Tendo City
Dorks vs IGN - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Dorks vs IGN (/showthread.php?tid=2045)

Pages: 1 2

Dorks vs IGN - OB1 - 20th July 2004

The only reason why people consider Doom to be a "classic" is because is was a technological marvel at the time, and somewhat entertaining. But the game has not aged well, none of id's game have. That's certainly proof that they're more fad material than gaming greatness. Truly great games stand the test of time.

Dorks vs IGN - A Black Falcon - 20th July 2004

If you look at just about any site's 'best PC games ever' lists, Doom and Quake almost always rank quite highly... but they haven't stood the test of time?

And if you want id games that aged well, I think Commander Keen is still good... :)

Dorks vs IGN - Great Rumbler - 20th July 2004

Quote:But the Capcom characters look more like real people. SSB characters just don't really look like that... it looks cartoonish in the violence, not that realistic. The only way I can see it working is if they used the mini-SF characters from Puzzle Fighter and Pocket Fighter...

It wouldn't be that hard to make cartoonish versions of the Capcom characters.

That game I was talking about in my previous post [Dream Mix TV Wolrd Fighters] had Simon Belmont and Solid Snake and it fit together just fine.

Besides, SSBM has Link, Samus, and Captain Falcon. They're hardly "cartoony" characters.

As I said, if they did it like those characters and made them have a cartoonish look that fit in with the SSB characters it could work (like the style in those two games, as I said), but not with the standard SF characters. They would just look horribly out of place...

Dorks vs IGN - Great Rumbler - 20th July 2004

Capcom does more than Street Fighter.

You wouldn't know it if you play "Capcom Vs" fighting games...

A Black Falcon Wrote:If you look at just about any site's 'best PC games ever' lists, Doom and Quake almost always rank quite highly... but they haven't stood the test of time?

And if you want id games that aged well, I think Commander Keen is still good... :)

Best PC games lists are always a joke. Doom was a novelty. The gameplay was never more than that. Id Software does amazing graphics with very simple gameplay that doesn't totally suck, that is why so many people love them. Commander Keen is good is you never had a console and couldn't play something far superior like Mario or Metroid, etc.

The only thing I'll give id software credit for is coming up with gameplay ideas that (even though they couldn't pull off well) other developers can run with and improve upon.

OB1, it's kind of absurd to say that though Doom and Quake (Quake II and III didn't get anywhere near as much universal praise, but Doom and Quake I do) have massive fanbases, get on 'top 10 best PC games ever' lists just about every time (both were in all of the PCG Top 50 lists I can remember, and Doom certainly was in the top 10; Doom also won GameSpy's 2001 top 50 list and Quake was in the top 10, etc...), have lots of people saying that they are still fun games to play (especially in multiplayer mode) to this day, etc., because you dislike them they are actually awful? Seriously? It's an "opinion", OB1. Of yours. That doesn't make it fact that makes everyone who doesn't see it a moron.

Sure, id has decayed somewhat over time... Quake II isn't as good as Quake I and QIII was also not as good. And id is definitely pre-eminently a company about making amazing graphics engines. Can't deny that. But Quake, and especially Doom? While people can be messed up about what a good game is, these aren't softcore fans you know... and Doom has stood the test of time by any measurement I can make.

Sure, I'd rather play Dark Forces or Jedi Knight than Doom or Quake. But that's probably the Star Wars fan in me talking as much as anything... :)

Doom and Quake are praised because they helped the PC gaming industry and because they were novelties. Doom the first good-looking sort-of-3D game, Quake the first good-looking truly 3D FPS. The gameplay in both titles is extremely simple and mindless. If I want to play a mindless shooter I'll play Gradius or Gunstar Heroes, which do the mindless shooting thing much better than any of id's efforts. Id's games are praised first and foremost because of their technical feats; there is absolutely nothing unique or revolutionary about their games' gameplay. There's nothing an id software game does better (gameplay-wise) than shooters that came before them. Absolutely nothing. Just look at Doom 3 for example. You know people just want it because it looks pretty. The gameplay is just Doom but slower. That's it. Run through corridor, shoot poorly-designed monster. Rinse and repeat. There's nothing wrong with that, but there's also nothing spectacular about that. They get way too much praise than they deserve.

