Tendo City
Wohoo!!!! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Wohoo!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=1096)

Pages: 1 2 3

Wohoo!!!! - Weltall - 18th October 2003

Wohoo!

I don't care for baseball in general, and now I don't have to give a damn about the Series either!

To Boston: WTF.
To Chicago: The way you morons blew that series makes me wonder if Kordell Stewart isn't secretly playing for you guys in between Sundays.

Wohoo!!!! - Laser Link - 18th October 2003

Quote:"Sure, it hurts today, but in no time at all, they'll be on to the next thing," said Linda Cosby, a mother of two die-hard fans, ages 12 and 16. "By tomorrow, they'll be talking about, `Who should the Cubs keep? Who should they trade? When does spring training start?'"

That sounds like the typical non-sports fan's response. Especially like a mom. They'll get over it eventually, but when I was younger I'd be sick for a week when my team was eliminated in a big game. And it was even longer before I could think about next year. Adults bounce back a lot quicker (probably because we are so used to it), but I don't think most kids will be all happy the next day.

But that article totally reminded me of growing up and seeing the Pads, Chargers, and Broncos blow it every year. I never celebrated a single championship for one of my favorite teams until the Avs won in 96, and then the Broncos won twice in 98 and 99. Then they gutted the team when Elway retired and cut guys like Steve Atwater who were their leaders, and I haven't liked them much since.

Quote:Originally posted by Laser Link
That sounds like the typical non-sports fan's response. Especially like a mom. They'll get over it eventually, but when I was younger I'd be sick for a week when my team was eliminated in a big game. And it was even longer before I could think about next year. Adults bounce back a lot quicker (probably because we are so used to it), but I don't think most kids will be all happy the next day.

Tell me about it. There's a reason I made a Kordell Stewart reference before.

Wohoo!!!! - A Black Falcon - 18th October 2003

Uhh... that's some football player, I assume?

Oh, and that does sound just like a non-fan. They just don't get it... and that article sounds pretty similar to some I've been seeing in our papers. Those kids will get used to it as time passes, though... though the pain will never go away. Hey, it took me over a day to get over the loss Thursday... I was still pretty mad yesterday evening, as that post up there makes clear. :)

But at least we have just one person to blame, and it isn't a player. Stupid Grady Little! He ruined the season, the game... the most important game the Red Sox have played since game 7 in '86 and he blows it. Unforgivable.

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Uhh... that's some football player, I assume?

He's the quarterback who in 1997 led the Pittsburgh Steelers to the AFC Central title with an 11-5 record. He brought us all the way to the AFC championship game, playing very well all the way, but in that championship game played horribly despite home field advantage, tossing three interceptions in a loss to the Denver Broncos, who ended up winning the Super Bowl.

He's the quarterback who in 2001 led the Pittsburgh Steelers to the second-best record in the NFL, and the Steelers' second-best record in team history. He brought us all the way to the AFC championship game, playing very well all the way, but in that championship game played horribly despite home field advantage, tossing three interceptions in a loss to the New England Patriots, who ended up winning the Super Bowl.

He stunk in 2002 and we shipped his ass to Chicago, where he is a good reason the Bears suck a fat one right now. He choked in big games, and if not for that the Steelers could very well have won both championships.

Wohoo!!!! - Fittisize - 18th October 2003

It's way too easy to just blame one person...Stewart's obviously paid his dues as a player by leading the Steelers to all they did, and saying it's his fault that they didn't win those two championships is a cop-out. Football is a team game, one person doesn't make it.

I don't really like seeing the Oilers lose the first round of every playoff series since forever (well, it seems like it) to the Dallas Stars. Man that gets old fast. Two years was enough. And the Senators, last season in the Conference Final against the Devils where they came back 3-1 and lost the final game by one goal...that was pretty devestating. But the hurt only lasted like half a day, and it wasn't that bad. Because there is no point in taking these things too seriously because they are only games. But it might be different for me, because I'm usually too wrapped in my own hockey to dwell on the losses of other teams...

Quote:Originally posted by Fittisize
It's way too easy to just blame one person...Stewart's obviously paid his dues as a player by leading the Steelers to all they did, and saying it's his fault that they didn't win those two championships is a cop-out. Football is a team game, one person doesn't make it.

Yes, but in football, the QB is the catalyst. Your team usually will play only as good as its quarterback. Besides, it was his own mistakes that lost us those games.

It also bears noting that with the exception of those two years, Kordell at best was average. There was a two-year stretch where he was god-awful, a two-year stretch where we had losing records. Of course, back then we also didn't have any good recievers. Last year we had what was by far the best recieving tandem in the league and he still couldn't do anything. When you have Burress, Ward and Randle-El to throw to, you shouldn't have any trouble winning. If you do, it's the QB's fault, and that's why Steeler fans are getting so fed up with Tommy Maddox. He has the same set of recievers that he did so well with last year, and all three are playing well, but Maddox has been making some really bad throws and as such hasn't had a TD pass in weeks. And considering the recievers, that's inexcusable.

