Tendo City
TendoCity Awards! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: TendoCity Awards! (/showthread.php?tid=2586)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

TendoCity Awards! - OB1 - 10th March 2005

And I can't stress how important it is to be a regular watcher of the show. In last sunday's episode, for instance, there was this subtle, throwaway line by Henry Winkler's character that referred to a hilarious plot point from several episodes ago. There's little stuff like that all over the place in every episode. More jokes per show than any other comedy series I've ever seen. That's one of the reasons why I can watch the same episode half a dozen times in a row and still laugh my ass off. There's always stuff that even I missed. So Arrested Development is definitely more serialized than any American sitcom out there, which makes it more like a BBC show like The Office or Red Dwarf.

TendoCity Awards! - Great Rumbler - 10th March 2005

I like how at the end of each episode it has preview of the next episode where it shows a bunch of stuff that doesn't happen in the next episode. :D

Yeah, it's mainly used to wrap up plot points, or make new ones for the next episode.

I can't wait for the second season to come out on DVD.

bittorrent is your friend.

TendoCity Awards! - Dark Jaguar - 10th March 2005

Okay I guess... I'll watch the next 5 episodes before making a final judgement. That should be enough continuity.

Not really. I suggest you stop watching the new season entirely, and just rent the first dvd. You've missed a ton of stuff and still won't get most of the jokes.

That's one of the reasons I haven't watched the second season, because I already missed a bunch of it. The other reason being that I keep forgetting.

TendoCity Awards! - deanna - 10th March 2005

wow...you just have to know how much i love posting here and being a Newbie while i'm at it

... what?

.. say what?

Hey you edited your post.

yeah, i edited that one too ^^

What?

You dastardly fellow!

i'm not a fellow, but...ok, whatever

Hey, guy. Whatever.

i'm a girl...

Yeah, I know.

:(

What this time?

Okay, I guess if I ever get the chance, I'll just watch the very first episode, or 3, whatever...

Honestly, I don't like comedy that depends entirely on "dude, remember that, they referenced it! the creators remember the stuff they did in the past!". I mean, it may not be like that, I'll decide then, but I've seen stuff like that and it's not exactly comedy I find that... comedic...

Like what?

Well... namely when movies try to outdo themselves by referencing their own jokes in later movies. I dunno... examples.... nuts I can't think of much except some movies that didn't depend on it like Austion Powers... Or, like in the Daily Show where they, as of late, are just referencing their old jokes (the constant "or... NAMBLA" thing) It's like topical humor only the topic is yourself. And, I hate topical humor.

I don't think AD really has any topical humor...well, George did have dealings with Saddam, but that doesn't really count.

There's barely any topical humor in AD at all.

You're just used to American sitcoms, DJ. British ones (aka the superior ones) which continue stories from episode to episode rather than being stand-alones, do that all of the time. It makes for a very rewarding experience.

TendoCity Awards! - Sacred Jellybean - 10th March 2005

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Well... namely when movies try to outdo themselves by referencing their own jokes in later movies. I dunno... examples.... nuts I can't think of much except some movies that didn't depend on it like Austion Powers... Or, like in the Daily Show where they, as of late, are just referencing their old jokes (the constant "or... NAMBLA" thing) It's like topical humor only the topic is yourself. And, I hate topical humor.

How about Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back? That movie was one big orgy of references to past Kevin Smith pictures.

I'd bet my left nut that DJ did not see that movie. Or like it.

Wait a second. DJ hates topical humor but watches The Daily Show?

Quote:You're just used to American sitcoms, DJ. British ones (aka the superior ones) which continue stories from episode to episode rather than being stand-alones, do that all of the time. It makes for a very rewarding experience.

Yeah, there's a lot of cool British sitcoms. Like Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf, Last of the Summer Winde, Are You Being Served?, Keeping Up Appearances, and all those other shows they have on PBS. Red Green is a hilarious show, but that's Canadian.

Don't forget about The Office!

I haven't seen it, but like some many other things, my brother has the first season and so someday I will borrow it from him.

There's only like twelve episodes, total, of the entire series. Six per "season". Plus the long holiday special.

Okay.

I actually haven't watched a sitcom since Seinfeld... And I've seen some British sitcoms... Well, not many, but I watched Mr Bean. Now THAT'S comedy! HAHAHAHAHA! Good joke sir!

Yes, Mr. Bean is among the best!

Right, I forgot about him.

Mr. Bean: Magic!

