Tendo City
my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) (/showthread.php?tid=2945)

Pages: 1 2 3

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - A Black Falcon - 23rd May 2005

I prefer percentile systems... I know, the difference between 87% and 88% is minor, and you'll never get that score EXACTLY right, but I like the additional choice it gives... just a plain 1-10 scale, with no decimals, just isn't enough for me.

Of course as I said nothing is a replacement for good writing, but the score is important as well, and saying that there shouldn't be one just because it's hard to decide (or discover, or whatever) what you think it should be is not a good argument. There is a value to the score.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - EdenMaster - 23rd May 2005

In essence, the system we have now is just as good as a decimal system. We have a scoring system on the scale of 0.0 to 10.0. Basically, the same as a percentage, just with a decimal point in there. Take out the point, and you've got 0-100, just like you'd prefer.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - A Black Falcon - 23rd May 2005

I know, but I think it's silly... why use 1-10 with decimals when you could just use percent?

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - EdenMaster - 23rd May 2005

Why use percents when you could just use 1-10 with a decimal :D

Seriously though, we're still working on it. Don't count on anything being set in stone just yet. I mean, we changed the replying rules, so nothings out of the question.

Don't go all OB1 on me and complain about something so insignificant ;)

I've just always liked percents over 1-10, decimal or no. :)

If you look, all my reviews here have a percent final score.

I guess it's all a matter of personal preference then, I guess, seeing as how both methods give you the exact same number, only in a different way.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - OB1 - 23rd May 2005

why did he change his name from weltall to ryan? stopped liking those xeno games?

Quote:I guess it's all a matter of personal preference then, I guess, seeing as how both methods give you the exact same number, only in a different way.

Yeah, it's really a matter of which presentation format you think looks better...

Quote:I'm not doing this for the sake of arguing

etc, etc, etc.

I'm not even going to try this time, OB1. You are NOT worth my time. I'd list your problems, but I have before and it goes nowhere since you are unable to see them in yourself when others point them out. So I won't, other than to say that I think that that is the main problem... if you could see how you act, and how you come off to others, etc, etc, then I doubt you'd act the way you do... but you can't, and never have been able to, so expecting for you to suddenly change is probably asking for too much.

So you just aren't worth the time.

I will say one thing, though: as time passes, more and more people see exactly how OB1 gets when his anger gets focused on you, and they don't like what they see... and each time we have one of these incidents someone else's eyes get opened to how OB1 really behaves here. But enough of that, I've already got OB1 annoyed enough at me...

Quote:You know, it amazes me how big of hypocrites all of you jackasses really are. Did you already forget what happened with my sticky thread? I made one single sticky thread with the purpose of keeping smilies for myself and GR, and when I moved posts people cried bloody murder and started an argument the size of which was never seen before on Tendo City. But now Weltall decides to make an entire forum with extreme restrictions and people argue for it. The hypocrisy here makes me sick to my stomach. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

You don't own the place. He does, so he can do as he wants. Also, this is pretty much how our review system always has been... even if it wasn't directly said, it was assumed that people knew it was actually for reviews. So how big a change is this, really?

Yeah, not much of one.

Now, I do not really support deleting posts... I didn't say it before here, but I will, I just don't like that idea... I'd rather move it or something. Deleting just doesn't seem right... but even so, that's just my opinion, not anyone else's, so I can't speak for them. I can only speak for myself.

But the rules themselves, they are good. I wouldn't want harsh rules on all the forums (looking back at the archives, and how ice-9 and the mods ran TC, did not leave me wishing for those days again!), but on one that has such a specific focus, and one which is so perfect for strong rules... yes, in that case, I support them.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 23rd May 2005

Pardon? You insult me OB1. At least give me the credit of actually having an honest opinion. This has nothing to do with that. I have recently agreed with you on a few things against other people. I could quote if you want.

OB1, I just STATED that Weltall is NOT refusing, and never has refused, offers to help pay for the site. He has even REQUESTED help on one occasion, but he doesn't make a habbit out of that.

Okay, I've corrected your misunderstandings. I'll let everyone else debate you on the other stuff.

"Extreme restrictions"? Tone it down a bit, for God's sake. That post you just made was a good length for a review and I KNOW you know a lot about games that you could write.

