Tendo City
The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread (/showthread.php?tid=2924)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Weltall - 21st May 2005

I haven't seen it yet. I plan to with lazy when I go see him.

So did we find out anything about Palpatine? Were at least some of his motives explained? Did he finally transcend, climb the ladder from one-dimensional shitty evil candy-thief and reveal himself to actually have a cogent reason for doing any one of the things he's done?

I'm very, very curious about this point. Since OB1 has yet to make a "haha told you he had reasons" thread, I'm willing to bet he finished Episode III as the same retarded, completely amateurish character he always was.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Dark Jaguar - 21st May 2005

Actually Palpatine is a LOT deeper than you think and has a great motivator to do what he does.

He did it to see if he could.

I mean, as the only intelligent person in the entire series of movies, you can tell just how embarressed he is at being able to manipulate everyone like that.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - OB1 - 22nd May 2005

Yeah you sure showed me, Darunia. And you're totally right, having digital effects does make the movies cartoons. Just like the original trilogy is nothing more than a painting behind some muppets and miniatures. CG is totally fake! I can't believe they can do that! Movies are real, dammit! It doesn't matter if you can do things with CG that you can't any other way, it doesn't matter that you can only tell that something is CG a lot of time because you know that there's no other way to do it--it's all super fake cartoon stuff! OMG!!!

You're a bright man, Darunia.

Quote:Titanic WAS a great movie. Any movie combining the skills of James Cameron and James Horner cannot be anything less than amazing. Terminator II, perhaps you've heard of it? Oh--but George Lucas didn't make that one, and there's virtually not CG in it---so you wouldn't be interested in that crappy, old-fashioned thing.

Haha, Terminator II was a pioneer in CG effects, genius. So was Titanic. Lol You call those effects "old-fashioned"? Old-fashioned is Citizen Kane. Those movies you mentioned are still state-of-the-art.

Titanic is a pretentious fluff piece with great special effects. It takes one of the most terrible disasters of the 20th century and turns it into what is essentially a high-budget WB movie made for 12-year-old girls.

Look kid, if you're going to try to sound like you know anything about movies and "great directors", I suggest you start with someone better than James Cameron. Try Sergio Leone or Jean Renoir for starters. I could suggest a bunch of movies to you that'll make you redefine just what great cinema actually is. Just put down that Entertainment Weekly and expand your horizons.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - OB1 - 22nd May 2005

Ryan Wrote:I haven't seen it yet. I plan to with lazy when I go see him.

So did we find out anything about Palpatine? Were at least some of his motives explained? Did he finally transcend, climb the ladder from one-dimensional shitty evil candy-thief and reveal himself to actually have a cogent reason for doing any one of the things he's done?

I'm very, very curious about this point. Since OB1 has yet to make a "haha told you he had reasons" thread, I'm willing to bet he finished Episode III as the same retarded, completely amateurish character he always was.

I've known the story of Episode III for a very long time, so there's nothing that the movie revealed to me that I didn't already know.

You are given all of the information on Palpatine that you need in the OT, but yes Episode III does delve deeper into who he is and why he does what he does. But as I said before, this will most likely not be enough for you since your perspective on storytelling seems to be limited to the very narrow idea that good characters must have long backstories and unrealistically convoluted motives in order to be considered good enough.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Actually Palpatine is a LOT deeper than you think and has a great motivator to do what he does.

He did it to see if he could.

I mean, as the only intelligent person in the entire series of movies, you can tell just how embarressed he is at being able to manipulate everyone like that.

This coming from the person who thinks that Final Fantasy VI has a deep and moving plot with great characterization. Lol

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - The Former DMiller - 22nd May 2005

I got into this thread late since I just saw Episode III tonight and I didn't want to spoil anything. I'm not going to respond to all of the individual comments on the movie, but I will say that the most important thing a professor told me in one of my film study classes was to "willingly suspend your disbelief." He used Mary Shelley's Frankenstein as an example saying that we don't need to know whether Frankenstein goes to the bathroom at all as it isn't relevant to the movie and the director believes it is not something we need to know, or is something we can fill in for ourselves. For much of the things in the Star Wars movies I have willingly suspended my disbelief and not let little plot holes bother me.

As for Episode III itself, I thought it was easily the best of the new trilogy, and also better than Jedi, but I don't think it was better than New Hope or Empire. I've stated before that I hated Phantom Menace and Clone Wars, but this movie had more of the good and less of the bad. I loved Palpatine's ascension as it had so many parallels to Hitler's rise to power and I am a huge WWII buff. Those who aren't familiar with Hitler's rise may not know that he was pretty much unopposed. Hitler was voted into power, and the German Reichstag (Senate) eventually granted him more and more power before he finally disbanded it (as the Emperor did in the original trilogy). Although there were dissenters to Hitler and the Nazi party, they were in a quiet minority, and once he had gained enough power those in the minority were smart to remain quiet.

Anyway, I still think the love scenes in Episode III were awful. I know Padme and Anakin are young and their love should be a little awkward, but I just think the combination of mediocre actors trying to act awkward leads to a bad scene. I now don't totally blame the poor love scenes on Lucas as Christensen and Portman aren't the greatest actors. Still, it does stem from Lucas a little as he is suppose to direct the actors and he chose them in the first place.

McDiarmid, however, was great as Palpatine. Palpatine may be the most interesting character in the trilogy outside of Anakin, and McDiarmid played the part perfectly. He coldly and carefully lured Anakin to the dark side, and although I think Palpatine revealed himself to Anakin too early (willingly suspending my disbelief by believing that Palpatine forsaw that Anakin would fall regardless) the way McDiarmid plays the part makes it all believable. As for the people saying Anakin turned too easily, I will side with those who have said he has been turning to the dark side since the end of the 2nd movie. The act of stopping Samuel L. Jackson from killing Palpatine was just one of the final steps on his path to the dark side. He wasn't totally lost at that point, but he felt that the only way to save Padme was to become the apprentice of Palpatine and attempt to learn the power to save lives. At this point he went further down the path of the dark side in following Palpatine's orders.

There's a lot I want to say, but I'll just finish by saying that I do think that Lucas does go a little overboard with the CGI. Yes, I understand that fantasy lends itself to CGI, but I just don't think every single scene needs to have gigantic CGI landscapes. It almost takes a little of the magic away from the scene when you see yet another wide angle shot of a cityscape with hundreds of ships flying around. The scenes are just too busy and do not allow your eyes to focus on anything leading to a muddled scene. I also agree those who said General Grievous was useless. He was a very one-dimensional character who stuck around for way too long. Someone mentioned that it would have been interesting to know how he acquired his lightsabers, and that may have helped his character a little, but I don't think it would have been enough. The time that was spend on General Grievous would have been better spent building up the human characters more, imo.

