Tendo City
We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Den of the Philociraptor (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. (/showthread.php?tid=1051)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - A Black Falcon - 15th September 2003

Umm... no, OB1, its you who are making something that should be quite simple into a ridiculous arguement...

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - OB1 - 15th September 2003

Of course, ABF. Rolleyes

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Great Rumbler - 15th September 2003

Boktai totally ripped off Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Meatwad - "The bun is in your mind!"

Boktai - The sun is in your hand.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - OB1 - 15th September 2003

Holy crap you're right!

Oh crap...

I missed Aqua Teen last night!

:cry:

Damn you, Sassy Girl!! Damn you to hell!!

That was a really great movie, BTW. Have you seen it yet? The Korean movie "My Sassy Girl". It's one of the best movies I've seen all year. Make sure to get the official "HK Director's cut" version which can be bought here. It's the director's cut and has good subs, unlike the Korean DVD. Good overall DVD quality and the disc is really cheap.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Great Rumbler - 15th September 2003

My brother told me about that movie, he's going to buy it I think.

Last night's episode of ATHF was pretty funny, the Brak Show was pretty good too.

Frylock: You were reading "Butt Frenzy" again, weren't you?

Shake: What?! Of course not! Were'd you get an idea like that?

Hopefully it won't be long before they rerun that episode.

When are they going to start showing the Williams Street 'toons on other days besides sunday nights?

Yeah, they should show ATHF, Sealab, Space Ghost, Brak, and Harvery Birdman episodes during the week. Once a week isn't enough!!

Quote:Hopefully it won't be long before they rerun that episode.

Well, Season 3 is about 16 episodes long and that one was about episode 10.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - A Black Falcon - 15th September 2003

DJ doesn't seem to understand why you are so doubtful... and neither do I. Sure, DJ isn't serious often... but she IS serious sometimes. I know. Oh, sure, in TC DJ isn't serious much... but its not like it never happens, and when it does I trust that she's telling the truth. As DJ said, when someone mistakes a joke for a serious comment she corrects them... in this matter all the facts are very clear. At least all the facts, if you care to look at them... it is near-impossible to come to any conclusion other than "DJ lives in Oklahoma" if you have read those two threads I linked!

Oh, and here's a secret -- sometimes DJ can discuss serious issues. Without joking or dodging the issue. It is true -- it's happened several times in MSN...

Bah, that's impossible.

And you're crazy.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Dark Jaguar - 15th September 2003

I'm fairly sure he's accepted it now and is in a jocular mood, so allow me to say... my spoon is too big...

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - OB1 - 16th September 2003

Accepted what? That I didn't believe what you were telling me? I still don't!

You're not to be trusted... Suspect

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Sacred Jellybean - 16th September 2003

Quote:It's like this whole gender thing. She never gave us a straight answer as to whether or not she's a boy or a girl, but GR had enough evidence to prove it.

When did this happen? What evidence? Confused

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - OB1 - 16th September 2003

It's in the Emulation forum.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - A Black Falcon - 16th September 2003

DJ... just ignore him, its just OB1 showing his phenominal ability to absolutely deny the truth when it is staring right at him from irrefutable evidence...

OB1... just because you don't see DJ be serious much does not mean it doesn't happen. Actually, when me and DJ chat in IM, its almost always serious (as in DJ doesn't constantly joke and stuff)... maybe you don't see that side of DJ, but I have and I definitely trust that when DJ says its a fact, without joking, that DJ means it...

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Dark Jaguar - 16th September 2003

I think right now OB1's just joking actually.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Great Rumbler - 16th September 2003

It's hard to say really...

You guys are acting really strange. DJ is almost never serious and you can almost never take what she says seriously, so I don't know where you pulled this blind faith out of all of a sudden.

What is this "undeniable proof" you speak of? DJ's word alone? Come on now, don't tell me that you've learned nothing from knowing DJ for so long.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - A Black Falcon - 16th September 2003

Yeah, I can't tell. I think he actually might be serious for some bizarre reason.