Dorks vs IGN - Private Hudson - 20th July 2004

I still occasionally go back to play the original Doom. The atmosphere and simplicity I find to be quite fun. And I like playing other peoples' created levels.

The "blast everything in site and get to the end of the level with very little objectives" reminds me a lot of Halo. :)

Dorks vs IGN - EdenMaster - 20th July 2004

Ohhh!

That was a BURN!!!

*ahem*

Thank you.

Dorks vs IGN - Great Rumbler - 21st July 2004

My dad has played through all three Doom games at least twice.

Dorks vs IGN - A Black Falcon - 21st July 2004

OB1, you're probably lucky that no one here is a big Doom/Quake fan... :)

True, the other games in their engines can sometimes be better than their games. Probably not for Doom (that game's better than Heretic or Hexen for sure, or Chex Quest...), but for Quake 3? Q3 is not as good as Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force and Star Trek Elite Force 2, Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, etc., I'd say... I've only played a little of Quake 3, but it seems like a pretty simple 'run and shoot' thing. Very fast... and so are all the games in the engine. They all play somewhat similarly in ways, and you can tell that they're in the same engine... fast, not that great in big outdoor areas (though it gets better as things progress), etc... It's a fun engine, but not perfect for sure. Like in JK2/JKJA. Those games are fun, I can't deny it. I just played the Jedi Academy demo yesterday. Thought it was pretty good. Definitely better than JK2. I'll say more if anyone else cares... but it did make me want the game, unlike the JK2 demo...

But I still have the fundamental complaints that the Q3-engine JK games were sped up and made more like Quake and less like Jedi Knight and that they made the path you take blindingly obvious like most FPSes and not obsured like JK. Sure, there are still puzzles and jumping puzzles and stuff, but you never have much of a question as to where you are supposed to be going. It's too bad.

And I got to mention it, of course. Automaps are great and I sadly miss them in FPSes.

Anyway, my point... Doom is a great classic shooter. Quake is good too, but it's not as good as Doom. And Quake II and Quake III went downhill more.

edit: as for Doom 3, here's one thing that'll be limiting who gets it. The system requirements.

Quote:An Nvidia GeForce 3 graphics card or ATI Technologies 8500: Column author Dwight Silverman says that given the game's demanding visuals, serious gamers should splurge for a GPU from Nvidia's GeForce FX or 6800 line or ATI's Radeon 9800 or X800 series. He says more frugal PC owners can make do with a GeForce 5900XT or a Radeon 9600XT.

A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500: Though these will run the game, Silverman suggests a 2GHz Pentium or equivalent, with the "ideal" processor being 3 GHz or over.

384MB of memory: Again, Silverman stresses that this is a minimum requirement, and he recommends 512MB at least, with 1GB preferred.

Two GB of hard drive space:. Four GB is suggested if your PC is running low on free space.

Dorks vs IGN - Great Rumbler - 21st July 2004

I guess I won't be playing Doom 3 on my computer...

Dorks vs IGN - OB1 - 21st July 2004

All of id games are nothing but average shooters with great engines. They get praised in the same way people praise a Miyamoto title, which is just so insane that even you have to agree with me on that. The games are pretty fun, but worth the respect and praise they get? Oh hell no.

And I'd love it if there were some die-hard id fans here. I'd love to see them try to defend their favorite crappy company (the guy I'm making Eduardo the Magical Toaster with is actually a big id fan who's getting Doom 3 on day one, yet even he admits that he's mostly looking forward to using the engine).

BTW Hudson, remember that I consider Halo to be the most overrated game this gen.

I'd need a new video card to just meet the minimum requirements... and even then I somehow doubt I'd get great framerates...

I'd call Doom better than average, for sure. It made a huge, huge impression when it came out and for the time was extremely impressive... yes, it has very simplistic gameplay. But is that always bad? I wouldn't say so. And I somehow doubt that everyone hates their character designs like you do. :) Quake and its sequels I'm closer to agreeing with you on, though, as I said.

Then you must also hate Serious Sam (wait, I seem to remember that you do, right?). It's just about the closest thing in recent years to classic Doom... sure it's not exactly complex, but I did have fun blasting through the demo. Like Doom.

But I am a pretty big fan of the Commander Keen games... I think the first trilogy was the best ones. Oh, 4 and 6 are good too, but they don't match up to the originals. Great games. Better than most console platform/action titles, I'd say...