You're just mad because someone's not letting YOU have the complete control you've been spoiled by over the years. Because things aren't going YOUR way. Ryan has every right to put whatever rules he wishes on this place, and for the most part, there are NONE. You have a ton of places to go and do whatever you wish, so WHY GOD <u>WHY</u> is this such a big deal?

He's taken the fun out of TendoCity by wanting 1% of the forum to have minor rules, and letting the rest of it be completely unmoderated? You're just digging yourself in deeper, man.

Why SHOULDN'T we have a set standard for reviews. If we have 2000 reviews of games that simply say "I like it" and "It sucked", then what's the point of even having it at all? If you want to express your opinions of a game, you have plenty of places to do so, but if you actually want to write an objective, informative review, then we now have a place to do so.

Oh, and the difference between this and your sticky thread? This actually has a legitimate reason to exist and benefits more than two people on the forums. We're not hypocrites, you're just irrational.

For God's sake can you just let something go for once? Jesus Christ, you're childish.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - OB1 - 23rd May 2005

we have uh oh over

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Weltall - 23rd May 2005

Well guess what, sweetheart? These restrictions are here, and here they will stay. If you had any hope of convincing me of removing them, you tripped yourself up by acting like a complete and total asshole about it.

So now I am going to be ice-9 for a minute. There are rules here. You are the single solitary person who has the slightest objection. Follow them or stay out. I'm tired of arguing with you about it. I no longer care in the least what your opinion is regarding this topic. Get a life and grow up. I no longer have any desire to kiss your ass in the interest of making you stay. If you can't find the presence of mind to deal with this one tiny enforcement of rules THAT HAVE ALWAYS EXISTED, then leave.

i hear uh oh over!

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 23rd May 2005

You are "warning" ABF you are going to put him on ignore? OH HORRORS!

And yes, I do believe it. And no, I don't hold a grudge against you. I am sorry if I have somehow lead you to believe this, and wonder how you came to that, but I made it clear a while back that I really had no interest in holding any sort of hate against you. Truly, I don't hate you at all. I was on you and GR's side back during that weird smily picture thing that I wasn't really around to see the start of anyway.

What reason do you have to think I am lying about this? You state that "because you are lying, your opinion on this is worthless", well you haven't proven I'm being dishonest here, and I find it VERY rude to just label me a liar like that. Why do you think that? Really, why? I don't understand this. Are you really so convinced that I hate you? Why?

I edited my last post, go back to it.

Quote:ABF, if there were any truth to that then you have gotten a fucking clue and stopped trolling my posts in every single thread long ago. I suggest you go back to your pathetic, lonely existence right away before I put you on ignore. This is your LAST warning.

If you could see yourself you wouldn't act this way. That's all I can say... if you could see yourself, there is no way you'd act this way.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - lazyfatbum - 23rd May 2005

allow me to also add to that by saying that I would totally welcome SOME forum guidelines and rules for the entire board(s). Nothing like the old RC days, but atleast some to keep certain members in check.

everyone hear uh oh!

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Weltall - 23rd May 2005

I stated that I would not solicit donations unless I felt it were necessary, as in, some expense that I could not cover. When we needed the vBulletin, I got donations from a dozen people.

The reason I don't ask for donations is because I don't need them. I am perfectly capable of paying for Tendo City without help. If I needed it, I would ask. I have never, ever once sought to gain from what I do. I never brag about, and I'm bashful when someone mentions it. I do it because I love this place. But for you to imply that I implicitly refuse help so that I could retain complete control is stupid, wrong, and very insulting.

Quote:You are "warning" ABF you are going to put him on ignore? OH HORRORS!

It'd be annoying, but I think the forum would survive... :)

Quote:Alright fucker, it's obvious to me now that you have become exactly like ice-9. Your immature stubborness over this matter and unwillingness to come to any sort of compromise has made me lose all respect for you that I once had. Your hypocrisy over this entire thing (I should grow up and get a life? Who's the asshole that enforced these ridiculous rules!) has left me with one choice: compromise or I leave. Believe me, I will be more than happy to leave such assholes like yourself, ABF, and DJ for good. It's been a long time in the making, and I've been waiting for the last straw. Continue to act like a fuck and I'm gone.

