Tendo City
Fall 2010 Anime - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Fall 2010 Anime (/showthread.php?tid=5976)

Pages: 1 2

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 8th December 2010

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 8th December 2010

Quote:... Yeah, that doesn't sound like fun, does it...

Life's not always sunshine and daffodils. It's not a downer ending though.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 12th December 2010

Fall 2010 Anime - etoven - 12th December 2010

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 12th December 2010

Quote:Certainly true, but that show focuses a lot on the negatives, and much less on happy things, I think...

Oh, ABF. Lol

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 12th December 2010

There are ways to add depth to a series other than just making it more depressing.

Quote:There was a awesome Full Metal Alchemists on the last night, (A old episode).

Are they still replaying the orignal series? I remember what I watched of that being good, but haven't watched the remake version, Brotherhood, yet. Evidently it's more true to the manga than the first anime was.

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 12th December 2010

Quote:There are ways to add depth to a series other than just making it more depressing.

But your comments so far seem to indicate that the series would be way better if every episode were completely lighthearted and fun. I just think that's ridiculous, the story is good because it shows how space and space travel can be amazing and inspiring things but also how the greed/arrogance/ignorance of humanity can turn those things into something sad and oppressive as well. It's not like it's just a dark, depressing [at times] for no reason.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 13th December 2010

Um, what? That's not what I said at all. Recall that I called Planetes' one attempt so far at a comedy-centric episode, episode 6 (the episode with the self-styled western ninjas on the moon) the worst episode of the 10 I've seen. I didn't say I want more of that at all.

Quote:the story is good because it shows how space and space travel can be amazing and inspiring things but also how the greed/arrogance/ignorance of humanity can turn those things into something sad and oppressive as well. It's not like it's just a dark, depressing [at times] for no reason.

I agree with that. But when episode after episode after episode is about bleak stories about people dying, it certainly can affect how much I like a show... and also I don't think the show is amazing, optimistic parts or sad. It's alright, I like some things about it and dislike others, but it's not great anime. More interesting than your average shows in some ways, sure, but it's got plenty of problems too.

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 13th December 2010

7-10 are episodes focused somewhat more on the darker side of space travel and space, episodes 11-15 towards more fun/hopeful things. 16-20 have a bit of both, but are more general than the others. 21-24 swing back towards darker, more depressing things. Then 25 and 26 return to the series hopeful/optimistic tone.

There, now you know that not every single episode is a trudge through the bowels of human negativity.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 21st December 2010

Milky Holmes 11 - Awww.... expelled, I feel pretty bad for them... :( And now they broke up, too. The three villain guys are happy and think they won, but Arsene of course is mad, and decides to go on a giant thieving spree to try to get them to get their powers back or something.

Then we see the girls of Milky Holmes, now failing at other jobs (Sherlock is a waitress in a ramen shop, Cordelia is trying to sell flowers, Nero to tell fortunes, Hercule trying to sell books of her own poetry...). Funny stuff, this is a pretty good episode. Sherlock gathers them to try to stop Arsene and the gang.

And then Arsene reveals her "true plan"... she has Henriette tied up over Grand Yokohama Gorge, and she'll cut one rope an hour, because if she kills her then she'll take over Yokohama for the Gentleman Thieves... or that's what 'she' says, but of course it's just a plan to draw in Milky Holmes (and a pretty funny scene after that little bit... :lol). But they're not detectives anymore, so they don't go... Sherlock wants to but can't convince the others. G4 (the police girls) go to try to beat the villain guys, but get crushed. Kokoro's even turned into a doll. So after some drama Milky Holmes finally show up... and the thief guys ignore them, thinking them useless as usual. :lol

And then, at the end, Milky Holmes get their powers back! Awesome, they defeat the surprised guys. Next time, the final (probably) battle between Arsene and Sherlock, she wanted to fight Sherlock at full power (I'm skipping some stuff, don't want to spoil everything, watch the episode! :)). Overall, great episode, another one of the better ones in this series.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 22nd December 2010

