels. That is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER MADE BY HUMANS, the ability to make one's own worlds with events and everything. Plus, I'll certainly get JE eventually. I may just skip the one in the middle, that's all. MAY of course, I might end up getting KOTOR anyway.

That would be like skipping Link's Awaikening because you plan on buying A Link to the Past.

Except I love Zelda a whole lot. I can't buy EVERYTHING you know. I almost skipped Goldeneye for instance. I face up to the realization that I have already and will in the future miss out on a LOT of good games. I'm just making up my mind what games in a genre I want more than the rest. It's not like I don't WANT it. It's that I can't "just buy it" because that would be irresponsible when I can't afford to! Plus, by the time I can, something else I want more will be out. I may just as well assume I'll miss out on it. That's all.

Do you have a job?

Job does not equal infinite cash! You seem to be under the impression that just having a job means you can buy everything you want whenever you want.

Well that depends on how much you make and how much your monthly payments are.

I think I already explained that I don't have enough to buy whatever I want whenever I want. Most people don't. You don't seem to understand what "limited funds" even means. I mean, what are ya rich or something? Is it that hard to imagine what it's like to want a game but simply not be able to afford it, and perhaps have to even *gasp* make a choice between two, knowing that in the future you may even have to make that choice again, and again?

Cranky now, are we? I was just wondering if you work.

Hmm, and I notice I never actually answered your questions...

No I'm not cranky, but every single time you ask that question to anyone else (like ABF for instance) your whole point seems to be something like "if you had a job you would have infinite cash" or something like that, that's all. I was just wondering if you were rich.

Quote:Besides those games there's also Viewtiful Joe and Kirby's Air Ride, which did pretty good in Japan.

Yes, Viewtiful Joe... though I'm not so sure about the mass-market appeal of that game... I'd love it if it was successful but wouldn't really expect it.

Quote: Yeah. You forget that most casuals don't actually own the huge title games that are already out (a lot of them waiting for Christmas to get them), so I imagine it'll still be a great season even without BRAND new games for other must have games like SC2, KOTOR, Wind Waker, Xenosaga, and so on, purely because of the number of people who just plain lack those games. Not everyone gets the big name games a week after they come out, like us (I still don't have KOTOR, and may end up getting Neverwinter Nights first, I've been reading too much about that game despite ABF, and PA loves it too, plus I wanna make my own module for it where alignment actually affects the flow of the quest, I gots the demo and for the first time I can actually see the fun of the click-on-guy-until-it-dies style of RPG, in that it's the preparation that makes it so much fun more than the combat itself, like Pokémon).

Good point. Only the richest gamers actually have ALL of the good games for the platforms they already own... I know that a lot of the games I get I get after they are marked down. :) There are a LOT of older games that I want... and well might get, since I don't particularly like to spend $50 on a single game very often.

Neverwinter Nights before KOTOR? I wouldn't.

Now, I don't have either game, and haven't played KOTOR at all and have only played NWN's demo. But I know what I liked... and while NWN is alright, its just not a great game. I really, really like party-based games best... this one is just you. And some mercs like Diablo 2... which are not exaclty a good replacement for a party. So that's a major minus... the Baldur's Gate battle system just doesn't work as well with one person. You end up doing a lot more hack-and-slash stuff...

Oh yeah, and its got an annoying combat system, unexciting graphics, and the world creation tools are, from all I have heard, very complex... learning the programming language is almost needed to make much. Well might be harder to use than its worth... It also has a poor single player campaign that, based on reviews, has a difficulty curve that is harder at the beginning of the game than once your get your character powerful... and a not so great story.

Though... NWN does have one plus. There are people who have made some good mods for it that add a lot to the game. Absolutely true... if I was to get it the mods would definitely be a big draw.

KOTOR just looks like it has a great implementation of Bioware/Black Isle-style D&D rules, set in Star Wars. How can you go wrong? :)

Unless, of course, like me you are waiting for the PC version.

