Tendo City
E3: PSP - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: E3: PSP (/showthread.php?tid=1909)

Pages: 1 2

E3: PSP - Smoke - 15th May 2004

I'm still hoping that they'll add one if developers ask for it like they did with the Z-button. But I doubt it.

As for the PSP, I hope they can improve the battery life. If it really is more like 2.5 or even 3 hours I'm going to be having Game Gear flashbacks. For me 6 hours is a minimum. I like to play games for long periods of time, even on a portable.

E3: PSP - Dark Jaguar - 15th May 2004

Yeah, and they'll add a second cross pad right behind the unit and call that a joystick if it's going to be JUST like the z-button thing... Remember how instead of a button mounted on the BACK of the controller, we got one mounted in FRONT of the two shoulder buttons that is the hardest button I've ever had to use?

E3: PSP - Smoke - 15th May 2004

Yes, that really was one of the worst thought out button placements ever. Right up there with the black and white buttons on the original Xbox pad.

Also, am I the only one who would rather have a larger analog stick and a smaller GBAish D-pad on the PSP? Which one is really gonna be used more?

E3: PSP - OB1 - 15th May 2004

A Black Falcon Wrote:Yeah. Only someone as determined to not admit he was wrong as OB1 would say that it's anything other than Sony not wanting to admit the truth... okay, so maybe they're also hoping to improve it. But that isn't the whole story.

But the analog stick... yes, a definite mistake on Nintendo's part. I don't know what they were thinking.

You're a dork, and again you are basing your entire argument off of nothing but speculation. They didn't reveal the battery life because developers are still working on it. You won't be seeing any game stream off the disc, that's for sure.

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 15th May 2004

We will see, OB1. But don't be surprised if you're wrong.

E3: PSP - OB1 - 15th May 2004

We'll see.

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 15th May 2004

OB1, the problem is that no evidence short of absolute proof from the actual unit will "convince" you -- and even then I have my doubts. For instance, this.

Nice comparison of the PSP and DS. Worth reading.
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/516/516005p1.html

(from one of the Nintendo IGN guys)
Quote:The PSP also has a high capacity disc format for developers to make some massive games. 1.8 gigabyte discs versus 128 megabyte carts means that developers aren't quite as restricted in their game designs. On the flipside, a drive is something that requires a motor, and that's an element that will come into play a lot more than people realize. After talking to developers, it's clear that, since the battery life of the PSP will significantly drop when hitting the drive to load data, game designers will most likely be encouraged to steer away from the "streaming" style of data retrieval. So games like Jak 2, where the seamless worlds and levels are assisted by in-the-background transparent disc streaming, will more than likely be cut back significantly if programmers can't figure a way around the battery life issue.

This part is interesting too, for a different reason... hadn't really thought of this for this case...

Quote:My biggest issue with the PSP is that, really, it's just a shrunk down current-generation console. In theory this sounds great, since you can take PS2-quality games on the go. But the problem here is going to be simply one thing: expectations. Budgets for PlayStation 2 game development encroaches and many times exceeds the million-dollar pricetag. And the GBA market has proven that US consumers aren't willing to pay a premium for portable games over console titles. But with the system's capabilities being so darn close to a PlayStation 2, gamers will expect a similar experience. So, Sony will have to set a MSRP at less than what an average PS2 game goes for. And that will cut into the profit structure of the publishers and developers, which means budgets to make these games will have to be sliced as well. It's a sticky situation that's currently a big question mark…will developers and publishers embrace the system even if it's not nearly as profitable to support as the Nintendo DS…or even the Game Boy Advance.

(easiest solution: porting. Unlike the DS, which is a much tougher console to port to.)

E3: PSP - Dark Jaguar - 16th May 2004

Ya know, before the SP, I had always thought an analog stick wouldn't really be theasible, but considering the fold up design, the stick can now be well protected just like the screen from damage while carrying it about. A short one that could fit inside that fold can now be possible without worries of breakdown. Anyway, just a random thought. I will say that the touch screen could very well serve the purpose of an analog stick. In an FPS though, I think it would be almost too easy to aim and shoot that way...

E3: PSP - alien space marine - 16th May 2004

Any images of the Disc?