So now all of a sudden you believe every word that DJ says? You must have a pretty awful memory.

Umm... yes, when DJ says she is telling the truth I believe her... do I think DJ dodges a LOT of questions? Yes. Does DJ joke around a lot on the forum? Yes. Is it sometimes hard to tell if DJ is joking? Yes. But... does DJ almost always say "no, I was joking" when someone takes a joke for a fact? Yes. Does DJ dodge lots of issues to a very annoying degree? Yes. But sometimes DJ talks seriously about stuff... generally games, but sometimes other things. And when she does, I believe her! I have no reason to think otherwise... DJ doesn't LIE to people, she just seems to think people can always tell the jokes...

And when we talk in chat? If its just the two of us it'll generally be a serious, not humourous, disussion and I definitely trust that DJ is being truthful there. We've talked more than enough to get me to do that... and of course to get annoyed at the times DJ refuses to talk about some issue there might be contention about, but oh well... I can live with that if I must... and that really isn't the point here.

I really don't want to post some chat transcripts, but if I REALLY must I guess I could attach a few and prove to you that DJ DOES have the capability to talk about games without going off-subject... though you should know that from teh few conversations you've had in chat when DJ was there...

And OB1. I see absolutely no cause whatsoever to accuse DJ of lying in the two threads I linked to a while ago. Just go and read them and see that there is no sane way a literate human being could really suspect it of being lies.

And if you're joking... you sound serious. I don't know... both of you are hard to tell for me when you are joking... but DJ seems to be better at making it clear when its a joke, for sure.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Dark Jaguar - 16th September 2003

Well that last post makes me think he's totally serious... The two above it had me convinced he must have been joking because it was in the same style as some of mine, in the "I'll make a comment so incredibly ridiculous it'll be hilarious" way.

In my own defense, at most message boards it's a lot more obvious to everyone when I'm joking. Wow, how'd we get back here? I thought we all agreed my jokes were made of pure comedy goodness that's plain obvious to EVERYONE (this sentence is a joke).

And I have been serious about a good number of things even on the board, mainly with other people here though. When I find someone is arguing about something I said that I never had any intention of actually convincing anyone of (just wanting to state something is all I wanted, not defend it), I'll only kinda half-defend my views since I honestly don't care about it. Again, why defend something I don't care about? I honestly don't want to defend everything I say. I don't want every single statement I make to be a potential conflict. That gets so draining... and besides that it's rude to just keep up the constant badgering of every word someone says. Yes, this statement is serious.

I always mix my seriuosness and humor. It's rather obvious to most where the difference lies, even to ABF here (who does have trouble) it's obvious when I am being serious, just not when I'm joking if it's actually serious or not, or something like that I think. The two need not be mutually exclusive after all.

I believe I've done a very good job of making it very clear when I'm joking as of late anyway. The confusion hasn't come up in a few weeks (though to be honest I've stayed pretty much the same elsewhere online since this is a uniquely TC "problem"). You say you aren't accusing me of lying, but to be honest I can't see your statements that you can't trust a single word I say as anything other than that. I am forced to assume you are being polite, like you are saying "well, I know you don't THINK you are lying" or some other backhanded Hank-Hill-istic attempt at being nice about it.

Now then, I am just about to "run away" as you call it from this particular thingymawatchit. Before I was just lightly commenting on things not really all that into the conversation (not joking or anything, but not really caring), but now it seems you really are looking to start something. Before I do this, I must state that my reasons are very simple. I refuse to continue in a debate that leads to nowhere. I believe I defended myself well enough, but you won't budge at all. Why should I stay again? This isn't fun at all really. If you take back one thing you believe in your next post, I'll return because it shows this is going somewhere.

Here begins my reasons for not joining in on a lot of debates here (though I do join in many debates at places like the snopes.com message boards, which I suggest you visit as proof of my claims that I actually like debating :D).

