Tendo City
Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book (/showthread.php?tid=1321)

Pages: 1 2

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - A Black Falcon - 15th December 2004

Yes, once you finish it it makes more sense GR, but the perspective stuff is confusing while you're reading... I see what you were trying to do and it mostly works but it does make it a bit harder to read (not quite as clear or simple sentences).

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Weltall - 15th December 2004

I've read about half of Grumbler's story. I didn't know you were such a proficient writer!

Good stuff. Love the narratives. The constantly-jumping perspective is really confusing though. It's your story ultimately, but I recommend a single perspective. It's a wonderful idea though. I'll read the rest tomorrow, and take a look at some of your others also.

ABF: I'm not blaming either of you, but it's getting to be really disruptive. Both of you continue it, and both of you insist on having the last word. Regardless of who starts these fights, both of you have the capacity to be the bigger man and walk away. Don't take what I said as a threat, because what you're doing isn't dangerous. But it got to me here because this is probably my favorite thread on the board and it's a topic I love to discuss.

It's also not because you didn't care for my story. I don't expect everyone to like it, and even I have serious questions about how good it is right now. (though, I do have two new ones, and you're more than welcome to see if they strike your fancy.. though they are along similar lines. I write what I know :D)

(just for you, ABF, I formatted the fantasy story I've been working on, off and on, for about seven years.)

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - A Black Falcon - 16th December 2004

Quote:It's also not because you didn't care for my story. I don't expect everyone to like it, and even I have serious questions about how good it is right now. (though, I do have two new ones, and you're more than welcome to see if they strike your fancy.. though they are along similar lines. I write what I know )

I wasn't really serious. :) But it is true that horror isn't something I like all that much.

Quote:Good stuff. Love the narratives. The constantly-jumping perspective is really confusing though. It's your story ultimately, but I recommend a single perspective. It's a wonderful idea though. I'll read the rest tomorrow, and take a look at some of your others also.

I kind of agree, but not quite. It'd be hard to do it any other way... it is confusing (with such short sections to each person -- lots of books have multiple characters and switching, but with longer segments), but it seems like the only way to do it... and it makes sense in the end. I was more concerned about how it was written... it was kind of hard to understand at times with the perspective the book is written from. But that probably comes with experience.

Quote:You know, I used to do that, but then I got sick and tired of having to be the bigger man each and every damn time.

If you go through this thread you'll see very clearly who tried to pick a fight. I've just been making fun of his sad attempt to put me down.

I'd respond if your hypocricy in that post wasn't so clear...

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - OB1 - 16th December 2004

Great Rumbler Wrote:...

Did you even read the story?

I just did! And I'm impressed, that was really good, Johnny. When's chapter 2 coming?

I enjoyed the strange narrative with the shifting perspectives. You should really read "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" by Haruki Murakami. Terrific, wild story (or should I say, stories) with a very interesting story-telling device.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 16th December 2004

Quote:I've read about half of Grumbler's story. I didn't know you were such a proficient writer!

Truthfully, I didn't either until I started writing this one. Most of my other attempts were the most God-awful, cliched messes that you've ever seen, but I've slowly been getting better the more I write. I've started up another sci-fi story, this one's gonna be alot different, but I've only got one page so far. I may try to finish up another story I've been trying to write for a long time but got side-tracked on.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - OB1 - 16th December 2004

You should read that book I suggested. I think you'll love it.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 17th December 2004

Quote:When's chapter 2 coming?

Accidentally missed this. All 3 chapters and the epilogue are there, you just have to use a toolbar that's in the top-right corner of the page to go to the other chapters.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - OB1 - 17th December 2004

oh.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 17th December 2004

:D

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - A Black Falcon - 19th December 2004

It's not very complex, OB1... :)

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 19th December 2004

No it's quite easy, but I suppose if you've never been to Fiction Press before you might now know.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - A Black Falcon - 19th December 2004

Or fanfiction.net.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 20th December 2004

Never been there before.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Weltall - 20th December 2004

I'm going to plug my own now, it seems to be pretty popular.