You REALLY need to learn how to control your anger...

or something, i forgot how that sealab ep went.

i should watch it again.

OB1 Wrote:Alright fucker, it's obvious to me now that you have become exactly like ice-9. Your immature stubborness over this matter and unwillingness to come to any sort of compromise has made me lose all respect for you that I once had. Your hypocrisy over this entire thing (I should grow up and get a life? Who's the asshole that enforced these ridiculous rules!) has left me with one choice: compromise or I leave. Believe me, I will be more than happy to leave such assholes like yourself, ABF, and DJ for good. It's been a long time in the making, and I've been waiting for the last straw. Continue to act like a fuck and I'm gone.
I don't think you're capable of compromise.

For years, I've heard people complaining about how terribly stubborn you are, and until today, I've never experienced it first hand. I feel like you betrayed me, and the trust I gave to you. Unless your next response is something even resembling a compromise, I want you to leave.

This not a warning. This is a chance. I don't want to lose anyone. But I will, if I have to. And I dare you to find another forum that would allow you even a tenth of the freedom I've allowed you and everyone else here.

To be honest, Weltall has compromised. He's shown a great deal of patience in this as well. Weltall is, well I'll just say it, a SAINT in this matter.

Look, I can only say this. OB1, you really need to take some time away from this board. Don't leave forever. Maybe a week or perhaps two in order to think about this sort of thing and realize how silly it all was. You don't need to bring it up again or anything, but please just learn not to take things so seriously. No one is trying to target you here. You DID start this argument, that's a fact. We are only trying to explain Weltall's position, and you really are being unreasonable about this. Now, you obviously are angry about something. Maybe there's some hidden anger at us for past transgressions, or maybe it's something in the real world, I don't know. However, that's for you to figure out. The important thing is this. You have to learn to respect other's opinions. The majority wants these rules. We applaud the establishment of this first galactic empire (as you probably see it).

In the past, I have done what I could to keep you here. I don't want you to leave, I would just like a somewhat calmer, less willing to argue, version of you who is just as much a contributor as you are now. However, I won't try to fight it this time. You can leave if you must, though losing any of our active members is a loss, but I will say that whatever choice you make will be entirely on you. I won't have you claiming you only stay because we begged you to stay, so I won't beg. Do as you see fit.

i haven't seen sealab in years!

I will now post something I hope will calm EVERYONE down. Comedy is the golden elixer of... not mad...

<EMBED src="http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail130.swf" loop=false menu=false quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH=550 HEIGHT=400></EMBED>

Precisely. The ball is in your court, OB1. I'd hate to lose you stemming from such a stupid argument. I don't demand anything from you at all. I just want you to calm down and perhaps learn to accept that your opinion is not the only one that matters.

Quote:Spare me the sanctimonious BS. You're the one acting unreasonable here, trying to put restrictions on posts in a useless forum. I started this thread as a half-joke, thinking that you would come to your senses and be more reasonable about the reviews forum. But no, you showed that you are unwilling to compromise and have become a forum dictator, another ice-9. If you continue like this then I will leave, and that is a warning.

Think, OB1. The point that you (or any of us!) wouldn't get a quarter of this latitude on virtually any other forum is a pretty good one. I know you're annoyed, but really... you won't find somewhere with weaker rules than this place, unless you set up a forum yourself!

Quote:I don't think you're capable of compromise.

For years, I've heard people complaining about how terribly stubborn you are, and until today, I've never experienced it first hand. I feel like you betrayed me, and the trust I gave to you. Unless your next response is something even resembling a compromise, I want you to leave.

This not a warning. This is a chance. I don't want to lose anyone. But I will, if I have to. And I dare you to find another forum that would allow you even a tenth of the freedom I've allowed you and everyone else here.

It's sad that it's come to this... not good. I don't want OB1 to leave. He contributes to the forum. Sure, I wish he could see himself, and grow up, but I'd rather have something than nothing... but I guess OB1's temper got to him one too many times. This is even worse than usual, actually, I'd say...

take a few deep breaths and calm down? :) Might help... reacting in the heat of the moment is never good in the long run. Really, I don't want to see OB1 leave. (I know, he's incredibly annoying, but I'd rather be here hoping for him to change than have him gone and have us have like 25% less posts, at least...)

