Tendo City
National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: National Talk Like a Pirate Day (/showthread.php?tid=1069)

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Dark Jaguar - 19th September 2003

So, how was yesterday for the rest of ya? I totally neglected to post about it here.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Great Rumbler - 20th September 2003

Uh...I didn't even know there was such a day.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Darunia - 20th September 2003

I saw something about it, but I thought it was just a dumb joke...

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Undertow - 20th September 2003

Who makes up this shit?

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Great Rumbler - 20th September 2003

I would guess that it's probably the government.

Congressman #1: And next up for discussion: National Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Congressman #2: Um...shouldn't we be discussing something more important like the situation in Iraq or the ecomony?

Congressman #1: National Talk Like a Pirate Day is important too!

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Undertow - 20th September 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Great Rumbler
I would guess that it's probably the government.

Congressman #1: And next up for discussion: National Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Congressman #2: Um...shouldn't we be discussing something more important like the situation in Iraq or the ecomony?

Congressman #1: National Talk Like a Pirate Day is important too!

Oh that congressman Red Beard, such a whimsical fellow.

They said a pirate couldn't be voted into office, they said no one could stand his silly arrogance and demands to loot and plunder neighboring villages. Boy did he show them.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Darunia - 20th September 2003

Is that the same pirate-congressman who sings the opening theme to Spong Bob Squarepants?

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - buckey_lasek - 20th September 2003

that would explain a lot

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Dark Jaguar - 21st September 2003

And then there's the FLYING DUTCHMAN! Not just a move for Cerventes any more! Behold! BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

Arr me matey what ya be lubberin' about?

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Darunia - 21st September 2003

Here's some REAL pirate talk!!

Thank you Jack.

You're welcome.

No, not you; we named the monkey Jack.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Dark Jaguar - 21st September 2003

I saw that movie. Funny stuff.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - -_____- - 21st September 2003

Savvy?

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Darunia - 23rd September 2003

I for one salute Disney, because they've succeeded where they never have before...Disney is evolving from a winpy, gay kiddie industry into a company that can entertain any audience. Pirates was an awesome movie; the best I've seen so far this year...and it was great for ANY audience! It had violence...(yes, people DIED in a Disney movie!) and action, suggestive plot, and swearing and downright hilarious moments. In the whole, I can't tell if it was more of a family movie, or just a regular action-adventure-comedy! Perhaps someone *cough* Nintendo *cough* could learn from how Disney is now invading new markets.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Great Rumbler - 23rd September 2003

Quote:they've succeeded where they never have before...

They also succeded with Pirates of the Carribean where NO ONE has before in making a pirate movie that actually made money [and quite a bit in fact].

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - OB1 - 23rd September 2003

If only Disney's animated features didn't suck so badly. The first ten or so Disney movies are still the best.

And did Gray Davis really say that?

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Great Rumbler - 23rd September 2003

Quote:And did Gray Davis really say that?

Yes, he really did say that. :D

Fox News

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - A Black Falcon - 23rd September 2003

Oh, I've liked many of Disney's animated movies... the theater ones, anyway. The made-for-video sequels are often bad. Disney animated films are hardly great pieces of filmmaking, but they're alright...

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - buckey_lasek - 23rd September 2003

they stray too far away from the first and leaves room for too many questions.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - EdenMaster - 24th September 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
And then there's the FLYING DUTCHMAN! Not just a move for Cerventes any more! Behold! BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

Arr me matey what ya be lubberin' about?

*dreams of the day when Cervantes visits Bikini Bottom*

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Dark Jaguar - 24th September 2003

vs. Flying Dutchman

Fight!

Just remember, you hit Spongebob and he just absorbs it like he's made out of some sort of... spongy material... Plus, he's always cutting himself apart all on his own with no ill effect.

Time to head to Super Weenie Hut Jr's!

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - OB1 - 24th September 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Oh, I've liked many of Disney's animated movies... the theater ones, anyway. The made-for-video sequels are often bad. Disney animated films are hardly great pieces of filmmaking, but they're alright...

The first Disney films were definitely great pieces of filmmaking. Movies like Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, etc. Back when Walt was in charge and really put in heart and soul into each picture.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - A Black Falcon - 24th September 2003

I liked Aladdin and Lion King, for sure... those are definitely among the great Disney films. The newer ones aren't up to that standard, but I still found them mostly enjoyable, at least the ones I've seen (haven't seen Treasure Planet, or Mulan, or Lilo & Stitch)... I watched Atlantis last year and liked it more than I thought I would. :)

But yes, the old ones are the best. Of the modern ones Lion King is probably best... though they're mostly pretty decent.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - EdenMaster - 24th September 2003

I think Cervantes would make a great addition to Spongebob. They really do need a REAL villain living down there!

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
I liked Aladdin and Lion King, for sure... those are definitely among the great Disney films. The newer ones aren't up to that standard, but I still found them mostly enjoyable, at least the ones I've seen (haven't seen Treasure Planet, or Mulan, or Lilo & Stitch)... I watched Atlantis last year and liked it more than I thought I would. :)

But yes, the old ones are the best. Of the modern ones Lion King is probably best... though they're mostly pretty decent.