Wohoo!!!! - The Former DMiller - 18th October 2003

Well, Kordell is one of many reasons why the Bears suck this year. An offensive line that couldn't stop a 5 year-old girl from getting to the quarterback certainly doesn't help Stewart.

Anyway, the Yankees lost 3-2 tonight. It was a great game which I didn't think I was prepared to watch, but I toughed it out.

And what that mom said in the article is partly true. My friends and I are already talking about who the Cubs have under contract for next year, who they should resign, and what free agents they should pick up. However, for little kids this is their first Cubs disappointment. I don't remember '84, but I know '89 was hard for me to take so I imagine a lot of kids are pretty depressed.

Wohoo!!!! - Fittisize - 18th October 2003

Eh...I dunno, do you think that kids care enough about baseball these days to get hung up over a loss? Two or three years ago when I was the age of some of those kids in that article I know that me and friends wouldn't get too worked up over a loss/defeat/elimination of a team.

Ya know, the most dissapointed I've ever felt for a single loss (the 8 too many the Expos had this year was extremely dissapointing) was the gold medal game of the U-19 Women's World Cup in Edmonton, last summer. But I think that is because I was at the gold medal game, and a couple of the ones before it. And if Canada didn't win the gold in Salt Lake City at the Olympics in '02, well, then I can only imagine how depressed the entire of CANADA would have been.

Wohoo!!!! - Laser Link - 18th October 2003

I certainly think that kids are going to be upset for a while. It's bad enough when you lose normally- the Cubs did it spectacularly. It will be ingrained in their heads forever.

Quote:He's the quarterback who in 1997 led the Pittsburgh Steelers to the AFC Central title with an 11-5 record. He brought us all the way to the AFC championship game, playing very well all the way, but in that championship game played horribly despite home field advantage, tossing three interceptions in a loss to the Denver Broncos, who ended up winning the Super Bowl.

That was an awesome game too. Well, at least from my perspective. :D And just a couple years before the Steelers choked at home in the AFC Championship against San Diego. So maybe it isn't all Kordell, ya know.

Sorry, there are very few sports moments in which I can gloat, and it just sorta happens that the Steelers were the losers in 2 of my favorite football games ever. Thanks. :D

Wohoo!!!! - The Former DMiller - 18th October 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Fittisize
Eh...I dunno, do you think that kids care enough about baseball these days to get hung up over a loss? Two or three years ago when I was the age of some of those kids in that article I know that me and friends wouldn't get too worked up over a loss/defeat/elimination of a team.

In Chicago we live and die with our sports teams. Even when the teams are bad we support them, but when they are doing well everyone puts their hearts with the team. Kids can't help but give everything they have to their team, and when that team eventually loses a little part of everyone in Chicago dies and we become even more cynical.

Wohoo!!!! - A Black Falcon - 19th October 2003

That's the big arguement, isn't it...who are harder-core fans, Cubs fans or Red Sox Nation? :)

Wohoo!!!! - Laser Link - 19th October 2003

Charger fans are the most hardcore. And we're gonna celebrate like crazy because we WON! :D I wonder if it was because of Angle Grinder Man's nice powder blue suit.

By the way, we need some Anti-Yankee support going on here. Tack my Anti-Yankee pic or one of your own into your sig and show your unsupport for NY. After tonight, I think they need all the unhelp we can give them. I love making up words. :D

Wohoo!!!! - A Black Falcon - 19th October 2003

I do not want a NY logo in my sig, even with a slash through it. :)

Wohoo!!!! - Weltall - 20th October 2003

Charger fans are the most hardcore. And we're gonna celebrate like crazy because we WON! :D I wonder if it was because of Angle Grinder Man's nice powder blue suit.

By the way, we need some Anti-Yankee support going on here. Tack my Anti-Yankee pic or one of your own into your sig and show your unsupport for NY. After tonight, I think they need all the unhelp we can give them. I love making up words. :D

And honestly, you couldn't have picked a better opponent to beat, in my opinion. :)

Wohoo!!!! - Laser Link - 20th October 2003

You are welcome. :) And the Chefs [sic] almost blew it against Oakland. Just what we need, the Raiders thinking they are good again. What happened to the mighty KC offense? Believe me, they weren't shut down by the Raider D (that's impossible), I think they just didn't make the plane trip.

Being on their 3rd string QB, Broncos should seriously talk to Elway. That would be sweet, but he's, um, bulked up a bit since 99. But I think he would be big enough to qualify for a 77 instead of just 7 for his number.

Wohoo!!!! - A Black Falcon - 21st October 2003

This world series stinks. I mean... I can't root for either side! If there's one person in the baseball world I hate as much as George Steinbrenner its Jeffrey Loria... so I really don't know. I hate the Yankees so much... yet Loria is also a utterly despicable human being...

