Tendo City
Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) (/showthread.php?tid=2239)

Pages: 1 2 3

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Dark Jaguar - 10th October 2004

Kingdom O' Magic actually has very dull and uninspired art. The comedy makes up for it, and the actual animations and settings are done well as far as comedy, but the artistic style is dull early CG era stuff. I have a feeling the concept art was better. I still hope they remake the game so that it can actually be PLAYED again :D.

Monkey Island 3's art style is very much like KQ7's, as ABF may very well have noticed. MI3 does have more frames of animation though, having been made later and being on two disks and all.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 10th October 2004

I wouldn't say that they are that similar. KQVII is a cartoonish in a more 'cartoon film' style... hence all the Disney comparisons. I wouldn't quite call MI3 that same style. It is also definitely cartoonish, but it is a noticably different style. Much more obviously humorous, for one... and ... well, it's just better. :)

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Dark Jaguar - 10th October 2004

I know what you mean, but I meant like, the backgrounds are watercolors.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 10th October 2004

True, but the art style is quite different... even I can tell that. :D

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 11th October 2004

Quote:[quote]I'd say Rayman 3 wasn't quite as good because it just copied Rayman 2 (and not quite as successfully), while Rayman 2 was new and different... but Ancel wasn't behind Rayman 3 so that isn't too surprising. They just copied past success in gameplay as well. Anyway, French games have a reputation for good graphics, often weird stuff, and also often poor gameplay... at least they used to... don't know how true the gameplay part is, but the art one often is true.

I wasn't talking about Rayman 3. The only Ancel games I've played with really good art are Rayman 2 and to a greater extent BG&E. Rayman 1 looked pretty good, but not outstanding.

Quote:True, but the art style is quite different... even I can tell that.

Yeah the KQ games don't look half as good as the MI games. And watercolor is not a style of art, per say. You can make very realistic or very unrealistic art with watercolors, just like you can with colored pencils, oil paints, pastels, etc. And only some of that KQ stuff was done with watercolors.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 11th October 2004

The artwork in KQVII is good, but not great... like the game as a whole really. Decent to good, but not great... MI3 blows it away in every category.

And I know you weren't talking about Rayman 3 but it's in the same series so it should be mentioned... and as I said, while it has decent graphics and art it definitely does not compare to Rayman 2 and when it does it's largely derivitive... As for Rayman 1, it looks quite good. Not as good as Rayman 2 perhaps, but really nice for a sidescroller...

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 12th October 2004

Rayman 1 doesn't look nearly as good as Rayman 2. It was very clear that Ancel and his team really found their stride with Rayman 2. I can't wait to see his next game.