Meh, I don't like any of their 90's movies. They either bastardized the story they were adapting (as in the case with Aladdin and the Hunchback of Notre Dame) or just ripped off something else (which The Lion King did). And they lost that very special charm and fairy tale-like feeling that the first six or so Disney animated features had.

All the Disney movies follow a fairly predictable formula... and all of them are primarially for kids. Yes, the older ones are more 'classic', but the newer ones are hardly bad.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Great Rumbler - 24th September 2003

Quote:They either bastardized the story they were adapting (as in the case with Aladdin and the Hunchback of Notre Dame) or just ripped off something else (which The Lion King did).

Hey, I liked the Alladin movie...well I did when was 10 anyway. :D

As for the Lion King I suppose you can say that it was a rip off of Kimba the Lion [that is what you're talking about right?], but when you get right down to it The Lion King is Hamlet with lions.

Quote:And they lost that very special charm and fairy tale-like feeling that the first six or so Disney animated features had.

Well, they were BASED on fairy-tales so...

Pretty much yeah OB1. Ya can't say Simba was a ripoff of Kimba without admitting Kimda was a ripoff of shakespear's work. In that same token, saying Treasure planet is a ripoff of ANY anime without acknowledging that whatever anime that was is a ripoff of Treasure Island is ignorance. What's next, saying Blade was a ripoff of Vampire Hunter D? (If ya think that, I've got a Penny Arcade comic for ya.)

Oh plenty of things rip off other things, but it's nothing something that should be encouraged just because it's so common. But ripping off Shakespear isn't that bad as long as its acknowledged.

And not all of the early Disney movies were fairy tales. There was Dumbo, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book... Just about anything Walt himself produced was fantastic.

BTW Blade is a comic book character who existed long before Vampire Hunter D.

Yes, pretty much everything Walt produced was great. I just think that the modern people at Disney have done a good job... I know they aren't very complex movies or anything, but they're just good, fun to watch movies.

Oh yeah, and LOTS of stories rip off other stories.

The post-Walt toons are passable entertainment but totally lack the quality of Walt's films.

Um, Jungle Book original? It says DURING THE START it's based on the actual Jungle BOOK! I mean, why would they call it Jungle BOOK when not a book is found in the whole frickin' movie to deserve that name?

Jungle Book is actually a collection of various tales, the movie Disney made being based on one of them. Another one you may have heard of is Rikki Tikki Tavi.

Eh, you're alright... ANYway, Lion King was awesome. So was Little Mermaid while I'm at it, though they changed a bit from the original story (like something about her feet feeling like they were stepping on razor blades every time she took a step because she used that evil human transformation).

Uh, when did I say that The Jungle Book was original? I don't think any of Walt's movies were original. Most of them were based off of Brothers Grimm stories.

Little Mermaid... that one was good too. Yes, it changed the story a lot, but ALL the Disney films do that. That one just did it a bit more than most...

Well ya said that Jungle Book wasn't a fairy tale in such a way as to infer that not everything done was based on any sort of old story.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - buckey_lasek - 24th September 2003

the old disney films are the best by far, most any fairy tale movie is based off a grimm story. the jungle book was based from kipling's story. aladdin was an awsome movie and one of my favourites, but there was no reason for sequels.

NONE of the Disney sequals deserved to exist! They are a decay upon the land itself, much like the various Land Before Time sequels.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - buckey_lasek - 25th September 2003

good point. what number of land before time are they up to anyways, like 17? i don't see how or why they've made so many.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - OB1 - 25th September 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Well ya said that Jungle Book wasn't a fairy tale in such a way as to infer that not everything done was based on any sort of old story.

No, I was just listing out the ones that weren't fairy tales but still had that great Disney charm to them.

And I had to watch some of those shitty Land Before Time sequels with my nephew recently. Why on earth did they add those terrible musical numbers to them??

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Great Rumbler - 25th September 2003

Disney sequels are invariable horrendous movies that show just why the marketing division should never be in charge of making anything besides advertisements.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Dark Jaguar - 25th September 2003

Indeed, I remember loving the first Land Before Time, but then they made a second one... Evil.... EVIL!

Have you seen any of them? They're worse than you could possibly imagine. And they add in these really lame songs to the movies. Don Bluth must be rolling around in his grave.

Quote:Don Bluth must be rolling around in his grave.

I suppose he would be...IF HE WAS DEAD.

He's doing the cinematics for I-Ninja.

Oh how he's fallen... :cry:

Yeah, Titan A.E. was the end of his career. I thought it was an okay movie though.

The cel animation was great, but the 3d stuff just looked weird, like as if it were running at a lower framerate (like most PSX FMV).

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Dark Jaguar - 25th September 2003

I wouldn't blatently call them bad if I hadn't already seen the second one and indeed a little of a few after that.

National Talk Like a Pirate Day - Darunia - 25th September 2003

Titan AE was a good movie...as was Battlefield Earth. Yet they both were horrific flops. Odd, that.