Like I said, Doom was huge because of its technology, not its gameplay. Same goes for all of id's games.

And the art of id's games is atrocious, come on. Giant pink monsters, flaming skulls, giant weird flying tomatos, two-headed skeletons with rockets on their shoulders... please. Just like Gabe said, they look like the kind of stuff angry little kids drew in their math notebook during class. Pentagrams, flaming skulls, etc. Very childish stuff that's supposed to be all dark and serious.

Pentagons? I think you mean pentagrams... :)

Here's one problem, OB1. ID has changed a lot over the years. Doom had a lot of people working on it who left not too long afterwards -- John Romero, Tom Hall (who I think is great for being the main guy behind Keen... he did Anachronox too, btw...), American McGee, etc... I don't think you can just lump all of their games together like you do. They aren't that similar. Sure, you run around and shoot stuff, but the environments and implementations are definitely different. And Doom is still entertaining. What's so wrong with running around and shooting things?

Quote:Pentagons? I think you mean pentagrams...

Haha, that's what happens when you're writing and have news on your mind. :D

Quote:Here's one problem, OB1. ID has changed a lot over the years. Doom had a lot of people working on it who left not too long afterwards -- John Romero, Tom Hall (who I think is great for being the main guy behind Keen... he did Anachronox too, btw...), American McGee, etc... I don't think you can just lump all of their games together like you do. They aren't that similar. Sure, you run around and shoot stuff, but the environments and implementations are definitely different. And Doom is still entertaining. What's so wrong with running around and shooting things?

If you look at Doom 3 you can tell that they really haven't changed that much over the years. They still have the same crappy artwork, the same basic, generic gameplay, and the same technical prowess. They really didn't lose much.

Their games are all identical to each other, with the exception of the Keen games. Mindless corridor shooters. Same stuff every time. Is there anything wrong with that? No, of course not. But there's also nothing great about it either, which is my point. They get way too much praise for what they do.

Artwork, that is more similar, since the two main artists on Doom are still with the company. And the lead programmer is of course the same. But game designers? Those are gone. Map designers? One person now at ID did one map for Ultimate Doom; all the others left years ago. It's a different group for many important parts...

So you never thought Doom had any atmosphere or anything? Not scary? Because I hear that the other way in most of what I read about Doom... yes, part of why a lot of people still like it is because it was so great when it came out. But isn't that why you remember most games? Because they were great when they came out? Sure, there were games that did more than Doom before it -- see Ultima Underworld (though that's an RPG) -- or not that long after it -- like System Shock or Dark Forces -- that also deserve to be remembered well, but I don't think anyone who is thinking could say with much credibility that Doom doesn't also belong on a shortlist of great PC games.

Dorks vs IGN - OB1 - 22nd July 2004

Quote:Artwork, that is more similar, since the two main artists on Doom are still with the company. And the lead programmer is of course the same. But game designers? Those are gone. Map designers? One person now at ID did one map for Ultimate Doom; all the others left years ago. It's a different group for many important parts...
That's not true at all, and if you've read any recent id software interviews you'll know that the remaining members of id have lost very little and still function in very much the same way as they did from the beginning. They just have more money and experience now.
Quote:So you never thought Doom had any atmosphere or anything? Not scary?
... are you serious? You actually found Doom to be even a tad bit scary and atmospheric? Hahaha, that is quite amusing. I'm sorry, but the lame rock music(and polka in some levels!), hot pink and green monsters, and colorful backgrounds made for an experience less scary than the castles in Mario World.
Quote:Because I hear that the other way in most of what I read about Doom... yes, part of why a lot of people still like it is because it was so great when it came out. But isn't that why you remember most games? Because they were great when they came out? Sure, there were games that did more than Doom before it -- see Ultima Underworld (though that's an RPG) -- or not that long after it -- like System Shock or Dark Forces -- that also deserve to be remembered well, but I don't think anyone who is thinking could say with much credibility that Doom doesn't also belong on a shortlist of great PC games.
It's simply not a great game, and never was. It was praised for its graphics, that's it. The gameplay is average at best. Sure there are some games that I look fondly at because of nostalgic reasons, but a good game will stand the test of time.