Anyway, regardless of the few complaints I had about Episode III I thought it was implemented much better than the first 2 new movies, and I really enjoyed it. I did like the parallel scenes used when Yoda and Palpatine were fighting along with Obi-Wan and Vader as well as Padme's giving birth scene with Vader's "rebirth" scene. I just hope Lucas leaves the Star Wars franchise for good now, and doesn't attempt to make the movies after the original trilogy. I've heard that he changed a lot such as the fact that Luke wasn't suppose to fight the Emperor until the 9th episode so he might not be able to do the final trilogy even if he wanted to.

Quote:but I just don't think every single scene needs to have gigantic CGI landscapes.

You might be surprised to know that a good chunk of the landscapes and big environments in Episode III (and all of the SW movies, for that matter) are done with matte paintings and miniatures. Most people complain that they're CG even though there are more practical effects in the SW prequels than in any other movie made today. Remember Kashyyyk? That big shot of the tree city was a miniature. Mustafar? Same. Most of that lava was not CG. A lot of people don't know this, but complain about it because of course, CG is popular to hate on. ;)

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - A Black Falcon - 22nd May 2005

Yeah, isn't it footage of a real volcano erupting?

I didn't hear anything about that, but most of Mustafar was a combination of matte paintings and models. The lava was not CG most of the time.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Weltall - 22nd May 2005

OB1 Wrote:You are given all of the information on Palpatine that you need in the OT, but yes Episode III does delve deeper into who he is and why he does what he does. But as I said before, this will most likely not be enough for you since your perspective on storytelling seems to be limited to the very narrow idea that good characters must have long backstories and unrealistically convoluted motives in order to be considered good enough.

My perspective on storytelling is that every major character needs some kind of motivation. And, in an epic saga such as Star Wars, backstory is a necessity. Palps has a basic, uninteresting back-story, and remarkably simplistic motives.

Your perspective on storytelling is that you prefer everything to fit standard cliches because don't like to think too much and prefer your characters simple and unchallenging. That any sort of information not of immediate importance is completely unnecessary. As long as they look cool, spit catchy one-liners and look badass, you're happy and satisfied.

:love:

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - alien space marine - 22nd May 2005

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - The Former DMiller - 22nd May 2005

I wasn't complaining about the landscapes, per se, but about how busy they were. There is too much going on in the wide angle shots of the landscapes and cities to make them interesting. The eyes want to focus on things but with so much going on in one scene it makes it impossible to focus and, thus, the shots do not have as much appeal.

Please, just because you read Steven King books doesn't make you any sort of authority on good storytelling.

Long and convoluted backstories are most certainly not needed to make for interesting characters in a story. You don't need to know what Palpatine eats for breakfast and how he spent his childhood summers. And lust for power, the urge to make things right in your point of view by having absolute control, is the very motive of just about every single major "villain" in history. Call it cliche if you want--that is realism.

What makes a good character is defining characteristics. That is the most important thing. Everything in addition to that helps but isn't necessary. You can have a great character even if you know nothing about his/her past and only understand them in the present tense, and likewise you can have a great character if you understand every single thing there is to know about them. But the true testament to their quality is that first thing I mentioned, their defining characteristics. Everything else helps but isn't nearly as important as you suggest. To you the most important thing is the background. Who cares if the character is interesting without that information or not. People still remember Han Solo, and why is that? Most people don't know a thing about his past. Yet he's endured for 30 years. Han Solo might be better appreciated by knowing more about his past, but without those defining characteristics none of that matters.

DMiller Wrote:I wasn't complaining about the landscapes, per se, but about how busy they were. There is too much going on in the wide angle shots of the landscapes and cities to make them interesting. The eyes want to focus on things but with so much going on in one scene it makes it impossible to focus and, thus, the shots do not have as much appeal.

Complex and busy backgrounds have become a staple in cinema since Fritz Lang's Metropolis. That is of course not the only way to do it as there have been plenty of directors with a more minimalist style, but Lucas follows the tradition of Orson Welles and Akira Kurosawa and therefor uses very visually stimulating areas. An important element to this is the sense of being overwhelmed. :)

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Weltall - 22nd May 2005

OB1 Wrote:Please, just because you read Steven King books doesn't make you any sort of authority on good storytelling.

It helps. He's more of a storyteller than Lucas could ever hope to be.

Quote:Long and convoluted backstories are most certainly not needed to make for interesting characters in a story. You don't need to know what Palpatine eats for breakfast and how he spent his childhood summers. And lust for power, the urge to make things right in your point of view by having absolute control, is the very motive of just about every single major "villain" in history. Call it cliche if you want--that is realism.

1. I fail to see why you think there are either only long, convoluted backstories, or none whatsoever. It doesn't have to be long or complex. But it does need to exist. Some effort has to be made.

2. You are so wrong about that second point it's not even funny. That you think so proves just how little experience you have in characterization. Beleive it or not, sometimes things can be driven by purely personal motives too.

Quote:What makes a good character is defining characteristics. That is the most important thing. Everything in addition to that helps but isn't necessary. You can have a great character even if you know nothing about his/her past and only understand them in the present tense, and likewise you can have a great character if you understand every single thing there is to know about them. But the true testament to their quality is that first thing I mentioned, their defining characteristics. Everything else helps but isn't nearly as important as you suggest. To you the most important thing is the background. Who cares if the character is interesting without that information or not. People still remember Han Solo, and why is that? Most people don't know a thing about his past. Yet he's endured for 30 years. Han Solo might be better appreciated by knowing more about his past, but without those defining characteristics none of that matters.

Han Solo isn't deep either. He has some basic motivation, moreso than Palpatine, but he's nowhere near Shakespearean either. Defining characteristics are trite. How many characters out there share the same character as Han Solo? He's a walking cliche himself, a badass space cowboy who ogles chicks and yells YAHOO a lot. He doesn't develop much throught the series. In fact, pretty much every Star Wars character except Vader begins and ends in a mostly-cliched role. These characters endure because expectations among the fanbase are suitably-low, and they sell a lot of licensed merchandise. None of the characters are great, or even that good. They are merely suitable for the roles they play.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - A Black Falcon - 22nd May 2005

I simply can't understand how you (Weltall) continue to insist that Palpatine has no motivation when we've proven that he has plenty. The only problem is that you refuse to accept it as a motivation -- hence OB's comments like

Quote:You are given all of the information on Palpatine that you need in the OT, but yes Episode III does delve deeper into who he is and why he does what he does. But as I said before, this will most likely not be enough for you since your perspective on storytelling seems to be limited to the very narrow idea that good characters must have long backstories and unrealistically convoluted motives in order to be considered good enough.

