Tendo City
my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) (/showthread.php?tid=2945)

Pages: 1 2 3

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Great Rumbler - 24th May 2005

You know what? I just decided that I don't even really care about all this stuff anymore. I won't be leaving TC entirely, I think, but I'm already in the process of moving on from here. As I said to OB1 a few minutes ago, all this has left a bitter taste in my mouth and posting just doesn't seem like it's a fun as it used to be. I'll still stop by ever so often to see what's going on, but I don't think I'll be as regular a poster as I used to be.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - EdenMaster - 24th May 2005

What? What the hell is happening here? Since when is OB1 the only reason people stayed here? Am I missing something? His annoying, abrasive, and arrogant comments somehow made this a better place?

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Great Rumbler - 24th May 2005

Dunno

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Smoke - 24th May 2005

Wow. Impose one tiny rule and all of a sudden it's Nazism and the return of ice-9.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 24th May 2005

Look everyone, I think it's best to lay off OB1 right now. Namely, don't bring it up with GR.

GR, don't leave. Don't "move on", please. You are an important link here in our chain of memories, for example those comics of yours. Seriously, stick around! We like ya, and I have a feeling you like us too! So stick around! I promise it'll be worth your while!

I haven't left yet.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - A Black Falcon - 24th May 2005

GR, there's such a thing as taking friendship too far... and leaving just because OB1 was irrational and quit is going too far.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 24th May 2005

There's a much... um... friendlier way to put that :D.

Anyway, I think I see where GR might be going with that. Okay, so am I to take it you will stick around for a while to see if you still want to stay here? If so, I'll do what I can to convince you to stay.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Great Rumbler - 25th May 2005

I'm not just going to abandon TC without thinking long and hard about it. Over the next few weeks I'll see how things turn out here and then I'll decide where I want to go from there.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Undertow - 25th May 2005

Smoke-X Wrote:Wow. Impose one tiny rule and all of a sudden it's Nazism and the return of ice-9.

Only Indiana Jones can squelch this nazi menace! I mean, what the fuck ryan? What's next, gestapo papers? I DEMAND ADMIN POWERS TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT MYSELF.

Hold on, someone's tracing my call. If I don't report back in an hour Ryan has got me tied in a basement. Don't bother sending help, I'll already be dead. GREAT RUMBLER CAN HAVE MY PLASMA TELE...*transmission out*

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Great Rumbler - 25th May 2005

Plasma tele...phone?

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Undertow - 25th May 2005

telebridge.

Oh, okay.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Weltall - 25th May 2005

I'll be taking that, actually.

*evil laughter*

Old Man Persona: *bangs ceiling with stick* Quiet down, willya?

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - The Former DMiller - 25th May 2005

teletubbie

televangelist

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Weltall - 25th May 2005

teleprompter

telemundo

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 25th May 2005

I'm getting flashbacks of The Dig...

Really?

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 25th May 2005

Ever play that game?

Well what I'm remembering is when I activate an alien device and create a literal light bridge. From that point on, when you talk to this one girl, you just keep talking about all manner of OTHER alien light based tech, like a lighthouse, for example, and it goes on like that...

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - A Black Falcon - 25th May 2005

I played the beginning of it, it's pretty good... I don't know why it got some bad press (or maybe "dissapointing" would be a better term, rather than 'bad'), looked like it was great...

... though, of course it's great. It's a Lucasarts adventure game. The only non-great one is the last one, Monkey Island 4... and that one was good.

Yeah, I've played The Dig, but not in a while.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 2nd June 2005

Well thanks to this thread I got interested in making The Dig work again. Thanks to DosBox, and some patience, it is.

On another note I couldn't get Wing Commander 4 working even with that. Fortunatly, I found out EA has a little known FTP site where they host patches for Origins games, and one of those "patches" is actually WC4 for Windows, well it's a windows executable that uses the DOS game's files so you still need to have the original game. Point is, now not only is WC4 working, it's working flawlessly.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Great Rumbler - 2nd June 2005

DosBox? Phhht! ScummVm is where its at. All Lucasarts Dos adventure games almost perfectly emulated. DosBox. Haha.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 2nd June 2005

I picked it because it does more than Lucasarts games, like for example it's the only emulator I've found so far that lets me play Kingdom O' Magic.

But I'll give Scumm a try... sounds like it ONLY works on Lucasarts games, what with it being named after the Lucasarts engine of old.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Great Rumbler - 2nd June 2005

Yes, it works only with Lucasarts games, but it emulates them all just about perfectly with almost no work. You just select the drive the game is on and that's pretty much all you have to do.