Dorks vs IGN - A Black Falcon - 22nd July 2004

Official Doom 3 benchmarks. http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

Quote:That's not true at all, and if you've read any recent id software interviews you'll know that the remaining members of id have lost very little and still function in very much the same way as they did from the beginning. They just have more money and experience now.

Read.
http://archive.gamespy.com/legacy/editorials/doom3_a.shtm (recent followup - http://www.gamespy.com/articles/531/531715p1.html)

It is a fact that Tom Hall and John Romero did most of the design for Doom, and they left. It's also a fact that no one who made any maps for Doom or Doom 2 is still with ID, nor have any of those people been there at the beginning of the Doom 3 project. Yes, the ID people know FPSes. But the people there are ones who were working on the Quake games mainly, not Doom... except for the Carmacks of course. Which is why the art style is similar. :)

Quote:It's simply not a great game, and never was. It was praised for its graphics, that's it. The gameplay is average at best. Sure there are some games that I look fondly at because of nostalgic reasons, but a good game will stand the test of time.

So universal acclaim, continual appearances on all of the the best PC games ever lists (that magazines or major sites do), etc, etc... look, it's perfectly fine to say you dislike it, but trying to deny that it belongs on ANY best games lists or halls of fame? Huh? It's not even remotely sensible.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/101195p1.html
http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/july01/top50index/ (look in the top 10)

Quote:It is a fact that Tom Hall and John Romero did most of the design for Doom, and they left. It's also a fact that no one who made any maps for Doom or Doom 2 is still with ID, nor have any of those people been there at the beginning of the Doom 3 project. Yes, the ID people know FPSes. But the people there are ones who were working on the Quake games mainly, not Doom... except for the Carmacks of course. Which is why the art style is similar.

There was a fairly recent interview up at ve3d where the id guys talked about how there was no major gap felt when Hall, McGee and Romero left and that id is still largely the same company as before. Tom Hall and John Romero did not do most of the design work for Doom, it was a group effort, and most of that group is still at id! Tom Hall wasn't even really a game designer, he was in charge of the business aspects of id. Romero did level design and a bit of programming, and McGee only made some levels. You greatly overestimate their contribution to id.

BTW that gamespy article is a complete farce.

Quote:So universal acclaim, continual appearances on all of the the best PC games ever lists (that magazines or major sites do), etc, etc... look, it's perfectly fine to say you dislike it, but trying to deny that it belongs on ANY best games lists or halls of fame? Huh? It's not even remotely sensible.

Halo was lauded as the best game of 2002 even though it was one of the most rushed and flawed games of that year, so excuse me if I don't give top ten lists that much credence. Top 10 PC lists are usually laughable because of the criteria they use to rank games. It's usually not about gameplay, but rather technical feats and influence. Doom is certainly an influential game, but if it were a console game first and console gamers were making a best-of list, it probably wouldn't make it since it could never, ever compare to truly great and timeless masterpieces like Pacman, Super Mario Bros., Zelda, Tetris, etc. That is the PC way. The most-anticipated FPS's are rarely ever the ones with the great and unique gameplay, they're almost always the ones that do something really well on a technical and/or presentation level. Why that is I'm not quite certain, though I do have my theories. Doom is nowhere near as good as any of Blizzard's games (even the older, less popular ones), yet many people still call Doom the best PC game ever. They just don't think about it, and using the excuse of "most people think this, so it must be true" is pretty sad, Brian.

Dorks vs IGN - A Black Falcon - 22nd July 2004

Quote:There was a fairly recent interview up at ve3d where the id guys talked about how there was no major gap felt when Hall, McGee and Romero left and that id is still largely the same company as before. Tom Hall and John Romero did not do most of the design work for Doom, it was a group effort, and most of that group is still at id! Tom Hall wasn't even really a game designer, he was in charge of the business aspects of id. Romero did level design and a bit of programming, and McGee only made some levels. You greatly overestimate their contribution to id.

That wasn't me, that was from this article...
http://archive.gamespy.com/legacy/editorials/doom3_a.shtm

Quote:BTW that gamespy article is a complete farce.

How about the IGN retro-review? I thought it was pretty good...