E3: PSP - OB1 - 16th May 2004

ABF, you are so sad. You're actually trying to use the fact that I like to have more than conjecture to form an opinion on a matter as something bad. That speaks volumes on just how smart you are, methinks.

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 16th May 2004

No, I suspect that if you were in my position you'd do the same thing... and do, on occasion...

E3: PSP - Great Rumbler - 16th May 2004

Quote:My biggest issue with the PSP is that, really, it's just a shrunk down current-generation console. In theory this sounds great, since you can take PS2-quality games on the go. But the problem here is going to be simply one thing: expectations. Budgets for PlayStation 2 game development encroaches and many times exceeds the million-dollar pricetag. And the GBA market has proven that US consumers aren't willing to pay a premium for portable games over console titles. But with the system's capabilities being so darn close to a PlayStation 2, gamers will expect a similar experience. So, Sony will have to set a MSRP at less than what an average PS2 game goes for. And that will cut into the profit structure of the publishers and developers, which means budgets to make these games will have to be sliced as well. It's a sticky situation that's currently a big question mark…will developers and publishers embrace the system even if it's not nearly as profitable to support as the Nintendo DS…or even the Game Boy Advance.

I never really thought about that before, but it's an interesting point. PSP games are going to cost a lot more than DS games to make unless developers do a lot of porting and that could also be a problem since people may not want to spend even more money buying an almost identical version of a game they already have on the PS2.

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 16th May 2004

This is also interesting. From a Gamespot interview with Andy House of Sony...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/14/news_6098390.html
Quote:GS: Tell me about the PSP. Who are you aiming that product for?

AH: We think it is the early-end adopter of entertainment product and content. That puts it very firmly in our experience in the 18 to 34-year-old male category. But I think we’ve learned from the PS2 experience that there is a huge potential market in the teen’s area. I think it’s the biggest single segment on PlayStation 2 now, and has been, interestingly, very present right from the launch.

GS: Which tells you what?

AH: What I think it taught us is that there has been a shift. If you read any of the data, it will tell you that teens have more disposable income, more of their earned income, and more interest in entertainment than they ever had before--and we saw the benefits of that.

The traditional approach in terms of launching platforms would have been: for PlayStation 2, that $299 is a prohibitive price point for the teenage market, so it’s definitely going to be older adults with more disposable income.

GS: And?

AH: Well, clearly not so. Therefore, if you look at the opportunity for PSP and for mobile entertainment platforms, I think the benefits are even greater. Who is the age segment that is on public transportation and doesn’t have a driver's license and has time on their hands? It’s going to be the teen market. So, almost in equal measure I think, it’s going to be the usual suspects--the core of our audience that will buy this thing initially, but I also think that the teen market could be huge for us.

I happen to be very bullish about the potential wrap-up of PSP overall. I think given a couple of other trends: the fact that people are, almost to the degree of fashion items, prepared to invest and re-invest in portable devices that they take with them--this could be a faster wrap-up than we’ve even seen on any of our home platforms to date, and that’s very exciting.

E3: PSP - OB1 - 17th May 2004

A Black Falcon Wrote:No, I suspect that if you were in my position you'd do the same thing... and do, on occasion...

I would never say anything like that with nothing but speculation to back me up.

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 17th May 2004

I don't know, but you say things with nothing but opinion to back you up constantly...

E3: PSP - OB1 - 18th May 2004

Only when it's a matter of opinion, Einstein.

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 18th May 2004

You don't phrase it that way.

Whatever

You know that. Denial doesn't change anything.

You're an idiot.

No, you have serious comprehension issues. Did I ever say that it was a absolute, impossible to change fact that the PSP would have a 3 hour battery life? No. I did say it was very unlikely it would have a 10 hour battery life, sure, and I still think that. See, I said plenty of times that speculation and analysis is all we have to go on. And you know what? I think that IGN can do a decent job in speculating on battery life. Sony didn't invent some magical new technology. They are running this on known tech. So, the range it will be in is known. Now, might some games get 10 hours? As IGN said, it's possible, if the game minimizes disk use and graphical power (like their example of Bust-A-Move). HOWEVER. You are deluding yourself if you think that their analysis is totally invalid. See, their points ARE things worth considering.

-The PSP has some powerful hardware -- strong graphics chip, video playback, powerful hardware...
-It uses a media that moves
-It has a huge, very bright screen

Now, with just those things we can make some pretty good assumptions. But they had a few more good points.

