Tendo City
Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? (/showthread.php?tid=1032)

Pages: 1 2 3

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 9th September 2003

Wrath of Khan!

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 9th September 2003

Hmm... yeah, got to agree. It was the best one... though 6, 8, and 4 (probably in that order) are very close behind.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Great Rumbler - 9th September 2003

It's a tough call. First Contact was pretty good, but it's just hard to beat seeing the Star Trek crew in 1980s Los Angeles. So I'll say Star Trek 4.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Dark Lord Neo - 9th September 2003

Kahn was my favorite followed by First Contact, then Undiscovered COuntry then voyage home

Voyage Home was the one I watched most often as a child, so it has a special place in my heart. It's the most re-watchable of the Trek flicks, methinks.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Weltall - 9th September 2003

Wrath of Khan. But only by a hair over Undiscovered Country.

The Voyage Home is indeed great... but watch it again. Its not quite as good now, I'd say, as Undiscovered Country or Wrath of Khan...

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Great Rumbler - 9th September 2003

I have watched in recently, about a month ago, and I still liked it. It's got staying power.

Yeah, I watched it again a few months ago after not having seen it in over six years, and I enjoyed it even more than when I was a kid.

Trek VI is good, but when I first heard about it I was expecting the crew to discover some cool new world. I didn't expect it to be a metaphor for something political. :D I didn't think it was a very good last movie for the original crew.

Yeah, I watched Trek 2, 4, and 6 last year... I liked 6 more than I remembered, 2 a bit more than I remembered, and 4 not quite as much... so I probably would say the order is 2, then 6, then 4. But all three are so good...

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Dark Lord Neo - 9th September 2003

I just watched II again because I've had the directors edition for a while but I'd never watched it.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Weltall - 10th September 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
Yeah, I watched it again a few months ago after not having seen it in over six years, and I enjoyed it even more than when I was a kid.

Trek VI is good, but when I first heard about it I was expecting the crew to discover some cool new world. I didn't expect it to be a metaphor for something political. :D I didn't think it was a very good last movie for the original crew.

?

It had everything: Fighting, some of the best ship combat, and one of the most important events in the entire series. I thought it was perfect as an endgame.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 10th September 2003

Yeah, when I watched 6 last year I thought it was a GREAT last movie for the original crew! What more could you possibly want from a concluding movie for that group?

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 10th September 2003

Something more dramatic and with more finality.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - alien space marine - 10th September 2003

Startrek 4 was the best selling non sucky trek movie, 240,0000 dollars at the box office right smack in the middle of the 80's.

Its the funniest and most witty trek movie and its the only one without the enterprise involved. Everyone except the black lady had good lines.

First contact made 190,0000 but it was actually scary the first time you see it , As voyager didnt have any borgs at that time so it was still fresh and resserved for TNG.

Startrek 7 were you have kirk and picard together was a decent movie .

Startrek the motion picture and startrek 3 sucked cock for TOS, But Startrek 10 sucked the most of all of them and thats why it bombed lower then any trek movie before in sales.

A shitload of continuity errors and predictable story arch and just the fact Tom hardy (shinzon)was a pansy is what killed this movie. Stuart Bard has no place working in startrek as he clearly demonstrated his lack of respect or understanding of what a startrek movie is and he should go back to making John Wayne rip offs. John logan must have spilled coffee on the script or somthing because damn it sucked! No originality , poor lines, Butched continuity.Killing data in such a cheap undramatic manner was a disrespect to TNG if you want to see how it sopposed to be done go rewatch startrek2.

I think I could have done a better job then what they did.

Like WHAT? I'd say that its as good as a conclusion could be! I just can't think of anything that its lacking as a end... it was a great way to conclude the classic series.

The final movie for the original crew should have felt more like the original series, methinks. If you watch the original series you'll know what I'm talking about.

More adventure, less politics. I like Trek VI, but it felt more like a sci-fi Tom Clancy novel than a real Star Trek movie.

But the politics stuff is a big part of why its so good!

Not for the original series. DS9, sure. But not TOS.

But the movies are pretty different from the series... and in that movie it works very well.

Not if you're a huge fan of TOS and wanted something more akin to that for their final movie.

I watched all six original Trek movies, but hadn't seen much of any of the series before that... now I've seen some eps, but when I saw the movies the first time? Not much at all. And I've still not watched most of the original series... and if you can ignore the ... outdated ... look to the show its pretty good. I don't like the theme song all too much, though...

You should watch the episode "Space Seed" since it ties directly into Wrath of Khan.

I didn't see that one...

Well you should.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Weltall - 10th September 2003

I have to disagree with you OBJuan, such an event HAD to be political. The very nature of peace talks is political. At least it was smart and realistically political. Overall, the idea of the original crew participating to bring peace with the Klingons was the best way to finish their adventures. After all, the Klingons were by far the most colorful adversaries of the Federation. And of course it took place during, and most definitely consciously mirrored, the collapse of America's most colorful adversary, the Soviet Union. It simply couldn't be done better.

Yeah yeah I know how it was politically relevant and everything, but I really don't think it was a good farewell to the original crew. If Generations had actually been a good movie and a nice farewell to the original cast then I would have absolutely no problems with Trek VI. It is a very good Trek flick, but there was no finality to it, no sense of culmination and farewell for the original crew. I suppose they didn't think that would be the last original crew movie, but still...