So you are plugging it for it's... ease of use?

Sorry, DosBox emulates The Dig perfectly as it is. I just created a shortcut to automatically start it instantly with all the settings already configured, and I don't need to mess with it again.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Great Rumbler - 3rd June 2005

If you have a lot of Lucasarts adventure games, ScummVm is much easier to use..

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - A Black Falcon - 3rd June 2005

If you have even one Lucasarts adventure, Scummvm is better. And not just because it's easier to use, but because it's got better, faster emulation of the games, with a lot less fiddling with settings required... I like DOSBox, but it runs a lot of newer DOS titles quite slowly.

SCUMMVM is indeed mostly for Lucasarts titles, but it also runs the Simon the Sorcerer adventure games, as well as Revolution Softworks stuff (Broken Sword, etc).

SCUMMVM also has two free (made freeware games by their authors!) -- one mediocre adventure game by ... somebody or other... and the great Beneath a Steel Sky, from Revolution. They only run in SCUMMVM, and I'd definitely recommend getting BASS off (the SCUMMVM website)...

I do use DOSBox, but only for a couple of games. Most of my games work in Windows (remember, I've got ME and a SBLive with DOS SB emulation, so it's much more compatible with DOS games than XP is), and of the others SCUMMVM runs a couple, but there are some games that only DOSBox runs... and while some (Master of Magic, Wizardry VI, Shadowlands, and others) work fine, others ... well, let's just say that it does not run them fast enough yet. Oh, you can play them, but they're slow... (Betrayal at Krondor, Highway Hunter, The Elder Scrolls: Arena (weirdly, DOSBox actually runs the Daggerfall demo faster than it runs Arena...), and some others) Still, though, DOSBox is a great program. And I'm sure that if I had a faster computer fewer of those games would be problems. :)

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 3rd June 2005

I have 98, and all of those Creative sound cards have DOS drivers for SB16 emulation.

However if I can get a game working perfectly in XP, I'll do it.

That said, AS I SAID, DosBox currently runs The Dig AND Kingdom O Magic flawlessly. I already have shortcuts that are already perfectly set up. I don't need to customize any more. The fact that I had to do so once has never been a deal breaker, ever.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - A Black Falcon - 3rd June 2005

No, I thought I'd heard that Audigy doesn't have SB16 emulation, and that's the SB card used now...

And DJ, did you read all of my post? Free, legal, Beneath a Steel Sky should get you to go get SCUMMVM if nothing else does...

http://www.scummvm.org

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 3rd June 2005

I have an Audigy myself and yes, it does have SB16 emulation. That's why I said that.

As for the free games, yeah I read it, but I'm not all that interested just yet. Are they any good or what? Never heard of them...

As it stands I wasn't going to download it just for one game that works fine already. I dunno, I'll give it a try some time, but I'm not interested right now.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Great Rumbler - 3rd June 2005

ScummVm is awesome.

Quote:I have an Audigy myself and yes, it does have SB16 emulation. That's why I said that.

Then why have I heard it doesn't? Is it just XP then?

Quote:As for the free games, yeah I read it, but I'm not all that interested just yet. Are they any good or what? Never heard of them...

As it stands I wasn't going to download it just for one game that works fine already. I dunno, I'll give it a try some time, but I'm not interested right now.

You do have more than one DOS Lucasarts adventure game, right?

Also, now that they've gotten most of the Lucasarts titles down, they're expanding... Revolution, Humongous (kids adventure games), now their website says that they're starting on the Gobliins series (published by Sierra)...

I just find it easier to use this... yeah, I can see why you wouldn't want to change for something that works perfectly, but I found that DOSBox didn't run some them as well (Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle for instance). And it definitely took fiddling with the settings... something you've solved with a special executable. But get SCUMMVM just for BASS, then... it really IS a great game. The other free one (Flight of the Amazon Queen) is much more average (read: mediocre), but BASS is great... definitely recommended.

Oh, on Revolution's page you can get one other game free too... also not as good as BASS, but still, who can argue with free adventure games? :)

GR: did you download BASS? If no, do.

I haven't yet.

Well gee willickers, if "BASS" is as good as you say, I may just end up getting this.

Oh and, yes it really is just XP that has those sound issues... Without true DOS anywhere to be found in it, the DOS drivers don't do jack. That's most of the reason I have 98 installed as an alternate OS on startup. The rest is that there are even a few really old windows games that won't operate correctly in XP (mainly Sierra).

Oh and, actually I have ONE other Lucasarts game, that Indianna Jones one. Unfortunatly, I can't find it. That's it though...