As I've said before, I find arguments with a lack of any logic to be very aggrivating. Now, I hardly use that much logic most of the time myself, not that it's my goal, but sometimes I do. In those cases, I am met with a totally blank response to my arguments like they weren't even said, and generally the very thing I went about debunking is just said again, as a counterargument of all things. For instance, the infamous abortion debate. Generally, during those times when I bother using logic myself and ask for my points to be addressed, I am met with "well your points are stupid for reasons I can't explain because they are so stupid", which is hardly a counter-argument at all. Had I made a point that really couldn't have been argued logically due to being fully illogical, it would actually be easy to point out WHY it was so illogical. For instance, you could have pointed out I was using circular reasoning, or being too arbitrary, or so on. Rather, no actual reasons for it being silly are given, and it's just stated as fact with no logical deconstruction. This isn't to say every single argument you make is illogical. Far from it. You two often do make very valid points at the start, but rather than go after the points themselves addressing any flaws inherant in them, or maybe even acknowledging that no real debate can take place because in this case the statements aren't really logical points but rather just opinion, you just argue. For instance, the controller comfort debate. It started out FAIRLY logical, for instance the listings of friends who like one over the other (using popularity of design as the standard for determining comfort in that case). It then quickly fell apart when it came down to just "but you can't like it because the buttons are all mushed together" type stuff.

Now, I won't say you have to change that, because you two say you LOVE it. It's the fact that you attack me for leaving those debates that annoys me. You acknowledge these very things yourselfs and relish in it, and hey I can see the fun in it because it's just plain hilarious to watch you two go at it (as I imagine it must be when I mistakingly get involved). However, when I just get annoyed at it and leave, it's become this ritual to insult me for it, as though I'm not "standing up for what I believe in". A rather silly thing to say after you acknowledge that it's a meaningless argument for fun isn't it?

In any case, I propose these two things be done. First, allow me to leave an argument you two are having without any comments on my character or whatever. If I feel it's best for me to just stay out of it, so be it. Even though ABF thinks not sharing one's opinions is somehow actually rude, it's not. Keeping one's thoughts to one's self is perfectly polite in every single situation except of course where it's your JOB to give your opinion on something. Secondly, I'll try to make it clearer when I'm joking or not IF, OB1 (since ABF doesn't seem to be having a problem understanding me any more since I made it a bit more obvious as of late), you go ahead and trust me a little more. You have no reason to of course. Not for the reasons you've come up with, but because I'm an anonymous blob online and you can't really proove a thing I say to be true or false, which in other words means I'm about as trustworthy as anyone else here, save Laser Link who you actually met in the corporeal world. I always say when I'm joking if a misunderstanding takes place like right after it happens. If I'm serious and others take me seriously, I don't say I'm joking. Easy enough, since I haven't said "Oh please I was just joking about living in Oklahoma", then you can assume I was stating it as a serious fact. From there, it's up to you whether or not you believe me even when I'm serious.

Now then, see? I can be serious sometimes, but even here I worked some jokes in (making it very clear what was and wasn't a joke). Let's put this whole half-year long debacle behind us now. It's been too long since that first weird confusion happened.

(Oh, one final note. Yes, I do dodge a lot of questions by joking. I do this for two reasons. One, I find keeping secrets amusing in and of itself, and two, often I don't have an answer to said question to begin with.)

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - OB1 - 17th September 2003

Good Lord, you people are taking this way to seriously. This whole thing started when I said that I finally found enough evidence for myself that DJ lives in Oklahoma after not believing her for so many months and then stupid-ass ABF here comes out and says "How can you NOT believe her ITS not like SHE ever JOKES AROUND she's SERIOUS and the EVIDENCE is right BEFORE you and IM the biggest IDIOT in the whole WIDE WORLD" and I'm just sitting here going "what the fuck are you talking about, stupid? Why is this suddenly a debate??".