Funny that you like Mr. Bean, though, since the entire show is just "sight gags and "wow that's a weird situation they got themselves in" comedy." Even though AD isn't that. ;)

I just noticed that Wonder Years comment, btw. Lol So any show with a narrator is a parody or rip off of Wonder Years?? You're so silly, DJ.

The part where Mr. Bean gets the turkey stuck on his head was one of the funniest things ever.

Indeed. Mr. Bean is probably the most popular comedy in the world, since literally anyone can enjoy it. No matter where you go in Europe, everyone you meet is a fan. Just about. :)

He seems to do that a lot...

And ya know, yeah come to think of it I do like that sort of stuff when done right. I love Family Guy because it does it while at the same time making fun of it. Still, I just don't like that show. I really don't know why... It just seems so... clinical... Not at all original...

No matter, as I said that's just from one episode. I suppose I can't judge the whole series from one episode... can I OB1?

OB1: No you can't.

DJ: You did notice the... the whole joke there right?

OB1: Yeah, you were making fun of yourself.

DJ: Um...

GR: No OB1... that's not what DJ means at all. Just... just read the oldboy thread...

I said that I liked Kino though.

Arrested Development is the funniest, most well written, acted, and original comedy on tv today. You just need to give it a chance, and to do that you need to start from the beginning. Missing 90% of the jokes isn't going to make for a very funny experience.

TendoCity Awards! - lazyfatbum - 11th March 2005

I'm the favorite AND you want me in fire for 5 minutes?

...Post song lyrics and!!!!!!!!!

I am the very model of a modern Major-General, I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral, I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical; I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical, I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical, About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news, With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus; I know the scientific names of beings animalculous: In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral, I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's; I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox, I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus, In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous;

I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies, I know the croaking chorus from the Frogs of Aristophanes! Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore, And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore.

Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform, And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform: In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral, I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin", When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin, When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at, And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat", When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery, When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery-- In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy, You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee.

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury, Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century; But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral, I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

OB1 IS A FAG WHO GOBBLES COCK

[Image: faggot3.jpg]

CAPITAL 'F'

[Image: FAGGOT.31570.full.jpg]

CAPITAL 'A'

[Image: 2euros.jpg]

CAPITAL 'G'

*kisses Dark Jaguar*

TendoCity Awards! - Geno - 11th March 2005

:S :D

TendoCity Awards! - Great Rumbler - 11th March 2005

Erm

TendoCity Awards! - Sacred Jellybean - 11th March 2005

lazyfatbum: the next time I'm drunk, you and me need to have a rap-off showdown. (I'm not as creative when I'm sober)

Quote:Yeah, there's a lot of cool British sitcoms. Like Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf, Last of the Summer Winde, Are You Being Served?, Keeping Up Appearances, and all those other shows they have on PBS. Red Green is a hilarious show, but that's Canadian.

Don't forget The Young Ones! That show's hilarious, especially in it's second season.

Quote:Post song lyrics and!!!!!!!!!

so you dont want to hear about my good song?
and you dont want to hear about how i am getting on
with all the things that i can get done
the sun is in the sky & i am by my lonesome
so you don't want to hear about my good day?
you have better things to do than to hear me say

god its been a lovely day! everything is going my way
i took out the trash today and i'm on fire...

so you don't want to hear about my good friends?
you dont have the guts to take the truth or consequence
success is in the eye of the beholder
and its looking even better over your cold shoulder

i'm not suggesting you up and line me up for questioning
but jesus think about the bridges you are burning
and i'm betting
that even though you knew it from the start
you'd rather be a bitch than be an ordinary broken heart

so go ahead and talk about your bad day...
i want all the details of the pain and misery
that you are inflicting on the others
i consider them my sisters and i'd like their numbers

god its been a lovely day! everything is going my way
i took up croquet today and i'm on fire

i picked up the pieces of my broken ego
i have finally made my peace as far as you and me go
but i'd love to have you up to see the place
& i'd like to do more than survive i'd like to rub it in your face.....

hey! its been a lovely day! everything is going my way
i had so much fun today and i'm on fire
god it's been a lovely day everything's been going my way
ever since you went away hey i'm on fire.....
i'm on fire...
i'm on fire...
so you dont want to hear about my good day?

TendoCity Awards! - deanna - 11th March 2005

did you make that up ^?

TendoCity Awards! - OB1 - 11th March 2005

Erm

Nahh, that's from the Dresden Dolls song "good day".