I've already stated why I find that wrong and unsatisfactory.

And I can't understand why people still call me Weltall, when I dropped that name six months ago :D

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - alien space marine - 22nd May 2005

What motivation should Palpatine have then?

His mother didnt spank him enough you needed to know that?

Palpatine isnt as cliche anymore since the PT, He is not a faceless 2d wooden cartoon villain who wants to blow up the world because he feels like it.

There is a big difference between "Hitler" and most childhood cartoon villains

Norman Osbourne the "green goblin" is cliche his motivation is that he has gone completely insane , He is a loonie a pretty simple set up just so Spiderman could have somthing to kill, While Harry osbourne is alot little more developed he wants revenge for his fathers death so there is some purpose to his villiny.

besides Lex Lurther most comic super villains are complete cliche mindless slop what was the Joker in Batmans motivation same with Two face?.

Palpatine is more in line with Hitler/Lex Lurther/ Satan ,thats a good mix.

There is gonna be a stawars TV show soon , So maybe more developement for Palpatine who knows?

Starwars is a "moral dilemma"! Its about choices ,decisions,attitudes, good and evil.

The story is in religous context as well , Think of the story in that way.

Really what are the devils motivations in the bible? Besides power and wanting to be god?

Do you think satans history was being abused by God (Skydaddy) so the angel started to not be so nice?

or Just simpily the devil Angel got full of himself turned into a bad seed?

OB1 Wrote:Complex and busy backgrounds have become a staple in cinema since Fritz Lang's Metropolis. That is of course not the only way to do it as there have been plenty of directors with a more minimalist style, but Lucas follows the tradition of Orson Welles and Akira Kurosawa and therefor uses very visually stimulating areas. An important element to this is the sense of being overwhelmed. :)

I still haven't seen Metropolis even though a lot of people have recommended it to me. Anyway, I guess if that was the effect Lucas was going for I can't really fault him much for it, but I just think those shots introducing the cities and locales would be more visually appealing if you were allowed to focus on something instead of having that overwhelming feeling with ships flying everywhere.

Quote: It helps. He's more of a storyteller than Lucas could ever hope to be.

A better writer yes, but a better storyteller? I dunno, time has been awfully favorable to Lucas' stories.

Quote:1. I fail to see why you think there are either only long, convoluted backstories, or none whatsoever. It doesn't have to be long or complex. But it does need to exist. Some effort has to be made.

Some of the best characters in fiction over the centuries have had no backstories at all. You're saying that exposition is needed in every single instance, which is idiotic. SW literally drops you into the middle of a story. It was a very conscious decision not to have tons of exposition.

You obviously don't have a wide spectrum of knowledge on this topic if you think that only this one way is good. Perhaps you need to start reading more than just Steven King.

Quote:2. You are so wrong about that second point it's not even funny. That you think so proves just how little experience you have in characterization. Beleive it or not, sometimes things can be driven by purely personal motives too.

Sure they can, but then nobody remembers the characters, just the motives. Or they simply become plot devices.

Quote:Han Solo isn't deep either. He has some basic motivation, moreso than Palpatine, but he's nowhere near Shakespearean either. Defining characteristics are trite. How many characters out there share the same character as Han Solo? He's a walking cliche himself, a badass space cowboy who ogles chicks and yells YAHOO a lot. He doesn't develop much throught the series. In fact, pretty much every Star Wars character except Vader begins and ends in a mostly-cliched role. These characters endure because expectations among the fanbase are suitably-low, and they sell a lot of licensed merchandise. None of the characters are great, or even that good. They are merely suitable for the roles they play.

Yet you seem to remember them so well and can explain just how poor they are with such conviction. Lol

Yes, truly these are unmemorable characters that nobody cares about.

Here, let me help you take your foot out of your mouth..

DMiller Wrote:I still haven't seen Metropolis even though a lot of people have recommended it to me. Anyway, I guess if that was the effect Lucas was going for I can't really fault him much for it, but I just think those shots introducing the cities and locales would be more visually appealing if you were allowed to focus on something instead of having that overwhelming feeling with ships flying everywhere.

But they are big futuristic landscapes. Are you suggesting less life on Coruscant? Or fewer wide shots?

I really don't understand this complaint. Seems like nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Great Rumbler - 22nd May 2005

Quote:As DJ said, the prequel trilogy was tragically aimed at kids.

Who do you think the OT was aimed at?

Yeah the entire SW saga was made with kids in mind. Like Miyazaki movies.

TEH KIDDY!!!

OB1 Wrote:A better writer yes, but a better storyteller? I dunno, time has been awfully favorable to Lucas' stories.
As they have been to the bestselling novelist in American history, if not the entire world.

Quote:Some of the best characters in fiction over the centuries have had no backstories at all. You're saying that exposition is needed in every single instance, which is idiotic. SW literally drops you into the middle of a story. It was a very conscious decision not to have tons of exposition.
But to have none. At all. You keep seeing things in the extremes. For you, it's all or nothing.

Quote:You obviously don't have a wide spectrum of knowledge on this topic if you think that only this one way is good. Perhaps you need to start reading more than just Steven King.
I read quite a bit more than Stephen King. And I know poor, one-dimensional characters when I see them.

Quote:Sure they can, but then nobody remembers the characters, just the motives. Or they simply become plot devices.
Anakin Skywalker's reasons for turning bad are inherently personal, pushed along by outside interference. And everyone remembers his character. He's the best the series has to offer, by far. He has motives.

Quote:Yet you seem to remember them so well and can explain just how poor they are with such conviction. Lol

Yes, truly these are unmemorable characters that nobody cares about.

Here, let me help you take your foot out of your mouth..
That I was able to describe them so well in so short a turn only proves my point. If a character is merchandised well enough, people will remember them, but they're remembered for their image, not their character. Star Wars characters are to the last remembered for their image. Especially Vader, which is sad as there was actual effort put into his character.

Quote:As they have been to the bestselling novelist in American history, if not the entire world.

Well, not the entire world. That's a ridiculous claim, don't you think?

Quote:But to have none. At all. You keep seeing things in the extremes. For you, it's all or nothing.

I'm afraid that it is you who is seeing things in opposite extremes. I believe in several different methods of storytelling and have a good understanding of different ways that work in different contexts, while you have a very narrow view of just one way.

