Tendo City
Saddam Captured! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Saddam Captured! (/showthread.php?tid=1382)

Pages: 1 2

Saddam Captured! - OB1 - 18th December 2003

You make no sense at all. You just spent an entire paragraph saying how teachers are able to do what they need to do to maintain discipline...

Saddam Captured! - A Black Falcon - 18th December 2003

But it's really hard to do when you know that if you do anything to upset the students you could be sued...

Anyway, I think most teachers can do a decent job if they try. I know that I had plenty of teachers that enforced rules... things like the case Weltall mentions are, I'd say, a condemnation of poor urban schools, not of the public school system.

That's not true. Lots of schools over here have had similar problems and they're mostly middle-class to upper middle-class.

Saddam Captured! - Weltall - 18th December 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
But it's really hard to do when you know that if you do anything to upset the students you could be sued...

Anyway, I think most teachers can do a decent job if they try. I know that I had plenty of teachers that enforced rules... things like the case Weltall mentions are, I'd say, a condemnation of poor urban schools, not of the public school system.

Wrong. The school, represented by the teacher, did the right thing (and got physically assaulted for doing her job). It was the system, the bloated bureaucracy, that condemned the teacher for enforcing the rules. It's the system telling us that students should be allowed to do whatever they want and damn the consequences, and the schools are at the mercy of this system.

It is this system that is to blame, and that needs to be replaced.

Quote:Wrong. The school, represented by the teacher, did the right thing (and got physically assaulted for doing her job). It was the system, the bloated bureaucracy, that condemned the teacher for enforcing the rules. It's the system telling us that students should be allowed to do whatever they want and damn the consequences, and the schools are at the mercy of this system.

It is this system that is to blame, and that needs to be replaced.

How does this make my statement wrong?

Quote:That's not true. Lots of schools over here have had similar problems and they're mostly middle-class to upper middle-class.

Students killing and/or beating up their teachers is common? Do you really mean that?

Quote:Students killing and/or beating up their teachers is common? Do you really mean that?

I wasn't referring to that.

But remember that Columbine happened in an upper-class school, although that problem wasn't really school-related.

True, but that kind of thing could have happened anywhere... all it needs are normal school classification of people and some disturbed, unpopular students...

And what were you referring to, then? Just 'teachers can't keep control over their classrooms'? Weltall seemed to mean it in a much harsher sense, you know, so when you agreed with him I couldn't be certain...