Of course I didn't believe DJ when she said that she lives in Oklahoma, as she jokes around about this stuff all of the time. When I'd ask her if she lives over there she'd always dodge the question, which of course made me believe that she was joking about it. I've never seen her act serious in any msn chat and she's rarely ever serious over here. Perhaps she's serious with you, ABF, which might be because you lack any sort of sense of humor.

Really ABF, you need to take that giant stick out of your ass and go outside once in a while.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Dark Jaguar - 17th September 2003

So you finally believe me eh? Not once did you say above that you "finally found enough evidence to believe me", but rather you said you doubt every single statement I made. That's the only way I could interpret it anyway. You were the one being way too serious about it.

Well, chock it up to an idiotic misunderstanding.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - A Black Falcon - 17th September 2003

All the chatlogs I've got with Dj are most all serious... because its just more interesting to discuss things seriously!

And OB1... no, I'd hardly say that reacting badly when you say "I can never trust anything DJ has ever said" is "taking it to seriously"! That's a major accusation... and just not called for... of course it deserves a reaction!

Next... why does everyone think its so funny to watch me and OB1 debate? I don't really see that at all... sure, most of the subjects are almost wholly subjective and yet we debate them anyway... but oh well, I see nothing wrong with arguing about points of view. :)

Also... you use the abortion debate as an example, of all things? The only thing I'd use that as an example of is "what you get when you argue about a subject where neither side can even agree on the terms of the arguement so it very quickly devolves into circular yelling"... that's just about the worst and least successful (as a actual debate) that we've ever had... your question, if I remember it, seemed innocent on the surface but the very act of me answering it required me to admit that the other side is right! No way would I do that!

Also... we sometimes DO end our debates with a resolution and not just 'we're tired of arguing now'... sure, the latter is common, but its not like we never get anywhere...

Also, you just wouldn't know about how much logic is involved. You are NEVER there! You never read the actual arguements! How in the world can you judge it without much of any basis to judge it on!

And finally... debates are always better with more people involved. It helps keep them from just going to 'this is right, no this is, no this is' in circles since there are more points of view... one big reason that many of our debages go that way is BECAUSE no one else is there... but that fact makes a lot of you stay away... its a viscious circle that I don't see a way out of, unfortunately. :(

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - OB1 - 17th September 2003

Quote:And OB1... no, I'd hardly say that reacting badly when you say "I can never trust anything DJ has ever said" is "taking it to seriously"! That's a major accusation... and just not called for... of course it deserves a reaction!

It's uncalled for??! Which idiot died and put you in charge of defending DJ's character?? DJ always jokes and misleads people when it comes to her own personal information, so the only logical thing one can do is to simply stop believing everything that she says about herself and take it as a joke.

Now you are starting to become more annoying than DJ.

No offence, DJ, but you can be extremely annoying sometimes.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Dark Jaguar - 17th September 2003

I actually read a lot of your debates sometimes. God knows why... I just never say anything. You're right, but most of your arguments just don't interest us. It doesn't help that whenever someone tries joining in, you both have to have your own say about every single comment, which I imagine can annoy people, and the 3rd member of the argument kinda gets pushed out.

That's ABF's fault. I love having more people join in on debates... as long as they're on my side. :p

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Great Rumbler - 17th September 2003

I wish I got a dollar everytime DJ said a joke.

You'd be a trillionaire.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - A Black Falcon - 17th September 2003

Quote:That's ABF's fault. I love having more people join in on debates... as long as they're on my side.

My fault? No, its your fault! At least its your fault just as much as it is mine... :)

Quote:It's uncalled for??! Which idiot died and put you in charge of defending DJ's character?? DJ always jokes and misleads people when it comes to her own personal information, so the only logical thing one can do is to simply stop believing everything that she says about herself and take it as a joke.

Always? No. Often? Yes, but not always... and as DJ said, if its not clear when she's joking DJ always says something to make it clear! And DJ made this quite clear... and had many times in the past, too...