Funny that you should mention Shakespear before, since he wasn't a one-trick pony like you want all writers to be, and used different methods of storytelling. Romeo and Juliet can never match the depth of characterization of King Lear, and it didn't need to. You did not need to gain great insight into the main characters' backgrounds in order to enjoy Romeo and Juliet.

Quote:I read quite a bit more than Stephen King. And I know poor, one-dimensional characters when I see them.

You know only one type of storytelling, obviously. And don't understand the concept or importance of archetypes in fantastical settings.

Quote:Anakin Skywalker's reasons for turning bad are inherently personal, pushed along by outside interference. And everyone remembers his character. He's the best the series has to offer, by far. He has motives.

Anakin had no more motive than Luke did. In fact, the two trilogies are meant to parallel each other and show how two different generations of Skywalkers lived their lives and how the decisions they made determined their fates. Anakin's motives are an important element to his character, no doubt, but they are detemined by his defining characteristics and not the other way around.

Quote:That I was able to describe them so well in so short a turn only proves my point. If a character is merchandised well enough, people will remember them, but they're remembered for their image, not their character. Star Wars characters are to the last remembered for their image. Especially Vader, which is sad as there was actual effort put into his character.

There are many more interesting-looking characters out there than in SW, yet they don't endure nearly as well as these SW characters do. And this is because people remember the story, they remember the characters. They associate these things with the actual images of the characters, since movies are a visual medium. If people did not care for the stories or characters then their look would be completely meaningless.

History destroyed this argument of yours before you even thought it up, Ryan.

Its a good thing not everyone has to be the same, Even if stephen King is well regarded writer, He has written some good stuff and some bad stuff. I liked "The dead Zone" and "Cristine".

Somtimes a good writer will always leave the reader with questions ,Always asking for more, Somtimes not knowing leaves a level of mystery and some interest always having somthing left to explore, Over establishing Palpatine before the apropriate time would have ruined the plot for the movies he was the "phamtom menance" as it were.

Villains alot of times are just mysterious figures often sharing the same usual characteristics, Its just fallen heroes like Anakin which are the exception that are far more complexe.
Could Anakin have become the way he was without the mysterious little known devil Palpatine in the works it was necesarry?

Palps is part of the story indeed but not the main focus, Its Anakin "Darth Vader" and the conflict caused by him .

Do we need to know anything about "Darth Maul"? He was just a grunt henchmen are just secondary characters.

OB1 Wrote:But they are big futuristic landscapes. Are you suggesting less life on Coruscant? Or fewer wide shots?

I really don't understand this complaint. Seems like nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

It is just nitpicking, but it was the only part of my post you commented on so I felt I needed to defend it. It's not a big deal so I'll let it die.

In regards to all of the Palpatine talk I don't think he necessarily needed a fully-fleshed-out backstory to make him an intriguing character. His manipulation of those around him and actions in the present are what make him interesting. A backstory would have just been superfluous. We do get a few hints at his past in Episode III, but I just don't feel it is necessary to understand his motives. Paralleling Hitler again, we come into the story when Palpatine is just beginning to acquire his vast power. When Hitler first began to rise to power no one knew where he came from. He had been seen as almost a joke at first, and then all of a sudden his party is taking over Germany through elections. Hitler's motives weren't much deeper than he wanted glory for Germany and he felt Germany had been betrayed after WWI. I will actually side with OB1 on this one and say a back-story isn't necessary to have an interesting villian.

Well said, it's good to see another person aside from ABF understanding some of my points. :)

Quote:It is just nitpicking, but it was the only part of my post you commented on so I felt I needed to defend it. It's not a big deal so I'll let it die.

That's cool, I just wanted to point out the fact that a lot of those scenes were not CG.

alien space marine Wrote:Its a good thing not everyone has to be the same, Even if stephen King is well regarded writer, He has written some good stuff and some bad stuff. I liked "The dead Zone" and "Cristine".

Somtimes a good writer will always leave the reader with questions ,Always asking for more, Somtimes not knowing leaves a level of mystery and some interest always having somthing left to explore, Over establishing Palpatine before the apropriate time would have ruined the plot for the movies he was the "phamtom menance" as it were.

Villains alot of times are just mysterious figures often sharing the same usual characteristics, Its just fallen heroes like Anakin which are the exception that are far more complexe.
Could Anakin have become the way he was without the mysterious little known devil Palpatine in the works it was necesarry?

Palps is part of the story indeed but not the main focus, Its Anakin "Darth Vader" and the conflict caused by him .

Do we need to know anything about "Darth Maul"? He was just a grunt henchmen are just secondary characters.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but good post ASM. :D

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Darunia - 22nd May 2005

And OB1 has still yet to say a single word against any of my impeccable flaws. A tip to the witless: You don't win arguments with a bunch of sarcasm and smiley emoticons. In your world, we know that your divine intellect is beyond question, but in the real world, it takes something more than arrogance to drive home a convincing argument.

Well said, it's good to see another person aside from ABF understanding some of my points.

We all understand your points. They're just wrong so we ignore them.

Please, just because you read Steven King books doesn't make you any sort of authority on good storytelling.

And what makes you an authority on good storytelling, pray tell, my liege?

*activates the Goron/Weltall alliance*

I still disagree.

Now, I think that aside villains like Darth Maul don't need much, if any, backstory. He appeared for maybe twelve minutes. He was a henchman, a foil, and a vehicle to sell tons of licensed toys. After he's dead, he's meaningless. A backstory would pretty much be wasted on him.

But Palpatine is far more important to the story, and this is what I'm trying to impress. He's responsible for everything! He is REQUIRED to have motives of some sort! He doesn't just show up and disappear without a trace, he's there for every movie, except four. He is the catalyst driving the entire series of events. He is the Hitler, the Caesar, the Joseph Stalin. Each of those men were men of extraordinary power, and each of them has a laundry list of motives and back story. Stalin for example, fabricated his role in the events of the October Revolution, making himself seem far more important that he was, in order to seize power upon Lenin's death. He was driven by both his own desires and an attachment to his ideology, so strong that he slaughtered countless millions trying to build his vision. He wasn't some two-bit fool who liked to kill because he thought killing was fun, or ruled the USSR just so he could say he ruled the USSR. He had goals and motives abound. All three men did. Most such men do. As such, we find them incredibly interesting long, long after they are dead. Stalin and Hitler both go beyond themselves and are known as well for the ideologies they so fervently forced on others, but no one sees them as mere vessels for those ideologies. Palpatine's cause or goals are never well-fleshed, he just seems to be on a huge power grab for whateve reason, but he doesn't seem like anything but a vessel to advance this goal. Major, earth-shattering villains like this cannot get away with having no motive, even one that is merely semi-apparent. It's bad writing. After all, if not for Palpatine, nothing in the series would have happened. The people of the Republic would have gone about their lives normally, more or less. Palpatine came along and turned the galaxy upside down in a major way. He had to have had a somewhat decent reason for doing it. But we're never privy to that reason, if there is one. Thus, he's a bad character.

