Tendo City
Nintendo wins. Realistic Zelda + NDS is better then you ever imagined - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Nintendo wins. Realistic Zelda + NDS is better then you ever imagined (/showthread.php?tid=1904)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Nintendo wins. Realistic Zelda + NDS is better then you ever imagined - Dark Jaguar - 22nd May 2004

I want to point out there are things I never have an intention of trying to explain, for example things like the bouncing mailboxes that talk to you. That's just video game fun right there, and any explanation would actually make the whole thing WORSE for being explained :D.

Just a note, the games don't tend to explain this away, whether the makers have explanations or not, but consider this. If they DID go out of their way to say stuff like "Ganon, which is but an avatar of his true form", wouldn't that cross the line from "legendary" to "assanine"? Explanations like that don't really need to be explained in-game during the story, and I think that it would in fact hurt the story to have such a thing. Indeed, Lord of the Rings did it right. Tolkein knew that explaning all the bits and pieces during the story would just make it utterly stupid sounding. So, instead save it all for the apendixes, where such things belong. Thus, I submit a master guide that's external to the games where people can read these explanations. A Perfect Work guide so to speak.

Nintendo wins. Realistic Zelda + NDS is better then you ever imagined - A Black Falcon - 22nd May 2004

The bouncing mailboxes are magically enchanted. Either that or small critters live in them. That isn't so hard to explain. :)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Too much story? I don't think that that is possible. Games can't have too much story. They can have badly done story, which makes things seem worse, but if it's well done you really can't have too much... but that's the key. Having it be well done.

If they say it poorly it could indeed sound overdone, but enough games DO explain things that I wouldn't say it's impossible to do. Now, some things, like the electricity, you might be right that it would sound kind of stupid. But explaining how Ganon escaped and what he is? That'd be VERY welcome! Oh, sure, you do want to make the game so that anyone and not just a Zelda veteran can play, but you shouldn't leave such gaping plot holes out there. It wouldn't be too hard to do and would definitely help. And as I said I'm sure that if they wanted to they could find a good way to do it.

You don't need a in-depth explanation and paragraphs of text, but something would be great.

Oh, and your arguement would be a bit stronger if there WERE any kind of appendices for such things as games like this... there aren't...

Nintendo wins. Realistic Zelda + NDS is better then you ever imagined - Dark Jaguar - 22nd May 2004

Those explanations make it WORSE than them just bouncing around for no reason at all! Don't you SEE what I'm saying here?! Can't you comprehend my MEANING behind that statement?!

The other stuff just wouldn't fit. Part of the magic is to sorta let people figure it out on their own, like we are doing now, DURING the process. That Link, hero of winds, his experience is not MEANT to include all that information. It would sorta ruin the mood! He isn't supposed to FULLY comprehend everything that's going on, just enough to know he's got to do SOMETHING.

And um, there ARE such things as what I suggest. They only exist in Japan right now of course. Xenogears has a Perfect Works guide that explains EVERYTHING about the story you could POSSIBLY want explained.

Nintendo wins. Realistic Zelda + NDS is better then you ever imagined - Dark Jaguar - 26th May 2004

This particular link, of which another thread appears to have been made, has my interest. http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200405/N04.0517.1915.59084.htm

Their style, which they have stated before, has always been think of the gameplay idea and work the story into it later. To be honest that's about how all the game ideas I've come up with (that lend themselves to stories) tend to go as well.

So anyway, it would seem the makers place Four Swords at the very start. Wow. Just wow, for nerds like I am. Well then, a Link that Nintendo didn't even MAKE is now the ORIGINAL Link in the storyline! Considering how fun Four Swords is, when you can drag enough people together who don't hate each other, I don't see a problem here. It would seem that Vaati was the ORIGINAL great enemy of the world in Zelda, or before Ganon at least. Anyway, this all seems before the triforce, and rightfully so if you ask me. The very first person to find the thing after all was Ganondorf according to the rest of the game's storylines. The Four Sword would be the legendary blade of evil's bane before the Master Sword was forged. The question arises, what's up with the new Four Swords Adventures taking place in LTTP's world? I'm sure the game will explain it while creating all sorts of new inconsistencies :D. Anyway, seems there's a legend long before OOT to add there. A side story that doesn't seem to affect the main story in any way, but it's part of it. So then, if this quest turns out to be in the actual Zelda universe, I suppose that means they have some idea of where they want to place the Oracle series eh? I wonder when that took place... I was thinking maybe right after Majora's Mask, that Link searching for new adventure, but the Triforce of Power is still with Ganondorf (who is now in a body horribly warped into a pig demon thing I guess), so that can't be it... Oh well, I'll just put it aside for now until there's some more information to figure it out.

