Tendo City
Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? (/showthread.php?tid=1032)

Pages: 1 2 3

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 16th September 2003

Yay, someone voted for peanut butter!

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Darunia - 16th September 2003

The Wrath of Khan was an awesome movie...one of the best sci-fi films ever...but I prefer the light-hearted, funny break away from the dry series as portrayed in The Voyage Home. It has a frickin' awesome soundtrack, and it's just a pleasure to watch...it's so much fun you don't have to only watch it with Trekkie fans!

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 16th September 2003

Yeah, you can even watch it with non-nerds!

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Great Rumbler - 16th September 2003

Yeah, it's got main-stream appeal, but Trekkies can still enjoy it.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 16th September 2003

Khan and Undiscovered Country are still better...

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Darunia - 17th September 2003

You take that back, ABF! You take it back now! Those are my #2 and #3 favorite ones, but Voyage kicks ass!!

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Great Rumbler - 17th September 2003

I don't believe it!! Both OB1 and I are at this moment in agreement with Darunia! Has hell froze over?! Not that I know of! Are meteors at this very moment colliding somewhere in the universe? They must be, because nothing else can explain this phenomenon!!

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 17th September 2003

I used to like Voyage Home most, but re-watching the three last year made me think that Khan was best, TUC second, and Voyage third. :)

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Darunia - 18th September 2003

*Great Rumbler, Darunia and OB1 form a Triple Entente*

*Mug ABF in the street; steal all his valuables and leave him unconscious in the dumpster with a tattoo reading "Voyage Home Kicks Khan's Ass!" in big letters.*

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 18th September 2003

I don't think Voyage Home is a better movie than Wrath of Khan, just the more "fun" and rewatchable one.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Great Rumbler - 19th September 2003

The Voyage Home is actually the highest grossing Star Trek movie and the only one to make over 100 million dollars.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 19th September 2003

Yup.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 19th September 2003

But box-office numbers are so deceptive! They aren't generally adjusted for inflation... unless you do that I'd say they mean nothing.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Darunia - 19th September 2003

But box-office numbers are so deceptive! They aren't generally adjusted for inflation... unless you do that I'd say they mean nothing.

Numbskull; that fact that they aren't adjusted for inflation is a boon for the newer films. The fact that an older film still out grossed the newer ones only adds to my point.

Haha

ABF is so smart.

Yeah, sure... I bet that First Contact beat it if you include international box office numbers, but that's the only one that even had a chance... the others didn't do very well... mostly for good reasons. Nemesis, though... it was a very good movie. Deserved to do far better than it did... but even it will make money overall, and maybe even be a success, once you add in the international box office and DVD numbers...

Rolleyes

Star Trek IV grossed a total of $109,713,132.

First Contact grossed a total of $92,027,888, and that's not even taking inflation into consideration!

Go here to see how the rest stack up to Trek IV. None of them passed the $100 million mark like Voyage Home did.

Nemesis was definitely not a success. It had a production budget of $60 million, an estimated marketing budget of $33 million, and it only made $43,126,102 domestically. That's pathetic. It is a pretty good movie, but Paramount was stupid enough to release it just a few days before The Two Towers.

If you took inflation into account The Voyage Home's gross would be about 180-190 million dollars.

That's why I said that Nemesis could be called a success if you include the international box office into the equasion! I heard it did pretty well there... obviously it failed in the US, but the US isn't the whole world. :)

Where did you hear that it did well outside the U.S.??

Okay, not successful, but it WILL make money.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/yearly/2002b.htm

$44 million US plus $24 million international is $68 million... add DVD sales and its not going to lose money for Paramount. :)

It'll probably break even, but I don't think it'll make much of a profit.

I think it had a total cost of between $65-70 million, so just the box office totals got it to right around break-even. The DVD sales will push it over the top. As I said, it won't exactly be a hit... but it won't be a money-loser either. No Trek film has lost money in the end...

Now, the question is -- what should be next? Another film with the TNG crew? A DS9 or Voyager movie? A mixture movie with people from several crews (TNG, DS9, Voyager...)? A Enterprise movie? A all-new crew?

And when should it come out? Should they wait a while?

I really don't know... maybe they should wait a few years again like they did for Nemesis, but for the crew... I'd really like to see a DS9/Voyager movie. Combo if you must (with some TNG people I'm sure) since I very much doubt either one will get a movie all to itsself...

Oh please no. Voyager must stay dead.

They might go with the original crew prequel movie that takes place at Star Fleet Academy. Paramount has been saying that they'd make that one for a while now.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Great Rumbler - 20th September 2003

Quote:I think it had a total cost of between $65-70 million, so just the box office totals got it to right around break-even.

Actually, no. When you add advertising costs it pushes the cost of the movie to about 93 million dollars.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Darunia - 20th September 2003

I don't believe you're bogged down arguing in these dumb statistics. Star Trek IV is the best Trek film, period. There, I solved it for you.