Quote:I actually read a lot of your debates sometimes. God knows why... I just never say anything. You're right, but most of your arguments just don't interest us. It doesn't help that whenever someone tries joining in, you both have to have your own say about every single comment, which I imagine can annoy people, and the 3rd member of the argument kinda gets pushed out.

That's usually not true... it can help sometimes... but as for the type of debates, I don't see how you could be uninterested in all the kinds of things we debate and be at a gaming forum, given how we debate all kinds of gaming-related topics...

And I just don't see how you can think that making a point and not backing it up is a fine way to go. See, no one is completely objective and perfect! There'll always be issues other people have with any position! Backing down and quitting... I can't see any other way to say that other than 'you don't want to argue the point anymore' followed by 'and thus you conceed that you are wrong'... I just don't see how making a contentious point and not backing it up makes any sense at all and puts any serious backing behind your point or position!

Clever OB1, how long did it take you to come up with that one? And, I never intend to actually mislead. I just am very fuzzy. It's YOUR fault if you actually interpret my total lack of any actual statement as info in those cases. I mean, you ARE OB1, you should know more than anyone what it's like to be hazy on a topic Mr. "Your father died a long time ago"!

One minute ABF is talking about how he never knows when DJ is serious, and now the fool is actually trying to prove to me that it's obvious when she's serious. :roll2:

Oh, how stupid you people* are. :grumpy:

*ABF for not noticing how DJ isn't being serious in a topic about how she's never serious

Uhh... I don't get you, OB1... you don't seem to be on the same topic as DJ and I.

I already said... I definitely have trouble telling when DJ is joking sometimes. That is true. Sometimes its obvious, like the posts in serious threads that are just made to try to 'add humor' (and are usually annoying in a serious discussion), sure... but not always, for me. But as I said... when DJ isn't serious and I mistake it as being serious DJ says so afterwards to correct it, pretty much every time! And when its just the two of us the discussion generally IS serious so that isn't a problem...

I never said it was obvious when DJ was serious! DJ said that... sorta, I think... :)

Quote:*ABF for not noticing how DJ isn't being serious in a topic about how she's never serious

Um, sorry, but DJ is being serious quite a lot in this thread.

She's been joking throughout the entire thread! Are you reallt that blind??

You actually think that DJ is joking when she clearly and directly says that she isn't? Uhh... no, I would never agree with that statement...

Oh brother. Rolleyes

Just re-read this whole thread, you blind fool!

Wow, you used to take me seriously even when I was joking. Now you think I'm joking even when I'm serious.

Yeah, its quite bizarre, DJ... I can't understand it. Sure, you don't like to be direct in the forums much at all, but I'd think that'd make it more clear that when you finally ARE that you mean it! I just don't get him... does he actually think that you were lying in this whole thread? That that two-screens-long post was invented and not sincere? Bizarre...

When I read this thread I see OB1 idiotically trying to deny that someone who is telling the truth is telling the truth, then saying that you don't belive a word they say and that that isn't blaming them of lying (while what it is doing is saying that you think DJ is lying 100% of the time and can never tell the truth... which is a really terrible thing to say... especially when all the prof shows you wrong.

This is being serious???

Quote:I'm fairly sure he's accepted it now and is in a jocular mood, so allow me to say... my spoon is too big...

Quote:I mean, you ARE OB1, you should know more than anyone what it's like to be hazy on a topic Mr. "Your father died a long time ago"!

Quote:Look, just because I REALLY live in Oz doesn't mean the evidence doesn't directly point to me living in Okie land OB1!

Quote:The IP Address is: xx.xx.xxx.xxx. The host name is: ipxx-xx-xxx-xxx.ok.ok.cox.net. Please click here to return to the thread.