Quote: Well, not the entire world. That's a ridiculous claim, don't you think?

No, I don't think so at all. If you think I'm wrong, you can try and find proof of it. But right now, I think he's most certainly the best selling novelist in the world.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Darunia - 22nd May 2005

I just watched The Battle of Hoth on my TESB DVD, and let me say... at no time in any of the prequels did Lucas even approach that intense of a scene. John Williams' was at his peak here---every instant of the soundtrack goes hand-in-hand with something in the movie. This as well, I find, was sorely lacking in the prequels. Example:

--The awesome fanfare he wrote for when Han goes into carbon freeze... it's just so powerful, how it builds into a crescendo, precisely on-time for when the carbonite jets encase Han. It gives me goosebumps, it's so fucking good!

--How well his haunting, yet beautiful pieces go hand-in-hand with the scenery on Hoth. At no point in any of the three prequels was I as captivated by the relationship between music and scenery.

--Every single action sequence during The Battle of Hoth... specifically, how he brilliantly captures the hope and joy of the besieged Rebels when "the first transport is away!" and everyone cheers. There is no such musicl-scenery allure in Episode III.

--I still maintain that the Asteroid Field is one of the finest pieces of music every written for a movie. It all comes together so well with the pursuit of the Millennium Falcon.

Williams, while still one of the best out there, didn't have as great of a soundtrack for Episode III. I can't say if this is because he's passed his apex, or if he simply couldn't write beautiful music with a beauty-less movie. At any rate, my underlying point is that the music has an enormous influence on the Star Wars movies. TESB has the best soundtrack of any of the series, followed by (in my opinion) ANH, RotJ, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and way in last, Revenge of the Sith. I triple dog dare OB1 or anyone else to step in and say that Episode III's score can hold a candle to those of the classic trilogy.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Dark Jaguar - 22nd May 2005

OB1, I was joking. I don't really think Palpatine did it to see if he could. (Though I would...) Actually I think the general sith philosophy on life explains his motives plenty well enough, though how he came to have those motives isn't explained... well eh, it's okay.

Also, regarding the cartoon comment I made. You misunderstood. I wasn't talking about power when I called him a wuss. (They seemed pretty much equal im power from cartoon to movie anyway if you ask me.) I was talking about something that actually matters, his personality. In the cartoon he was a badarse hunter that mercilessly killed many jedi. In the movie, he was a wuss that ran at every opportunity and could barely hold his own against ONE jedi, and he was comic relief! I thought I was supposed to be afraid of him, not laugh at him rolling his hands in a tribute to villians tying women to railroad tracks everywhere.

One thing to make clear. I like star wars. I LIKE it, I don't love it. I enjoy it but I hardly have to consider it perfect because of that. I see the errors but it's no big deal if I'm just there to see a fun little story for the moment that people won't remember 100 years from now.

Memory as proof of excellence? I remember a LOT of really bad stuff in detail. You mention the Ninja Turtles pretty much everyone knows what you are talking about, but they sucked. Star Wars doesn't "suck" but it's just not the extreme amazingness some people assume. It's just a fun little movie. Oh, and asm, I consider pretty much every comic book hero to be shallow, and pretty much every comic book that I've read, so far anyway, has been a shallow pathetic story with all the depth that the 10 year old reading it may be capable of.

I also wanted to say one more thing. I am aware of what Lucas is doing. Here, more than the previous movies, though it was fairly obvious there too, it was VERY clear that it was meant as a nonstop tribute to cheesy 1940's sci-fi serials. But, he chose like the WORST things to make a tribute to. The acting in some parts was pretty nice. It was both good and a nice tribute to the past. For example, I thought Obi Wan and Anakin's shouting match after The Delimbing (apparently "having the high ground" is the greatest weakness of a sith/jedi, I should remember that) was very well done actually. It was the only part of the whole movie where I actually felt some emotion, and it was pretty strong. The scene where he took out the lightsaber in front of the "younglings" (cute word Lucas, what is that supposed to be a reminder that Galactic Basic isn't english? Wow, you are a genius) didn't hit home at all to me. This fanboy... er girl... next to me seemed pretty emotionally hit by it, but to me it was just... ugh. But, I don't think that's because the scene itself was badly done so much as the story leading up to it... well I guess I'll get to this point a little later actually.

Anyway, some of it was pretty good. Other parts just plain sucked though. The love scenes were aweful. I know I know, it was a tribute, but a failed tribute. That didn't sound ANYTHING like the old days. It sounded a lot more like a current day teen drama. I mean it was just PURE teen drama condensed into crystal formations. Let me tell you why I consider these scenes to have failed. I felt ill watching them. I am the viewer. And, what the viewer of a movie feels IS what is important. That is the only way you can really decide whether or not a scene did what it was meant to do is get mass opinions on it. If he had actually succeeded in making a moving love scene, I would have enjoyed the scene. I didn't like it, therefor it wasn't good. Egotistical and self centered? Well yes I suppose it is, but what other method am I supposed to use to determine if it's good or not? It's either my own personal vewpoint, or the overall average of everyone's viewpoints. The latter is the best way to go if you ask me, but this was the first day so I just have myself to go on. I'm not going to have people say "well, you didn't like it but you just don't know what you are supposed to like". Sorry, not my style.

But anyway, for what it did right, and I haven't got into that much yet, there is something it did wrong. What it did right was the slow build up, the steady moving along with Palpatine's extreme patience and the small baby steps. Too bad he screwed it all up right when it came time to make the move to say "come to the dark side!" or he would have if Anakin wasn't such a frickin' idiot. Sorry, but the part where Anakin actually swears himself to the dark side was.. .just... so... badly done. It happened too quickly. Basically, the whole scene just left me saying "um, why did he do that?". It knocked me back into reality pretty frickin' hard. It just felt so FAKE. I know it IS fake, but it wasn't any way any person could possibly ever react to that situation, in ANY circumstances. Whether an exxageration of human behavior, a representation of humanity, an extreme stylized interpretation of human characteristics, or whatever, that scene just was NOT human. I could relate to him up to that point, and I could relate to him AFTER that point if I ignored the scene itself (which is what I did from that point so I could enjoy the movie), but that scene itself...