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - alien space marine - 11th September 2003

startrek 7 was great.

and it was about passing the torch not ending tos.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 11th September 2003

Huh? I thought that the ending was a great sendoff to the crew! I really don't understand how they could have made it much better... in the end they sail off into the sunset on their final voyage together. An appropriate ending, I'd say...

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 11th September 2003

A little sunset send-off isn't enough. :p

There weren't many scenes that gave the impression of a final farewell for the crew, which is what it badly needed.

And ASM, Generations did a terrible job of "passing on the torch" from old crew to new. The only character from the original crew that in the movie for more than a few seconds was Kirk, and he wasn't even in most of the picture! Spock wasn't there, and Bones, Chekov, and Scotty were shown for just a few short minutes after they showed Kirk "die", and that was it! It was a complete failure for what it was supposed to do.

I agree about Generations, OB1... that was a pathetic conclusion. They should have just left it after TUC if that was the alternative...

And I'm sure that if the director and writers knew that Generations would have been such a pathetic farewell for the original crew, they would have changed some things with Trek VI.

I don't know... I think it would have been a fine conclusion if not for Generations...

Well then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You don't like politics in Trek, it seems... you must have hated DS9. :)

:roll2:

I like DS9 a lot, but it wasn't fitting for the last voyage of the original crew. If the movie was about the last voyage of the DS9 crew then it would have fitted perfectly. But it wasn't.

But I like politics, so I thought it was quite interesting... and appropriate, as mentioned, since the Klingons were the big enemy and they had to resolve that for TNG.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Weltall - 11th September 2003

Yeah yeah I know how it was politically relevant and everything, but I really don't think it was a good farewell to the original crew. If Generations had actually been a good movie and a nice farewell to the original cast then I would have absolutely no problems with Trek VI. It is a very good Trek flick, but there was no finality to it, no sense of culmination and farewell for the original crew. I suppose they didn't think that would be the last original crew movie, but still...

Actually, I can understand where you're coming from, because VI did not end with a true note of finality, it ended with "The Enterprise is being decommissioned, and the crew will disperse and retire and go their merry way" and while I think that device in itself is a fine way to finish the series, the problem was, it had been done before. Several of the movies involved the crew being reunited for 'one last battle' after they had supposedly moved on with their lives, and in several cases recommissioned themselves after retirement. However, the reason I say VI was a wonderful endgame is not because of the very last scene but because of what their final mission was. Ending that long war was probably the most profound thing the Enterprise crew ever did.

As for Generations being a poor send-off for the original crew, I never got the impression that it was intended as a send-off for them. I always felt that it was specifically designed for Captain Kirk (Scotty and Chekov's presence were mere cameos) and Kirk died saving a planet from destruction, as he had done a thousand times before. Sure, he could have put up a better fight, but it could have ended in worse ways. I had kinda hoped Kirk would have been able to see the Enterprise-D though...

Generations is all about missed potential. If you look at is as a TNG movie then sure it might be alright, but it was supposed to be the final send-off for the original crew. It was just so disatisfying in so many ways.

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 12th September 2003

Yeah... Generations wasn't completely awful, but it certainly didn't deal with the situation as well as it could have. I thought it was kind of trying to send off the original crew, again, and if it was it completely failed... and as for Kirk's death, it just seemed kind of pointless and while it was done trying to save a planet, like he'd done plenty of times before, it just didn't really seem right for him... oh well, the movie had plenty of other problems too.

Weltall, you are right that several times before they'd come out of retirement... but the last one did have a bit more finality to it, I'd say. And yes, the best part is that they managed to accomplish something they never thought they could that tied up the main plotline of the whole classic series...

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - OB1 - 12th September 2003

The human/klingon conflict was not the main plotline of TOS.

But they were the main badguys, and they clearly weren't in TNG, and they had to explain that... and I'd say using the original crew is the best way...

The Romulans were the main bad guys in TOS.

Uh... I'd certainly think that the Klingons were...

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Weltall - 12th September 2003

The Romulans were the main bad guys in TOS.

No they weren't. The Romulans appeared in two episodes from TOS that I can recall. The Klingons appeared far more often even in TOS. And while the Federation/Klingon conflict was not the main story arc (there IS no main story arc) it was by far the most recurring theme in the series. And besides that, by the time STVI came about, TNG had already basically established that Federation/Klingon relations had dramatically changed sometime in the last 80 years.

Pretty much as I said... :)

You serious? I could have sworn that the Romulans were in more episodes than that...

Hmm, guess I shouldn't rely on my childhood memory so much anymore... :hmm:

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Weltall - 12th September 2003

I got the Star Trek Encyclopedia just a few days ago, the new color edition, for five dollars at a B&N clearance. So I kinda know a little again ;)

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - A Black Falcon - 13th September 2003

I don't have that, and I didn't see most of the classic episodes... but I do know that everyone has always identified the Klingons as the main enemies, including the actors... oh, and I have one book... something by Shatner, 'Star Trek Memories' or something?

Favorite Even-Numbered Trek Movie? - Laser Link - 15th September 2003

Yeah, peanut butter. Mmmmm.