Um, no. None of that was serious. As I've said, I joke while being serious too. What's wrong with that? You do it all the time yourself. Oh, well the last one was a joking way to get an actual point across (which I do a lot as well) since you seemed to lack the ability to check IP addresses temporarily. The first one was me seriously thinking you were joking, and thus I decided to join in by joking myself. The second one was a Star Wars joke. It was funny. The 3rd was me being silly.

I usually mix in jokes with my serious comments, but all the ones you listed were plainly obvious, to both you and ABF. Only, you took them to mean my entire post must have been joking as well, which I have to say is a first. Hey, I mean everyone at this message board mixes in jokes with serious comments. Why not go after them?

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Private Hudson - 17th September 2003

[Image: retard-puppy.jpg]

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - A Black Falcon - 18th September 2003

OB1... yes, those were mostly not serious (the first one was serious, or at least the first half of it was...), but as DJ says she mixes serious and joke together... in THIS thread for me at least the difference has been very clear... I'm surprised that you can't see it. It seems obvious to me...

Okay... OB1, go and actually READ DJ's two-page post a while back. Then come back. That should answer your questiuons... DJ says in that post

Quote:I always mix my seriuosness and humor. It's rather obvious to most where the difference lies, even to ABF here (who does have trouble) it's obvious when I am being serious, just not when I'm joking if it's actually serious or not, or something like that I think. The two need not be mutually exclusive after all.

I recommend you read that post... because if you did you sure didn't pay any attention to what it was saying...

Oh, and I'm sure that expecting DJ to respond to my response to that post is way too much to ask. :(

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - OB1 - 18th September 2003

ABF, we've already established several times in the past that you are a souless automaton who doesn't even know the meaning of the word "joke", so don't try to tell me when someone is joking or not.

There's nothing wrong with you joking, DJ, I was just pointing out to Captain Doofus here that in the thread about whether or not you're joking or serious most of the time, most of your posts are jokes! That completely flew by ABF.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - A Black Falcon - 18th September 2003

You just aren't getting it at all, are you OB1... not one bit... oh well, I've pretty much given up. You clearly aren't interested in getting it...

"most of his posts are jokes"? You just don't understand DJ at all! As DJ said... yes, there are jokes in the posts, but there is serious stuff too! Together... and even I can tell which is which!

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - OB1 - 18th September 2003

Rolleyes

You just refused to admit that she's been adding jokes to her posts throughout this entire thread, and now you're finally admitting that you were wrong, albeit in your own weird way.

We're friends again, as it's finally been realized by both of us how stupid this is. - Dark Jaguar - 18th September 2003

Um, I don't think ABF ever said I wasn't adding any jokes. He was just saying I was also being serious and not joking about absolutly everything. You know, the biggest illusion people have about communication often enough is that it's been accomplished :D. When are we finally going to learn to communicate via pure thought?

You're so-called seriousness is pretty pointless when you mix it up with a joke. Nothing you have said in this thread (except for that rant about debates) has been very serious.

Pointless? How exactly is making serious points "pointless" if you add humor? I don't see anything wrong with that... and most of what she said was serious! Sure, DJ added in some jokes, but that hardly detracted at all from the main points that were made, very clearly and seriously... and I just see absolutely no way to say that DJ hasn't been very serious here. If you honestly think that you are badly deluded...

Now I know why some people call this a "no you're wrong and I'm right" match. Except that this time I'm actually explaining how DJ's points cannot be taken to seriously because they are filled with so much sarcasm and joking. You're just saying "No, you're deluded!". Some of the things she says can be taken seriously, but those moments are few and far between. When she says things like "Yeah I really have blonde hair, but you should be aware that not all cows can jump over the moon", it's hard to take the sort-of serious part seriously.

Going back to the bottom post listed in the 'create post' page.

Umm... you just aren't making any sense at all... so because DJ in many cases finishes a statement with a joke I should think that the serious comments that come before it are lies? That makes no sense! As DJ said, she mixes jokes and serious stuff... and in this thread the line is very clear. Usually its been serious comments followed by a joke... which doesn't affect the point of the serious comment whatsoever...