Quote:No I'm not cranky, but every single time you ask that question to anyone else (like ABF for instance) your whole point seems to be something like "if you had a job you would have infinite cash" or something like that, that's all. I was just wondering if you were rich.

That's a good question... OB1 does seem to think a job is the solution to all money ills. It can be, but only the right job or the right situation... many people certainly don't meet those criteria.

And, of course, almost no one can actually get ALL the things they want.

Well from what I've played of both the demo and some KOTOR, both have the same party system. NWN does have a party, but you only control the main character directly. The others in your group you bark orders to. I get this from the summons I've added to my group as well as the one other guy who actually joins up with you in the demo. KOTOR does add the ability to switch between characters though, so you can at least decide who to directly control. That's certainly a plus. However, NWN doesn't seem like a solo game at all. There's that and the fact that most likely I'll be playing it online, where there certainly are parties and everyone in one is controlled by a human. That'll capture the D&D feel much better than just a bunch of people controlled by one person going it alone. As for single player again, from what I understand it gets to a point where for quite some time there's 6 people in your group and you switch characters in and out. Again though, it would be nice to actually directly control the other party members instead of barking orders to them. But, it is a party game in the end.

Oh, and the more powerful the module creation system, the better! So I have to almost learn the language to make a good module? For most that would be a turn off, but do you have any idea how much that actually makes me want it MORE? I'm freakin' drooling over here at the idea!

In any case, I managed to become a bioware fan without owning any of the games MAINLY due to a game that isn't even out yet. How's that for weird?

As for PC vs XBox version. Depending on how long I can go without getting KOTOR, I'll read reviews when the PC version comes out and see if the PC version is better than the XBox version or not. If it's about equal, I may end up getting the XBox version since that's the one it was originally made for. That's if I don't get it before the PC version comes out mind you.

Uh... no. In NWN you have other people but cannot control them except in the crudest possible way. They are just added muscle, nothing more, and add little true stratic depth. KOTOR, on the other hand, has a 3-member party with full pausable-realtime combat (though with its pacing its much, much more realistic in this game to play in realtime (as opposed to pausing all the time) than it was in BG) Yes, you can let the AI control the other people, or you can give them all orders and then have it carried out... that's a huge difference! You get more people... but not controllable. The only true party member you ever have in that game is you. Which stinks...

As for online, that probably is the best part, I'd think... but not having played it I wouldn't know for sure. But still... the very weak single player is a problem. As is the one-character party if you like more variety and depth in your combat...

And I DO. But, I could tell them what to do via a right click on them. That's not all that bad. I could tell them to cast a spell and they'd do that, which is what I need.

Still, as I said I'll be playing it online a lot more than not, which is certainly something I simply can't do at all with KOTOR. Sort of a mixed thing ain't it? Well, it's not like BioWare couldn't solve both problems via an upgrade, but I doubt they will.

DJ, DJ, DJ... have you actually PLAYED a Bioware/Black Isle D&D RPG for more than a few minuites? Baldur's Gate 1 or 2? Icewind Dale 1 or 2? Torment? KOTOR?

You just don't seem to fully get what BG-style D&D combat is like... NWN's NPC allies are barely controllable! They aren't to much of an extent that matters...

As for KOTOR, its different from BG since it speeds up the pace of combat and cuts the party size in half, but the same idea is there. Pausable realtime strategic combat... something NWN has, but not as well.

Sure, if you'd mostly play online it would be okay... but its just not the same as a great single player RPg, with depth and complexity (of gameplay and story). NWN doesn't really have that. KOTOR definitely does.

Quote:Hmm, and I notice I never actually answered your questions...

No I'm not cranky, but every single time you ask that question to anyone else (like ABF for instance) your whole point seems to be something like "if you had a job you would have infinite cash" or something like that, that's all. I was just wondering if you were rich.

Are you insane? If I were rich then I would be going to UAT right now.