"Night Terrors"

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 25th January 2005

After being on the back-burner for something like a year, I've finally revisited one of my better in-production short stories. The most notable change is a major overhaul of the first 2 chapters as well as the addition of the the third chapter. At 10,000+ words it's my biggest project yet. It's a sci-fi story set in the far distant future where the entire Earth has become a gigantic wasteland. The main character is a young girl who lives in one of the ancient cities. So read it. It's good stuff.

http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1701892

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 25th January 2005

Another update: The sci-fi storie I mentioned a few posts back is essentailly dead. After about 5 pages I realized I had no idea where it was going, even though I knew where it ENDED. Anyway, I've got another one in the works and I think it's going to be good. I don't have much of it done yet, but I'll upload it to Fiction Press when I do.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Darunia - 29th January 2005

I just resumed writing my latest Star Wars story. In it, I'm going to involve the characters at the Battle of Endor... since my character commands an Alliance Carrack Cruiser. He's going to command it, and I'm going to narrate the battle as through his eyes. I already dictated a scene from RoTJ; the Rebel debriefing right before Han & co depart for Endor. I wrote the dialogue exactly from the movie, so it blends well, and creates a sort bond with the movie. I'm up to 272 pages.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 29th January 2005

Ryan, I finally got around to reading Night Terrors. It's a really good story, I hope you write some more soon. In particular, I like the dream sequence [and the part with mirror]. It actually inspired me to start up a new story of mine. It's called "From the Darkest Depths of the Unconscious" and it started out as just a weird story that I thought, but it's slowly evolving into something a bit more complex.

http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1817486

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - OB1 - 30th January 2005

That's pretty neat, Darunia, but I thought you hated Star Wars...

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Weltall - 30th January 2005

Darunia is a Star Wars fanatic. Not quite to the same extent you are, but a fanatic nonetheless.

Grumbler: Thanks for the read. I read the first of your new one (and I'm amazed how quickly you produce, though I would if I actually had free time). I love stories about the subconscious and dreams, so I will definitely keep tabs on this.

I'm not an extreme SW fanatic for the sole reason that I do not hate everything and love everything about it at the same time. THAT is how the common SW fanatic is.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - A Black Falcon - 30th January 2005

What do you mean by that?

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 30th January 2005

Quote:nd I'm amazed how quickly you produce

The problem's that I'm not very consistant. There'll be months where I don't write anything, but if I really set my mind to it and it's something that I really want to do I can write about 1200 words in an hour.

A Black Falcon Wrote:What do you mean by that?

Do you know any SW fans? Those people are the whiniest bunch of nerds you'll ever meet. Just go to the theforce.net boards and you'll see what I mean. They complain about everything.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 30th January 2005

Or any of the threads at IMDB that are dedicated to Star Wars. Say, does anyone want to read a good story?

*raises hand*

You're supposed to click on the link.

... oh.

Yeah.

So, did you click on the link?

Yes but I did not read it... yet.

Or did I.....?

??

...!!

Erm

So did you read it or not?

Not yet.

Well...you're missing out!

Yeah well so are you by not watching Old Boy!

OB1...I'm beginning to question your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Weltall - 30th January 2005

THE LOTION AND THE MOTION

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - OB1 - 31st January 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:OB1...I'm beginning to question your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Yeah well I'm beginning to commit your question to motion!

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 31st January 2005

OB1, that doesn't even make any sense.

I just read that sentence like as if Ron Burgundy were saying it. Was that your intention? Because it sounded like something he would say, and it kinda looked like you might be trying to convey that mannerism across to me.

Writing a book, writing a book, writing a book - Great Rumbler - 31st January 2005

It's a quote from Donnie Darko, except for the part where I used "OB1". That wasn't part of the real quote.

Well it sounded like a quote from Anchorman.

Funny movie. It's like a live-action version of Sealab most of the time. Just crazy randomnocity.

I haven't seen it yet.

Really? You must see it now!