I couldn't find any of IGN's (frusterating because I know they did them... but where are they hiding...) and obviously can't post PC Gamers because those are from magazines... I always trusted PCG the most though. They called TIE Fighter best game ever in 1998 and Jedi Knight best game ever in '98 (Half-Life in '00, obviously; there wasn't a '99 awards), as well as Civilization II winning second all three of those years... pretty good choices. :)

Quote:Halo was lauded as the best game of 2002 even though it was one of the most rushed and flawed games of that year, so excuse me if I don't give top ten lists that much credence. Top 10 PC lists are usually laughable because of the criteria they use to rank games. It's usually not about gameplay, but rather technical feats and influence. Doom is certainly an influential game, but if it were a console game first and console gamers were making a best-of list, it probably wouldn't make it since it could never, ever compare to truly great and timeless masterpieces like Pacman, Super Mario Bros., Zelda, Tetris, etc. That is the PC way. The most-anticipated FPS's are rarely ever the ones with the great and unique gameplay, they're almost always the ones that do something really well on a technical and/or presentation level. Why that is I'm not quite certain, though I do have my theories. Doom is nowhere near as good as any of Blizzard's games (even the older, less popular ones), yet many people still call Doom the best PC game ever. They just don't think about it, and using the excuse of "most people think this, so it must be true" is pretty sad, Brian.

When enough people say something, you need to consider why they do. It doesn't mean that it's something you will like as well obviously, but things like that don't usually happen randomly! And my point was that it isn't just a few reviewers or best-games lists, it's ALL of them... that definitely says something. You just as obviously don't agree with the message, but it says something and it's pretty dumb to pass it all off as just because of the graphics. It's pretty clear to me that there was more to it than that. You might not see the shooting action as especially fun or like the level designs, atmosphere, or characters, but so many people did that it's just incredibly stupid to try to say that they are all idiots.

As for great and unique gameplay, that is true everywhere. It's no more common on consoles for the games with the truly amazing gameplay to be fully recognized for it... so that 'point' of yours is badly flawed if you mean it to say that console gamers recognize quality better. That's just not true.

On an unrelated note, I prefer to call them ID than id, mostly because in the Keen games they called themselves ID. :)

Quote:That wasn't me, that was from this article...
http://archive.gamespy.com/legacy/e...ls/doom3_a.shtm <http://archive.gamespy.com/legacy/editorials/doom3_a.shtm>

...which you used to argue your point.

Quote:How about the IGN retro-review? I thought it was pretty good...

I couldn't find any of IGN's (frusterating because I know they did them... but where are they hiding...) and obviously can't post PC Gamers because those are from magazines... I always trusted PCG the most though. They called TIE Fighter best game ever in 1998 and Jedi Knight best game ever in '98 (Half-Life in '00, obviously; there wasn't a '99 awards), as well as Civilization II winning second all three of those years... pretty good choices.

"Trust"? Don't you mean "agree with"?

Quote:When enough people say something, you need to consider why they do. It doesn't mean that it's something you will like as well obviously, but things like that don't usually happen randomly! And my point was that it isn't just a few reviewers or best-games lists, it's ALL of them... that definitely says something. You just as obviously don't agree with the message, but it says something and it's pretty dumb to pass it all off as just because of the graphics. It's pretty clear to me that there was more to it than that. You might not see the shooting action as especially fun or like the level designs, atmosphere, or characters, but so many people did that it's just incredibly stupid to try to say that they are all idiots.
I'm not calling them idiots, just lemmings and graphics whores. Doom is like a holy grail for PC gamers, and most of them probably don't even stop to think for a second if it deserves that praise. Doom is an average game that inspired dozens of great games, and apparently that is enough for most people.

Quote:As for great and unique gameplay, that is true everywhere. It's no more common on consoles for the games with the truly amazing gameplay to be fully recognized for it... so that 'point' of yours is badly flawed if you mean it to say that console gamers recognize quality better. That's just not true.
No, we just have a far better selection of quality titles, don't even try to deny that. But it's not the industry's fault, they don't have Nintendo, Sega, Konami, Namco, Square, etc.

Quote:On an unrelated note, I prefer to call them ID than id, mostly because in the Keen games they called themselves ID.

The company name is pronounced like id as in "id and ego", not like I.D.

Dorks vs IGN - Dark Jaguar - 23rd July 2004

Here's my question. Why is Doom praised as such a genre starter when Wolfenstein 3D came first?

Dorks vs IGN - OB1 - 23rd July 2004

Wolfenstein looked like crap.

