Tendo City
Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid (/showthread.php?tid=1002)

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - EdenMaster - 30th August 2003

http://www.jedimaster.net

Go.

Now.

You've already seen it?

I don't care.

Go again.

Now.

You'll thank me.

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - Great Rumbler - 30th August 2003

And if you ever do tape yourself being stupid you should never let your friends get a hold of the tape. :D

An interesting side note to this is that the parents of that kid are suing the kids who put the movie on the internet for "emotional stress" their son suffered.

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - A Black Falcon - 30th August 2003

Yeah, and for a lot of money, too... the kid was humiliated pretty badly...

But still, its funny. :)

I think naming your child Ghyslain is equal to or worse than the amount of humiliation and "emotional anguish" these videos have caused.

Hell, every time someone buys something, he gets half the profit, and with 12 million people downloading the movie by now, sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me!

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - N-Man - 30th August 2003

Ghyslain is a common name up here, nothing humiliating about that. You'd be surprised by the amount of names we have that sound terribly bad in english.

This kid is getting cash sent to him by people all over the place, hell last I heard he got an iPod from people who felt sorry for him. Not such a bad tradeoff.

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - Great Rumbler - 30th August 2003

Quote:This kid is getting cash sent to him by people all over the place, hell last I heard he got an iPod from people who felt sorry for him. Not such a bad tradeoff.

That's exactly why I can't understand why his parents are suing!! Hey, I could stand the humiliation if it got me free money!

So...maybe it's a good idea to tape yourself doing something stupid. :D

Quote:Originally posted by N-Man
Ghyslain is a common name up here, nothing humiliating about that. You'd be surprised by the amount of names we have that sound terribly bad in english.

Hmm, you're right. You should come down here to some of our hoods and see the names like LeQuanda and Tamishna.

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - Dark Lord Neo - 30th August 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Yeah, and for a lot of money, too... the kid was humiliated pretty badly...

But still, its funny. :)

Canadian civil courts usually don't award people with verdicts as large as some of the rediculouse American verdicts though

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - Weltall - 30th August 2003

Hey, I was taped drunk. Maybe Sean and Minka will turn it into a lucrative marketing ploy and I'll be RICH.

Lazy, we beg of you, PLEASE upload that so we can all show the little childrens why alcohol is bad!

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - Weltall - 31st August 2003

Hey, the family get-together that we taped the next evening was just as funny!

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - A Black Falcon - 31st August 2003

But you don't want to share them... :(

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - buckey_lasek - 8th September 2003

that was sad. if you're going to be stupid like that at least have some style.

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - OB1 - 10th September 2003

Hey the kid might get a tiny role in Episode III so it's not that bad.

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - Dark Jaguar - 10th September 2003

Why would he get a role in Ep 3? Oh, that petition thing? Don't you know petitions never work unless the company themselves is actually hosting the petition? Let's not forget that the kid has to actually want to do this. As though Lucasart's total lack of awareness of the petition wouldn't be enough (likely they get millions they just throw out), it's very likely to be ignored for the other reason being the kid's consent hasn't even been given.

There goes DJ again, completely misconstruing what I wrote. Did I ever mention a petition? No. Did I say anything except that the kid might land a tiny role in Ep 3? Nope!

I'm not even aware of any petition to get the kid in Episode 3. I'm talking about something that was put up on the official Episode III webcam by the Episode III makeup department. Here's a rundown of what happened:

Quote:Late last night, those of us watching the E3 webcam saw the makeup dept. putting touches on various Wookiee masks, including Chewbacca's. Then the camera showed us that the crew there was watching the infamous "Star Wars Kid" video. Then at 14:16:40 (on 6/3) the lady we'd been watching for most of the night turned to face the camera and held up a piece of paper. Written on it in black magic marker was this:

"We Love Ghyslain. You Rock!! Jedi Kid."

She held it up long enough for the camera to snap a few frames. At 14:17:20 she held up another piece of paper, this time reading:

"Ghyslain 4 Episode 3.? C'est possible, non?"

See what I mean now?

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - A Black Falcon - 10th September 2003

Huh... that'd be cool. :)

I don't know French...

Well then, that'll be the first time I heard someone suggest that who WASN'T talking about an idiotic online petition.

Rolleyes

Petitions can make a difference, you know. A bunch of DVDs have been changed/released because of petitions.