I got the books, I enrolled into the school, but just weeks before I was supposed to start I found out that I can't because I don't have enough money. Now I have to find another school to study game design, and I have to save every single penny that I make to help me reach that goal. This week has been hell, my dreams have been practically crushed, and I've never had to deal with the harsh realization that I'm poor as hell as I have now. So don't try to tell me that I'm rich. I put away money to use for games that I want to get because that's my passion. Now I'm not going to be able to buy as many games anymore as I'd like to, but I'm stil going to find a way to get most of them, even if that means getting a second job and/or selling some of my stuff.

That stinks... :(

I am going to college (and now my sister is too... she's in her first year...), but I'm not paying myself (well some but not much), its mostly my parents and the various loans/scholarships and stuff that are...

I don't exactly have much money for games, obviously. Pretty much money I get at christmas and my birthday in August and maybe a few hundred dollars in the summer if I'm lucky... right now I have about $45 and its saved for when I can get to the mall and buy Warcraft III TFT... so I'm actually getting fewer games per year since going to college (since before going to college I got an allowance...). Oh well... but its probably the main reason that I have just 14 N64 games. Well, that and the fact that I bought a couple of N64 games since getting my Cube, including one at $50 (Paper Mario)...

My parents are too much in debt to help pay for my college, and since the government doesn't recognize debts when it comes to loans I can't get enough student loans. And I can't get alternative loans because none of my family can afford to co-sign for me.

It sucks, but I have to deal with it. I'll find another way.

So basically you're telling me to be less happy than I am with the combat? That's not a nice thing to do at all! Don't do that!

Besides, I know as well as anyone how great a single player adventure is, but yeesh I have about a billion of those. Now I want something multiplayer. (Sheesh, other people love this game, why can't you let me like it?)

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - A Black Falcon - 4th October 2003

No, I', saying that if you actually had much experience with real Bioware-style combat that you wouldn't be as happy with NWN's system...

Oh, in the NWN demo the need to constantly move the camera really, really annoyed me. I want a camera that I don't have to move... bad, Bioware!

And this isn't just a standard single-player adventure... its a PC-style RPG. As in, more open, less linear, more options and variation (will you be good or evil?), etc... you said yourself you don't have any of the Interplay or Bioware RPGs... do you have many (any?) other PC RPGs like that?

And OB1... that stinks. If your parents don't have money either then it would be hard to finance college...

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - OB1 - 6th October 2003

That's why I gotta rely on loans.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Weltall - 6th October 2003

I have to wonder, how much of a 'price cut' is it really when they took the 'free' game bundle out. The $99 Cubes are all basic systems again.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Dark Jaguar - 6th October 2003

They stopped doing the game deal? That puts a whole new twist on things. However, I prefer it this way if only because it gives people the freedom to pick whatever they want to spend that $50 on rather than having to choose from a small list.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - A Black Falcon - 7th October 2003

Hmm... I bet they make some free-game bundle that costs a little bit more.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Weltall - 7th October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Hmm... I bet they make some free-game bundle that costs a little bit more.

Not right now they aren't. All new shipped Cubes are naked Cubes. Essentially, they didn't cut the price of the Cube, they just took the game out and re-priced accordingly.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Great Rumbler - 7th October 2003

Apparently it was enough to convince people to buy it.

Quote:Updated 10/6/03: GCAdvanced has gotten their mitts on last week console sale numbers, and the Nintendo GameCube has smashed the competition with no regard for humanity! Take a look:

• GameCube :64,405
• PS2 :53,834
• Xbox :26,290

These numbers come from a NOA survey of 9 major retailers, and show the GC out selling the Xbox 2 to 1 and topping PS2 sales by over 10,000 units. With games like Viewtiful Joe and Mario Kart Double Dash just around the corner, we could expect even more weeks like last week in the near future.

N-Philes

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Dark Jaguar - 7th October 2003

Not arguing that, just pointing out that with this new information that they aren't packeging games with it any more, it becomes obvious that humans are idiots.

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - Great Rumbler - 7th October 2003

You mean you didn't know before now? Erm

Price cut launch GC sales through the roof. - A Black Falcon - 7th October 2003

No, not really. For that $50 you could get several of the cheaper games, after all...