Basically, that scene consisted of Anakin saying "this isn't the way of a Jedi" even though deep down it was about protecting the one he loves. He, at least the way the scene was designed, clearly only wanted to STOP Mace from killing Palpy (as if he could right?), and he actually was all distraught over what he just did. And yet, RIGHT after that, 10 seconds later, he SWEARS HIMSELF to the frickin' dark side and agrees to kill every single jedi in existance. What the hell? There's no way any real person would EVER make a decision that quickly.

Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth had a much better "fall from his role as the chosen one". At least there he spent a whole night constantly reading books after finding out something shocking that made him question his existance, and there was a show of him actually slowly "seeing" things and "realizing" the darkness was the way to go. Anakin just sort of said "eh, I've got nothing left to lose, why not?" even though he DID still have stuff to lose. That whole scene was akin to one of those caught on camera high speed police chases where some stupid teenager is afraid of getting caught so he instead just keeps doing more and more stupid things just making it worse and worse for himself, only even THERE there's a progression from bad to worse, even if it's quick, not "what have I done?!" to "yes my master I will MURDER CHILDREN". Having him mad at Palpatine and running off for a time to think about everything he's seen and actually come TO a decision would have been a lot better. Instead, with the entire saga of Star Wars told at last, my final opinion of Darth Vader is that he was a stupid punk teenager who went to the dark side, in the end, as the final straw, just because he was afraid of being caught helping a sith. Darth Vader is an idiot.

And here's why that is a problem. Say what you will, perhaps explain that with normal humans sure there is progression, but with a Jedi the force can cause total personality shifts in the weak that, to an outside observer, appear to be rash and completely unthought out. That's all well and good, but it's stupid. I can't relate to that. Every good story, no matter how implausible the physics are, even if there are aliens running about, at least has some sort of touchstone for all the important parts that let you, as a human being, relate to the characters at an emotional or rational level. Take that away and you just have a bunch of stuff that happened that you can't relate to at all, and if you can't relate to it, you can't possibly get into it.

Ryan Wrote:*activates the Goron/Weltall alliance*

I still disagree.

Now, I think that aside villains like Darth Maul don't need much, if any, backstory. He appeared for maybe twelve minutes. He was a henchman, a foil, and a vehicle to sell tons of licensed toys. After he's dead, he's meaningless. A backstory would pretty much be wasted on him.

But Palpatine is far more important to the story, and this is what I'm trying to impress. He's responsible for everything! He is REQUIRED to have motives of some sort! He doesn't just show up and disappear without a trace, he's there for every movie, except four. He is the catalyst driving the entire series of events. He is the Hitler, the Caesar, the Joseph Stalin. Each of those men were men of extraordinary power, and each of them has a laundry list of motives and back story. Stalin for example, fabricated his role in the events of the October Revolution, making himself seem far more important that he was, in order to seize power upon Lenin's death. He was driven by both his own desires and an attachment to his ideology, so strong that he slaughtered countless millions trying to build his vision. He wasn't some two-bit fool who liked to kill because he thought killing was fun, or ruled the USSR just so he could say he ruled the USSR. He had goals and motives abound. All three men did. Most such men do. As such, we find them incredibly interesting long, long after they are dead. Stalin and Hitler both go beyond themselves and are known as well for the ideologies they so fervently forced on others, but no one sees them as mere vessels for those ideologies. Palpatine's cause or goals are never well-fleshed, he just seems to be on a huge power grab for whateve reason, but he doesn't seem like anything but a vessel to advance this goal. Major, earth-shattering villains like this cannot get away with having no motive, even one that is merely semi-apparent. It's bad writing. After all, if not for Palpatine, nothing in the series would have happened. The people of the Republic would have gone about their lives normally, more or less. Palpatine came along and turned the galaxy upside down in a major way. He had to have had a somewhat decent reason for doing it. But we're never privy to that reason, if there is one. Thus, he's a bad character.

No, I don't think so at all. If you think I'm wrong, you can try and find proof of it. But right now, I think he's most certainly the best selling novelist in the world.

Well your points are much clearer now , So the issue isnt weither "Palpatine is a cliche character like Marvin the martian like you said before but what was Palpatine all about? So thats the issue , Hitler you know he was racist had bizzare outlandish views of what he wanted to do to the world. Stalin same thing but just a different set of propaganda bibles as basis.

Well Palpatine was a Sith , They do have their own Ideologies mirror to the Jedi. Playing KOTOR for instance gave me insight to Sith philosophy ,It is fascist and power bent , For instance if their empire was stagnate and in decline they knew of a aproaching attack by a foreign force they would allow one of their own planets to be invaded and destroyed by the enemy , Even if they were well aware in advance since they could use their deaths as a rallying call to organize their empire to respond, The people would turn to them for protection and the lossed lives on that doomed planet would bolster their forces.

Palpatine goal could have been to bring absolute order and unity to the galaxy under his Iron rule , Since after all the Repbulic was prone to corruption indecision and internal conflict.

Besides Palpatine wanted to be King of the universe , He was close to achieving his goals by the time A new hope happend, The Death Star was central to that plan , But the rebels and the remnant Jedi got in the way blowing it up. Palpatine rushed the construction on a second death star hoping to try again , But Luke Skywalker and the Rebel alliance blew it up again, This time both Palps and Vader were wiped out.

Palpatine isnt exactly Hitler,Stalin,Lenin George Lucas has said he is based on alot of things, Including Napoleon bonaparte a guy who like Palpatine also had taken over a republic and crowned himself Emperor.

I know trying to make himself God is somewhat outlandish and oldfasioned by that doesnt make Palpatine a poor concieved character because he doesnt fit the modern view of a dictator or villain like Osama Bin ladin who is clearly motivated by religious fanaticism and hatred.

Eventually they will release a novel on Palpatine for sure, Ian Mcdiarmid the actor who plays Palpatine ,Gave a few hints suggesting the character is alot older then people think.

Palpatine doesnt kill for the sake of it, He is a cold calculating mastermind everything is part of his master plan.

I will admit starwars is not the most saphesticated story around , It was originally concieved as a "flash gordonish" space opera, Thankfully it was better!

Palpatine is far deeper character then Emperor "Ming" the merciless in Flash Gordon.

But heck I still personally think Palpatine is a good character especially in the PT, He really saved the show in episode III.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Great Rumbler - 22nd May 2005

Quote:I triple dog dare OB1 or anyone else to step in and say that Episode III's score can hold a candle to those of the classic trilogy.

I'm listening to the Episode 3 soundtrack right now and, in general, it sounds just as good as most of the music from the OT. I think it has less to do with the music and more to do with your dislike of the movie in general, that's just my impression though.