At any rate, what I'd really like is to find the Windows version of The Dig somewheres... Well, I'm not in a rush or anything when it runs fine as is, but still...

Beneath a Steel Sky -- It's not the best adventure game ever, but it's good, and there aren't that many futuristic/cyberworld adventures out there... but it's free, which makes it better. :) And it actually is good... the main annoyances come from the fact that you can be killed (kind of like a Sierra adventure game -- though some of them are very, very obvious. I mean, what SHOULD the game do if you walk up to a nuclear reactor and open the protection doors?) and the kind of annoying 'online world' segment. Don't let that stop you from getting it, though. Overall, it's quite a good game that'd be worth it had I payed for it, much less for free. Anyone who likes Sierra or Lucasarts adventure games will love it.

Flight of the Amazon Queen... not the worst game ever, but let's just say that I wouldn't have wanted to pay for it. :)

Quote:Oh and, yes it really is just XP that has those sound issues... Without true DOS anywhere to be found in it, the DOS drivers don't do jack. That's most of the reason I have 98 installed as an alternate OS on startup. The rest is that there are even a few really old windows games that won't operate correctly in XP (mainly Sierra).

I'd probably want to do the same, because XP DOS emulation just isn't good enough, and stuff like VDMSound, DOSBox, and SCUMMVM can't do everything... (such as the WINDOWS games that XP isn't compatible with... sure, they don't all work in 98/ME either (if it's a speed/power problem), but some do!)

Quote:Oh and, actually I have ONE other Lucasarts game, that Indianna Jones one. Unfortunatly, I can't find it. That's it though...

There are two Indy adventure games, DJ. :) The first one, which is based on one of the movies, and is alright, and the second one, Fate of Atlantis, which is really, really awesome (especially on CD...).

Quote:At any rate, what I'd really like is to find the Windows version of The Dig somewheres... Well, I'm not in a rush or anything when it runs fine as is, but still...

I don't think there is one... or rather, if there is one I've never heard of it.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Darunia - 19th June 2005

YOU MEAN I MISSED MY OPPORTUNITY TO GET BACK AT OB1 FOR ALL THE STUPIC BELLICOSE SHIT HE PUT ME THROUGH!? Why didn't anyone IM me and let me know what was going on?

*crickets chirping*

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Great Rumbler - 19th June 2005

Now you'll just have to settle for email.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 19th June 2005

Well the only reason I know about the windows version is I was checking Lucasart's website for patches for Grim Fandango and decided to search for one for the rest of my Lucasarts games while I was at it. When I checked out "The Dig" they had seperate sections for the DOS version and the Windows version. From the description, apparently the Windows version was only released as part of a small collection.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - A Black Falcon - 19th June 2005

Quote:YOU MEAN I MISSED MY OPPORTUNITY TO GET BACK AT OB1 FOR ALL THE STUPIC BELLICOSE SHIT HE PUT ME THROUGH!?

Yup.

Quote:Well the only reason I know about the windows version is I was checking Lucasart's website for patches for Grim Fandango and decided to search for one for the rest of my Lucasarts games while I was at it. When I checked out "The Dig" they had seperate sections for the DOS version and the Windows version. From the description, apparently the Windows version was only released as part of a small collection.

... actually, I think I have heard of it... only released in Europe, or something like that, I believe (and yes, in a collection)? But who cares, when SCUMMVM runs the DOS version perfectly...

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - EdenMaster - 19th June 2005

Darunia Wrote:YOU MEAN I MISSED MY OPPORTUNITY TO GET BACK AT OB1 FOR ALL THE STUPIC BELLICOSE SHIT HE PUT ME THROUGH!?

Sorry, big guy. It all happened so fast that it was over nearly as quickly as it started.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 20th June 2005

Though it did take two pages....

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Darunia - 20th June 2005

There are two Indy adventure games, DJ. The first one, which is based on one of the movies, and is alright, and the second one, Fate of Atlantis, which is really, really awesome (especially on CD...).

That "First one" was based on the Last Crusade, and came out simultaneously or just after the movie did in 1989. It was a great game, I remember playing it that long back. It was one of the first computer games I ever got into... what I wouldn't do to get a copy of it again that would work on a modern computer!

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - A Black Falcon - 20th June 2005

Darunia, if you ever find a copy (at this point, it'd have to be abandonware or used on ebay or something), just use SCUMMVM, like you should for all DOS Lucasarts adventure games... :)

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Darunia - 20th June 2005

My chances are slim to none, but if I ever do recover a copy, I'll be sure and do that. Thanks.