Tendo City
X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! (/showthread.php?tid=1070)

Pages: 1 2 3

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - OB1 - 25th September 2003

Those are cinemas. We're talking about the game itself.

Those models are really crappy, even for a MMOG.

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - A Black Falcon - 25th September 2003

Look at my edited post with a whole bunch of screenshots... :)

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - Dark Jaguar - 25th September 2003

Yeah isn't it great to see an undead fleet attacking a human fleet? It's kinda sucky that the ships are identical between races, but it's a lot better than goblins making ships for everyone.

The only thing is none of the ladder maps seem to have shipyards of any kind. I hope they add a few with shipyards in a future upgrade.

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Look at my edited post with a whole bunch of screenshots... :)

You posted even more realistic-looking screens...

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - A Black Falcon - 25th September 2003

MORE realistic? You think those buildings look realistic? You truly are insane! I just don't see how you have one tiny bit of a way to support such a stupid comment...

Oh yeah, and look at the picture of the armory. Sure realistic scale weapons, huh? Rolleyes

Those ships are quite cartoonish too... note how they are evil Undead ships but just like the evil guys in Warcraft II they don't exactly look so evil... :)

I was referring to the characters.

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - Dark Jaguar - 25th September 2003

Note how whoever is playing that game decided to put the transport ships IN FRONT of the two kinds of attack ships, right next to the human's ships!

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - A Black Falcon - 26th September 2003

Yeah, not too smart if anyone's in them... :)

And OB1, that makes more sense... but the environments and weapons and everything are so cartoonish... and the people (adults) in Fable look mostly realistic too...

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - OB1 - 26th September 2003

They have realistic-looking textures, but their proportions are all very cartoony. Big eyes, big hands, big feet, small everything else, etc. They look like Popeye characters.

No more so than the ones in Warcraft...

The Warcraft models look N64-ish, not cartoony! Big difference.

N64-ish? Absolutely not, those poly counts and clarity is far, far above N64 levels! You just seem to dislike Blizz's style...

And as for the people, they definitely have unrealistic proportions. Just look at the guy in front of the Infernal!

That guy does look a bit better, but the other screens you posted were simply awful. Very N64-ish poly counts for the models. That man in front of the fire guy doesn't even look slightly cartoony while the other ones are just plain crappy.

You have no sense of good taste...

I think the Undead and Night Elves look very cool. :)

I never said that they looked stupid, just not very cartoony. You never pay attention.

Riiight.

Quote:That guy does look a bit better, but the other screens you posted were simply awful. Very N64-ish poly counts for the models. That man in front of the fire guy doesn't even look slightly cartoony while the other ones are just plain crappy.

Quote: The Warcraft models look N64-ish, not cartoony! Big difference.

Quote:Those models are really crappy, even for a MMOG.

Quote:This is cartoony to you?? The models are ugly, but not cartoony. It looks like they might be trying to make them look cartoony, but it's difficult to tell with such crappy models. That building in the back is pretty cartoony, but not more than Fable's buildings.

Yup, you certainly just said they don't look cartoonish, not that they look bad/stupid! Rolleyes

I said both.

Then denied that you said that part, which was the majority of your arguement. Rolleyes

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - OB1 - 27th September 2003

No no, the models are really crappy but I never called the designs themselves stupid.

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - A Black Falcon - 27th September 2003

I think that the models are good... not as high poly as they could be, but they have great style and show Blizz's Warcraft style off quite well.

They'd be good if this were 1997.

You are severely disturbed if you think an N64 could do that... its not even close, either in polys or textures!

Oh yeah, and the Warcraft guys DO have exaggerated proportions as well as cartoonish texturing... just look at the size of their hands!

Ooh, slightly large hands! Chuckle

[Image: ss093.jpg]

The N64 could do models just about this good. Textures, of course not. But the models? Almost.

It doesn't need lots of polys to look good and have style... and it certainly achieves those goals. And the environments are beyond anything the N64 could do... and the character models too, I'm sure. It couldn't do the hair i bet... but of course the texturing makes the models, and Blizz has great textures that give WC3 and WoW a great visual look.