Dorks vs IGN - A Black Falcon - 23rd July 2004

Quote:...which you used to argue your point.

Have you read the article, OB1? It's not even pro-Doom 3... just a worthwhile read...

Quote:"Trust"? Don't you mean "agree with"?

I don't always agree with them. But I trust that most of the time I'll be able to get good information out of the review and the score that will tell me if I would like the game.

Quote:I'm not calling them idiots, just lemmings and graphics whores. Doom is like a holy grail for PC gamers, and most of them probably don't even stop to think for a second if it deserves that praise. Doom is an average game that inspired dozens of great games, and apparently that is enough for most people.

When it came out it was a massive, massive step forward in the genre. Probably revolutionary. Did you hate it back when it came out as well? Okay, so I didn't play it back then, but I've said plenty of times that I'm not the best person to be talking about FPSes... :) And I certainly heard about it and saw it. Games generally don't get buzz like that and legions of devoted hardcore fans without something there worth going back to again and again... and just graphics won't do that.

Quote:The company name is pronounced like id as in "id and ego", not like I.D.

It changed to that around the time of the Doom release, yes, but in the first Keen trilogy it's capitalized and they say that it doesn't stand for anything... I recall one place where they say something about 'we like to think it stands for 'In Demand'' or something like that...

Quote:Here's my question. Why is Doom praised as such a genre starter when Wolfenstein 3D came first?

Oh, Wolfenstein is certainly remembered as well. First great first-person shooter. But Doom went way beyond it... multiplayer, more weapons, enemies, more realistic looking, multiple height levels, etc, etc... Doom blew away Wolf and made the FPS super popular in a way that Wolf only hinted at. That's why it's so well known and remembered.

Quote:No, we just have a far better selection of quality titles, don't even try to deny that. But it's not the industry's fault, they don't have Nintendo, Sega, Konami, Namco, Square, etc.

I'd deny it if you tried to say that there isn't enough good games for someone to play on PC. Because that's absurdly false. PC has, if you like the genres, many more games than consoles that you can sink untold hours into... and it has genres that consoles simply cannot do well, like military simulations (mostly planes, but there are some of tanks, submarines, etc), strategy games, graphic adventures, etc...

Consoles might get more releases on the shelves. But when you factor in the fact that there is so much stuff available on the web (and I mean legally) for PC that advantage gets smaller all the time...

Dorks vs IGN - OB1 - 26th July 2004

Quote:Have you read the article, OB1? It's not even pro-Doom 3... just a worthwhile read...

Yeah I know, I read some of it. The points are ridiculous though.

Quote:I don't always agree with them. But I trust that most of the time I'll be able to get good information out of the review and the score that will tell me if I would like the game.

PC Gamer gives just about every half-decent shooter an 80% or higher. They score that genre way too high.

Quote:When it came out it was a massive, massive step forward in the genre. Probably revolutionary. Did you hate it back when it came out as well? Okay, so I didn't play it back then, but I've said plenty of times that I'm not the best person to be talking about FPSes... And I certainly heard about it and saw it. Games generally don't get buzz like that and legions of devoted hardcore fans without something there worth going back to again and again... and just graphics won't do that.

I only liked it for the graphics, and it was nowhere near revolutionary. The gameplay had been done before in Wolfenstein 3D and a few other earlier FPSs. It just looked good.

Quote:It changed to that around the time of the Doom release, yes, but in the first Keen trilogy it's capitalized and they say that it doesn't stand for anything... I recall one place where they say something about 'we like to think it stands for 'In Demand'' or something like that...

I've only ever heard them say "id", and that's how it's called today so that's the name.

Quote:Oh, Wolfenstein is certainly remembered as well. First great first-person shooter. But Doom went way beyond it... multiplayer, more weapons, enemies, more realistic looking, multiple height levels, etc, etc... Doom blew away Wolf and made the FPS super popular in a way that Wolf only hinted at. That's why it's so well known and remembered.

Doom didn't play very differently from Wolfenstein 3D, it just looked better and was a bit faster. Go back and play both games.

Quote:I'd deny it if you tried to say that there isn't enough good games for someone to play on PC. Because that's absurdly false. PC has, if you like the genres, many more games than consoles that you can sink untold hours into... and it has genres that consoles simply cannot do well, like military simulations (mostly planes, but there are some of tanks, submarines, etc), strategy games, graphic adventures, etc...