Quote:This fanboy... er girl...

Eek

TEH PROOF!

Dunno

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Dark Jaguar - 22nd May 2005

I was talking about the person next to me. In case you didn't notice from the... entire history of me being here... I'm not a Star Wars fanboy.

Oh one other thing I noticed. Darunia, I never said the movie was tragically aimed at kids. What I said was it's a great movie FOR kids who don't want to take it too seriously and just want a fun time. It's not a tragedy to make movies aimed at children.

Quote:And OB1 has still yet to say a single word against any of my impeccable flaws. A tip to the witless: You don't win arguments with a bunch of sarcasm and smiley emoticons. In your world, we know that your divine intellect is beyond question, but in the real world, it takes something more than arrogance to drive home a convincing argument.

well there you go

Quote:I was talking about the person next to me. In case you didn't notice from the... entire history of me being here... I'm not a Star Wars fanboy.

Is good for joke though.

I can't wait to go see Episode 3 tomorrow. I have high expectations for it and with good reason to. If I can enjoy Episode 2, then I shouldn't have any problem loving the sequel that's considered by many to be much better. Logic!

Ryan Wrote:*activates the Goron/Weltall alliance*

I still disagree.

Palpatine's role in the OT is sufficient. You find out more about him in Episode III, but there is absolutely no need for that in the OT. You can figure out what his motive is in Return of the Jedi, but if you're too dense to catch it then Episode III will spell it out for you.

If you still have this complaint after you see that movie, then I suggest you just resign yourself to your narrow-minded perspective and stop thinking about Star Wars at all. For someone with such dislike towards the movies you sure do spend a lot of time talking about it. It's pretty sad, when you think about them...

Quote:No, I don't think so at all. If you think I'm wrong, you can try and find proof of it. But right now, I think he's most certainly the best selling novelist in the world.

That's the most absurd claim I've heard from you yet. Do you really think he's sold more books than say, Mark Twain? Come on now...

DJ Wrote:Also, regarding the cartoon comment I made. You misunderstood. I wasn't talking about power when I called him a wuss. (They seemed pretty much equal im power from cartoon to movie anyway if you ask me.) I was talking about something that actually matters, his personality. In the cartoon he was a badarse hunter that mercilessly killed many jedi. In the movie, he was a wuss that ran at every opportunity and could barely hold his own against ONE jedi, and he was comic relief! I thought I was supposed to be afraid of him, not laugh at him rolling his hands in a tribute to villians tying women to railroad tracks everywhere.

Well the reason for that was because the Clone Wars guys basically had to come up with their own ideas for the character because when they were making that cartoon Lucas was still working on the Episode III script. So they made him this ultra-powerful badass in Clone Wars when he really wasn't meant to be like that. Remember that he's basically the precursor to Vader, and making him much more powerful than Vader would be kind of weird, you know?

DJ Wrote:I also wanted to say one more thing. I am aware of what Lucas is doing. Here, more than the previous movies, though it was fairly obvious there too, it was VERY clear that it was meant as a nonstop tribute to cheesy 1940's sci-fi serials. But, he chose like the WORST things to make a tribute to. The acting in some parts was pretty nice. It was both good and a nice tribute to the past. For example, I thought Obi Wan and Anakin's shouting match after The Delimbing (apparently "having the high ground" is the greatest weakness of a sith/jedi, I should remember that) was very well done actually. It was the only part of the whole movie where I actually felt some emotion, and it was pretty strong. The scene where he took out the lightsaber in front of the "younglings" (cute word Lucas, what is that supposed to be a reminder that Galactic Basic isn't english? Wow, you are a genius) didn't hit home at all to me. This fanboy... er girl... next to me seemed pretty emotionally hit by it, but to me it was just... ugh. But, I don't think that's because the scene itself was badly done so much as the story leading up to it... well I guess I'll get to this point a little later actually.

You're acting as if your opinion is objective fact. Many people are quite fond of those "terrible scifi serials" as you put it, and with good reason. Indiana Jones is also a tribute to scifi adventure serials from the same era. If you have no interest in the source material then of course Star Wars isn't for you. Just like if you don't like Westerns and Yakuza movies, Kill Bill probably won't interest you much.

DJ Wrote:Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth had a much better "fall from his role as the chosen one". At least there he spent a whole night constantly reading books after finding out something shocking that made him question his existance, and there was a show of him actually slowly "seeing" things and "realizing" the darkness was the way to go. Anakin just sort of said "eh, I've got nothing left to lose, why not?" even though he DID still have stuff to lose. That whole scene was akin to one of those caught on camera high speed police chases where some stupid teenager is afraid of getting caught so he instead just keeps doing more and more stupid things just making it worse and worse for himself, only even THERE there's a progression from bad to worse, even if it's quick, not "what have I done?!" to "yes my master I will MURDER CHILDREN". Having him mad at Palpatine and running off for a time to think about everything he's seen and actually come TO a decision would have been a lot better. Instead, with the entire saga of Star Wars told at last, my final opinion of Darth Vader is that he was a stupid punk teenager who went to the dark side, in the end, as the final straw, just because he was afraid of being caught helping a sith. Darth Vader is an idiot.

What? That's not what happened at all. Wow, you completely misunderstood the entire movie, and most likely the entire saga as well. Anakin did was he did mainly because of his love for his wife and his fear of losing her. His fall to the dark side was gradual and started in Episode II. He did not turn overnight. He was not afraid of being caught helping a Sith, that's absurd. His final turn was for the same reason that he helped kill Mace: because he needed Palpatine alive to help save his wife. And even then he had no real allegiance to Palps as he told Padme that he wanted to kill the evil Sith Lord and rule the galaxy along with her. He committed horrible acts, but taking into account where he came from and what had happened in his life up until that point, his fall is completely believable. People will do insane things for love, even murder.

As for Final Fantasy VII, and all of the FF games for that matter, to compare them storywise to even the most mediocre of movies or books out there is pretty silly. Every single one of those games has a very amateurish, fanfiction-like story to them with immature brooding characters that are only given any real respect by likewise brooding teens. Come on, I don't believe that you really think so highly of those stories.

OB1 Wrote:Palpatine's role in the OT is sufficient. You find out more about him in Episode III, but there is absolutely no need for that in the OT. You can figure out what his motive is in Return of the Jedi, but if you're too dense to catch it then Episode III will spell it out for you.

Besides "I want to be king of the universe"? What?

Quote:If you still have this complaint after you see that movie, then I suggest you just resign yourself to your narrow-minded perspective and stop thinking about Star Wars at all. For someone with such dislike towards the movies you sure do spend a lot of time talking about it. It's pretty sad, when you think about them...