They'd better not make a Voyager movie. No gigantic budget could make it worth watching. The Trek-movie industry is in the same dire straits as Nintendo...they don't want to give the audience what they want. They know whats best for us, and we should cater to it.

It's a true shame that we can't resurrect Deforest Kelly and roll out a few good classic Trek films...but perhaps a big blending of several casts would be cool. If not, they should give TNG one more go at least(or was Nemesis their last?).

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 20th September 2003

Voyager wasn't as unpopular as you think...

And Trek is okay right now, but it won't really get great again until they get rid of Berman and Braga...

All I know is that I hate Voyager, and OB1 does too...and if there is ANY power in the universe strong enough to unite us, it must be for good reason. Voyager sucked. This is evident. Do not fight it.

Oh, because of course because Darunia says so it is so!

Because ABF says it isn't so, it must be so.

I may not understand why so many people hate Voyager, but I'm not saying that just because I like it it should be everyone's favorite Trek series or something... its clearly an opinion matter. I don't know why Janeway makes people hate her, but I feel like that for Archer, who some people like, so its clearly a matter of opinion.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 20th September 2003

Voyager is the reason why nobody watched Enterprise even at the beginning. Voyager is extremely unpopular amongst the Trek fan community, and most people simply stopped watching Trek during Voyager's lifespan.

Then why did it, if I remember correctly, get better ratings than DS9 or Enterprise almost all the time? :)

Clearly it has a fanbase.

You have statistics to back up such a bold claim, of course.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 21st September 2003

Oh come on, have you missed how Enterprise ratings are so low that it might even be cancelled, something Voyager never had to worry about? And as for DS9, it had a loyal fanbase but not wide popular appeal, which Voyager did have... Voyager was probably more popular among less hardcore fans.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 22nd September 2003

No Trek series ever had as good ratings as TNG, and Voyager got very unpopular near the end of its run. So unpopular, in fact, that very few people bothered to even given Enterprise a chance.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 22nd September 2003

Yes, that is true among hardcore fans of the series...

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Darunia - 22nd September 2003

Oh come on, have you missed how Enterprise ratings are so low that it might even be cancelled, something Voyager never had to worry about?

Hey buddy, I'm not defending Enterprise or DS9...they all pale next to TNG. I'm just bashing Voyager as weak, politically correct, and all-around poor. Janeway was a lousy, annoying bitch of a captain. They sacrafice good writing and plot for a nod towards politically correctness. If they'd not been stopped, who knows how far it would've gone...an openly gay captain?

ABF: If Voyager's ratings were good near the end then they wouldn't have had to resort to lame gimmicks in hope of getting better ratings (like that terrible The Rock episode).

True... but still, I really don't think its ratings dropped as low as Enterprise's have been. They certainly weren't anywhere near as good as the ratings heights of TNG, though... but that is Trek's all-time high...

Oh, and DS9 was always popular among a lot of Trek fans but it just didn't have as much of a popular audience as Voyager. I believe that Voyager got higher ratings... though I'm not sure of course.

No Trek series had as bad ratings as Enterprise... well perhaps TOS did. People just got sick of Trek after Voyager.

And Enterprise didn't exactly do much to raise much of their confidence.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Darunia - 23rd September 2003

Yea, in the TV Guide article I read, they promised all of this new originality...how it'd be nothing like the last few stinkers. How the ship would be like realistic and less flamboyantly designed; cold and gritty like a submarine...still looks pretty colorful and fake to me, though. It also promised episodes and plots where the Prime Directive wouldn't fuck up the fun. Promised more action and all kinds of shit. From what I've seen, it hasn't delivered.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 23rd September 2003

How many episodes have you seen? I've seen most of them and there really were some good episodes in seasons 1 & 2, mainly 2. The Mind Meld episode, the cogenitor episode, the Borg episode (which directly tied into First Contact), the first Vulcans on earth episode, and a few more. On the whole the show isn't that great but there have been some good episodes.

And the ship does look a lot more a sub than the previous Trek ships. But I really don't like that. I miss the bright and happy designs from TOS and TNG. :D

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 23rd September 2003

I watched most all of season 1 of Enterprise and probably over half of season 2... haven't watched either s3 ep though. I don't know... just haven't gotten around to it. I will watch it sometimes but the show doesn't make me want to watch it every week... for instance, most of the S2 eps I did watch are ones I downloaded from the college DC hub.

I haven't really watched any shows every week since... hmm, last summer maybe? Maybe a year ago...

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 23rd September 2003

Neat.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Darunia - 24th September 2003

I confess to not having watched it in a while. When's it on, anyway?:D

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 24th September 2003

Rolleyes

Oh brother...

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 24th September 2003

I watched the second half of tonight's episode... it was interesting. Not bad.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Darunia - 24th September 2003

Rather than answer the simple question, he needs to revert to his sarcastic self. Typical OB1ism. And there we were getting along and everything for about a week. Oh, well back to this...

*Mobilizes 65,000 Goron conscripts*