Wohoo!!!! - A Black Falcon - 25th October 2003

Marlins win. Its all over. Josh Beckett pitched a complete game 2-0 shutout... wow.

Still, I almost wish that the Yankees had won... because Jefferey Loria is the one person I can think of in Major League Baseball that I hade more than George Steinbrenner. But for the rest of the Marlins team, its good... its nice to see Beckett win. I saw him pitch once in Portland... he did great in that game. :)

And Ugueth Urbina, who the Sox refused to sign... and Chad Fox who they cut early this year. :)

Wohoo!!!! - Great Rumbler - 25th October 2003

Go, Marlins!! And Ivan Rodriguez!!

Yeah, he did it all... without him they'd have gone NOWHERE in this postseason.

Now... who's the MVP, Ivan Rodriguez (strange first name for a Latin American, I think... :) ) or Josh Beckett?

Wohoo!!!! - Fittisize - 25th October 2003

I agree ABF...the only person I really hate off the Marlins is the owner...other than that I like most of them. Especially Urbina. Ex 'Spo. :)

On the other hand it's a shame that the Yankees with all of their talent couldn't pull off the Series win...not that it is by any means an easy task though. By any means at all. Marlins just had more heart. And more evil. And it's good that the Yankees lost, too...they've won 26 championships, the most for any major sport (excluding soccer...the talent pool is much to large to limit it to only one championship for all the teams) and the Montreal Canadiens have won the second most, 23. I want Montreal to pass the Yankees. :) (But it'll never happen, Montreal didn't even make the playoffs last year...but hey anything can happen right).

Wohoo!!!! - Laser Link - 25th October 2003

It's absolutely wonderful that the Yankees didn't win, even with all their talent. You can't buy a championship, although they continue to try. If only baseball had a real salary cap, the Yankees would just go away for a long time until they built a team through their farm system. And when I say farm system I don't mean the 20 baseball teams that are out of playoff contention by July, which is where the Yankees typically get all their talent.

And the Yankees are the second most evil team in sports. Only the Raiders are more evil, and that's because Al Davis is of the undead. Steinbrenner may have sold his soul, but he is (at last check) still alive. But maybe this kicked him over. :D

Loria is a really awful person. He is personally responsible for destroying the Expos... that's a awful thing and no way in the world does he deserve a championship. Sure, the alternative would have been another Yankees victory... but they win all the time anyway...

I don't know, I'm definitely happy for the Marlins players, who deserve it a thousand times more than the Yankees... but with their owner... NO ONE should be rewarded for doing what he did.

Wohoo!!!! - The Former DMiller - 27th October 2003

People just won't let Steve Bartman live in peace. Apparantly he is the hot costume this Halloween in Chicago. The website that sells the little league team sweatshirts that he was wearing during the Inning crashed last week, and has had hundreds of orders. They even posted on their site that they would try hard to have orders sent before Halloween. It's a pretty simple costume. All you need is a Cubs hat, the sweatshirt, a pair of headphones, and a mitt. What I think would complement the costume is if someone with you went dressed as Moises Alou.

Wohoo!!!! - A Black Falcon - 27th October 2003

Heh... sounds good. :)

Sure, sure, it isn't REALLY his fault... but he did it, and they lost, so it is now! That's the way scapegoating works... the person has some responsibility, but not all of it. The question is, hjow much do they actually have...

Yeah! The Sox fired Grady Little! He needed to go... good move. :)

Wohoo!!!! - Laser Link - 27th October 2003

Wow. Chicago is pretty amazing.

Amazing? How? It would have been the same in Boston, only maybe worse, so I can certainly understand it...

Wohoo!!!! - The Former DMiller - 27th October 2003

Wow. Chicago is pretty amazing.

Amazing as in we are a bunch of crazy win-deprived sports fans who hope for the best every year but fear the worst?

Chicago's like Boston, except with less winning and more acceptance for losing, I think. Maybe the difference is that the Red Sox have had far more frusteratingly close brushes with success?

That, and the character of New England, I think. :)

Wohoo!!!! - The Former DMiller - 28th October 2003

Jay Mariotti stole my joke about someone going dressed as Moises Alou in his column today. He does a good job ripping into everybody for the whole situation, though.

Wohoo!!!! - Laser Link - 28th October 2003

So does that mean people in New England are dressing up as Grady Little? :)

Wohoo!!!! - A Black Falcon - 28th October 2003

Heh, no, I don't think so, nothing that nice... :)

Remember, Boston's sports climate is quite a bit less nice than Chicago's. I think that those articles that say that Bartsman is being blamed because the Chicago fans don't really want to blame their team might well be accurate... let's just say that if that was Boston, there would be no such recitence. :D

As for why we're blaming Little and not the players... well, the players did well! The only real thing that could be complained about was Pedro pitching to those last two guys, and I don't think anyone would blame him for trying...

And besides, you'd need to pretend to have a southern accent to be Grady Little. Not easy in New England...