[Image: collegetextbook.jpg]

Quote: That's the most absurd claim I've heard from you yet. Do you really think he's sold more books than say, Mark Twain? Come on now...

Absolutely. King is a far more prolific writer than Twain or Dickens or Melville, and has exposure those men could have only dreamed of.

Quote: Besides "I want to be king of the universe"? What?

Want?

Quote:http://tcforums.com/collegetextbook.jpg

Lol

A step up from your usual rebuttals. ;)

Quote:Absolutely. King is a far more prolific writer than Twain or Dickens or Melville, and has exposure those men could have only dreamed of.

YES

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Private Hudson - 23rd May 2005

Final Fantasy VII's story has very real depth. Though, it's quite derivitive of many other works. Even Star Wars.

Thinking about it, Sephiroth and Jenova are almost direct parallels to Darth Vader and the Emperor. Sephiroth the greatest of the great soldiers (Hell, even the elite Soldier force could be considered an equivilent of the Jedi.. though it's abit of a stretch) being nothing more than a puppet to Jenova's ultimate scheme of destruction.

And not to upset OB1 too much, but I do prefer FFVII's story over Star Wars 1 through 6.

As far as what makes great characters.. I do believe the depth truely enriches a character, but I do agree with OB1 that characteristics are enough to make a character great. Hell, my favourite character ever in a movie is Hudson from Aliens, a character with a virtually no story, but his personality just shines enough to make me laugh with almost every line. His demise at the end truely upset me.

Going back to FFVII, Jenova, a character I consider to be one of my personal favourite villains ever (or even my very favourite) and her/it's motives aren't anything more than she is pure evil and wants nothing short of the ultimate destruction of everything. It's the way she goes about doing this that makes her so great. Manipulating peoples minds, killing nearly an entire species (the Ancients) before finally being trapped. Being discovered thousands of years later, she starts weaving her web again, manipulating most powerful characters in the game to start a war in Wutai, to get Shinra to change their business to better suit her plans, etc. etc. Much like Sidious, her character is central and pivotal to the story of the game. The catylist and driving force behind everything that happens.

.. I kind of forgot the point I was going to make.. but it was great to reminisce. :)

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Dark Jaguar - 23rd May 2005

Manipulating? Jenova seemed completely incapable of THOUGHT in that game.

And I'd just like to say the whole brooding teen drama thing is exactly what I'm accusing Star Wars of, well, Anakin anyway.

I do know they were taking Anakin slowly to the dark side since episode 2. That slow progression was great, up until the final execution. It just didn't seem any good. What convinced Anakin to swear himself to Palpatine anyway? I mean seriously, he was saying "What have I done?" not 5 seconds before that. That shows he was still questioning himself. I understand he wants that info, but he still shouldn't have just gone so completely so quickly.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - OB1 - 23rd May 2005

He swore himself to Palpatine for the same reason that he cut off Mace's arm. That was very obvious to me: to save Padme's life. He knew that Palps was an evil sith lord and he never stopped trying to overthrow him (ever see Empire Strikes Back?).

As for FF, I've never understood why gamers love those storylines so much. I mean I enjoy them, I do enjoy the stories, but for 16-bit games. You have to compare them to other game storylines, which for the most part is crap. There's nothing inherent that make games have crappier stories than books or movies (well, maybe ten to twenty years ago), it's just that most of these game designers really aren't good storytellers. The FF stories are all extremely derivative, cliched messes... if you really judge them with higher standards. They're fun, and the atmosphere that is created by the combination of visuals, music (oh that wonderful music!), and simple plot, makes for a really fun experience. I'm sure it's very tempting as a game designer to want to make an interesting story for their games, but most of them really don't have that kind of talent.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Darunia - 23rd May 2005

All right, OB1, let me ask you this: are the prequels, in your opinion, better than the original trilogy? If so, why, and if not, why not?

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - OB1 - 23rd May 2005

Episodes I and II, no. Episode III, yes.

The OT is inherently more fun. It's why Lucas started in the middle of his story, because it was simply more fun. No exposition, just right into the middle of the action.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Private Hudson - 23rd May 2005

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Manipulating? Jenova seemed completely incapable of THOUGHT in that game.

Well, she does speak to you directly a couple of times. But all the history that is provided to you in the game suggests that she was the puppeteer behind everything. And it basically explains to you when you find out abou the Ancients that she had the abilities to manipulate, to implant images into peoples minds, etc. I can't remember the exact quotes anymore, though.

Otherwise, it's all just one big coincidence that you find out that she was 'discovered', then immediately following everything bad starts happening in the world.

Oh, and certain portions in the game where she directly controls the characters gives it away, too. :p

Anyways, this is way off topic, so I'll drop it.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Curious George - 23rd May 2005

I don't really like Star Wars as much as some people do, but this trailer looked really cool so I will try to catch it maybe later in the week. I'm more of a Star Trek fan than Star Wars, but mainly the original series.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Weltall - 23rd May 2005

Private Hudson Wrote:Well, she does speak to you directly a couple of times. But all the history that is provided to you in the game suggests that she was the puppeteer behind everything. And it basically explains to you when you find out abou the Ancients that she had the abilities to manipulate, to implant images into peoples minds, etc. I can't remember the exact quotes anymore, though.

Otherwise, it's all just one big coincidence that you find out that she was 'discovered', then immediately following everything bad starts happening in the world.

Oh, and certain portions in the game where she directly controls the characters gives it away, too. :p

Anyways, this is way off topic, so I'll drop it.

I'll break in to add that I believe that after Sephiroth reappears in the Shinra HQ, he is nothing more than Jenova's mouthpiece. His form is being used, and there is some of the real Sephiroth within, but it's really Jenova you're encountering and chasing the entire time.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Dark Jaguar - 23rd May 2005

It's certainly open to interpretation, isn't it?

But anyway, there are certainly some things in there that make you think Star Wars, though I will add the latest trilogy was made AFTER FF7.

However, if you want pure poorly hidden and obvious ripping off of the entire Star Wars story by Square, Kingdom Hearts is the way to go.

I think I like Maleficent more than Palpatine... Well, Maleficent never takes the time to manipulate some multiverse federation of worlds, she just plain tempts the one who was originally chosen as the destined warrior of the Light, Riku, and convinces him that using the powers of darkness is the only hope for saving "the girl", Kairi. But, right about the part where Riku actually plunges Maleficent deeper into darkness and gets possessed by someone even worse that was just using Maleficent, that's where the story takes a bit of a different turn. If you want her motivation, just watch sleeping beauty.