Consoles might get more releases on the shelves. But when you factor in the fact that there is so much stuff available on the web (and I mean legally) for PC that advantage gets smaller all the time...

There aren't nearly as many incredibly good PC titles as there are console ones. Unless you really love flight sims.

Dorks vs IGN - A Black Falcon - 26th July 2004

Quote:I've only ever heard them say "id", and that's how it's called today so that's the name.

Then you never played a Keen game. It's uppercase in all of them (well, uppercase or with a capital I and lowercase d... and Keen 1-3 aren't a good example because the ingame font is all caps... but the logo is caps too. :)). And in the 'About ID' page in Keen 1/2/3 (their first game), it says ID Software and under it 'We're In Demand''... :)

Quote:Doom didn't play very differently from Wolfenstein 3D, it just looked better and was a bit faster. Go back and play both games.

Similar gameplay, sure, but with much better graphics, more varied weapons, environments, enemies, etc., multiplayer (that's a big gameplay change!), etc...

Quote:PC Gamer gives just about every half-decent shooter an 80% or higher. They score that genre way too high.

Or maybe a lot of them are decent?

Quote:There aren't nearly as many incredibly good PC titles as there are console ones. Unless you really love flight sims.

The difference is slight and, as I said, PC games generally take longer to play or have more options for extending their life than console games, so that difference is irrelevant.

Dorks vs IGN - OB1 - 26th July 2004

Quote:Then you never played a Keen game. It's uppercase in all of them (well, uppercase or with a capital I and lowercase d... and Keen 1-3 aren't a good example because the ingame font is all caps... but the logo is caps too. ). And in the 'About ID' page in Keen 1/2/3 (their first game), it says ID Software and under it 'We're In Demand''...

Of course I've played the Keen games, but I didn't pay attention to the logo. It's id now, and has been that way longer than ID.

Quote:Similar gameplay, sure, but with much better graphics, more varied weapons, environments, enemies, etc., multiplayer (that's a big gameplay change!), etc...

So Sonic 2 was a revolutionary change over Sonic 1 because it had multiplayer?? And I never knew that adding new enemies, levels, and weapons made a game revolutionary. Wow, I guess every game ever made is revolutionary then! Lol

Quote:Or maybe a lot of them are decent?

Decent is 60%, maybe 70%. Really it should be 50%, which is neither great nor bad, but reviewers never use scores correctly. I mean come on, do you really think that Medieval: Total War is only as good as Serious Sam The Second Encounter? Because they got about the same score from PC Gamer.

Quote:The difference is slight and, as I said, PC games generally take longer to play or have more options for extending their life than console games, so that difference is irrelevant.

Oh so I guess that means that Morrowind is better than Super Mario Bros. because it takes 100 times as long to beat it. Rolleyes

Don't tell me you really believe that there are anywhere near as many superb PC games as there are console games. :screwy:

Dorks vs IGN - A Black Falcon - 26th July 2004

Quote:Of course I've played the Keen games, but I didn't pay attention to the logo. It's id now, and has been that way longer than ID.

Sure, but I can spell it how I want to even if it's wrong. :)

Quote:So Sonic 2 was a revolutionary change over Sonic 1 because it had multiplayer?? And I never knew that adding new enemies, levels, and weapons made a game revolutionary. Wow, I guess every game ever made is revolutionary then!

The most revolutionary thing was the graphics. At that point in time such a change really was huge... bigger than a new graphics engine is now, for sure. And you know as well as I do that Doom multiplayer is on a slightly different level than Sonic... what a stupid example...

Quote:Decent is 60%, maybe 70%. Really it should be 50%, which is neither great nor bad, but reviewers never use scores correctly. I mean come on, do you really think that Medieval: Total War is only as good as Serious Sam The Second Encounter? Because they got about the same score from PC Gamer.

If you think that, then why do you dislike Gamespot? They're the closest to saying that of the game review publications I know of, after all...

Of course I think that Medieval is a much better game than Serious Sam. Serious Sam isn't bad though, it's good, so it also deserves a good score... just not quite that good. Medieval is a fantastic game. ... okay, so I haven't played it nearly as much as I should. I'd rather play Warcraft III... :) But Medieval is really, really good and I can understand why Gamespot ranked it above WC3 in the 2001 awards. I don't agree, but I certainly understand how they could do it.