Quote:I'm fairly sure he's accepted it now and is in a jocular mood, so allow me to say... my spoon is too big...

SHe thought you were joking about it so made a seroious comment followed with a joke.

Quote: I think right now OB1's just joking actually.

Serious.

Quote:Well that last post makes me think he's totally serious... The two above it had me convinced he must have been joking because it was in the same style as some of mine, in the "I'll make a comment so incredibly ridiculous it'll be hilarious" way.

In my own defense, at most message boards it's a lot more obvious to everyone when I'm joking. Wow, how'd we get back here? I thought we all agreed my jokes were made of pure comedy goodness that's plain obvious to EVERYONE (this sentence is a joke).

And I have been serious about a good number of things even on the board, mainly with other people here though. When I find someone is arguing about something I said that I never had any intention of actually convincing anyone of (just wanting to state something is all I wanted, not defend it), I'll only kinda half-defend my views since I honestly don't care about it. Again, why defend something I don't care about? I honestly don't want to defend everything I say. I don't want every single statement I make to be a potential conflict. That gets so draining... and besides that it's rude to just keep up the constant badgering of every word someone says. Yes, this statement is serious.

I always mix my seriuosness and humor. It's rather obvious to most where the difference lies, even to ABF here (who does have trouble) it's obvious when I am being serious, just not when I'm joking if it's actually serious or not, or something like that I think. The two need not be mutually exclusive after all.

I believe I've done a very good job of making it very clear when I'm joking as of late anyway. The confusion hasn't come up in a few weeks (though to be honest I've stayed pretty much the same elsewhere online since this is a uniquely TC "problem"). You say you aren't accusing me of lying, but to be honest I can't see your statements that you can't trust a single word I say as anything other than that. I am forced to assume you are being polite, like you are saying "well, I know you don't THINK you are lying" or some other backhanded Hank-Hill-istic attempt at being nice about it.

Now then, I am just about to "run away" as you call it from this particular thingymawatchit. Before I was just lightly commenting on things not really all that into the conversation (not joking or anything, but not really caring), but now it seems you really are looking to start something. Before I do this, I must state that my reasons are very simple. I refuse to continue in a debate that leads to nowhere. I believe I defended myself well enough, but you won't budge at all. Why should I stay again? This isn't fun at all really. If you take back one thing you believe in your next post, I'll return because it shows this is going somewhere.

Here begins my reasons for not joining in on a lot of debates here (though I do join in many debates at places like the snopes.com message boards, which I suggest you visit as proof of my claims that I actually like debating ).

As I've said before, I find arguments with a lack of any logic to be very aggrivating. Now, I hardly use that much logic most of the time myself, not that it's my goal, but sometimes I do. In those cases, I am met with a totally blank response to my arguments like they weren't even said, and generally the very thing I went about debunking is just said again, as a counterargument of all things. For instance, the infamous abortion debate. Generally, during those times when I bother using logic myself and ask for my points to be addressed, I am met with "well your points are stupid for reasons I can't explain because they are so stupid", which is hardly a counter-argument at all. Had I made a point that really couldn't have been argued logically due to being fully illogical, it would actually be easy to point out WHY it was so illogical. For instance, you could have pointed out I was using circular reasoning, or being too arbitrary, or so on. Rather, no actual reasons for it being silly are given, and it's just stated as fact with no logical deconstruction. This isn't to say every single argument you make is illogical. Far from it. You two often do make very valid points at the start, but rather than go after the points themselves addressing any flaws inherant in them, or maybe even acknowledging that no real debate can take place because in this case the statements aren't really logical points but rather just opinion, you just argue. For instance, the controller comfort debate. It started out FAIRLY logical, for instance the listings of friends who like one over the other (using popularity of design as the standard for determining comfort in that case). It then quickly fell apart when it came down to just "but you can't like it because the buttons are all mushed together" type stuff.