Deep breaths. They help.

alright this is going over board i think

I want an answer. Are you staying or are you going?

Troll? You misunderstand me. I would just like this stupidity to end. I don't wish to "get a rise" from you. I'm not trying to be aggresive here. Calm down.

Ryan started the argument? Remind me again who started this thread?

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - lazyfatbum - 23rd May 2005

...who deleted my post?

Quote:No, I did NOT start this argument, troll. Ryan started it when he deleted my posts and assigned those inane restrictions.

He apologized for deleting the posts. That mostly makes up for it, to me.

Oh for crying out...I deleted the posts because the rules were made, then they were changed and I have apologized PROFUSELY for any pasts I deleted. Get over it.

or is it?

Did you delete my post?

huh

ah so...

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Great Rumbler - 24th May 2005

Quite a lot happened while I was gone yesterday, or so it seems.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 24th May 2005

I'm sorry you weren't here for it GR.... Read the posts and you'll see what happened. I'm sure pretty confused about it...

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Great Rumbler - 24th May 2005

Quote:I'm sorry you weren't here for it GR....

I am too.

You know, this is almost the exact same thing that happened in February except everyone's roles are reversed...

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Dark Jaguar - 24th May 2005

Really? What I remember in Feb was defending you two from an odd argument I really didn't fully understand.

At any rate, what do you think of this whole thing GR?

Last time, OB1 wanted a thread to do a certain thing in and deleted posts that were not on topic, people got mad and complained and then things went from there. I defended OB1 there, because he wanted just one thread to do one thing in. This time, Ryan and EM wanted a forum to do a certain thing in and deleted posts that were not on topic, OB1 got made and complained and things went from there. This time though I cannot defend OB1, because Ryan EM wanted just one thread to do one thing in.

OB1 took it as a personal affront for some reason and fought against having any rules in that forum, which is just plain...well silly. If they want one forum to do something in for themselves then let them do it. If they had tried to impose rules on the other forums as well I would have gladly sided with OB1, but as it stands he was in the wrong this time.

I must say if an explanation is given, a little strictness is always a little welcome, as lazy suggested.

But yeah, this was silly. Of course the diff is he actually made a thread in an existing forum while EM made an entire forum specifically for something.

One thing. I stood by deleting whatever reviews weren't up to snuff. However, some have issues with deleting of any kind. So, I suggest creating a "trash" forum in there where you can move whatever doesn't follow the rules. That should keep ABF happy. It's still there, it's only been labelled as garbage and shuffled around in random order with a bunch of other stuff.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - A Black Falcon - 24th May 2005

Yes, that's the thing... this is a ridiculous thing for someone to quit over.

The image post? Yeah, it was an incident, and what was the resolution? The image post stayed. It was even stickied... and anyone who didn't like it didn't have to post there. Why can't this have a similar resolution?

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - EdenMaster - 24th May 2005

Because OB1 won that time, and he lost this time, and he can't stand it.

The reason I rallied against te Image post was because it was on the top of the second most posted forum, and only meant for two people. The Review Forum was made completely seperate so that anybody who wanted to avoid it could do so, and if actually benefitted the whole community here. That was the shining difference between the two incidents, this actually has a legitimate REASON to exist, and saving a few seconds while trying to find a dumb picture to post was not a valid reaosn for a stickied thread. I still believe that, but I gave up since it wasn't worth it.

This is so silly it boggles my mind. Nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, was changed ANYWHERE else. In essence, if OB1 didn't post or read in the review forum, then nothing he was doing at TC was being ecroached upon. That's what kills me, is that he went on and on about having to "fight for his freedom" or something, when in essence, NOTHING CHANGED.

Whatever, if he wants to act like that, we're better off without him, no matter how much he posted.

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - Undertow - 24th May 2005

OB1 Wrote:Hey what's with this Nazism?

Do the hustle!

I was on GR and OB1's side there, which is what really gets me. For some reason he actually thinks I have some sort of deep hatred for him. If that was the case why would I actually take his side on some things?

my two cents: the reviews forum sucks ass (Moved to Ramble) - EdenMaster - 24th May 2005

Because he's OB1. Your friendship with him was only based on who's side you were on in his last pointless argument.