-Many console games these days stream data; post-GTA, it's pretty common.
-The more the game pushes the system technology, the more it'll press the battery. As in, the highest tech games that push the system the most will likely also be the ones that reduce battery life the most. And games like to press systems as much as they can.

Now... you are saying that purely because we don't have ABSOLUTE FACTS that all of this is totally invalid. That is frankly an incredibly stupid position, one that I'd only expect someone as dead set in proving their opinion right as you would take...

But anyone else can add up the facts and see that this will have a definite issue as far as battery life.

How long will it be? I really don't know. I expect it'll be above 2 hours, but well below 10... 3-5, maybe 4-6, might be decent guesses for games. But that's just a guess... I don't know. But my point isn't that, it's that you cannot categorically ignore IGN's nice article and the good points it makes on battery life just because you wish it wasn't at least somewhat accurate.

Oh yeah, and that article makes me say that $299 is a good starting guess for the price of the PSP... assuming Sony will take a big loss.

E3: PSP - alien space marine - 18th May 2004

Maybe sony can offer a special Longer lasting battery preperal.

They should also have a plug in cord for those who dont want to waste battery power at home.

E3: PSP - OB1 - 19th May 2004

ABF, the biggest problem you have is that you don't know the difference between fact and fiction. Yes it's true that many modern games stream right off the disc, but if there's a technical limitation forcing developers not to stream off the disc, they will not do so! I have no idea why you can't understand this, and why you think of your speculation as "fact". Look up the word, genius, its definition may surprise you.

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 19th May 2004

That's a pretty weak rebuttal, I'd say...

E3: PSP - OB1 - 19th May 2004

So weak that you can't even come up with a rebuttal yourself.

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 19th May 2004

You can't just say "so no games will stream"! Okay, maybe fewer will. But the alternative is lots of load times, and/or more broken up worlds... I'm just saying it's not that simple. Oh, and I think I mentioned about five more points in addition to that one... :)

E3: PSP - OB1 - 25th May 2004

All of your points are baseless, just as this one is. If Sony tells developers that streaming is bad, they won't stream unless they're stupid.

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 25th May 2004

I haven't seen any articles saying that the number will probably be closer to 10 than 2... sure, we don't know the definite facts yet. But as all the articles I've seen say, all the signs point towards a battery life that will NOT get near 10 hours. It just doesn't seem like a likely scenario. Have you seen anything that says otherwise?

Yes, the Sony press conference where the rep seemed to indicate that it would be closer to 10 than 2. But again this is all speculation.

I'd call the Sony press people probably the last people to trust about such things... like everyone, of course they'll put the best possible spin on it! Like how Nintendo then said that that probably meant it'd last two hours.

Nintendo knows as much about the battery life as we do, and as their only handheld competition of course they're going to try and downplay it as much as possible. Don't be so naive.

Um, isn't what I said that Sony will overstate it and Nintendo understate it, so we can't really trust either one? Yeah, I think that was my point...

E3: PSP - lazyfatbum - 26th May 2004

haha, PSP inhales wet dong penis.

All of Nintendo's hand held's and portable systems sitting at a large dining table:

DS: *puts napkin in lap and cleans off fork and knife* I bet it'll taste like chicken!

GBC: I'm thinking more along the lines of ass.

GB Pocket: The Neo Geo was pretty good... Wonderswan gave me gas. I either love it or hate it... I really do see everything in black or white.

GBA SP: I hate puns. Remember the Lynx? and the Nomad? Good eatin there boy! woo, had to loosen my belt. I wonder if Tiger Electronics will try again... It's a good thing we're getting something to go up against because the market needs... DS... it's already missing it's head...?

Pikachu VMU: I outsold entire consoles... I mean, pika.

Original Gameboy: Why is everything so green? I hate green!

Virtual Boy: Was that a shot at me? That felt like a shot at me.

GBA SP: You ate the head already! Dammit, let papa Special get some!

DS: *mouth full of PSP* Get your own box.

PSP: (Dawg) No WAIT!!!! (true that) I have an analogue nipple! (off the hook) I HAVE AN ANALOGUE NIPPLE!!!!! (bling bling) *is eaten*