Now, I won't say you have to change that, because you two say you LOVE it. It's the fact that you attack me for leaving those debates that annoys me. You acknowledge these very things yourselfs and relish in it, and hey I can see the fun in it because it's just plain hilarious to watch you two go at it (as I imagine it must be when I mistakingly get involved). However, when I just get annoyed at it and leave, it's become this ritual to insult me for it, as though I'm not "standing up for what I believe in". A rather silly thing to say after you acknowledge that it's a meaningless argument for fun isn't it?

In any case, I propose these two things be done. First, allow me to leave an argument you two are having without any comments on my character or whatever. If I feel it's best for me to just stay out of it, so be it. Even though ABF thinks not sharing one's opinions is somehow actually rude, it's not. Keeping one's thoughts to one's self is perfectly polite in every single situation except of course where it's your JOB to give your opinion on something. Secondly, I'll try to make it clearer when I'm joking or not IF, OB1 (since ABF doesn't seem to be having a problem understanding me any more since I made it a bit more obvious as of late), you go ahead and trust me a little more. You have no reason to of course. Not for the reasons you've come up with, but because I'm an anonymous blob online and you can't really proove a thing I say to be true or false, which in other words means I'm about as trustworthy as anyone else here, save Laser Link who you actually met in the corporeal world. I always say when I'm joking if a misunderstanding takes place like right after it happens. If I'm serious and others take me seriously, I don't say I'm joking. Easy enough, since I haven't said "Oh please I was just joking about living in Oklahoma", then you can assume I was stating it as a serious fact. From there, it's up to you whether or not you believe me even when I'm serious.

Now then, see? I can be serious sometimes, but even here I worked some jokes in (making it very clear what was and wasn't a joke). Let's put this whole half-year long debacle behind us now. It's been too long since that first weird confusion happened.

(Oh, one final note. Yes, I do dodge a lot of questions by joking. I do this for two reasons. One, I find keeping secrets amusing in and of itself, and two, often I don't have an answer to said question to begin with.)

Mostly serious, but some jokes mixed in. They don't change the points the post makes, for sure... nor should they make anyone ignore DJ's interesting points just because there are a few non-serious lines mixed in...

Quote:So you finally believe me eh? Not once did you say above that you "finally found enough evidence to believe me", but rather you said you doubt every single statement I made. That's the only way I could interpret it anyway. You were the one being way too serious about it.

Serious.

Quote: I actually read a lot of your debates sometimes. God knows why... I just never say anything. You're right, but most of your arguments just don't interest us. It doesn't help that whenever someone tries joining in, you both have to have your own say about every single comment, which I imagine can annoy people, and the 3rd member of the argument kinda gets pushed out.

Serious.

Quote: Clever OB1, how long did it take you to come up with that one? And, I never intend to actually mislead. I just am very fuzzy. It's YOUR fault if you actually interpret my total lack of any actual statement as info in those cases. I mean, you ARE OB1, you should know more than anyone what it's like to be hazy on a topic Mr. "Your father died a long time ago"!

Serious comment, then joke. Doesn't change meaning at all.

Quote: Wow, you used to take me seriously even when I was joking. Now you think I'm joking even when I'm serious.

Serious...

Quote: Um, no. None of that was serious. As I've said, I joke while being serious too. What's wrong with that? You do it all the time yourself. Oh, well the last one was a joking way to get an actual point across (which I do a lot as well) since you seemed to lack the ability to check IP addresses temporarily. The first one was me seriously thinking you were joking, and thus I decided to join in by joking myself. The second one was a Star Wars joke. It was funny. The 3rd was me being silly.

Serious.

Quote:Um, I don't think ABF ever said I wasn't adding any jokes. He was just saying I was also being serious and not joking about absolutly everything. You know, the biggest illusion people have about communication often enough is that it's been accomplished . When are we finally going to learn to communicate via pure thought?

Serious.