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 22nd December 2010

2010 Top Five:

1. Panty and Stocking
2. Soredemo Machi
3. House of Five Leaves
4. Angel Beats
5. Working!!

Special Achievement Award: Tatami Galaxy

Nostalgia Award: Cobra the Animation

Best Animation Awards: Panty and Stocking [but only certain episodes], Durarara!!, and Occult Academy

Biggest Disappointment Award: Occult Academy

Guilty Pleasure Award: High School of the Dead, Cobra the Animation

Guilty Shame Awards: Asobi ni Ikuyo, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, B Gata H Kei, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Chu-Bra, Ladies versus Butlers, and Yosuga no Sora

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 22nd December 2010

... Ah yes, Panty & Stocking should have been on my list too. Not sure where, maybe a "Crazy" genre category or something for it? :)

Also, as for biggest disappointment, the entire summer season. Didn't get past three episodes of any show from that season, and that one I did watch three episodes of was the pretty disappointing Occult Academy.

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 22nd December 2010

Summer was the worst season this year, yes.

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 24th December 2010

GAINAX TROLL ENDING CONFIRMED!!!

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 24th December 2010

Which show do you mean? Panty & Stocking? There's going to be another season, yes?

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 24th December 2010

There's only one Gainax show going right now.

And the more I think about it, the more I think that the "To be continued in next season." is really just a part of their trolling and not actually an announcement of a second season.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 24th December 2010

Really, you think? I don't know, I hope not, it deserves more. :)

Pani Poni Dash 04-05 -- This show is so awesome... very funny, definitely reminding me more and more of Excel Saga, but different. I still don't think it's quite as good as Excel Saga (it's got that "notes all over the screen a lot of the time" thing going on too, like that show, I don't know if I've watched a show I have to pause as often as I do this one since Excel Saga), but it's pretty good. Lots of great humor here.

I still say the cast is maybe too large though, there have to be like 20 major characters, maybe more...

In ep. 5, they're all on a school camping trip, wearing gym shirts and pants. It's amazing how much more "normal" they look to me wearing pants than the usual schoolgirl uniforms... though of course they're still all dressed the same (excepting the teachers) so it's not really that normal (for me I mean).

... On that note, I doubt anyone would be surprised if I said I dislike the idea of schools having uniforms. I know though, in Japan the goal is to make everyone the same, standing out is bad... as an American I disagree with that philosophy. But anyway.

Back to the show, these were great episodes. This show's really good. There's so much random, funny humor... kappas in the woods, shooting rockets off into space? What? :lol Weird humor, but definitely funny. Some things work less well than others, but the majority's good stuff for sure.

... Ichijo, crazy or evil? I guess the joke is "nothing she does actually helps", but when what she's doing is offering poisoned food to people or something, that's going beyond just being unhelpful... :lol And of course she's the class rep somehow, too. I wonder how she won that vote... :lol The fact her eyes are drawn differently from anyone elses is also amusingly weird, though I have no idea why they do it (just to be amusingly weird, probably?).

Haiyoru! Nyaruani 01 - This is so stupid and so conceptually absurd and wrong it was kind of awesome. I mean, I don't know if I could imagine something less Lovecraftian, something even more absurdly ridiculous than that episode and those characters... it's so terribly stupid it's almost good. I might watch more of this Lovecraft-turned-into-generic-moe show, the unbelievably stupid concept succeeded in making me interested. I mean, the idea of Cthulu, Nyarlothep, etc., as generic moe girls.... anime is so, so wrong...

Haiyoru! Nyaruani 02, and the original series of flash episodes or whatever they are -- This show is either the worst thing ever or awesome, and I don't know which... but it definitely catches my interest. It's so, so stupid and wrong, but that's also what makes me want to watch it. Silly stuff.