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - OB1 - 28th September 2003

I'm sorry bubba but no amount of good textures could save a crappy model. The hair is nothing special at all, and the models have a very N64-ish look to them.

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - A Black Falcon - 28th September 2003

Sorry, but the poly count just doesn't have to be super high for the game to look great...

It does have to be higher for the characters to look cartoony, though. They're too blocky.

But the poly count just isn't that low!

And I very much doubt that no games released before this generation looked cartoonish (3d games). :)

No there have been some low-poly models that looked cartoony, but that's because the modelers knew how to make something with a very low poly count look like a cartoon. WoWC most certainly does not. And don't say that "it's because it's a MMORPG!" because Everquest 2 looks simply stunning...

[Image: everquest2_e32003_012.jpg]

[Image: everquest2_e32003_001.jpg]

[Image: everquest2_e32003_006.jpg]

[Image: everquest2_e32003_005.jpg]

So it has a lower poly count than some games. So? It still looks great! I guess you just dislike Blizzard's graphical style... because I think its great.

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - OB1 - 29th September 2003

I dislike their game engine. And the modelers suck if that's what they call cartoony. Otherwise they look just fine.

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - A Black Falcon - 29th September 2003

Okay, so except for the models, the textures, the graphical style, and the skill of the artists its just fine? Rolleyes

Let me rephrase that: The game looks perfectly fine but if they're trying to make it look cartoony then they have failed. However, if they intended it to like this then they've done a dandy job.

They have a unique and great looking style that can only sanely be described as cartoonish... I don't see how you can deny that, because there just isn't any other way to describe it!

Oh yeah, and don't just talk about the characters, since buildings and environments count just as much! Can you possibly deny that the buildings are quite unrealistic in design and look?

The buildings are pretty cartoony but the characters are definitely not.

Right, the Humans in WC3 SO look realistic! Those Knights and Peasants... so like real people, yup! Rolleyes

Well, real low poly people.

Yes, War3 does use relatively low-poly models, for obvious reasons... but they still get across very well the graphical style and Blizz's trademark sense of humor. :)

Whatever you say, but they're still not cartoony.

I cannot believe that you have actually played WC3 if you think that the graphics aren't cartoony... its just completely defies comprehension, unless you have the weirdest definition of 'cartoony' possible. I assume that you also think WC2 doesn't look cartoony, since WC3 looks like WC2 except in 3d... Erm

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - Great Rumbler - 29th September 2003

I think Warcraft 3 is cartoony...and not cartoony...at the same time.

I thought we were talking about WoWC here.

WC3 is a bit more cartoony than WoWC, but not by a whole lot. I can see where they were trying to make it look cartoony, but it really doesn't succeed in that area. That is, of course, if that's what they were actually trying to do.

You are insane... 'if'? You question if Blizz is making its games cartoonish (yet sort of not cartoonish in some ways) yet you have played them? Huh? Is that possible? You just make no sense at all... WC3 couldn't look a whole lot more cartoonish if they tried, with that visual look!

I'm sorry ABF but you really must not know what a cartoon looks like if you think that Warcraft looks very cartoony.

What in the world is cartoony to you, then???

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - OB1 - 30th September 2003

Definitely not that.

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - A Black Falcon - 30th September 2003

Characters only doesn't count -- the world and buildings counts at least as much and maybe more...

How about direct answers...

World of Warcraft?
Warcraft III?
Warcraft II?

Rayman 2?

But whatever, you're crazy and have no sense at all of what is cartoonish, so this discussion is pointless.

Oh right, I have no sense of what's "cartoonish". Rolleyes

WC2 is prett cartoony, WC3 is kind of cartoony, but WoWC is not. The backgrounds maybe, but everything else... no.

Rayman 2 is very cartoony.

X-Box: Not Kiddy Enough! - A Black Falcon - 30th September 2003

OB1, I don't get you at all... WoW has buildings and environments that look like they are pulled straight from WC3 yet you think they are less cartoonish? Huh?

I'm talking about the C-H-A-R-A-C-T-E-R-S.