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - A Black Falcon - 10th September 2003

No, of course not. They never work!

Sometimes they do! Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory got released in Widescreen after a whole bunch of people signed a petition to get a WS version of the movie.

Um, is there a direct correlation or do you think, maybe, just maybe it was just a coincidence? After all, just about every movie is getting a wide screen release.

It was most certainly not just a coincidence. When Warner released the special edition of Willy Wonka a few years back it was only available in pan & scan (or "fullscreen"), and they made it very clear that they had no plans on releasing it in widescreen format. They talked about how families "hate those black bars" and that was that. Soon afterwards an internet petition started up and 12,000 signatures later Warner announced that they were going to release a widescreen version of the film to please DVD connoisseurs (the people who buy lots and lots of DVDs).

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - Dark Jaguar - 11th September 2003

Um, so they said they did it because of the petition you say? I would have just assumed they did a little market research after the statement to make sure no one wanted that, but if they said it, that does make a difference.

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - A Black Falcon - 11th September 2003

Uhhh... OB1, if your response to my last post was serious... I wasn't! That was "sarcasm"... of course I know that plenty of petitions work, especially on this subject... sure, most don't, but I am aware that a fair number of DVD-related ones have.

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - OB1 - 11th September 2003

Never trust this so-called market research. It involves going to Blockbuster and asking a few parents which aspect ratio they prefer. They never ask the real DVD-philes about these sorts of things, and you'd be surprised by how difficult it is to get certain things right in this field. Most people probably don't understand what OAR (original aspect ration) really means, and when they're uninformed about it they often make the wrong choice. Take Blockbuster for example. Only recently have they decided to carry mostly widescreen DVDs. In the past they said that most people prefer pan & scan. However, since DVDs have become more and more popular in recent years, people are starting to get used to widescreen movies and after Blockbuster did some more thourough research they found out that most people actually prefer widescreen over pan & scan.

And ABF, I wasn't quite sure if you were joking or not.

You usually can't tell when I'm being sarcastic... but it seems obvious to me... :)

As for DVDs, isn't it a pretty small number of people who care that much? Most just want to watch the movies... and it does take a while to get used to widescreen, for sure.

Actually the number of DVD purists out there is steadily rising, and you'd be surprised by how many people prefer widescreen now. After you compare widescreen and fullscreen to each other most people are quite shocked by how much of the image they lose.

Pan & Scan (Fullscreen) = EVIL!!

Not many people would say fullscreen is EVIL!!! (not me), OB1... but it is true that more people are realizing that it is somewhat better.

"somewhat"?? In most cases you lose over half of the entire picture!

I think you're in need of this little article: http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/feature/20020925/indexp2.html

Here are some great comparison shots to show how just how much picture you lose with fullscreen:

[Image: 69787_bg.jpg]

[Image: 66535_bg.jpg]

The different is enourmous. Half of Yoda is cut off and you can't even see Mace in that second shot.

If you're a more casual movie-goer and really don't like movies all that much, then sure you're probably not going to care a whole lot. But for those of us who really like movies and want to watch them in the way they were meant to be seen, pan & scan is verrry bad.

Yeah, its a bit nicer, but having the picture fill the screen is nice too... but still if I bought a DVD I probably would get the widescreen one. It is better...

It doesn't take long to adjust to wide screen after being used to fullscreen most of your life, and you will eventually prefer it over fullscreen. It's just like subtitles in movies. It was a bit distracting at first, but I soon got used to them and started to prefer them over dubbing in almost all cases (the only exceptions being anime like Bebop where the English dub is really good-- but it's always bad for live-action movies).

Subtitles... when I started watching downloaded anime last year I thought it might take a while to get used to the subtitles, but I found it really easy... getting used to widescreen was actually harder. Of course it doesn't help that I don't watch many DVDs so most of what I see is fullscreen, but oh well... I'm used to it now. The three DVDs I did buy I got in widescreen.

Stop supporting fullscreen, foolish man!

Huh? But I said the three DVDs I do own that are available in widescreen (Star Wars eps 1 and 2 and LOTR FOTR SE) are widescreen... its not like I have any control over what I either watch on TV or download from the net (anime, some movies, etc...)... or that Blizzard DVD collection. :)

Never Tape Yourself Being Stupid - Great Rumbler - 11th September 2003

I always by widescreen, pan & scan is poo.