The Sacred Blacksmith 05 - It was decent. Bland
and generic stuff but decent for that kind of episode, I guess. A lot like a part of the manga, but not quite as good, which makes it way better than the first three episodes...

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 31st December 2010

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 31st December 2010

Ah, good ol' reset ending. What would we do without you!

Last episode of Soredemo Machi was great, by the way, didn't "conclude" anything, but it was still great. There was actual drama! Good drama! It was funny too. In a way, the perfect ending for such a weird, fun show.

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 31st December 2010

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 2nd January 2011

Just got through watching the Haruhi Suzumiya movie. It's good, really good. One of the best works of anime I've seen in...ages. Well-written, well-animated, well-acted, and the characters are the best they've ever been. This is coming from someone who enjoyed the first season of the TV show, I didn't think it was amazing and I'm certainly not obsessed with it, but I did enjoy it. The movie is far and away better. In every way.

I could almost watch it again right now...

Fall 2010 Anime - Great Rumbler - 5th January 2011

Fall 2010 Anime - A Black Falcon - 7th January 2011

A Trigun movie... what in the world took so long? Wasn't that show pretty popular? I should watch that for sure though, yeah... I didn't love Trigun, but I did like it. Pretty good show, and that movie sounds solid.

Also, Bamboo Blade's manga ended abruptly, evidently. Really? That's really too bad... that was a good series. First, though, the anime. The anime's great, I really liked it and would definitely recommend it. It's quite good beginning to end. The manga, though... this last, very long arc I really didn't like that much. It got very far away from what I liked most about the series, that is the group of five main characters; really for far too long only Tama-chan had any role at all, and even she was often peripheral to the new group of characters, who just weren't as interesting as the main cast. It was still decent and interesting, but just not as great as it had been, I thought. I kept hoping that maybe, someday, this long arc would end and the series would get back to what had made it so good in the first place, but instead it gets cancelled (seemingly?), with an abrupt ending? That's pretty sad. What happened?

Kanon (2006 KyoAni ver.) 05-06 - So I don't know if I mentioned this before, but though I like Kanon, I've only ever watched 5 episodes of the 2006 version; I mostly say how much I liked it because of the 2002 version, which I did really like. Based on the first four or five episodes I remember thinking that the 2006 version seemed good, but maybe not as good as the first anime... I decided to come back to it and watch more of it, though. It is good, I should watch all of this version too.

I don't remember 2002 Yuuichi being quite this mean, I know it's all done for humor but he's kind of cruel, especially to Motoko... :lol It is pretty good, though. Much slower paced than the 2002 one, but it's about twice the length (24 episodes instead of 13), so that's expected. That was one of my criticisms, though, but still, I do like it. I'm not at the depressing parts really yet, though, so the sadness is just peripheral and there because I know what will happen. I know it's there, though, we'll see how much I like it once it starts to really get depressing.

Pani Poni Dash eps. 17-21 -- This show is so, so awesome... :lol :lol :lol

I do find the two episodes where they all die in the end, or seem to, and then are fine in the next episode a little annoying, though. I know that's an animation convention from the beginning, but still... at least one time there's a voiceover that says "and then they all got home fine" right after the gigantic explosion that surely killed them went off, but the other time (the episode with the bomb in Mesousa) there's nothing, just a big explosion, the end of the episode, and then them fine as usual the next time. Both were great episodes, though, so funny... but I do wish the second one had had something, even just a line like the first one. I mean, they obviously shouldn't have been fine, that somehow they got home fine anyway was pretty funny. :)

But yeah, this show's just amazing stuff, both hilarious and brilliant. I have other minor complaints about it (the supposed intelligence of some of the characters versus the stupidity of some of the things they do in the name of comedy really does stand out; I know it's done for laughs, but still, would they really be that dumb?), but the good is far more significant than the bad. It's really sad that I've almost finished it, has there been no comedy series since this one (and Excel Saga) anywhere near as good as either of them? Oh well, at least it's there, and brilliant.