I also understand how they could rank Serious Sam game of the year, of course. Some people appreciate simplistic shooters a lot more than you do... :)

Quote:Oh so I guess that means that Morrowind is better than Super Mario Bros. because it takes 100 times as long to beat it.

Don't tell me you really believe that there are anywhere near as many superb PC games as there are console games.

As I said on MSN, I don't see why this is a point. So there are some more console games. So? Who cares? There are a huge number of great PC games. Far more than anyone could ever play, in just about every genre consoles have (excepting, probably, fighting games). And they have more replay value than most console titles due to such things as: 1) online multiplayer 2) map / level / game editors 3) longer games (or more optional things that extend the game, like quickmissions or stuff like that) 4) more configurable options (similar to editors point). Yes, some console games have each of those things. But far, far more PC games have more of them than console games. By a big factor. Yes, length doesn't mean that they are better but my point is not many people are exactly hurting for games to play on PC. Your 'point' is pretty much meaningless.

Dorks vs IGN - bountyhunter - 27th July 2004

Edenmaster, me and my friends also entered a nintendo tournament starting august 1st including SSB:M, I wonder if it a world tournament of types, if so good luck and your in for a treat.

I skipped some peoples posts sorry for that but I kind of get bored when I know exactly what I want to post.

There are two games I can guarentee every N64 owner has or had and they are Goldeneye and SSB, they were both awesome games and DAMN awesome with friends.

Some thing which is note worthy here is that I remember when the cube was first coming out and what people were saying about the games, I remember that people had already bought rogue leader and they didn't even have a cube yet, any way, melee was one of the reasons I got the cube at launch and I can see why people would be hesitant about a sequal coming out.

The biggest question on my mind is "what would be new" I loved seeing all these new characters and being able to do different things, I think that is the biggest reason for my wanting a sequal yet I can also see that there surely wouldn't be THAT much new content and so it would probobly be best if nintendo did keep a new SSB game as an ace, on a side note, yes a portable SSB game would be DAMN cool it's kind of some thing I have been wanting for a while in even the gba but the DS is looking good as a portable smash consol.

Dorks vs IGN - OB1 - 27th July 2004

Quote:The most revolutionary thing was the graphics. At that point in time such a change really was huge... bigger than a new graphics engine is now, for sure. And you know as well as I do that Doom multiplayer is on a slightly different level than Sonic... what a stupid example...
Do you even know what revolutionary means? Better graphics and multiplayer modes (that play almost the same as single-player) are not revolutionary concepts. Doom did not invent the genre, and it did not invent multiplayer. Sonic 2's multi was of course less influential, but the point still stands.
Quote:If you think that, then why do you dislike Gamespot? They're the closest to saying that of the game review publications I know of, after all...
Because they give lots of great games low scores and lots of shitty games high scores.

Quote:Of course I think that Medieval is a much better game than Serious Sam. Serious Sam isn't bad though, it's good, so it also deserves a good score... just not quite that good. Medieval is a fantastic game. ... okay, so I haven't played it nearly as much as I should. I'd rather play Warcraft III... But Medieval is really, really good and I can understand why Gamespot ranked it above WC3 in the 2001 awards. I don't agree, but I certainly understand how they could do it.

I also understand how they could rank Serious Sam game of the year, of course. Some people appreciate simplistic shooters a lot more than you do...
You have to judge a game a little more objectively than that.
Quote:As I said on MSN, I don't see why this is a point. So there are some more console games. So? Who cares? There are a huge number of great PC games. Far more than anyone could ever play, in just about every genre consoles have (excepting, probably, fighting games). And they have more replay value than most console titles due to such things as: 1) online multiplayer 2) map / level / game editors 3) longer games (or more optional things that extend the game, like quickmissions or stuff like that) 4) more configurable options (similar to editors point). Yes, some console games have each of those things. But far, far more PC games have more of them than console games. By a big factor. Yes, length doesn't mean that they are better but my point is not many people are exactly hurting for games to play on PC. Your 'point' is pretty much meaningless.
My 'point' is contesting your post, which denied the fact that there are far more AAA console titles than PC ones. That's all.