Tendo City
Favorite WOT book? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Favorite WOT book? (/showthread.php?tid=781)

Pages: 1 2

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 9th February 2004

Favorite WOT book? - Weltall - 9th February 2004

I seriously, in the case of WOT, hope that there are very few loose ends left at the end of the series. To leave many loose ends on a story this complex would be a travesty. Since the Last Battle will, for better or worse, change the world very dramatically (it's the end of the world as we know it, baby!) it would be a shame to leave too many threads untied for the sake of mystery or interpretation after it's done, especially for a story that arguably thrives on it.

Of course, I would not like to see these ends tied by way of cheap deaths or deus-ex-machina devices either. But I don't think Jordan would do that.

Favorite WOT book? - Great Rumbler - 9th February 2004

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Heard of it, not really interested. Something about living luggage saying it's time's problem that it takes a long time to catch up to some wizard or something... No thanks.

Having read a total of 9 Discworld books I can tell you that the series is one of THE BEST fantasy series out there. Not only are they very funny and satirical they also have good storylines and great characters.

Quote:I seriously, in the case of WOT, hope that there are very few loose ends left at the end of the series. To leave many loose ends on a story this complex would be a travesty. Since the Last Battle will, for better or worse, change the world very dramatically (it's the end of the world as we know it, baby!) it would be a shame to leave too many threads untied for the sake of mystery or interpretation after it's done, especially for a story that arguably thrives on it.

Of course, I would not like to see these ends tied by way of cheap deaths or deus-ex-machina devices either. But I don't think Jordan would do that.

I agree. I like having stories actually *end* in the end, and not just have some 'well more stuff happened maybe and there are other plot points we didn't end but good enough you guess what happened now'... I like an ending. :) Of course there can't really be a permanant ending in this story, but at least wrap up all the plot points...

And as for Discworld, it's great both as humor and as fantasy... and does a great job of both...

I have the Discworld Playstation game!

I thought the only Discworld games were the two old PC graphic adventures...

A Black Falcon Wrote:I thought the only Discworld games were the two old PC graphic adventures...

I can't say with certainty but there are two Discworld games on PSX, both graphical adventures, and both very likely PC ports. :)

Graphic adventures?

Point and click. Think Maniac Mansion.

Same games then, I'm sure. Haven't played them, but heard they were very, very hard with extremely weird puzzles with nonsensical solutions...

(hint: "graphic adventure" is the name of the subgenre Maniac Mansion is in)

It IS a very hard game, and you are correct, the puzzles have absolutely no logic to them at all. You have to be extremely imaginative to figure it out.

Also supposedly it has a LOT of in-jokes with the book series.

Still, I like the books so someday I should try to find them...

Favorite WOT book? - Dark Jaguar - 9th February 2004

I have a friend who is ALWAYS playing some text based multiplayer RPG of some kind that came out only recently or something. This person is ALWAYS telling me these STUPID jokes that pretty much tell me the humor is not something I'd like. Too much "this is how a BRITISH person would say it, totally!" jokes. I mean, yeah I can see how a joke along the lines of "the head seemed to hang in mid air after being severed, but then gravity had something to say about that" would be funny at first, or every once in a while, but when EVERY SINGLE JOKE (it seems from how this person tells me it) is in that EXACT SAME "casual observance of the obsurd" style, well, it's ALREADY gotten too old to be funny ever again.

Other than the fact that Terry Pratchett is British, do you have a point? Well other than the fact that you're basing your opinions on a distinct lack of fact...

I wouldn't say that the humor is especially British despite that fact, though.

British comedy is hilarious.

Yes.

And BTW, it's not "this is how a British person would say it". The author is British. :)

Yes, he is.

Favorite WOT book? - Dark Jaguar - 9th February 2004

I love British humor, but NOT the idea of the EXACT SAME joke formula recycled to the ends of the universe as seems to be the case. Perhaps this person is only quoting those kinds of jokes. Probably the case, this particular human is terrible at quoting jokes or even picking the right joke to quote. If they are all "something massively silly happens, then narrator states some force of nature casually disagrees with the ridiculous thing", then I'll hate it.

I don't know how to describe the humor... but read one. They aren't particularly long... though it is a series and it makes more sense if you start in some places, most of the books work okay stand alone...

Favorite WOT book? - alien space marine - 10th February 2004

WTF ! is WOT?

Favorite WOT book? - A Black Falcon - 10th February 2004

If you don't know you don't deserve to. :D

Favorite WOT book? - Weltall - 16th October 2005

I think I may be forced to re-evaluate. Eye is still one of the best, but Knife of Dreams was so fantastic, so much better than I thought it would be. It's seriously contending for top billing in my eyes. A re-read or two may determine.

Favorite WOT book? - -iLluSiON- - 16th October 2005

They've announced the WOT movie!!!!!1

www.ytmnd.com/article/2985