It also seems that Four Swords Adventures "went wrong" according to Japan. Well, isn't that reassuring?

On a side note, I've read a lot of "the making of" interviews with someone who ISN'T a victim of bad translation that confuses the American audience, Roberta Williams, another gaming pioneer who made the whole King's Quest series (and then retired after Sierra, the company THEY MADE, took the control of game design away from them, and then died from the inside). It would seem, and from other interviews this doesn't just apply to her, that with game where there's an actual story going on, they actually end up getting attached enough to the characters that they end up coming up with everything from their weight to their favorite color. This interview suggests Miyamoto has all this sort of information in his own head that he just thought would be stupid to put in the games. I know if I spent enough time developing a character, I'd end up coming up with lots of inane and boring details at a certain point, but that's because I'm a huge nerd... Oh wait, these are video game designers...

This new guy didn't like Zelda 1?! Blasphemer! *throws holy acid in face* Oh wait, he gets it now? *wipes acid off, but face sticks to washcloth ala looney toons, then puts rag back on and returns face to owner, but upside down, gets chased through doors in a hallway by guy who is now weilding a samurai sword*

Well anyway, I love the phrase "upending the tea table" because it makes me think of that one episode of Family Guy where Stewy is disgusted at the food his mom makes him and suddenly throws it all to the floor and shouts "MAKE IT AGAIN!". It's funnier to watch that of course, in my mind.

This fellow seems to be actively trying to fix the little errrors, one game at a time, whenever it's appropriate to do so. Goody. Anyway, I shall look forward to the new GCN Zelda, not the Four Swords Adventure one mind you (thought I want that too), you know, the other one, the one that's totally awesome.

Shadow Link seems to be the "first evil" for this story. That's cool... that's cool, but I wonder if Shadow Link is created by Vaati, or is another evil that is battling with Vaati. The latter would be better I think, because Zelda hasn't really done that yet, but the first has been done a couple times. Is hypothesizing and then finding out you are right the same as revealing spoilers to others? Hmm... we'll see... Back on topic, Shadow Link is one of my favorite villians (if he's a villian here). However, OOT didn't really do him justice. He was just a miniboss in a standard dungeon. Yes, a cool miniboss, but I think he should have been in Ganon's Tower, or better yet, a hidden boss in a hidden dungeon that you find and fight just for the challenge of it. Maybe Miyamoto had originally intended that, but time grew short and they had to put that room with him somewhere, so they picked the Water Palace. Eh, he's still cool and all.

Heh, he can't even remember what unlockable secrets they put in the game! I imagine that would be the case every now and then with the hectic titles :D.

It also seems from this interview that yes, the new Zelda game will be using the same Link as Wind Waker... at least it's a VERY strong hint to that.

Anyway, it's all cool.

Nintendo wins. Realistic Zelda + NDS is better then you ever imagined - A Black Falcon - 26th May 2004

Quote:I'm sure the game will explain it while creating all sorts of new inconsistencies .

Of course, DJ, of course... :)

They said that the GC FS game is set right after the GBA one, right? So despite its LttP look, it's also supposedly set long before OoT...

Oh, and is this the WW Link? Like with most of this, it depends on how far you trust the translators... :) I mean, the quotes we saw that said that 'we weren't lying about this being WW2, really' also had to be translated, like the 'LttP comes after LoZ!"... ...

Nintendo wins. Realistic Zelda + NDS is better then you ever imagined - Dark Jaguar - 26th May 2004

Yes indeed....

Anyway, I mean that FSA seems to actually be set in the LTTP WORLD. Even if it's still long before OOT, it's in the same place from what I've heard and seen.

Nintendo wins. Realistic Zelda + NDS is better then you ever imagined - A Black Falcon - 26th May 2004

Yes, it's in Hyrule... :D

The LTTP Hyrule though... Oh well, actually that's not really a big deal.

Just one more thing to mess with continuity a bit, but at this point does one more thing hurt much?

Nintendo wins. Realistic Zelda + NDS is better then you ever imagined - Dark Jaguar - 27th May 2004

Perhaps, but actually, this could really help explain some things... I won't go into detail until AFTER FSA proves my assumptions wrong though... :D

Nintendo wins. Realistic Zelda + NDS is better then you ever imagined - A Black Falcon - 27th May 2004

That probably is a good idea.